The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mate them so that the children can be happy [Piñata]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Mate them so that the children can be happy [Piñata] Reply with quote

Ok, so once a long time ago Wes told me about this game, and that it was good and I didn’t belive him.

For Xmas I bought the game for my wife because it looked like she would enjoy the combination elements of Farming (well gardening) and the unique spin on the Pokemon collectors’ battle cry of “gotta catch ‘em all.”

After watching her play for many, many hours and earning her master breeder techniques thought long nights and weekends I realized that Rare actually made a pretty damn good game. If I hadn’t spent as much time watching my wife play it I would really want to have played it myself.

The ability to add a very unique flair to everything you do and place in the game is balanced very well with the seemingly massive amount of task management the game will throw at you. Within the first 4 hours the game had thrown literally so much at the player that it seems like it would be impossible to actually do them all. Slowly you realize what’s important and what’s not and work on your priorities. Before you know it you’ve become absorbed in this magical and very realized world of Viva Piñata.

Considering that the last game of Rare’s that I personally enjoyed was Blast Corps, this game was pretty refreshing to see something very well done come out of such a tired company (I won’t deny Golden Eye, but that’s just not my thing baby). The reason I’m creating this thread is because now Viva Piñata has a downloadable demo for the 360. Hopefully some people will take the dive and give this game a chance.

Heed my warning: Don’t be like me!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphical style of this game creeps me the fuck out (moreso than most other rare games). I will say from the bit I played at GDC, the death animation for the pinatas when you beat them to death with a shovel is the happiest death animation I have ever seen.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

officially the best (or ummm only good) game they've made in ten years!! congratulations rareware!!!!!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
officially the best (or ummm only good) game they've made in ten years!! congratulations rareware!!!!!

That's better than some companies!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
sky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: viva pinata Reply with quote

Viva Pinata is a delightful combination of harvest moon and animal crossing with ever so addicting qualities of pokemon. I have basiclly beat the game, but I am driven to make every possible pinata part of my garden. It's rather terrifying how entertaining these monotonouse games can be. I just love them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: