The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WANDERER, A WEASEL, AND THE TRIP THROUGH IMPASSE VALLEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Dungeon Hack have permadeath?
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Ironman Mode, Okay, touche.

I personally, however, already have a lot of issues with the Rogulikes with the WAY TOO HANDY TOWNS, like in Diablo. When the going gets tough just warp out instantly and buy and endless supply of health potions. Bah! What I loved about Nethack and Shiren the Wanderer, is that you REALLY had to rely on what you could scavenge, for the most part, and while there amy be somke stores on the way, you never knew what you'd find and their stocks were very limited.
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Doesn't Dungeon Hack have permadeath?

Not sure...but then again...that game was just WRONG! It seemed the only class that stood a decent chance was a Cleric.

Okay, the challenge is withdrawn! Wink
Sushi d

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am loving how dangerous some of the new enemies are.

in my last run i was pwned by 2 of the new enemies around the 9th or 10th floor.

the first being an exploding land-sea-urchin-thing that after dying explodes like a mine. and then i was quickly dispatched about 15-20 turns later by powerful man-tiger-thing.

it adds a bit of variety.

but yeah.. is it just me or are the floors the towns are on are lesser than the ones in shiren? maybe they might of added a few levels or something.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen any new items yet?

So what are you thinking of the unlimited Fei's Puzzle rounds? Are you able to get your initial character incredibly equipped from the get go or have they toned down the potential rewards?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izuna:Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Release Date: Q1 2007
Publisher: Atlus USA
Developer: Ninja Studio

Just got the most recent issue of Play with a review of this roguelike. The magazine only gave it a 6.5 but who cares, I'm pretty sure this thread wants to know one thing:

"It is here that the separation between those who will enjoy this game and those who will absolutely hit it begins, all thanks to what happens when you die. Upon death, everything you were carrying with you is lost, unless special precautions were taken beforehand. This means that, one bad turn of luck when dealing with a particular dungeon's creatures, and everything you've worked so hard to collect could all be gone in the blink of an eye."

SO, my initial excitement upon reading this has me now reading it a little better and it says nothing about your level getting reset. Either way, this is enough for me to move from "wait and see" to "pre-order because its an Atlus game"

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Izuna:Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Release Date: Q1 2007
Publisher: Atlus USA
Developer: Ninja Studio

Just got the most recent issue of Play with a review of this roguelike. The magazine only gave it a 6.5 but who cares, I'm pretty sure this thread wants to know one thing:

"It is here that the separation between those who will enjoy this game and those who will absolutely hit it begins, all thanks to what happens when you die. Upon death, everything you were carrying with you is lost, unless special precautions were taken beforehand. This means that, one bad turn of luck when dealing with a particular dungeon's creatures, and everything you've worked so hard to collect could all be gone in the blink of an eye."

SO, my initial excitement upon reading this has me now reading it a little better and it says nothing about your level getting reset. Either way, this is enough for me to move from "wait and see" to "pre-order because its an Atlus game"

Sure they spank you BUT there is no level reset, as I recall. Might still check it out but, damn, I'm addicted to Chunsoft's Level Reset with Highscore Boards! I like seeing my RPGs more like near impossible strategic puzzlers that, while you may never actually beat, you can always top your last score! I'm stuck on this whole level reset aspect since, otherwise, its just a matter of re-running the randomly generated dungeon enough times and even w/o any equipment, you can just stumble your way through.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH Sad

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i recently discovered that there's a shiren monsters football/soccer game for the gameboy advance. it seems totally inexplicable, since shiren isn't pokemon, which makes its existance all the more amazing.

it's essentially three-on-three football with enemies from shiren. it's played out on a rather small 3d field with a rotating camera. you control one character directly, the others play by themselves - pressing select will swap which character you control.

my team, the bean bandits*, just celebrated a victory over japan. my forward is a debuta, who charges through enemies and does a little huffy puffy victory dance when it scores a goal, and my goalkeeper is a daikon who poisons the enemy players with herbs. japan's team is composed entirely of possessed drawers.

* okay, i couldn't actually fit the whole name within the space they give you.

there's actually a lot of robust team management stuff which means nothing to me since i don't know anything about the sport. and there's some captain tsubasa-esque graphic novel stuff between the matches for good measure. it's some kind of something and i should probably spend some more time with it.

BONUS: box scan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, came out at the same time as Torneko 3 GBA. Was almost curious but couldn't find enough decent FAQs to make it a viable purchase for me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also jeff garneau has posted impressions of shiren ds over at selectbutton.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to finally see a review and I'm liking some of these new creatures...but the ability to go back up stairs....owwww. This means you can just regenerate any given level ENDLESSLY w/o any need to proceed onward to nasty depth as you desperately search for food. I hope the game has built in some way to limit the abuse this could open up.

Actually, there are some stair disguised folk (if I translated some captions from teh webpage right way back), I think, sort of like stair mimics that might balance this a bit.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
This means you can just regenerate any given level ENDLESSLY w/o any need to proceed onward to nasty depth as you desperately search for food. I hope the game has built in some way to limit the abuse this could open up.

I think you're failing to see the "mass appeal" potential this provides. Think of it, many, many-many, people complain about the games and they are the more casual types. If the game gives you the ability to "grind" for levels then people are more likely to actually get into the game in the first place.

This also leaves it so that you, and all the other fans and roguelike people, can still play it in a straight and unadulterated way. Imagine if the game had added forced level grinding or any of the other things that kill it?

For shooters it's kind of like the one credit completion versus credit feeding. The weak will succumb to the temptation and the strong will go all out and succeed.

LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
LordGek wrote:
This means you can just regenerate any given level ENDLESSLY w/o any need to proceed onward to nasty depth as you desperately search for food. I hope the game has built in some way to limit the abuse this could open up.

I think you're failing to see the "mass appeal" potential this provides. Think of it, many, many-many, people complain about the games and they are the more casual types. If the game gives you the ability to "grind" for levels then people are more likely to actually get into the game in the first place.

This also leaves it so that you, and all the other fans and roguelike people, can still play it in a straight and unadulterated way. Imagine if the game had added forced level grinding or any of the other things that kill it?

For shooters it's kind of like the one credit completion versus credit feeding. The weak will succumb to the temptation and the strong will go all out and succeed.

I hear you but, I don't know, I see it as more an open book test. Since you HAVE the book there they might as well make the questions a lot tougher. ITS JUST ASSUMED NOW that folk will be level grinding so the game may be balanced with that in mind.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair worry. I see you're point! Touche!

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like something about that artwork. It's all colourful and happy and shiny and yet somehow doesn't make me want to throw up. That's a hard act to pull off!
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps once you get to THE TRUE POINT OF THE GAME, Fei's Ultimate Puzzle, they'll cut out all of that ability to re-vist a previous level.
SpooN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suddenly got an idea. An idea big enough to make me register! Though I didn't think it would deserve it's own thread..

The time has come for A ROGUELIKE MMO!!!1!!1!!

Ok, the basic idea is that you still force your way through random dungeons but besides normal monsters you have to fight other players as well.
There would be a timer that determines when you go to the next stage (where go means INSTANT FORCED TELEPORT). If you get a level up that time decreases, if you pick up a strong item that time decreases, too. There are also occasions where that time increases, for example when your health drops (minor increasement) or special items.
Of course could you team up with the other players and kill only critter, but: they don't give as much exp and you have to become strong in time or otherwise you will die pretty fast later on and you also don't know if your "buddy" is with you once you reach the next stage (random teleportation).
In this concept is enough space for all the random/unfair goodness of regular roguelikes, though it would have to be real time because I don't see how it could work otherwise.

I could talk about all the (ingenious) possible features I have in mind right now but I feel I already wrote too much.

[EDIT]: Mmmh, some features are worth to be mentioned: You can quit and continue at the same point with the same stats etc. later on when you are ported but once you die you lose all your levels/items.
Some things should be permanently but they would give you only little advantage (reach lvl 99 -> 5% faster walk permanently but only once).

Right now I think that somebody will steal my idea and will get the richest man in the world with it!11!!

Please excuse my english etc.

Last edited by SpooN on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpooN wrote:
I suddenly got an idea. An idea big enough to make me register! Though I didn't think it would deserve it's own thread..

The time has come for A ROGUELIKE MMO!!!1!!1!!

Ok, the basic idea is that you still force your way through random dungeons but besides normal monsters you have to fight other players as well.
There would be a timer that determines when you go to the next stage (where go means INSTANT FORCE TELEPORT). If you get a level up that time decreases, if you pick up a strong item that time decreases, too. There are also occasions where that time increases, for example when your health drops (minor increasement) or special items.
Of course could you team up with the other players and kill only critter, but: they don't give as much exp and you have to become strong in time or otherwise you will die pretty fast later on and you also don't know if your "buddy" is with you once you reach the next stage (random teleportation).
In this concept is enough space for all the random/unfair goodness of regular roguelikes, though it would have to be real time because I don't see how it could work otherwise.

I could talk about all the (ingenious) possible features I have in mind right now but I feel I already wrote too much.

[EDIT]: Mmmh, some features are worth to be mentioned: You can quit and continue at the same point withe the same stats etc. later on when you are ported but once you die you lose all your levels/items.
Some things should be permanently but they would give you only little advantage (reach lvl 99 -> 5% faster walk permanently but only once).

Right now I think that somebody will steal my idea and will get the richest man in the world with it!11!!

Please excuse my english etc.

While probably more of just a near Diablo MMO, you may want to check out www.dungeonrunners.com .

Besides a good dose of humor and RANDOMLY GENERATED DUNGEONS, they've actually got a pretty clever pay scheme going. You can play for free but IF you want access to a few extra bells and whistles (like being able to use some of the extra elite items or getting a slightly bigger inventory space) you can pay a whole $5/month.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same SpooN who use to post at TNL?

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got around to playing Shiren DS for about an hour last night. Jeff Garneau is better qualified to talk about the little gameplay tweaks than me.

However, one thing that really struck me was how faithful it is to the SNES game, in terms of setting. If it weren't for all the little tweaks, you could say it was a straight-up port. Same characters in the same places in the same towns, with the same music playing in the background. It's wonderful. It makes Impasse Valley feel like a place that I'm just coming back to visit again.

Sure wish I could read Japanese, though, since so much of the game's charm is found in your changing relationships with NPCs between deaths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
So I finally got around to playing Shiren DS for about an hour last night. Jeff Garneau is better qualified to talk about the little gameplay tweaks than me.

However, one thing that really struck me was how faithful it is to the SNES game, in terms of setting. If it weren't for all the little tweaks, you could say it was a straight-up port. Same characters in the same places in the same towns, with the same music playing in the background. It's wonderful. It makes Impasse Valley feel like a place that I'm just coming back to visit again.

Sure wish I could read Japanese, though, since so much of the game's charm is found in your changing relationships with NPCs between deaths.

While I HOPE they've added new items, monsters, and clever new game mechanics, if they keep the NPC stuff close to the original it will make it a lot easier for us CLUELESS ENGLISH SPEAKING FOLK to guess our way through that stuff.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: W00t w00t! Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

It finally showed up just a couple of days ago!

Using this FAQ for the original (made well before the release of the English patch):
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/fuurai_no_shiren.txt

and having made it thorugh most of Asuka Shiren, Torneko 3, and PMD in Japanese, this is clear enough.

So far, while neat to have THE POWER OF SHIREN THE WANDERER handheld, I did quickly notice the two MAJOR wussifications (I think both already mentioned here):

1) Ability to take on as many of Fei's Puzzles as you want at a time in any order, even ones you have already completed, to get random prizes. So pick an early simple puzzle and replay it ad-nauseum to get an endless supply of FREE LOOT. I can only hope you never actually can get real rare items, so far they've just been pretty minor bits.

2) New option to take the level exits UP OR DOWN. So very easy to simply jump back and forth between safe levels, even more painful I saw you could use it to re-visit that store between levels 4 and 5 to see it all re-stocked with a new array of random stuff (although you can't advance the Pei story by revisiting like this, so those characters storyline deals will still take multiple lives).

Oh, and now a question for the TRUE Shiren Veterans here, trying to figure out if these things are new:

1) Man-Tigers: Burly brutes that toss folk around (you into other monsters, other monsters into you, and if like Shiren Asuka, you into exposed traps).

2) Mobile Blacksmith: Mr. town blacksmith now wnaders the dungeon and can enchant stuff for the busy adventurer on the go for 1,000 gitan.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Izuna for the DS is a roguelike as well. This is exciting news!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear it's going to be easy-type though. no experience reset at death. boo!

any word on how relevent girl-girl groping is to the plot?

yuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I don't want to, I'm still going to buy Izuna anyway
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think they advertised games like that any more. That is some shit.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Izuna Duna Buna Runa... Reply with quote

If we're to believe that interview with the developer, by the end its more about your equipment than level. I also had it from some guy who's RPG skills I respect that it DOES get nasty by the end complete with baddies that can steal or destroy your precious equipment (something you know they'd never dare in Diablo or most of its clones).
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo II had Ethereal stuff which was always a heartbreaker for when you end up with what you originally perceived to finally be a stroke of luck.

If going up in Level is very minimal like +1 to a random stat then yeah I can see it still being hard.

Still, pocket roguelike is always welcome and if I keep buying them and spreading the word eventually more will be brought over. At least that is the hope I keep with my "voting with my dollars" mentality.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, anybody have a clue if PMD sold that well here in the US? Nintendo ACTUALLY promoted/hyped it and everything. While not even close to a favorite of the Roguelike cosole games out so far, if it sold decently we MIGHT see many more of these.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, combined (DS and GBA) they had sold nearly 1mil before Xmas.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy parish words thing about izuna. no experience reset = bad. "possible sapphic overtones" = maybe good, probably bad. though it does make me want to see how it turns out. that ad doesn't encourage me. though i might be getting a ds flash device, which means it'll have to compete with dungeon crawl. and what can?

though it also means i'll be able to try to game before spending money on it. so i guess i'm going to be playing this then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Yes, combined (DS and GBA) they had sold nearly 1mil before Xmas.

That's swell.
Six

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
dungeon crawl.

oh, what? i've been looking for ds roguelike ports, and i somehow missed this. the sprites look pretty great.
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you LordGek for all the info before.
Sorry, I too thought this was closed. Very Happy

After reading a few of the messages posted, I see that some people might be looking for some real challenge on these FND games.

I come from an old Japanese ranking website where Fushigino Dungeon players discuss their tactics.
Some of the challenges that the residents in that site have made are really crazy.
I am sure they may interest some of you who feel that Fei's last dungeon is easy.

Just to give you a couple examples in the Super Family Computer version of
Shiren the Wanderer Game:
Try surviving from the 99th floor of the Bufu (food god) Dungeon. (difficulty level B)
This is the dungeon with all the meat.
Try surviving from the 99th floor of the Kakejikuura (trap) Dungeon (difficulty level A-)

Everything gets extremely difficult from the 36th floor where any of the
monsters can kill you with one strike, that is, if you do not have any
shield on. Even with a regular shield, 2 strikes usually are enough to give you over 250 damage.

Note that the disposable shield does not get weaker when it is used while Shiren has eaten some meat.

Let me know if anyone is interested in more difficult challenges!
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
Thank you LordGek for all the info before.
Sorry, I too thought this was closed. Very Happy

After reading a few of the messages posted, I see that some people might be looking for some real challenge on these FND games.

I come from an old Japanese ranking website where Fushigino Dungeon players discuss their tactics.
Some of the challenges that the residents in that site have made are really crazy.
I am sure they may interest some of you who feel that Fei's last dungeon is easy.

Just to give you a couple examples in the Super Family Computer version of
Shiren the Wanderer Game:
Try surviving from the 99th floor of the Bufu (food god) Dungeon. (difficulty level B)
This is the dungeon with all the meat.
Try surviving from the 99th floor of the Kakejikuura (trap) Dungeon (difficulty level A-)

Everything gets extremely difficult from the 36th floor where any of the
monsters can kill you with one strike, that is, if you do not have any
shield on. Even with a regular shield, 2 strikes usually are enough to give you over 250 damage.

Note that the disposable shield does not get weaker when it is used while Shiren has eaten some meat.

Let me know if anyone is interested in more difficult challenges!

I didn't think either of the initial two Bonus dungeons went to 99 levels but now I see you're right, they're considered cleared for game puposes after the 25th level of the food dungeon and the 16th of the trap dungeon but a player is free to revist them and go much futher!

One guy on GameFAQs, however, is saying his level WAS NOT reset to 1 when he entered these bonus dungeons after completing the main dungeon, I hope this isn't true (perhaps he was hacking a ROM and as a side effect this aspect wasn't handled properly when he entered the two bonus dungeons).
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

One guy on GameFAQs, however, is saying his level WAS NOT reset to 1 when he entered these bonus dungeons after completing the main dungeon, I hope this isn't true (perhaps he was hacking a ROM and as a side effect this aspect wasn't handled properly when he entered the two bonus dungeons).

Not to worry, in these 2 dungeons, your level is always reset to one, and you cannot take any items or money with you.
Probably some side effects. Laughing

Getting to the 99th floor, especially in the Trap dungeon, is really exciting!!
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
LordGek wrote:

Not to worry, in these 2 dungeons, your level is always reset to one, and you cannot take any items or money with you.
Probably some side effects. Laughing

Getting to the 99th floor, especially in the Trap dungeon, is really exciting!!

Oh, sorry, I should have been more clear, the rumor of not resetting to level 1 in these dungeons was with the new DS version. Like possibly another way they've tried to make the game EASIER than the original. It really wouldn't make sense that they don't reset and this same guy claimed all of the allies are available right from the start in the main game but I have now seen for myself that is NOT TRUE (you still have to work your way through their stories with multiple lives) so I'm hoping the not resetting of the experience levels in the Trap and Food Bonus Dungeons of the DS version is just some confusion on this guy's part. He did at least say that the levels are reset in the 3rd Bonus Dungeon (Fei's Ultimate Problem).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to get really angry that these games aren't in english in the US.

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I'm starting to get really angry that these games aren't in english in the US.

I hear your pain!

Even sillier nowadays since I'm pretty sure Chunsoft is OWNED by an American compnay, Dwango Communications. What excuse do they have not to port their shoot over?
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

Oh, sorry, I should have been more clear, the rumor of not resetting to level 1 in these dungeons was with the new DS version. Like possibly another way they've tried to make the game EASIER than the original. It really wouldn't make sense that they don't reset and this same guy claimed all of the allies are available right from the start in the main game but I have now seen for myself that is NOT TRUE (you still have to work your way through their stories with multiple lives) so I'm hoping the not resetting of the experience levels in the Trap and Food Bonus Dungeons of the DS version is just some confusion on this guy's part. He did at least say that the levels are reset in the 3rd Bonus Dungeon (Fei's Ultimate Problem).

I see, DS version.
Unfortunately, in the DS version, levels are not reset in the 2 dungeons.
You can even bring in friends.
Let me summarize:

Food and Trap Dungeon (DS)
LV does not reset.
Can bring in friends.
Cannot bring in items.

Fei's Final Dungeon (DS)
LV resets
Cannot bring in friends
Cannot bring in items.

4 new dungeons have been found, which do not exist in the Super Family Computer
version.
1 tutorial at the very beginning, and 3 others.
Unfortunately, the 3 others all allow you to bring in items and friends, and
the LV does not reset.

Yes, I think they have tried to make the game easier so that it is more
acceptable to the general public. This makes it less attractive to the crazy people like me. Fei's Final Dungeon is a little(just a little)harder though, with all the LV 4 monsters. I did not see the pot which doubles your items (sorry I have not played the English version so I do not know what many of the items and monsters are called in English).
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

I see, DS version.
Let me summarize:

LV does not reset.
Can bring in friends.
Cannot bring in items.

Fei's Final Dungeon (DS)
LV resets
Cannot bring in friends
Cannot bring in items.

4 new dungeons have been found, which do not exist in the Super Family Computer
version.
1 tutorial at the very beginning, and 3 others.
Unfortunately, the 3 others all allow you to bring in items and friends, and
the LV does not reset.

Yes, I think they have tried to make the game easier so that it is more
acceptable to the general public. This makes it less attractive to the crazy people like me. Fei's Final Dungeon is a little(just a little)harder though, with all the LV 4 monsters. I did not see the pot which doubles your items (sorry I have not played the English version so I do not know what many of the items and monsters are called in English).

You're not alone, Camus, this is why I too play the Mysterious Dungeon games and REALLY am disappointed with their design decision there. I mean, Jeez, they already added a couple of "Level Persistent" extra dungeons AND its not even required you complete the first two Bonus Dungeons to see Fei's Final Problem (which I do appreciate since I want to get to that one as soon as possible), so WHY did they have to so badly cripple these otherwise very clever and original dungeons? I think I'd have even prefered if they went the Torneko 3 route and made the MAIN STORYLINE DUNGEON a level persistent one so that they wouldn't have to fark up the best dungeons of the game (and I'm sure they would have if it weren't for the fact that the whole storyline RELIES on multiple play throughs to work)!

I guess if you really want to see the Food and Trap Dungeons done justice you need to play the Dreamcast or PC Asuka Shiren games.

I sadly get, however, that even in Japan, few folk like having their levels reset each time they enter the dungeon. This very hardline resetting the level each time and not allowing the player a backup save are the aspects that made this such a bold and original game, and yet marketing obviously won out.

I'm sure I'll still dabble a bit in the Food and Trap Dungeons but KNOW 95% of my time will be spent in Fei's Final Problem!

Oh, one last question, any word on the themes and or location of these new three dungeons? I'm assuming one will be the SUPER HARDCORE dungeon of level 3 and 4 folk from the very beginning and no items dropped in the dungeon itself (they had ones like this in Torneko 3, Asuka Shiren, etc.). Oh, since this game has wimped out in so many other ways do they ever introduce "Scrolss of Recall" (no clue what they'd be called in this game but these are scrolls that exist in many other Roguelikes like Moria and Diablo that will instantly whisk the player back to the safety of the town level when the going gets rough)?
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

I sadly get, however, that even in Japan, few folk like having their levels reset each time they enter the dungeon. This very hardline resetting the level each time and not allowing the player a backup save are the aspects that made this such a bold and original game, and yet marketing obviously won out.

I'm sure I'll still dabble a bit in the Food and Trap Dungeons but KNOW 95% of my time will be spent in Fei's Final Problem!

Oh, one last question, any word on the themes and or location of these new three dungeons? I'm assuming one will be the SUPER HARDCORE dungeon of level 3 and 4 folk from the very beginning and no items dropped in the dungeon itself (they had ones like this in Torneko 3, Asuka Shiren, etc.). Oh, since this game has wimped out in so many other ways do they ever introduce "Scrolss of Recall" (no clue what they'd be called in this game but these are scrolls that exist in many other Roguelikes like Moria and Diablo that will instantly whisk the player back to the safety of the town level when the going gets rough)?

Actually, there are quite a lot of hardcore gamers that prefer the level reseted, difficult dungeons. Many go make their own rules in certain dungeons, to make it more difficult.
The guys in the site I am from love the dungeons that most will call "impossible".
Survival from the Trap Dungeon 99th Floor (SNES Version) was called impossible by most. Guys studied it for months...and Shiren died, died, died again and DIED!!
With a lot of studying and exchanging of info, and a lot of stress and frustration, they were finally able to pave a way for people to get to the 99th floor. (Even still, only about 90 people in Japan can get there.) Now we have created even more difficult rules, for anyone who wants to try---WARNING...Very addictive!!

I guess that with so many new games being released every week, many gamers today are "light users" who do not really go do games in depth. Thus, the producers make games easy to keep people playing. Seems that a lot of games today put more priority in CG's /movies/art and less into actual strategy and gaming.

3 New Dungeons:

儀式の洞窟 (Gishiki Dungeon)
-Clear Table Mountain
-Go in front of the upper left house in the village in the valley (the one after the 14th floor going to Table Mountain). Speak to the guy (Kikimimino Sabu).
-Speak to the delivery man at the exit of the first village
-Go the village in the valley and speak to the dog in front of the upper right house.
-Entrance to the dungeon opens.

Lots of drain type enemies and kigny tribesmen in this dungeon.

魔蝕虫の道 (Mashokuchu Dungeon)
-Clear Table Mountain
-Speak to the guy (looks like a cowboy type) at the exit of the first village (Ikokuno Fuuraijin)
-Go to the top of the Table Mountain, into the room with the wall art and the entrance to the dungeon opens.

Lots of Large Monster Houses and boss types within them.

死者の谷底 (Shishano Tanizoko)
-Clear Table Mountain
-Take only Pekeji (Shiren's fat brother) to the town at the top of the hill (after 7th floor of Table Mountain) and see the event.
-Go alone to the valley of two stone statues (after 9th floor) and speak to Butafu-ta.
-Take only Pekeji to the valley of two stone statues and do the bungee jump. (may fail and loose all items)
-Event starts when you wake up at the 1st village.
-Another event starts after you wake up again at the 1st village.
-Will be able to go to the new dungeon from the valley of two stone statues.

Not much items in this dungeon. Lots of LV 4 monsters.

Actually, I have not tried playing these 3 dungeons after hearing that they are the "bring in anything" type. The data above is from a Shiren site.

"Scrolls of Recall"--I have not seen any of these types in the DS version. None were listed in the Shiren site I visited.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

I see, DS version.
Let me summarize:

LV does not reset.
Can bring in friends.
Cannot bring in items.

Fei's Final Dungeon (DS)
LV resets
Cannot bring in friends
Cannot bring in items.

While not ready ready to make a full reverse her...its not nearly as bad as I had initially thought!

When I heard no level resetting *I HAD ASSUMED* this meant that the player, at level 20+ after clearing Table Mountain now was going striaght into these two bonus dungeon with his experience now permenantly saved at his "Clearing Table Mountin Experince Level" but this isn't the case at all.

After clearing Table Mountain your level is reset, like always, but the few levels you gain getting to the first or second village to these bonus dungeons' entrance you get to keep when you start the bonus dungeon. So while kind of cheesey and not as PRISTINE AND PURE as it was before where you started the bonus dungeon at 1, its not anywhere as silly as I at first thought.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i don't know if anyone's seen this, but there's apparently a remake of the original rogue for the ps2 in development.

the woman character uses magic and bows and arrows and the boy hits things with swords! oh boy!

so yeah, they have the rogue license (and the original japanese translator, apparently), but they're clearly adding stuff to the point where it seems more roguelike than rogue. judging from the screenshots the dungeon levels are enormous compared to the original's nine-room floors. so how will it compare to more contemporary console roguelikes like chunsoft's titles?
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so i don't know if anyone's seen this, but there's apparently a remake of the original rogue for the ps2 in development.

the woman character uses magic and bows and arrows and the boy hits things with swords! oh boy!

so yeah, they have the rogue license (and the original japanese translator, apparently), but they're clearly adding stuff to the point where it seems more roguelike than rogue. judging from the screenshots the dungeon levels are enormous compared to the original's nine-room floors. so how will it compare to more contemporary console roguelikes like chunsoft's titles?

Are you sure this is a remake? The full title is "Rogue Hearts Dungeon", which would suggest it's just a roguelike which happens to have the name "rogue" in the title.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they got the license!

and the translator!

and there's a page on the official website devoted to the original rogue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, actually i think i made up the part about the license. i'm not even sure how that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

死者の谷底 (Shishano Tanizoko)
-Clear Table Mountain
-Take only Pekeji (Shiren's fat brother) to the town at the top of the hill (after 7th floor of Table Mountain) and see the event.
-Go alone to the valley of two stone statues (after 9th floor) and speak to Butafu-ta.
-Take only Pekeji to the valley of two stone statues and do the bungee jump. (may fail and loose all items)
-Event starts when you wake up at the 1st village.
-Another event starts after you wake up again at the 1st village.
-Will be able to go to the new dungeon from the valley of two stone statues.

Not much items in this dungeon. Lots of LV 4 monsters.

Hey Camus, while nowhere close to this point yet, who is Butafu-ta? Will here be there on the Bungie Cord Bridge after clearing Table Mountain?
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

Hey Camus, while nowhere close to this point yet, who is Butafu-ta? Will here be there on the Bungie Cord Bridge after clearing Table Mountain?

Hello LordGek,
According to another site I just visited, he is a character that starts the new bungee business on the bridge after you have cleared Table Mountain. It seems that he is there when you go alone without friends. He also makes you sign a written oath/consent that he is not liable for any loss, should the jump fail.... Laughing

I remember signing similar documents in real life when I did some parasailing, helicopter flying, and other sky/sea activities. WatchOut! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: