The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where d'ya get yer gaming news?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: where d'ya get yer gaming news? Reply with quote

i just realized that i've been relying on word of mouth to hear things about video games, and don't really know of any quality gaming resources/blogs/aggregators/etc! please post your usuals!

i used to check the insert credit front page every so often, but it's pretty much dominated by obscure import fighting games and shooters i'll never play. gamesetwatch is rather good, though! and every couple of months i'll think about looking at slashdot games, then remember why i don't keep checking that one. other that than i'm in the dark. how's 1up? i could never get that one to load without waiting for a long, long time.
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or, you know, not necessarily just "this game is coming out this day!" type stuff, but places with more in-depth looks at gaming, like that gaming quarters one or whatever it's called
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of mine from tigsource.com for the free, cheap and casual games I play mainly, and rely on selectbutton's forums for console type gaming news. since I don't have a high end system most PC gaming news sources are moot for me.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General TGQ/SB activity, the select button news thread, gamespot reviews page, tigsource/indygamer/gsw/gamasutra, gamerankings new release page. In about that order.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PALGN, Computerandvideogames and a couple other sites live bookmarked, and just check those. Usually I bookmark the developer sites themselves if stuff they make is generally good. I have an RSS feed for mods I'm watching as well (Mmm, hurry up and finish Black Mesa Source already).
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to these places (probably in this order):

http://www.kotaku.com
http://www.joystiq.com
http://blog.wired.com/games/
http://games.ign.com/
http://www.gamespite.net/
http://www.insertcredit.com/
http://www.selectbutton.net/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/
http://www.ncsx.com/
http://www.the-magicbox.com/
http://www.davidjaffe.biz/

And I tend not to really pay too much attention to the news threads on forums since the sites have pretty much everything covered.

-Wes

EDIT: Yeah, it's a little late to clarify, but I'm going to anyway. Many of these sites aren't really worth reading outside of their news, but news doesn't have to be well-written to be informative.

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't!
a_plus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahoo! thanks for the links, wes
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're brave all you have to do is sit around on neoGAF and hit refresh. You'll have more news, and worse opinions, than you know what to do with.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost exclusively rely on gamerevolution.com but they aren't really the most up-to-date group of people. but they try.

other than that - its mostly from reading forums and such. but i do like GRs style of reviews, for sure.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rely on the news threads on selectbutton for general gaming news. Obviously, if it's not there, it's not worth caring about.

I also have a bunch of free subscriptions to game magazines (EGM, Game Informer, etc...) so if there's anything that slips through the crack of the internet hive collective, I can find it in a magazine while on the can.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty much strictly word of mouth. if a new bioshock vid comes out or whatever, someone usually lets me know eventually. i get some stuff from kieron gillen's blog since we have some taste overlap.

information on older games comes almost entirely from message boards. 1up and ign's pc sections tend to be anemic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of mouth. tigsource and gamesetwatch for free/obscure stuff. Gamerankings if I'm just really curious what's come out recently.

The problem is that word of mouth isn't usually hateful enough, at least right off.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why you must cultivate the hatefulness inside, grasshopper.
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PALGN, Aussie-Nintendo, TGQ/SB.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a good place to ask this: since so many people seem to rely on forums like these and SB for news, do you think it would be worth it for me to do weekly frontpage posts where I pick highlights from the news thread and elsewhere on the forum which point out interesting news that might not have been covered on larger sites?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get all my news from the gamer's quarter magazine.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
This might be a good place to ask this: since so many people seem to rely on forums like these and SB for news, do you think it would be worth it for me to do weekly frontpage posts where I pick highlights from the news thread and elsewhere on the forum which point out interesting news that might not have been covered on larger sites?

I'd say work more on getting news to the front page and stressing that big stories will hit there for casual readers. I really hate it when blogs do "in case you missed it, here's a post with links to every article we posted in the last week" posts, because it feels like they're greedy for eyeballs and banner ad clicks. The whole point of stuff like RSS is to aggregate the content for you, so you don't need shit like that.

Not that I read select button or anything.

(Also wow, I figured Joystiq would have one of those posts, but not the first one on the page when it loaded)
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i get all my news from the gamer's quarter magazine.

Unlike other magazines which go to print three months before the publication date, this magazine goes to print three months after!

Okay that was cheap, sorry.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

I'd say work more on getting news to the front page and stressing that big stories will hit there for casual readers. I really hate it when blogs do "in case you missed it, here's a post with links to every article we posted in the last week" posts, because it feels like they're greedy for eyeballs and banner ad clicks. The whole point of stuff like RSS is to aggregate the content for you, so you don't need shit like that.

Well, the thing is, SB isn't much of a news-oriented site, so it's less like what kotaku or joystiq does (which I also hate) and more like a "here's what you missed if you weren't browsing the forums", which I figure might be kindasorta useful.

On the other hand, as you say, it may be better just to put an increased focus on making frontpage posts about news as it's revealed in the forums. On the other other hand, that's a bit more work than doing a weekly roundup. On the other other other hand, I don't have a job so that's not really an excuse ;_;
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think splitting posts from the news thread wouldn't be too hard if you have enough moderators. How often does a news story get posted there big enough to not already have it's own thread. For the first six months of reading IC I never once clicked on the news thread and I don't believe I missed too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: