The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games that make you feel awesome
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also weird that no one said Guitar Hero yet. I thought this was going to be a Guitar Hero thread actually.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no Gitaroo Man.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It's no umjammer lammy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Dracko wrote:
It's no umjammer lammy.

Freestyling in the "Hold the hose real tight" stage trancends awesome!
Six

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirt it to the left, squirt it to the right.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no one mentions Guitar Hero?

Seriously, if you don't feel like the king of the motherfucking universe the first time you beat Cowboys from Hell on expert, there's just no badass in you.

FAKE EDIT! Oh, someone did mention it after I first opened the thread an hour and a half ago. That'll teach me to be so slow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It's no Gitaroo Man.

It certainly makes you feel more awesome though.

Guitar Hero > Gitaroo Man
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
A good, hard boss fight can be spectacularly exciting! I remember the first time I took down Nightmare in Metroid Fusion, after dying more than a dozen times in the attempt. That was really, really cool. The chase scenes in that game were also heart-pumpingly exciting, though for entirely different reasons. Metroid Fusion is a very under-rated game.

See, for a game to make me feel awesome, I need to do stuff like beat a boss fight that seems hard on my first try. In such cases, it's usually a matter of my skill, but it sometimes feels like it was just intuitively designed and I was able to excel.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Dracko wrote:
It's no Gitaroo Man.

It certainly makes you feel more awesome though.

Guitar Hero > Gitaroo Man

I just think that a lot of people are really intimidated by the game, even resentful. Mainly because its such a cross-over it hit and that its encroaching into "their" territory, if you catch my drift.

Kinda like God of War. BTW, has that game been mentioned yet, since I think it qualifies.
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Games that make you feel awesome Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
I
What I want is... to face a challenge that seems unsurmountable, which then forces me to learn and adapt and develop my skills to the point where when I can finally defeat the obstacles that the game presents me-.

This is one of the things that I love in the new Prince of Persia's, the moments when it seems impossible to go any further.. then you realise that if you do this jump here, then that jump there you will get past it. This isn't the action feeling that you want but a kind of puzzle version of it.
Perseus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
This is one of the things that I love in the new Prince of Persia's, the moments when it seems impossible to go any further.. then you realise that if you do this jump here, then that jump there you will get past it. This isn't the action feeling that you want but a kind of puzzle version of it.

Yeah I need to play through the entire trilogy. I played the first one halfway through, but got my save game deleted by mistake. Been avoiding Warrior Within because of the bleh-ness of the overall aesthetic, but I keep hearing about the improved combat and I'd like to see how the three games flow together as a whole.

internisus wrote:
See, for a game to make me feel awesome, I need to do stuff like beat a boss fight that seems hard on my first try. In such cases, it's usually a matter of my skill, but it sometimes feels like it was just intuitively designed and I was able to excel.

Most of the time when I beat a boss on the first try, it just feels too easy (except for the SoTC colossi battles, which are pretty easy but still feel incredibly epic). What games were you thinking of when you wrote that?

To all the people who mentioned Guitar Hero, how does it compare to the arcade Guitar Freaks games?
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the improved combat kind of turned me against Warrior Within; because they also focus on it more.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do focus on it more, but because it's done so much better than Sands of Time's I'm finding it easier to accept. I haven't found nearly so many parts where it totally broke the flow of the game, and the combat itself even manages to feel more like a proper extension of the fluidity that drives the rest of the game.

I avoided Warrior Within for a couple years because all the backlash against the aesthetic stuff sort of got turned into a general statement of "bad game," but it really isn't at all. There are segments in there that are stunning, and when used well the time travel is fantastic.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I first felt this moment in gaming that you're speaking of when I owned Bomerman 64. it was part of the anime fetish high that i rode nearly all of my teenage, where the awesome-ness of something was somehow heighten with the sythful blaring of harmonic chords during the opening scene for...anything, it seemed.

But, what joy that came from branched into my love for Mischief Makers for the 64, which can only really be compared to BM 64 for their similar builds of level foraging, and the same keystone syth-y opening. I'd have to choice MM because it conveys the said keystone a little better, and is an overall better game. At least, it's one that more closely favors your quest for the enthralling, lost-in-the-feeling game that you're asking for.

What is so potent about the game is that it's very meek presentation and coy satire of a somehow familiar plot about a girl(or girly) robot rescuing her builder - multiple times through lighthearted kidnapings by the game's anthropomorphically vague antagonists only presents itself as itself. And that's just another way of saying that the game doesn't take itself too seriously, which can make focusing on the wild platforming a little easier.

I'm going to put words in your mouth and say that you're searching for a game that has a kinetic feel to it. And if that's the case, then each level in MM simply flows from one to another, with rarely the odd hiccup of having to resort to unwanted text about a new ability or skill you have to learn, not wasting any time with lengthen the game with prerequisite tutoring of a certain skill, outside of the first world and set of levels that you play. And that formula works much like Super Mario 64, which could be another choice if you haven't played that yet, for whatever harebrained reason i can think of - and excuse you can. And true that there were some signs that you could read to be refreshed on some skills, but they were nothing that you couldn't just look in the book to learn. Those were just markers as to show you were you should use those moves to access whatever hurdle was in your way. Or that's how i look at it, anyway.

But, basically, this game is what came before any DMC and could just be scene as a 2D component of it, as far as action goes.

Since finishing the game, there are a few levels and a few bosses that I time test myself on, just to put all that the game tossed at me to the test. And whenever I do those, there's that safe, familiar 'clicking' I get since I first played the game, and I dare call it a high. The boss that comes at the end of that volcanic level onward to the last boss you beat will hopefully be the area where it can click for you, too. The levels transcend begin just that, and instead raise to gauntlets where only your skills can help you survive. And no projectile whoring, which is what pulled me from calling DMC the end-all action game, can add you from taking a lick here and there. Action comes right at your face, a whole handful at times. And you'll have to latch square onto it just even start to do any work on foes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: