The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pac Man VS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Pac Man VS Reply with quote

So... this game always seemed like something I wanted to try, but couldn't. It only came with a game I didn't want to buy, and it required a lot of friends with GBA->GC connectivity.

NOW, It's goning to get released on the DS!

It looks like I'll actually get to play this game now, and at only $20. Oh god, and I really want this to be wifi, I may actually pull out my wifi dongle for this.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pac Man VS Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
It only came with a game I didn't want to buy, and it required a lot of friends with GBA->GC connectivity. It looks like I'll actually get to play this game now, and at only $20.

Ok, first off, you could only ever play it with a single GBA plugged into the GameCube. One player has the gba and the other three use the TV. Second, the game comes with Pac-Man World 2's Player's Choice release, which is $20. Third, this version will be missing the entire draw of the original, and that was tangibly passing the GBA and controllers around the room when someone loses/wins, and being able to play a game with non-gamers where they have pretty much the same chances of winning that you do. Playing on the internet with people who are hard-core into games sounds like it'll quickly turn into the exact opposite of that.

I'm glad they're re-releasing it, but it's too bad they're packaging it with a game that I'm sure most of us already own in one form or another, and it's even more unfortunate that you'll have to use friend codes.

Seriously, track down a copy of Pac-Man World 2 instead. It's a better way to be able to play the game for $20.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least with the DS version some people (like me) who don't have three friends, will have a chance to play in a full game.

Also, I did play this once in college and it is grand!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pac Man VS Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Seriously, track down a copy of Pac-Man World 2 instead. It's a better way to be able to play the game for $20.

Hey, cool, I didn't know this. What game did it come with originally? Or was it the same one.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story: I went for a job interview at Blitz games in Cheltenham Spa, and I spoke to a guy who was director on one of the Pac-Man World games. He was an Aussie. I asked him if he was proud of the games, and he said 'nah mate, they're shithouse ' Then he called me a wanker for talking about Ico and Shadow of The Colossus. The UK gaming industry, there.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do talk about those two games a whole lot in the "art" sense. I roll my eyes when someone brings either Ico, SoTC, or Katamari Damacy up for anything. I like the games, but ugh, enough already, play something else.

Anyway, I too am looking forward to this PacMan Vs on DS. I can actually get a game going. It's a bit tough now since all my friends exist in different states. It's pretty lonely out here, sometimes. Thanks, internet.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
People do talk about those two games a whole lot in the "art" sense. I roll my eyes when someone brings either Ico, SoTC, or Katamari Damacy up for anything. I like the games, but ugh, enough already, play something else.

I gott say, when I was working at Ubi Soft, designing shitty games, not because I really wanted to mind you, it was pretty annoying when my producer returned from E3 gushing about Ico, which had just made its debut, specifically its concepts and mechanics. Hearing about the games usage of "love" and how it was so damn "artistic" over and over again made me want to hate the game before I had even seen a single frame of it. Not helping was all the "well, why can't you think of something so awesome?" comments, followed by "okay, you now have to rip that off".

As for Katamari, I will also admit that I after going to a number or anime and comic shows, and knowing a bunch of folks that are into the scene, I'm kinda tired of hearing about that game too. Yeah, its WACKY!!!!! We all know. Once at Otakon, someone just said the name out really loud, and instantly, a dozen different folks, most of whom were not associated with each other, started humming and singing the theme, and instead of being cute, it sent shivers down my spine.

But anyway...

I though Pac Man Vs was pretty brilliant back when it came out, but the one time I tried playing it, the experience was frustrating, simply because no one understood how to really play it. And it was kinda tricky, perhaps a bit too complicated, with the whole trading off of controllers, and I just didn't feel like correcting everyone every two minutes. Anyway, I have a feeling the DS will offer a better mode of play.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad this game has found a less expensive home. as i've pointed out before, phantom hourglass's multiplayer is essentially a ds version of pac-man versus. it'll be nice, though, to have an actual ds version of pac-man versus.

they need to put the arrangement series from namco classics collection on this thing. the only home release those have ever gotten is on a digital eclipse compilation.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:

I gott say, when I was working at Ubi Soft, designing shitty games, not because I really wanted to mind you, it was pretty annoying when my producer returned from E3 gushing about Ico, which had just made its debut, specifically its concepts and mechanics. Hearing about the games usage of "love" and how it was so damn "artistic" over and over again made me want to hate the game before I had even seen a single frame of it. Not helping was all the "well, why can't you think of something so awesome?" comments, followed by "okay, you now have to rip that off".

There's something I'm missing, here. If you're the designer, and you didn't want to design shitty games, then why didn't you just design them to be non-shitty? Ditto those Pac-Man world guys. I refuse to believe there's someone higher-up saying 'Ok guys, you need to make this game 100% shitty or we miss our projected target for Q4.' I would type something like 'make better games or stop grumbling and stop blaming the producers for your own failings,' but that would be silly and presumptious of me, since I don't know you or your situation.

Pijaibros wrote:

They're pretty interesting to talk about though because they represent some kind of way forward in term of narrative within videogames, which no-one's really followed up on since.

Hey I remember why I got bored of videogame forums now. It's because debate is stuck at the ideas contained within the last revolutionary game. We'll talk about the same things round and round until the next amazing game comes out, and then we'll talk about that. Sea changes in opinion only come with the release of new games, not through the exchange of ideas.

Having said that I realise that most people on VG forums are just there to meet people and make buddies who they can play Jet Set Willy Live Arcade against, and not really interested in expanding the parameters with which we discuss and understand this exciting new medium or whatever. So it's sort of my fault for expecting too much of the internet ; _ ;
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
There's something I'm missing, here. If you're the designer, and you didn't want to design shitty games, then why didn't you just design them to be non-shitty? Ditto those Pac-Man world guys. I refuse to believe there's someone higher-up saying 'Ok guys, you need to make this game 100% shitty or we miss our projected target for Q4.' I would type something like 'make better games or stop grumbling and stop blaming the producers for your own failings,' but that would be silly and presumptious of me, since I don't know you or your situation.

Probably because someone above him was saying something equally ridiculous, like, “Make his shield shoot lasers! I want lasers!” without giving any thought as to how that will impact everything else or how there isn’t enough time for it to be implemented properly, if at all.

I have one of the games he worked on, and it couldn’t have seemed like a winner from the start. Like any other job or industry, there are people in positions that don’t know what they’re doing and seem to maintain employment through a deal that involved their soul and a demon. We've had stuff altered for reasons about on par with releasing something shitty just to get something out - which happens (see: strategy first 2000-2002) - but it happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: