The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forecast Channel!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Forecast Channel! Reply with quote

I woke up this morning to a delightful little update. I never thought checking the weather could be so much fun. Come on, News Channel....

The fact that Iqaluit is only -23 is frightening. It should be that temperature here!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! It only took a month!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
david

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humbug!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I predict that I will be turning my Wii on daily now.
david

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it would show the expansion of the Twilight...
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fucking Wii is messed up. Every time I try to connect to the internet I have about a 5% chance of it actually working. Today I hit retry around 10 times before it even attempted to download the update. Then I sat and looked at the download bar for 5 minutes as it sat still, then left for work with my system on. I hate it that this stuff doesn't happen automatically while my system is turned off. It doesn't make sense that they would connect to the internet to let me know that when I've got the time I can manually sit for an hour and download the update. Just download it while the system's off!

Trash.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have that same issue. My Wii is configured with the same router and connection settings as my always-working-online 360, but it never works. It kind of tries once in a while, and then doesn't do anything. Not even my Wi-fi USB Connector works with it (kind of does the same thing. It'll connect for like 5 seconds, then disappear).

I'm guessing that either the firewall and security stuff on my family's computer is preventing it from doing anything, or...I don't know.

I brought my Wii to work and installed the USB adapter software, and it worked perfectly, system update and all.

So I don't get it. Maybe we have too many microwaves, watches, alarm clocks, whatever, and the Wii's signal isn't strong enough.

Last edited by Tim on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I have the occasional connection issue with the Wii, but not constantly.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the Wii is hyper sensitive to networks. Try going into your network settings and changing your wireless router's channel to either 1 or 11 (it's probably at 6 right now). It worked for me

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It doesn't make sense that they would connect to the internet to let me know that when I've got the time I can manually sit for an hour and download the update. Just download it while the system's off!

-Wes

WTF? What does the Wii need to download (except virtual console games)? Don't tell me they are going to start patching games.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
WTF? What does the Wii need to download (except virtual console games)? Don't tell me they are going to start patching games.

The Weather and News Channels aren't a part of the Wii system software yet, so you're waiting for the update that fills in their slots on the Channel Menu. Apparently a demo of the Web Browser is due out on the 22nd too, so we'll be able to mess with that too.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they started patching games too, especially in the case of networked titles. If the user's experience can be improved by a simple download why not allow it?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I found a frustrating glitch with the weather channel: If you have WiiConnect24 (the general internet service) turned on but have your system set to power down instead of going into standby, the channel complains that WiiConnect24 itself is turned off. I have the machine powering down because its internet connection is through my WiFi USB adaptor running on hacked drivers (to, you know, make the damn thing actually WORK), and wireless waves floating around the house creep me the fuck out, so I turn the thing off when I'm not using the Wii. It's too uncomfortable to wear my tinfoil hat to bed, and if I have no internets beaming towards the Wii I don't see the point in having it on standby. It's annoying to have to turn the standby mode on and off just to use the weather. On the bright side, the weather channel is really cool, and it was the same temperature here last night as it was in Sapporo, Hokkaido! Now that's neat!

I just can't wait for the LAN adaptor, tho.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather channel is incredibly useful to me, I'll be turning my wii on every day now.

I have had zero problems connection my Wii to the internet, it took me five minutes. I find this odd since I usually have mountains of trouble connecting anything to my network because I have a z-grade router.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, seriously, I'm actually a little impressed with this. It's much better than I figured it would be.

Now I want news... yeah I'm greedy.

Opera Wii Browser beta starts on Friday! Flash games will be playable.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the forecast channel is amazing. giving the globe a spin and watching it revolve in space is delightful.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this out in the UK yet? I left my Wii with my dad while I do work. I'd phone him to see but it's 1am and by now he will be on the sauce.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And hopefully playing Zelda while on the sauce.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Is this out in the UK yet? I left my Wii with my dad while I do work. I'd phone him to see but it's 1am and by now he will be on the sauce.

It was activated here in Australia last night, same time as America, plus you can check the weather every where in the world including the UK, so I assume so.

And yes, playing with the globe is lots of fun. I like how much effort they put into this thing. It would be cool to set up a screensaver mode where the earth spins around slowly and stuff or something!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently some Wii games actually use the forecast channel to replicate the real actual weather conditions in the real actual world right now. So if it's lightly snowing in Texas, and you play Madden and pick the Texas stadium, it will be actually lightly snowing in the actual Texas Stadium in the actual game. That is some oh shit-type shit to get your mouth watering as the Wu-Tang Clan would say.

And this isn't crazy theoretical future talk that probably won't happen- this is in a game people are playing right now.

!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only lists Edinburgh in Scotland ;_;

Where is the love for Glasgow
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the forecast channel is amazing. giving the globe a spin and watching it revolve in space is delightful.

I want Google Earth on the Wii this very instant.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
So apparently some Wii games actually use the forecast channel to replicate the real actual weather conditions in the real actual world right now. So if it's lightly snowing in Texas, and you play Madden and pick the Texas stadium, it will be actually lightly snowing in the actual Texas Stadium in the actual game. That is some oh shit-type shit to get your mouth watering as the Wu-Tang Clan would say.

And this isn't crazy theoretical future talk that probably won't happen- this is in a game people are playing right now.

!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude they were doing that shit in shenmue like a million years ago.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I also want this, but doesn't google earth have a system requirement of 1 GB HD space? How would they get around that?
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madden is in my Wii. Right now. Oh god! Awesome.

_Marcel Duchamp
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Wilkes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I also want this, but doesn't google earth have a system requirement of 1 GB HD space? How would they get around that?

Big ol' SD card.
Slonie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan gets different iconography for their weather, Not Japanese Wii users, but actually the map seems to show different icons for Japan than the rest of the world!

Seriously, look at it...The cloud over Tokyo is a cute little line-art cloud and the one over San Jose is pseodo-photorealistic. Strange and sort of funny if you start to consider possible reasons for it. Japan probably requires a different icon set anyway, to represent Mothra attacks, etc.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Wilkes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I have a 2GB sd card in my Wii.

I could download it; I don't know about you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the Wii is hyper sensitive to networks. Try going into your network settings and changing your wireless router's channel to either 1 or 11 (it's probably at 6 right now). It worked for me

Oh cool. Yeah, I'll try that, because I think there's another network nearby that we're picking up. Whenever I search for an access point, I see two SSID's listed; ours (outlined in green) and some other name below it (in red).

And for some reason last night, my System Update actually downloaded all the way through, and I was able to try the Weather Channel. I did have my Xbox 360's Wireless receiver hooked up to the back of the Wii (for a laugh), but that couldn't have actually helped...

It was still a slow download though. But the Weather channel is awesome! I echo the sentiments in the above posts. God, I was actually playing around with the globe interface for 20 minutes last night.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
Wilkes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I have a 2GB sd card in my Wii.

I could download it; I don't know about you.

also hire opera/google to shrink it or make an optimized Wii version

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone missed Slonie's awesome post:

Slonie wrote:
Japan gets different iconography for their weather, Not Japanese Wii users, but actually the map seems to show different icons for Japan than the rest of the world!

Seriously, look at it...The cloud over Tokyo is a cute little line-art cloud and the one over San Jose is pseodo-photorealistic. Strange and sort of funny if you start to consider possible reasons for it. Japan probably requires a different icon set anyway, to represent Mothra attacks, etc.[!!!!!!]

_Marcel Duchamp
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

Slonie wrote:

Seriously, look at it...The cloud over Tokyo is a cute little line-art cloud and the one over San Jose is pseodo-photorealistic. Strange and sort of funny if you start to consider possible reasons for it. Japan probably requires a different icon set anyway, to represent Mothra attacks, etc.[!!!!!!]

I was actually going to say that this is a common stereotype! According to research, King Ghidorah is far more dangerous to Japan than Mothra. Mothra has actually defended Earth and is considered a benevolent soul! When she's not causing rampant destruction!

Also, in the Globe interface, try grabbing the Earth and twisting the remote left or right. This way you can look at your favorite countries upside down!
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh... since it plays some sfx based on the weather when you click on a city, perhaps the next time you click on Tokyo you'll get the Gamera theme song!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
Wilkes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Big ol' SD card.

The question is... is it worth $60-$70 for google earth on my wii?

Oh who the fuck am I kidding, of course it is.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
Wilkes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Big ol' SD card.

The question is... is it worth $60-$70 for google earth on my wii?

Oh who the fuck am I kidding, of course it is.

I bought my card for $27 on a holiday discount.

there is no excuse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Nintendo really needs to replace the cloud/sun graphics with the sprites from Super Mario Bros.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
player 2 wrote:

Slonie wrote:

I was actually going to say that this is a common stereotype! According to research, King Ghidorah is far more dangerous to Japan than Mothra. Mothra has actually defended Earth and is considered a benevolent soul! When she's not causing rampant destruction!

stop pandering.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Opera Wii Browser beta starts on Friday! Flash games will be playable.

What I'm wondering is how long it will be before someone* cobbles together some open-source tools to turn videos and mp3s into flash documents so you can turn your Wii into a wireless media center.

* may be me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that Mario and Daisy would be doing a newscast with Bowser being the weather guy.

"Hi, I'm Daisy"

"It's a me, Mario"

It then cuts to Bowser all growling and pointing with his little stick to your hometown and roaring out the weather. All identified by little Mario World weather icons.
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems really pointless, but it has so much potential. And not just skins and things! (Personally, I want to be able to switch the, er, inertial resistance off, so you can set it spinning FOREVER, like Google Earth).

But, like, imagine if it tied in with the News channel, and you could set it to display global headlines on little labels, with lines pointing to the place on the Earth where the story was taking place!

Or if they started using the globe to display Nintendo-related information. Like if there was a global Mario Kart ranking, you could click on a region and see leaderboards. Or look at release dates for that region, and stuff.

And things!

(I doubt any of this will actually come to pass, of course.)
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude they were doing that shit in shenmue like a million years ago.

Black & White could do this, too. Or tried to. I remember configuring my settings for it, anyway.
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or VIEWING YOUR ADDRESS BOOK AS WAVING MIIS ON THE GLOBE (omfgggg!)
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

Oh shit, changing the channel to 11 completely solved the problem. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
But, like, imagine if it tied in with the News channel, and you could set it to display global headlines on little labels, with lines pointing to the place on the Earth where the story was taking place!

This would be really great, spinning the globe and just trotting around checking out news stories. It would make for a fantastic-looking interface, and might even get people (with a Wii) to read more news.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, yesterday I discovered 32 degrees F is the freezing point when I left a drink outside during a party and later came out to discover it had turned into a block of ice.

Also, it's a chilly 9 degrees at the South Pole today.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read PA for the first time in months today, and it really reminded me of why I stopped reading it and how they no longer speak for me as a gamer. The weather channel is totally where it's at.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think it is going to tie in with the News Channel. I think the News Channel has an identical globe that gives you news instead of weather.

We'll see, won't we!
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
Also, it's a chilly 9 degrees at the South Pole today.

Living in Winnipeg a couple of years ago, my wife and I rented Michael Palin's Pole to Pole, wherein the dude from Monty Python travels from the North Pole to the South Pole. It was there that we made the stunning discovery that Winnipeg will actually get colder than the South Pole. Granted, the coldest time of year for Winnipeg is the warmest time of year for the South Pole, but come on.
Cycle wrote:
I read PA for the first time in months today, and it really reminded me of why I stopped reading it and how they no longer speak for me as a gamer.

Man, if they ever spoke for you as a gamer, it was a total coincidence. It seems pretty clear to me that they know that their tastes and opinions are entirely their own.

That said, I thought the strip in question was pretty funny.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Or VIEWING YOUR ADDRESS BOOK AS WAVING MIIS ON THE GLOBE (omfgggg!)

That would be pretty sweet!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I read PA for the first time in months today, and it really reminded me of why I stopped reading it and how they no longer speak for me as a gamer. The weather channel is totally where it's at.

I wouldn't mind that their opinions are completely different to mine if they were in the least bit funny.

Also, they're making money. What gives.

So that forecast channel huh. Does it take a long time to start up for anyone else? Because it does me. I mean it's neat and all but the long start-up time really offsets its usefulness.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i
Quote:

Man, if they ever spoke for you as a gamer, it was a total coincidence. It seems pretty clear to me that they know that their tastes and opinions are entirely their own.

i disagree! they seem to appeal to idiots these days.

the channel takes 30 seconds to load at the most for me
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the forecast channel started up instantaneously this time, which is a little more like it. Maybe it only has to download the weather information once a day. In that case, I wish it would download whatever it needs to download in the background of the wii menu instead of just waiting 'til I want to use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: