The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GameTap + Sega Saturn = Yipee!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: GameTap + Sega Saturn = Yipee! Reply with quote

I plan on doing a piece on GameTap shortly, and this gives me a good bit to talk about: BUG! is hidden in the latest GameTap update as an (easter) egg. [Gamasutra News Post].

I've been waiting for some Saturn titles to hit the service for a while now. I was really struck at how well the Dreamcast titles had come along during the beta phase, and the company recently touted their commitment to the system with the announcement that they keep the Dreamcast alive and well via their service. This, along with their increased catalogue of impressive PC titles, is really making it a viable option for me. Well, as long as I get the appropriate controllers and USB adapters.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug got ported to the PC, so I'm remaining skeptical.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As for Bug!'s appearance on the service, the game's description explains that the debut is '...a hidden one-week sneak peek of planetary proportions', and continues: 'Stay tuned for the launch of more games for the Sega Saturn later this year.'"

There were only about 10 Saturn games ported to PC and released in the U.S., but beyond that the company has every other - except maybe the first Mark somesuch - Sega console represented. It's looking good!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got this press release today:

Quote:
Hello Wes,

As you probably heard, Japan just announced it will be ceasing production and support of Dreamcast games this fall, which will officially end the availability of Dreamcast titles internationally. So unless you own a vintage Dreamcast console and copies of all the games, your days of enjoying Dreamcast games will officially be coming to a close soon. Or will they?

For as little as $6.95 a month, you can play GameTap and experience a wide variety of games in their original coded glory, including beloved classics from the Dreamcast. Great titles like Crazy Taxi, Hydro Thunder, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and Prince of Persia ®: Arabian Nights are all available, all the time, for this one low price - plus you get another 800+ games (including originals like Sam & Max and Myst Online) and GameTap TV programming.

If you’re covering the so-called ‘death of the Dreamcast’ and want info about how the adored console lives on through GameTap, or if you’d like a comp code to try out GameTap firsthand, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Clint

And it just made me skeptical of whether they're actually providing the Dreamcast versions or if they're just providing the PC versions and calling them Dreamcast versions. Don't get me wrong, GameTap seems like a pretty great thing, and if I played PC games I'd be all about it, but I don't really think they should be misleading potential customers.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like GameTap a whole hell of a lot more if I could own anything. I don't like paying for a service (esp at $15 a month) and coming away with almost nothing to show for it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for panzer dragoon saga speculation itt.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it all wrong, it's going to be on the Wii.
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy bacon lips why are you unwelcome at select button? we need heroes more than ever!
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they calling the dreamcast vintage Sad

hi crazybacon lips! your account at SB is approved!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
crazy bacon lips why are you unwelcome at select button? we need heroes more than ever!

there are no more heroes
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
There were only about 10 Saturn games ported to PC and released in the U.S.

But that list includes DARIUS GAIDEN

so either way, you win!
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

played Bug!

whoa, it's pretty ugly, with the way this version smooths out all the grainy sprites.

it was probably always ugly in its own way, though. I remember playing it when it was new in a blockbuster kiosk circa 1996 and becoming bored with it in about 2 minutes.

I decided to ask my aunt if we could RENT a Playstation instead, with a copy of Destruction Derby. Now, that I've written that, I'm beginning to think that playing Bug at that moment in time was the deciding factor for my later preference for Sony's 32 bit system (I only recently obtained a Saturn in 2006). Do they even do system rentals, anymore? I was twelve then, for reference.

Anyhow, if this means they just hand us down a few of the Saturn PC ports, that's alright with me. Getting anything more would be nice but just too good to be true.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
I decided to ask my aunt if we could RENT a Playstation instead, with a copy of Destruction Derby. Now, that I've written that, I'm beginning to think that playing Bug at that moment in time was the deciding factor for my later preference for Sony's 32 bit system (I only recently obtained a Saturn in 2006). Do they even do system rentals, anymore? I was twelve then, for reference.

Man, Destruction Derby was kind of awesome as a single player multi player game. Get a bunch of friends, get really intoxicated, then set the difficulty all the way up and pass around the controller in the giant open circle track and see how long you can survive.

Another great early PS1 game like that was survior on the first Driver game. You basically start out and about a hundred cops want your car dead. See how long you survive! I think my longest run was only 1:30 or so.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Man, Destruction Derby was kind of awesome as a single player multi player game. Get a bunch of friends, get really intoxicated, then set the difficulty all the way up and pass around the controller in the giant open circle track and see how long you can survive.

Another great early PS1 game like that was survior on the first Driver game. You basically start out and about a hundred cops want your car dead. See how long you survive! I think my longest run was only 1:30 or so.

I've been waiting for my chance to say this for a long, long time.

Matt, you've got terrible taste in games.

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Why are they calling the dreamcast vintage Sad

hi crazybacon lips! your account at SB is approved!

I wuv you.

How did they get Saturn games working on GameTap? They are TEASING I tell you. Ports of the PC versions, I presume, but this is almost as bad as pasties.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've been waiting for my chance to say this for a long, long time.

Matt, you've got terrible taste in games.

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong. Their not good games. They're just kind of awesome under certain circumstances. You should come over and bring Driver for the PS1!

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
You should come over and bring Driver for the PS1!

Believe it or not.... I don't have it! I did play it, but those were in my "burn this shit for me, man!" days.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: