The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The world as we know it no longer exists (DQIX)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: The world as we know it no longer exists (DQIX) Reply with quote

Dragon Quest IX was announced today for the Nintendo DS.

Huh? I thought it might go Wii, but did anyone expect this? Yeah, it makes sense that the series that relies less on technology and more on selling power would hit the most popular and least powerful system, but I never expected Square-Enix to actually do that. The Nintendo DS has just crowned itself the victor of the next Generation of systems. Crazy!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chew on THAT, internet nerds!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTN!

Anyways, yeah, I ... don't have any idea what to think on this. Is that DQ:Joker coming out to the US?

I guess this is a good idea. Aside from a very small number of no name RPGs, there haven't really been any "new" RPGs for the DS, have there? Even Crystal Chronicles keeps getting pushed back.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-posted from SB:

Wow, what a coup! As soon as I read this, I realized, "this is the way gaming is going. The DS could be the next-gen console winner."

Financially for Square-Enix, this makes perfect sense. Development costs are reasonably low in comparison to the less-familiar next-gen systems, and Joker has given them a test bed. Plus, since the DS is freaking insane in Japan, a new Dragon Quest game has a guaranteed install base.

Personally, I think this idea is grand. I didn't like DQ8 past the first few hours, because I felt the game was stale and uninspiring. I just don't have the time or interest to sink 70 straight hours in anything, you know? But on the DS, a DQ game could be made a lot more taut, more focused. Plus, as it's already been said, if it does feature level-grinding, that's a lot more interesting/manageable when you're not stuck in front of your TV.

I just hope it's more portable-friendly than FF3 has been stated to be; i.e. the ability to save anywhere (I mean shit, it's not 1986), overworlds that don't take 20 minutes to traverse, etc.

So... wow. Enjoy all that money, Nintendo! Find a nice charity somewhere in Kyoto...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? It's a four-player online Action/RPG! This just gets odder and odder!

Here's some footage.

Something tells me that this game isn't actually a numbered Dragon Quest game even though it sort of is (think Final Fantasy XI).

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh. I actually had an idea for a game like this way back for the DS that I'm positive would be fun. Essentially a cross between this and Four Swords Adventure. Spice it up with some randomly generated content (dungeons, world map, etc), alternate modes, and you've got a solid multiplayer game.

I think the main difference was that each player could start on different sides of the globe, actually racing to get to certain treasures/points. Conceivably, there could be 3-4 people per "team." There could even be a 'condensed mode' which would be like a mini-rpg meant to be beaten in about 15 minutes, again focusing on the 'race' factor.

Anyhoo. I ramble. I donno if this is the deal-breaker people at SB seem to think it is, but it is interesting.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all sorts of crazy and I like it.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this the more excited I get. Ironically I find the DS to be ideal for long-form gaming in addition to twitch stuff like wario ware. I couldn't imagine playing phoenix wright on a console, for instance. The DS in particular is nice because you can close it at any time like it was a book and open it later to resume. I'm more and more inclined to think that the future of the industry is in portables and handhelds, while console gaming (and the whole HD fetish that comes with it) becomes more and more of a niche market. I'd be fine with things going that way, to be honest. The DS is home to the majority of my fondest gaming memories of the past year and I don't see that changing anytime soon, even with the awesomeness of the wii.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of any Dragon Quest games this is the one most likely to get me interested in the series. Actually scratch that, I'd probably buy this regardless of whatever brand name is attached to it since it's a multiplayer action RPG on the Nintendo DS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the future of gaming is necessarily in portables and handhelds - but I do think that console gaming as we have known it is very rapidly becoming the past. I've had a lot of nights where I've invited non gaming friends over to play Wii, and they've all had a blast. Everyone wants one. It's exciting and grandiose. You can't have that in a handheld.

Of course, sometimes games shouldn't be exciting and grandiose. Games like Dragon Quest seem like they should be intimate and dear. So. We can have both.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the end of the world as we know it!

(i feel fine.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it's the end of the world as we know it!

(i feel fine.)

I know that was topical and everything, but you're going to have to get a little more obscure with your R.E.M. to impress an Athenian.

Yes, that was probably the douchebaggiest I have ever sounded. I have no regrets.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I know that was topical and everything, but you're going to have to get a little more obscure with your R.E.M. to impress an Athenian.

Kind of like pushing an elephant up the stairs?
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like, if you believe there's nothing up [SquareEnix's] sleeve, then nothing is cool.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone also noted over at the SB forums that with the DS, we lose the grand vistas with the big blue, blue skies. Which will suck since they were so nice in 8, but otherwise, yeah... this could be really awesome.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
I've invited non gaming friends over to play Wii, and they've all had a blast. Everyone wants one. It's exciting and grandiose. You can't have that in a handheld.

I kind of disagree with this. It's not that you can't, it's just a whole lot harder. The DS is the first game machine that I have seen non-gamers interested in, and also seen buy. My mother-in-law is one of those people... she never even touched a Nintendo or anything but after my wife showed her Nintendogs and ... something else I can't remember, she went out and got one a week later.

Showing people games like Kirby and Trauma Center make them like it and want one.

The problem is that the entry fee is really steep to get a lot of people interested. Either way the DS is the closest thing to what you're discribing with the Wii and it makes sense.

I just wish I could find more Wii-motes and Nunchucks. I need at least one more before xmas.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
helicopterp wrote:

Kind of like pushing an elephant up the stairs?

Was there some punchline there that I missed? Very Happy
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Yes, that was probably the douchebaggiest I have ever sounded. I have no regrets.

that's right, keep your conscience in the dark.

(or serve it overseas. i don't care.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: