The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WANDERER, A WEASEL, AND THE TRIP THROUGH IMPASSE VALLEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
a couple of snes hardware questions for you, dess! I didn't really look at the rest of this thread too thoroughly, so I don't know if you mentioned this, but: What hardware are you using to play roms and a real snes?

i'm using an game doctor sf7. this thread documents pretty much my whole process of finding one and getting it to work, so it should probably help you! if there's any questions it doesn't answer for you, feel free to ask!

the bugs in the patch, as far as i know, were never fixed. i guess there aren't a lot of people playing hacked shiren roms on super nintendos? nearly every bug i encounter is harmless, though, and just requires me to restart the machine.

i would recommend not scribing blank scrolls until you intend to use them, though!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, a taaaaad expensiver than i'd like, but still cheaper than buying all the carts off ebay!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've started playing nethack again for some reason. i generally prefer shiren because it's much more balanced and manageable (no need to worry about death resistance or fire resistance for example). the devteam throws injokes, monsters*, messages and effects into nethack WILLY-NILLY.**

that's what makes the game so wonderful, though.

* i actually encounted a creature i hadn't seen before, which i assume must have been added this newest version - a PYROLISK. it's a cockatrice that can set you on fire by looking at you. OH BOY!!

** things are easy to implement because, for example, a new enemy doesn't require graphics, animation, unique sound effects and all that. so ideas are implemented almost as soon as they're thought up.

i just lost a mighty valkyrie after coming so close to completing sokoban.*** on the last level, pushing the last boulder to the last hole, a pack of jackals was generated between the boulder and the hole. it was my last boulder - i'd pick-axed three on that level. in fact, i'd just destroyed one of the last two because they were stuck in a corner and there was no way to get both of them out. i'd killed a like-aligned unicorn, too****, because it'd been in the way, so now i was super unlucky. i marched in shame back down the stairs to the dungeons of doom and was ambushed and killed by a yeti on the bottom floor of sokoban.

*** i'd cleaned out all of the gnomish mines down to the outpost, too.

**** and a kitten :(

nethack wrote:
fable-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu died in Sokoban on level 8. Killed by a yeti, while helpless.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
LordGek wrote:
Quote:
I like your style, you sick Puppy, Camus!

Ha ha ha!
Yes, I need a cure! Antidote!

I just pray that they do not put out a new series that needs to use one of those $600+ hardware!

I like people who like these games…and for someone who goes to the extent of playing it in a different language which he can’t read or understand….You are on top of my list!

How do you keep track of all the names of items?...I mean, in your case, even if you use the ID pot or ID scroll, you still have to figure out what the new item does!

I have not tried the PC version of Asuka. I have finished all the dungeons of the DC version though. Are the new PC dungeons difficult? I like the challenge!

Sorry, missed the reply (somehow was mistaken into believing this was a long dead thread).

Well one key I learned early on with the Torneko 3 was that un-identified items were ususally with yellow text so I grew to learn that if I found a scroll with yellow text in my inventory there was no use looking for it in my FAQ because its just using its bogus un-ided name. Not sure how this worked in Asuka but ti was clear enough.

Oh, and the challenge level in Asuka? Most of teh new PC dungeons are EXTREMELY HARDCORE. Often extended variations of the DC "8 Pieces" Challenges with slight variations on items and creatures but nothing really NEW gameplay mechanic wise. I fogot how the additional dungeons were broken down specifically but maybe about 10 were just new to the PC and another 11 were at one point ONLINE ONLY although now that the online service is long dead, free to everyone (although I'm assuming they've lost the online's using your points to buy exclusive online equipemnt...and even then not sure how that would work since 90% don't allow you to bring in anything from the outside anyways. These previously online only do offer some weird tweaks like how much cash can you axquire in 10,000 turns (using the Whitesnake Dungeon as a basis I believe) or another one where you can only use two handed weapons (you'll find one handed guys in shops but can't weild them, just for melding purposes, I guess), and other weird tweaks to the basic rules like these. My favorite online is based on the Whitesnake Dungeon (pretty hardcore, everything unIDed) but with the skill scrolls thrown in as well.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Days until Shiren DS hits the streets in Japan...any takers here?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might import it!

or i might not!

i'd like to hear impressions before i make a decision. i'm worried they might have changed the game to be easier.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, REALLY want to buy this.

I am afraid that the language barrier will keep me from fully enjoying this. It does have quite excellent cover art, however!

Sega's publishing this, right? This gives me hope that there is a small chance of it making out here.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
I am afraid that the language barrier will keep me from fully enjoying this. It does have quite excellent cover art, however!

Even knowing the US version of the SNES game quite well, it was nearly impossible for me to get anywhere in the JPN version because of the scrolls. I guess you have enough time that if you could use a visual printout translation to keep track of things, and have a list of how to spell it all out for the transcribing of the scrolls then it would be possible. Oh, yeah, and pots and staves too.

I mean, it's doable, but going through all that takes a little of the edge off.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, but hope is usually not far off!

How I've gotten around this fun in the past is with COMPREHENSIVE Japanese FAQs translated through something like Bablefish. I had a real specific translator that I can't recall the link to right now but it was a good translator AND would show you both the Japanese and English simultaneously! Parts of the translation will always be rough and there is still a little guessing involved but it helped immensely.

Problems in this case would be NOBODY will have a comprehensive item FAQ in the first few days to week on this game so you'll initially only have FAQs for the initial SNES game (assuming they ARE out there still) to guide you incompletely at first.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any links? Alternatively, if you have one of your own I could possibly host it here.

Actually, if you have one of these that would make me buy it probably. I assume that mostly it would retain the translation from the SNES version.

Also, will you be able to use the WiFi features in the US?

LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post the link to the translator once I find it, no clue on SNES version FAQs in Japanese...just assume they exist as you can find great ones on most of teh rest of the Mysterious Dungeon games out there.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The makes it playable, yes. I am only wishing for an English translation since I would be absolutely THRILLED to be able to play this on the road without the need to carry extra baggage with me.

Maybe with Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon doing pretty well (I don't have hard numbers to back this up, just a good ear) there is a chance of this arriving in 6 months.

If no stateside release ever comes, I will play this along with Mother 3 once that has a finished translation, too. On a flashcart, oh yes!
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is that Tranlator that served me well:

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/

(to see the English and Japanese simultaneously click on the right most "clickable circle thingy" and choose the second option in the pull down menu right there)

And if you want to see it in action, try it with this website about the items in Torneko 3:

http://www.chunsoft.co.jp/hint/torneco3/index.html
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

While curious I do have one major FEAR. They mention they've made it a bit easier while still adding even some tougher and nastier creatures.

One REAL EASY WAY they could have made this game much easier is LOSE the level rest each time you die, like they did in Tornkeo 3 and the Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon games. I HOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE! I love the level reset mechanic! Its harsh, to be sure, but it really gives you INCENTIVE to save your ass. Just being sent back to the beginning but AT your current level when you die would only serve to be tedious when nothing for the first several levels can even touch you.

I think I'll need to see if they wimped out on this mechanic before I try to import it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
One REAL EASY WAY they could have made this game much easier is LOSE the level rest each time you die, like they did in Tornkeo 3 and the Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon games.

they seriously did this? that's disappointing.

yeah, i am going to require a full report from a knowledgable source before i consider importing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, no clue IF they did this!

The only thing I know is that did brag about trying to make it a little easier and it COULD be benign as simply their adding in a little tutorial/training dungeon and the ability to do the PMD like rescues, but no clue what else they've done to acheive this "easier/user friendly" status.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i meant, "they seriously did this in torneko 3 and pokemon mysterious dungeon?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, that's true!

BUT in both of these titles (Torneko 3 and PMD) they DID at least provide a few "level resetting" dungeons at the end of the game. Possibly in an attempt to please EVERYBODY both of these games made challenging dungeons for folk to test their hyper levelled/equipped characters from the main game AND some dungeons where the characters' levels are reset to one and they either can only bring very limited amount of items or none at all.

So, even if, GOD FORBID, they cheaped out and lost the level reset mechanic in the main game/story mode, odds are it will at LEAST make a cameo in a few of the end dungeons (at least I certainly hope so).

Anbody here able to give a basic summation of the Famitsu review from last week? I can only hope it lost a few points BECAUSE its still very tough and nasty!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably do the yarr thing and prepare a report, for the benefit of the TGQ Import Squad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I'll probably do the yarr thing and prepare a report, for the benefit of the TGQ Import Squad.

Uhm, thanks!

(if you said what I thnk you did as all I got is, "will probably make a report" but the rest flew over my head)
Six

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drew a helpful diagram of ApM as a swashbuckler/Mayor McCheese lookalike, but it was kind of freaky so I'm not going to post it.
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dang, with THAT as a visual I think I'd understand his post much better.
Six

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say so!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
If you say so!

Now I understand!

nope... not really

Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, no, it's excellent.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six, that is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me. Seriously! Awesome. I appreciate that my head comes from Zany Golf, but really, you should have put this head on Guybrush Threepwod's body.

LordGek, "yarr" 'round these parts is a reference to good old fashioned software piracy. I believe the term was coined by the incomparable John Szczepaniak. Basically I will download Shiren when it comes out, put it on my magical DS flashcart, and see precisely how wonderful it is before I go to the trouble of actually purchasing it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

LordGek, "yarr" 'round these parts is a reference to good old fashioned software piracy. I believe the term was coined by the incomparable John Szczepaniak. Basically I will download Shiren when it comes out, put it on my magical DS flashcart, and see precisely how wonderful it is before I go to the trouble of actually purchasing it!

Oh, say no more, wink wink, gotcha.

I will anxiously await your review and please let ME know if I can help you with any of the basics in "Faking it through a Mysterious Dungeon Import". I still don't know a lick of Japanese but I've faked my way through a few of the imported Chunsoft MD games at this point.

My biggest question is simply does your level reset when you die, something I'm assuming you'll find pretty quickly after starting up the game.
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I MADE THE LEAP OF FAITH and placed an order through www.play-asia.com ...but I'd still love to hear the Yarr Report ASAP if available beforehand (usually ships in a week but this is during the HIGH SEASON so who knows how long it will take now).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

play-asia is shipping stupidly fast right now. i got a package two days after ordering it. (hong kong -> new york.) just go with whatever "i need my package by christmas" mode of shipping they recommend.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I seriously can't recommend Play-Asia enough. Their customer support is top notch and their products are in excellent condition. If you're ever looking for something from there in the "used" department expect it to be in or near collectors quality unless the discription says cart only or something.

Anyways, I await a report!

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shipped a few things from them in the past and agree, best prices and reliable shipping...just never put them to the ULTIMATE TEST like this in what is frankly the crappiest time to ship anything.

I just took their default bubblewrap shipping which, previously (before moving from Oregon back to California), was just under a week usually.
Six

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I appreciate that my head comes from Zany Golf, but really, you should have put this head on Guybrush Threepwod's body.
I guess I tend to associate people's avatars with them after a while? Anyway, you're probably going to regret suggesting that picture.

I just found out about the Dreamcast Shiren. I know it's a gaiden - does anybody know if the language barrier is any thicker or thinner on this one?
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enh, hard to say.

Asuka Shiren (as I call that DC and PC one) was an evolutionary step beyond the original SNES which beyond the standard "more of everything" (monsters, items, and partners), once you beat the main game's dungeon, at least on the PC version, some 25-30 new dungeons were opened up for you to explore all with very different parameters (some you could bring in equipment, others none, some had even weirder rules in effect like where you were permanently blind to all of the creatures...you could see their location on the mini map but not on the main map and never would know WHAT your were fighting other than possibly clues from their special attack messages, i.e. if you just got poisoned it must have been a viper that just hit you...).

This game sound like its supposed to be much truer to the original SNES game but now on a handheld, with a few new items and monsters, an optional touch screen interface, and supposedly easier (no idea HOW they hoped to achieve this but hope its not by dropping the whole "level reset when you die" mechanic).

So if you've played the english patched version of the SNES game you should have a damn good idea of what you're in for. FAQs will translate the items for you and you'll probably miss out on any of the specifics on the story...thankfully there is rarely any tricky dialoge in these games so knowing exactly what NPCs are saying isn't usually that important.
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty twisted 15 second spot for the game:

http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=4954
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. its just like the SNES one with a few new things..

i havent really gotten any where outside of the first town because i've been doing fei's puzzles. in this one they let you take as many as you want before you head off.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boo.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
boo.

Why? That would have been an amazing help to me and taken a bit of the edge off.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That commercial is fantastic. It seems to capture the Sega of old spirit for commercials like for the genesis.

LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless dealing with a complete BSer (always a major risk for posts at www.gamefaqs.com) I had somebody WHININGLY confirm that dying in Shiren DS still resets your level and causes you to lose ALL your stuff!

Cool, they didn't NERF the main gameplay and I could see THIS being a big reason Famitsu just gave it a 34/40...who the HELL likes having their level reset everytime they die its SO NASTY...but what this game is all about, in my book.
Fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who works for a games website just posted to his Facebook a photo of a review copy of Izuna that he received in the mail this week. I didn't believe it was really coming here until I saw that.

And, like I told him, why we're getting this and not Shiren continues to befuddle me.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enh, I'm convinced it goes back to the "level reset thing".

Few RPGers in America would get the point of a game THIS HARDCORE. Die and lose all of your items (no, not just drop for you to come back out and recover) and experience earned so far.

Name me ONE Commerical English game that did this AND made some decent sales?
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you discount the Sims then Diablo II is the most popular game in the world. Ever.

So. There.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Diablo has the random dungeons BUT does it BOLDLY reset your level once you die?

Also the Diablo series always wimped out on me since you could INSTANTLY warp back to town at any point for an endless supply of healing potions.

Games like Shiren, just like Nethack, you need to scavange your way through and even when you do find the occasional shop, the supplies are very limited and pretty random (may not have anything that useful when you drop by).
Fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that we have been spoiled by battery backup. Back in my day*, we played Metroid and we liked it! And when we would accidentally write down an underscore in our passwords instead of a hyphen, we started over, and liked it too! And then we got good at the game.

* yesterday
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
boo.

Why? That would have been an amazing help to me and taken a bit of the edge off.

it's a question of pacing! fei's (first) dungeon is unlike the main dungeons of the game - it's predetermined and you can replay each level until you solve it. but each level also teaches you a strategy that you can use in the main game!

so you make a go at the main dungeon, die, and restart at the inn. then you play another level of fei's dungeon, experience a minor but concrete victory, get a useful item and make another go at the dungeon, armed now with that item and the tiny strategy you've learned.

learning the nuances of the game gradually over the course of many replays is better than having them all opened to you at once (not to mention it parallels your experience with the main dungeon) and being able to stock up on fifty fei bonus items before taking on the main dungeon would, i imagine, undermine the work required to start the dungeon with any equipment at all (which normally requires planning and strategy).

this is a minor thing if they've kept the main gameplay intact, though.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Enh, I'm convinced it goes back to the "level reset thing".

Few RPGers in America would get the point of a game THIS HARDCORE. Die and lose all of your items (no, not just drop for you to come back out and recover) and experience earned so far.

Name me ONE Commerical English game that did this AND made some decent sales?

Toejam and Earl?

I mean, it's not like permadeath in roguelikes is a Japanese invention, dude.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even shiren has more carry-over between "lives" than most western roguelikes.

most western roguelikes are free, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

We Americans made some of the Best Roguleikes EVER (Nethack, ADOM, Moria) BUT I don't know of any COMMERCIAL PERMADEATH ROGUELIKES was my point there.
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

it's a question of pacing! fei's (first) dungeon is unlike the main dungeons of the game - it's predetermined and you can replay each level until you solve it. but each level also teaches you a strategy that you can use in the main game!

so you make a go at the main dungeon, die, and restart at the inn. then you play another level of fei's dungeon, experience a minor but concrete victory, get a useful item and make another go at the dungeon, armed now with that item and the tiny strategy you've learned.

learning the nuances of the game gradually over the course of many replays is better than having them all opened to you at once (not to mention it parallels your experience with the main dungeon) and being able to stock up on fifty fei bonus items before taking on the main dungeon would, i imagine, undermine the work required to start the dungeon with any equipment at all (which normally requires planning and strategy).

this is a minor thing if they've kept the main gameplay intact, though.

Maybe THIS is what they meant by toning the challenge down a bit since level reset is still in there. I wonder if you're limited on your rewards possible per session?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Yeah,

We Americans made some of the Best Roguleikes EVER (Nethack, ADOM, Moria) BUT I don't know of any COMMERCIAL PERMADEATH ROGUELIKES was my point there.

There's an option within Diablo to play this way, which might be the closest you'd get to this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: