The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal Gear Solid 4 coming to XBox 360?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Metal Gear Solid 4 coming to XBox 360? Reply with quote

Heightened Rumour: Metal Gear Solid 4 not a PS3 exclusive

Now considering the mess Sony are making, how far would you expect this to be from the truth? It's not like MGS games haven't ended up on other platforms before.

I'm not one to hope, but such an announcement would effectively remove the single, and even then, a very small, incentive to purchase a PS3 at any stage.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how they'd replicate the SIXAXIS revolutionary control.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My total incentives to get a PS3 include:

-PS1 games that are 2D aparently look awesome
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Rumor that Silent Hill 5 may be PS3 exclusive.

So... yeah. I kind of hope this rumor is true. I am going to attempt to not buy a PS3 until the first price drop at the least. 2 years is my other bench mark.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Konami figure there's no money to be made on the PS3, then taking Silent Hill 5 elsewhere would be a natural consequence.

As for the PS1 games, well, there is this, for however you may take it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
As for the PS1 games, well, there is this, for however you may take it.

That doesn't really address PS1 games, and then I saw this video right afterwards that didn't have any of those issues. Mind you, this isn't like an issue for me or anything. I mean, I'm not crazy enough to buy the console for just that. I need at least three games I want and can't get anywhere else for a console purchase to be feasable for my morals.

dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, uh, the next Ueda game will still be exclusive, right?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What new Ueda game? I'm not aware of him announcing anything yet as it is.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's not Keita Takahashi so I'll assume his next work is going to be a videogame, not a playground.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is, if MGS3 turns out to not be exclusive then i'm going to have to get a 360, which i don't particularly want to do, either. it is that much more logical than a ps3, of course.

but yeah, ueda. he loves sony. i cannot skip a ueda game.

c'mon, aging laptop + wii. you're all i ever need, right? right? resident evil and metal gear solid have ended up on the pc before... why not dead rising and MGS4?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't this rumor been going on for a long time though now? I remember someone from Kojima Productions (possibly even the man himself) saying a while back that MGS4 could run on the 360 but it was up to Konami to make the final decision as to if this was to be or not.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konami keeps saying no, and that MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive, but "exclusive" doesn't mean what it used to. It usually means "six months," as opposed to "forever." I think Konami will want to cut their losses and earn a bit of extra money on the game with the not-insignificant Xbox 360 user base.

I hope this is true, because I have no interest in a PS3, save this game, and this certainly would simplify things!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
"exclusive" doesn't mean what it used to. It usually means "six months," as opposed to "forever."

I think this wording is funny because of the VC for the wii. I mean, shit that I thought would "forever" be exclusive is now on a Nintendo console.

It's different than what you're saying, I know, it's just that things have shifted so much since then that "forever" doesn't even apply.

dongle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Hasn't this rumor been going on for a long time though now? I remember someone from Kojima Productions (possibly even the man himself) saying a while back that MGS4 could run on the 360 but it was up to Konami to make the final decision as to if this was to be or not.

Well, there are two things here:

1- MGS4 already has more than 9GB of assets, so they'd have to use very lossy compression and drop stuff to recreate it on the 360 or multiple discs or something awkward.
2- Kojima has pledged loyalty to Sony for the canonical MGS series since they supported him during MGS1. He's moderately against porting.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if by some crazy stroke of luck some higher-up at Konami management decided that MGS4 needed porting in some way, shape, form or fashion to the Xbox 360 I'm sure it might be done. I know Kojima's against porting and all, and there would probably be some stuff lost in translation (I'm thinking something along the lines of Metal Gear on NES but not as drastic), but I could realistically see 360 MGS4 being a reality at some point in time. After all, a lot of people said Resident Evil 4 couldn't be ported to PS2 and it eventually was (granted, RE4 was by a different company and all, but it's the same basic concept I guess).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'm in the same boat as a lot of people. i was considering an XBox360, and this coming out for the system would make the decision a lot easier. but it's true: an Ueda game on PS3 would make the choice harder.

but if the PS3 isn't doing as well as everyone wants it to (or simply doesn't have a large enough userbase), i'm sure a port could be a consideration. i mean, they did MGS2 for XBox, so it's not completely unreasonable to consider.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
an Ueda game on PS3 would make the choice harder.

As a side point, based on his previous track record we still have about 4 years before we see a new game from him, so there will be at least one probably two price drops by then. That would also make the decision easier. Also, Microsoft knows who to steal/grab when it comes to games and if Ueda came up "for sale" I think that MS would actually attempt to get him. It's a little weird to read about how "artistic" MS thinks the Xbox should be.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
an Ueda game on PS3 would make the choice harder.

Seeing as they're a first party development team, this isn't a question of "if," it's more a question of "when." Seeing how they pretty much just finished up Shadow of the Colossus, unless they're planning a next-gen remake or a graphics upped sequel we probably won't see it until after the first (or even second) price drop. So really assuming Metal Gear goes multiplatform after 6 months or a year, and the possibility that what's considered the true Final Fantasy XIII is for the Nintendo DS while the "side-stories" are on the PS3 or even multiplatform, Sony's absolute 100% first party exclusives boil down to:

1. David Jaffe and the God of War Team (God of War 3)
2. Kazunori Yamauchi with Polyphony Digital and the Gran Turismo Team (Gran Turismo HD)
3. Fumito Ueda and the Shadow of the Colossus Team (Current Project Unknown)
4. Sucker Punch and the Sly Cooper/Rocket Robot on Wheels Team (Current Project Unknown)
5. Jason Rubinless Naughty Dog and the Crash/Jak and Daxter Team (Generic Jungle Game starring Jason Rubens)
6. Jason Rubin's new team and his new team (Iron and the Maiden - May be multiplatform)
7. Insomniac and the Ratchet and Clank Team (Next-Gen Ratchet and Clank)
8. Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Socom, LocoRoco, Hot Shots Golf teams - other generic stuff.

So you see! Depending on your tastes for this sort of stuff you might never have a real need for a PS3!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I wonder how they'd replicate the SIXAXIS revolutionary control.

Microsoft could bring back the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro only this time for X360Box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this e-mail:

Sega wrote:
ANNOUNCES VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 FOR XBOX 360

Premiere Fighting Game Franchise Makes First Appearance on Microsoft's Next Generation Videogame Console

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (December 21, 2006) – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that the highly anticipated arcade fighting game, Virtua Fighter™ 5, will make its way onto the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system. Virtua Fighter 5 is scheduled for release on Xbox 360 in North America and in Europe late summer 2007. The game will also be available for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system on February 20, 2007 in North America and will be available in Europe simultaneously with the system's launch in March 2007.

"SEGA delivers the most technical fighting game experience on Xbox 360 with this installment of the award-winning Virtua Fighter series," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President Marketing, SEGA of America. "Virtua Fighter 5 takes full advantage of Xbox 360's hardware with action-packed gameplay, customizable characters, stunning graphics and highly detailed 3D fighting environments."

Virtua Fighter 5 features beautifully detailed stages from around the world where players face off in fast-moving martial arts battles against one of 17 characters. Two new characters join the elite group of fighters, all with their own unique fighting style. With more skill and strategy than ever before, players will employ a new "Offensive Move" technique to take down their opponents from different angles. The game also includes the ability to customize your own character by selecting from four base costumes and a wide range of unlockable accessories and earnable items. As players win more tournaments they will not only earn costumes and accessories, but also prizes and in-game money that will allow them to buy items from the in-game shop.

"The Virtua Fighter series from SEGA has one of the most prestigious histories in video games," said Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. "It's a franchise that has grown an army of loyal fans both in arcades and on consoles worldwide, and is consistently rated extremely high by the media. Fighting game fans have been hungry for Virtua Fighter 5 and we can now proudly deliver this game with SEGA to Xbox 360 gamers around the world."

Virtua Fighter 5 is being developed by the renowned AM R&D Development No.2 team based in Japan...

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
the possibility that what's considered the true Final Fantasy XIII is for the Nintendo DS while the "side-stories" are on the PS3 or even multiplatform,

Wait, can you explain this? I haven't heard anything of the sort although I am a bit out of the loop.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Virtua Fighter 5 for X360, woo!

And the Japanese people STILL won't give that system a chance.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
the possibility that what's considered the true Final Fantasy XIII is for the Nintendo DS while the "side-stories" are on the PS3 or even multiplatform,

Wait, can you explain this? I haven't heard anything of the sort although I am a bit out of the loop.

Well, Square announced at E3 that there were several Final Fantasy XIII projects in the works and showed off three of them. One is Final Fantasy XIII, and that's the one with the girl who looks like a FFX-2 character, then there's the action-based Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which is by the Kingdom Hearts team, and third, there's Final Fantasy Agito XIII for mobile phones. These probably won't be the last of them.

On top of that, EGM published a rumor about a Strategy based FFXIII for the DS a while back to support this theory. Granted, that may have been a misread for the FFXII Strategy Game that was announced recently, but given Square-Enix's mega support for the DS lately I wouldn't be surprised if at least one iteration of FFXIII ends up hitting the small screen. Actually, I would have guessed that long before I made any predictions about Dragon Quest, so who knows.

At this point the only reason Square-Enix would NOT put a version of FFXIII on the DS would be because the Square and Enix parts of the company still work pretty independently, and the Square part still has strong ties to Sony after they helped them out financially after the Final Fantasy: The Movie debacle. I don't know. All I know is that Sony's fuck ups are making predicting the outcome of the next generation a lot less predictable. It's interesting!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
All I know is that Sony's fuck ups are making predicting the outcome of the next generation a lot less predictable. It's interesting!

-Wes

itt I agree with Wes.

Judging from some recent dev interviews (Suda, particularly), it seems like Japanese devs are trying to break into the Western markets, and it looks like they're starting to give western hardware a bit more of a chance.

I'm morally/professionally bound to not get a 360, though, so I am hoping for PS3 success for all the wrong reasons. It has a better looking interface, at least.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
I'm morally/professionally bound to not get a 360, though.

What's this?
dongle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
dongle wrote:
I'm morally/professionally bound to not get a 360, though.

What's this?

Microsoft plays dirty with IP laws. See: their support of SCO and Ballmer's recent claims post Novell-deal.

I'm being a dingus, I admit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: