The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost the will to play anything at all. Well, except Blocksum which reminds me that I'm still terrible at every single puzzle game I've ever played.
Even Yoshi's Cookie!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought FFV Advance over the weekend. I've been playing it befor going to bed. I still think this may be the best FF ever made. I haven't played FFVI yet though. Perhaps later this year.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that port? I have the PSX version but after hearing how Final Fantasy IV Advance turned out I'm afraid to try it.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
How is that port? I have the PSX version but after hearing how Final Fantasy IV Advance turned out I'm afraid to try it.

It's not bad. I haven't noticed any problems, but then again, I wasn't really bothered by the FFIV problems so I'm probably not the right person to ask (not that you asked me in the first place!). I'm about half way through FFV right now and I'm enjoying it. I'm currently stuck on the mountain where you get the Golem Summon.

My copy of Final Fantasy VI just arrived and now I'm torn. I'm trying to decide whether to try to finish FFV first or just jump into VI and put V on hold. I love me some VI, but I've never beaten V and I'd like to.

Also: Matt, you should look into picking up VI soon. The GameCrazy by my house doesn't carry GBA games anymore and I suspect that within a few months other game stores will follow suit. It's a dark, dark day.

In related news, The Bit Generation games are on sale at Play-Asia and you can save $5 on any order over $30 using the code CHEAPASS until Feb. 16th.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
In related news, The Bit Generation games are on sale at Play-Asia and you can save $5 on any order over $30 using the code CHEAPASS until Feb. 16th.

Which games are good?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Which games are good?

In order of goodness (IMHO!):

Coloris
Orbital
Digidrive
Dotstream
Soundvoyager
Dialhex
Boundish

Really they're all pretty great, with Boundish being marginally terrible and Dialhex being slightly above average.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Coloris, Dotstream and Soundvoyager based on suggestions from Dessgeega. Coloris was $25 but with the $5 coupon I didn't mind.

They're sold of orbital! Also, they put Sweet Paradise and Portable Island back to full price ;_; I'm still unsure if I should get Osaremajo Love and Berry or not.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news about the Bit Generations, Wes.

Since I finished Hotel Dusk, I decided to power up F-Zero GX and see what I thought of the game after spending some deliberate time with it.

First things first: Harveyjames was right when he said that the game aesthetics are awful. The character design is hilariously bad, the cars aren't much better, and many of the tracks feel molded out of some super-metal-ugly-alien world. The cutscenes (which, for some reason, you have to buy) are only slightly less funny--one of the ones I have watched features a Captain Falcon with thighs each bigger around than his torso.

Beyond that, my main criticism of the game is that the cars themselves drive very boringly. They're fast, no doubt, but don't require any special technique other than turning. Yes, you can shift your weight in mid-air, and there are ways to 'attack' your enemies, both both of these nuances are completely underimplemented during racing, and come across as mostly useless. This places the burden for holding my interest squarely on the track design, which is alarmingly hit-or-miss. There are a few tracks (One called something like Mute City: Serial Gaps and another called Half-Pipe are definite stand-outs ) that really require a lot of thinking, and balance the difficult maneuvering through them with the always-crowded racing field (thirty-car competition is the game's biggest strength). Most of them are only interesting at specific points, though, and there are too many that are so bland that I can literally take my eyes off the screen for more than five seconds and have nothing bad happen to my race.

It's much more forgiving than the original F-Zero in terms of damage taken by driving the course badly, and this does nothing to emphasize the finesse that defined the original.

Still, I'm going to play it some more and see if I can't find some more good to say about it.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always felt that the driver-specific theme songs were pretty boss.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octoman's theme is great.

f-zero x is a much better game though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
F-zero AX is a much better game though.

Fixed.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
octoman's theme is great.

Oh hells yes.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject, has anyone played the GBA F-Zeros?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Killer 7 for the first time last night. I played straight through the first chapter and couldn't put it down! When does it start to suck?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I played Killer 7 for the first time last night. I played straight through the first chapter and couldn't put it down! When does it start to suck?

Actually, if you really are enjoying it so far it only gets way better.

Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockstar presents Table Tennis (as a rental).Nice, fast paced. The 'rally' music reminds me a little of System Shock 2's techno.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the way the music ramps up as the volley continues, but at the same time I wish there was more music in general since I like what little there is.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I really like the way the music ramps up as the volley continues, but at the same time I wish there was more music in general since I like what little there is.

I like it how the music ramps up to a certain point, then the lights go down and the crowd slowly becomes muffled to the point where you can barely hear them. Then before you know it it's like there are just two spotlights on you and your opponent.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey up all.

At the moment I'm playing through Killer 7 on the Gamecube, and though i'm not entirely sure what to think of it all, I'm enjoying every second. There's been at least 5 times when I've jumped out of my seat with glee at the inventiveness of it all.

Also, I've been playing a bit of the old Umihara Kawase, trying to beat the game in under five minutes, and am getting there bit by bit. It hasn't left my import converter for days.

Apart from that, I play a lot of shooters. A bit of Ikaruga now and again, a bit of Touhou every so often, and i've been playing ESP Ra.De. on MAME a bit too much, so all I can see at night is green and purple dots.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey up yourself, new friend.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been rediscovering the joys for pre-FFVII Final Fantasy. To wit: Final Fantasy V Advance.

After an abortive attempt at playing FFIII on the DS, I decided to give V a shot, since a major gimmick, jobs, is essentially very similar between the two. Where I intensely disliked III, I've loving V.

I'm not sure if I've discussed it too much here, but I've been riding a wave of RPG strong dislike for quite some time, since Wild Arms for PS1. I no longer have the time to play them that I did back in the SNES days, and just getting from point A to point B in a lot of newer games takes forever, I think a lot because of the severely overblown graphic effects that accompany every attack, and ten minute fully animated cut scenes, etc. But I can go into more depth elsewhere-- this is supposed to be about what I'm playing.

FFV is really charming. It's no masterpiece like IV and VI, but it's got a lot going for it, and I can play a half an hour a day on a handheld system and get some pretty decent enjoyment out of it. The job system makes for quite a bit of variety too. Like I said, if anyone wants to discuss it in more depth, we could always start another thread to discuss "one of the more underrated Final Fantasy games".
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
FFV is really charming. It's no masterpiece like IV and VI, but it's got a lot going for it, and I can play a half an hour a day on a handheld system and get some pretty decent enjoyment out of it. The job system makes for quite a bit of variety too. Like I said, if anyone wants to discuss it in more depth, we could always start another thread to discuss "one of the more underrated Final Fantasy games".

Let's do it. I'm playing it too and even though I'm enjoying it I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that nearly all of the tile sets are rehashes of FFIV. I really don't like how Galuf's world looks essentially the same as the world the four heroes are from.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:

It's not bad. I haven't noticed any problems, but then again, I wasn't really bothered by the FFIV problems so I'm probably not the right person to ask (not that you asked me in the first place!).

Oh! I missed this, but since FFV came back up I figured I would mention that there are some bugs, but no where near as bad as the ones in IV (those were related to combat). The bugs I have found are that the game drops to about 1/2 framerate when more than 2 NPCs are onscreen at the same time. Basically this only happens in towns and not even all the time. It's just weird, not frustrating (like the IV bug is).

I hear that while V doesn't have the same bugs as IV, VI does have those bugs again. Weird.

I said this in another thread in another forum, but I've been (finally) re-playing Final Fantasy V on the GBA. This really is my favorite FF game I've played (which is basically all but III, VI, and XII). Because it basically throws you into the job system right off the bat, you get to start messing around with things quickly. I looked at the job system less as something to "collect them all" and more as something to change up when you eventually get a little bored of things. Also, replaying it after all these years, I still feel like it was pretty good at using cinematic technique within such a small scale. But, I mean, it's not like the story is a front runner in the games priorites, which is a good thing considering how horrible some of the FF stories are.

Also, I don't like the change of two of the characters mugshots for the converstions ;_;

elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized how addictive Quest mode in VF4 really is.

I think I've just gave a large chunk of my future away.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day, I picked up a copy of the PSX port of You Don't Know Jack at a Florida flea market.

You Don't Know Jack is fucking amazing, guys. It is a twelve-year-old, wise-cracking, pop-culture-referencing trivia game that is still funny and does not feel dated. That is an accomplishment, friends! It knows that the amount of time it has to wait before repeating its own dialogue so that you think it's cute instead of obnoxious is about once every couple of games. It responds to your impatience (pressing the buzzer before the answers show up) and indecision (taking too long to pick a category). According to Wikipedia, it even gets angry if you type in "fuck you" as the answer to a type-in question. It's basically the most human piece of software ever written. (Jellyvision kindly gives away their game design secrets on their webpage.)

My wife once got an Impossible Question (worth $20,000 but brutally hard and non-multiple-choice) that went, "What is the third word of the third verse of the third act of Shakespeare's third play?" AND GOT IT RIGHT.

There's even filk! (Warning: Soul cancer.)

I kind of want to start a tribute thread, but I don't know how much more there really is to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
You Don't Know Jack is fucking amazing, guys. It is a twelve-year-old, wise-cracking, pop-culture-referencing trivia game that is still funny and does not feel dated. That is an accomplishment, friends! It knows that the amount of time it has to wait before repeating its own dialogue so that you think it's cute instead of obnoxious is about once every couple of games. It responds to your impatience (pressing the buzzer before the answers show up) and indecision (taking too long to pick a category). According to Wikipedia, it even gets angry if you type in "fuck you" as the answer to a type-in question. It's basically the most human piece of software ever written. (Jellyvision kindly gives away their game design secrets on their webpage.)

My wife once got an Impossible Question (worth $20,000 but brutally hard and non-multiple-choice) that went, "What is the third word of the third verse of the third act of Shakespeare's third play?" AND GOT IT RIGHT.

There's even filk! (Warning: Soul cancer.)

I kind of want to start a tribute thread, but I don't know how much more there really is to say.

There is a lot to say! I played almost all of the games in this series except the theme based ones, so I know a lot and would love to discuss it. That game was way ahead of its time.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who worked on those games.

I believe that at least originally, they were done by the same people who made the After Dark screensaver modules for the Mac.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! And they did web versions of YDKJ and other games (mostly I remember Acrophobia) that I used to play all the time.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned through Alien Shooter: Vengeance last night. Now I'm trying the survival mode. Not a bad way to spend $20, but if someone wants to save $20, let me know because I'm done with it.
nICO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I finally bought FFV Advance over the weekend. I've been playing it befor going to bed. I still think this may be the best FF ever made. I haven't played FFVI yet though. Perhaps later this year.

i started replaying ffvi a couple days back. it's even better than I remember it. maybe even the best rpg i've played. v is alright, though i never felt compelled to finish it.

i had bought ff xii recently, but disliked the first 10 hours so much i just exchanged it for lunar knights.

so of course lunar knights is my current ds game. i'm a couple hours into it now, but still can't tell whether i even like it or not. unlike contact which i enjoyed for some reason even though i'm still unsure if i consider it a good game.

has lunar knights been discussed yet? i'm curious about some other opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the plot in warcraft 3 is totally disposable and stupid. why is everyone at war? why is the undead so intent on destroying the world? why do the orcs and humans hate each other? why is anything happening in this game????
i mean, in the end, it doesn't make a difference, but it would still be nice to have some sort of motivation going on. it's still pretty fun.
AJ 187

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Yeah! And they did web versions of YDKJ and other games (mostly I remember Acrophobia) that I used to play all the time.

You play all the good games, Alice. Sad

Also, old, yet relevant to the discussion:
Daily Dis or Dats at YDKJ.com

Seriously, playing the YDKJ games as a kid was one of the most refreshing and awesome experiences I ever had. (especially the so called "easter egg" in the gibberish questions.)

@ Scratchmonkey: Berkley (the people behind After Dark) published the games, Jellyvision made them.
a_plus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget that paul ruebens (sp?) was the host of the ydkj tv show!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
has lunar knights been discussed yet?

It seems like this one is all you right now. Get the ball rolling! I'm interested, at least.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. I've been thinking of grabbing LK because I like the character designs. Although I need another game to play right now like I need a hole in the head.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Chapter 4 of Lunar Knights right now. So far each chapter has taken around 20-40 minutes, so it's not a bad game to play on the go or in bed on a lazy morning.

Overall it's kind of like a slightly darker, more streamlined version of Boktai. I always liked Boktai, but the solar powered gun charging always seemed to get in the way of my ability to play it casually. Lunar Knights gets rid of this feature and thus has a much more casual feeling about it - with a flow that ends up making it feel sort of like a puzzlish Diablo in a way.

It's worth mentioning that there have been a few hints that the game might require you to go through some arbitrary bullshit backtracking later on, but I haven't encountered it yet. There's also a good chance that it's limited to side quests so for now I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm starting to feel like I'm not actually saying much with my description, so I might as well stop. Essentially, from what I've played so far it seems like a fun video game with a good sense of flow. If you expect more from Kojima you might be disappointed, but if you don't mind getting your fun without much substance to it you'll probably have a good time.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
and don't forget that paul ruebens (sp?) was the host of the ydkj tv show!

I never did get to see that but always wanted to. I don't think it would top the game's hosts though, some of them were great.

And the fake commercials! Oh I loved those, I have the CD somewhere that came with the fourth game full of them. When GTA 3 did the same thing and people said it was genius, I was crying foul.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to F-Zero GX yesterday. It's better than I gave it credit for last time. In particular, some of the tracks I trashed are more interesting than I had thought, I just wasn't thinking about them the right way. One of the races, for instance, has you racing on the outside of a big pipe the entire time. You can drive all over the outside of it, gravity be damned, but the tricky part comes when you try to think about getting on the inside track for big 3-D curves.

And the garage is a lot of fun!

I still wish the cars themselves were more interesting in the way they handled.

And this game is much harder than, um, Mario Kart.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just reached stage 45 in llamatron, which is almost halfway through the game.

the thought that i'll be seeing jeff minter in person in a few weeks blows my mind.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Dead Rising which has been excellent so far (on par with MGS3 for sheer quality, I'd say). I don't know that I'll have the paitence to go through and complete the full game for the TRUE ending, but I'm certainly still enjoying it so far.

I also played the Prey single player demo which I thought was silly and dumb and horrible. About the only thing I liked was the doors on the alien ship that are gigantic gaping assholes which you can walk through and then contract.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's similar to the first stage in Requiem: Avenging Angel then?
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. Maybe? Does Requiem: Avenging Angel have spinchter muscle doors? IS THIS COMMON IN GAMES AND I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT?!?!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first stage has you running through gigantic red colons with things stuck in the walls (possibly bits of corn or maybe people-things, it's been years since I last played it) and dog-type things with no eyes. If I can remember right there's a part where you have to fly over a pit full of these giant worm things that may actually be gerbils rendered in a highly abstract way.

It was fucking pioneering colon rendering in 1999! Eat that Human Head, you unoriginal twats.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Avenging Angel didn't turn out to be such a completely average game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning people into salt was pretty fun.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading in the preview that you would start naked and your first objective would be to find clothes. That would have been awesome, but they must have wussed out or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you weren't punished for killin' folk you could rob a bum and nick his gear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the chance to play some where do rub rabbits come from?

i was disappointed to see it has the same plot as the original (which has the same plot as donkey kong). i can only arrange so many baseless heterosexual romances.

the protagonist randomly falls in love with some lady while passing her on an escalator and begins to stalk her, along with twelve other silhuoettes. a couple stages into the game the protagonist has a brush with another character while chasing his love interest, and she in turn falls for him. i let myself get excited for a moment: maybe from here on we'll play from her perspective, chasing the previous protagonist! maybe the game will be a huge, soap operatic chain of lovers playing minigames!

but of course not. what happens is: she becomes the villian, chasing after this poor man. what? she's the villain? when her motivation is equally as baseless and her methods equally as obnoxious as the protagonist's? that's bullshit. i'm not buying it.

you rabbits can rub yourselves.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty stupid! Your idea would have made a much more interesting game. In fact, someone should make that.

EDIT: Sorry, but seriously, I have this new fucking colour scheme. It's seriously hurting my eyes and is uncomfortable to look at.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i can only arrange so many baseless heterosexual romances.

You're the only person I know who would assume a game called "Where do babies come from" would involve homosexual romance.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 12 of 85

Jump to: