The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphones/Earbuds thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Headphones/Earbuds thread Reply with quote

Apologies if there was already a headphones thread. I couldn't find one and I know that there was some previous discussion, I think it was chunked in the middle of a thread about something else.

So, having just picked up a Micro, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of headphones/earbuds to use with it. I'd like something quality that's still portable, since, uh, it's a portable device and all.

My current owned eardevices are:

- Huge Sony DJ cans. I believe that they're the same ones that dhex has. Audiophile folks talk shit about them; they've worked out pretty good for me. That said, they're really too heavy/clunky to be good carryin'-around listening devices.

- Earbuds that came with the PSP. These are relentlessly shitty.

- Earbuds that came with my old iPod. These are also fairly shitty, although they're way better than the PSP earbuds.

So! Reccomendations? Suggestions? Tales of woe?
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bose has earbuds now which I hear are awesome if you can afford to pay for the Bose name. I use shitty earbuds anyway when I use earbuds.

But for genuine headphone goodness Yamaha has NEVER let me down. Not that they've ever let me down when it comes to speakers either.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony MDR-EX71s.

About $30-40, partial isolation (so you can listen at low enough levels that you won't blow out your ears and also be that douchebag whose ipod I can hear from halfway down the bus, but you'll still hear cars about to run into you and such) and good enough sound for anything you'll play on your GBA, certainly. They're all I use outside.

If you can find a pair of black ones go with those over the white; the cord on the white ones is a softer, clingier rubber which abrades much more easily.

If you ever buy anything from Bose, you've just spent too much money.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard a lot of good things about Sennheisers, although I forget which small/portable pair was the favored one. It does seem that most of their stuck is on serious sales on Amazon, especially their large can-type audiophile headsets. That isn't what I'm looking for; for those that are, I suggest checking it out because they're known for consistently good cans and I really enjoyed the sound I got from the ones I've listened to.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a set of Sennheiser HD 497s for just over a year and a half. They've yet to let me down.

I've also found their service reliable--when my cord broke, I was able to order a replacement for about ten bucks. Good deal.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid Sony headphones, I've had three pairs now (one over the ear, ear-buds and two pairs of studio monitors) and each has failed within a short period of time or were very uncomfortable.
thatbox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Grado recently came out with some portable form factor 'phones that are quite nice, so make sure to give them look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatbox wrote:
I think Grado recently came out with some portable form factor 'phones that are quite nice, so make sure to give them look.

Hahaha, those are just the cans from the SR-60s with a behind-the-head design. They are still huge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
thatbox wrote:

Hahaha, those are just the cans from the SR-60s with a behind-the-head design. They are still huge.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/igrado_white.htm

Man, if those are even just slightly more portable SR-60s I should get some.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
a behind-the-head design.

I hate these style of fucking headphones.

Anyways, I highly recommend these Sennheiser.

I gave mine to my wife because I wanted to upgrade to their more audiophile ones. I personally don't like Grado as they are just too damned heavy. They feel like putting on lead earmuffs.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
thatbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Joe wrote:
a behind-the-head design.

I hate these style of fucking headphones.

I gave mine to my wife because I wanted to upgrade to their more audiophile ones. I personally don't like Grado as they are just too damned heavy. They feel like putting on lead earmuffs.

Which Grados have you tried? My SR-60s are pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Grados are shit for outdoor or otherwise populated environments, though (so are mine!). They're all open, meaning all that sound out there is coming right in with the music, and the music is going right out and bugging the hell out of that guy 10 feet away.

Seriously, after you try some partial isolation stuff (not earbuds, but partial canal-phones, like those Sonys I mentioned) in an active environment you won't want to go back.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I actually wound up going with the PX100s because they were on sale and because as far as I could tell from customer reviews/talking to audiophile friends, the big difference between the two models is the more prominent bass on the PX200s, which isn't a big deal for me, as I tend to like a more monitor-like sound.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatbox: I've tried SR60's and SR80s. They're just a bit too heavy and tight on my head.
Scratchmonkey wrote:
I actually wound up going with the PX100s because they were on sale and because as far as I could tell from customer reviews/talking to audiophile friends, the big difference between the two models is the more prominent bass on the PX200s, which isn't a big deal for me, as I tend to like a more monitor-like sound.

Well, the PX100's are pretty good, but I prefer the enclosed can style of the 200's. They have not only better bass, but they have really, really amazing bass.

About all Senns: Take the music with the heaviest bass you have then play it on medium volume for about 3 hours after you first get the headphones. The bass needs to "breath" or some shit. I thought this was crap but after I got mine I went to the internet to rant about the PX200's and then saw that recommendation. I tried it and it opened the bass a lot. I was told this is how all Senns work.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when they get here I'll bust out some Eat Static and blast that for a while.
thatbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Your Grados are shit for outdoor or otherwise populated environments, though (so are mine!). They're all open, meaning all that sound out there is coming right in with the music, and the music is going right out and bugging the hell out of that guy 10 feet away.

Yeah, their one weakness. Well, that and the whole CORDS GET TWISTED THE HELL UP thing, but it's a fun diversion to detangle them occasionally.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, here in NYC it's a bit of a game for me: spot the hipster! He knows those white ipod earbuds are SO 6 years ago, and the Grado SR-60s just exude that indie appeal. But shit! he can't hear a thing from them, so he's just wearing them around his neck, lookin' fresh! Rock on, musicless hipster-dude! I bet that Arcade Fire woulda BLOWN YOUR MIND.

PS: I can't get arstechnica to load for me lately, but I remember they did a round up of portable headphones a while back that you should be able to search for. Google says it starts right here. I remember they compared PX100s & 200s, for one thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: