The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question About Human Evolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
man, i have half a mind to set a pack of wiccans on you. they will girl larp you to death, man!

hey, stfu

in my head i pronounce that "stuff you". yeah, you heard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf dhex? what exactly is your definition of spirituality? i'm probably a bit looser with it than most, but i'd basically call it emotion that's directed towards something bigger than people, intuitively invoking knowledge; I don't think that's too far from a popular definition. Would you mind more elaborately explaining the principle problem with the Bjork song example?

I mean, it doesn't eliminate spirituality; it embodies it! I don't understand how you could think otherwise. So what would you call spirituality that doesn't involve the supernatural?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, enough picking on wiccans. (i will sub daniel pinchbeck from now on)

Quote:
spir·it·u·al /ˈspɪrɪtʃuəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spir-i-choo-uhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal.
2. of or pertaining to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life.
3. closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.: the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics.
4. of or pertaining to spirits or to spiritualists; supernatural or spiritualistic.
5. characterized by or suggesting predominance of the spirit; ethereal or delicately refined: She is more of a spiritual type than her rowdy brother.
6. of or pertaining to the spirit as the seat of the moral or religious nature.
7. of or pertaining to sacred things or matters; religious; devotional; sacred.
8. of or belonging to the church; ecclesiastical: lords spiritual and temporal.
9. of or relating to the mind or intellect.
–noun
10. a spiritual or religious song: authentic folk spirituals.
11. spirituals, affairs of the church.
12. a spiritual thing or matter.

so the issue is that the popular understanding - surprise surprise - is wrong. what they mean is "a sense of wonder" which is a great thing, and utterly necessary for any kind of real life. so what would i call "spirituality" that doesn't involve the extra-natural? i'd call it a sense of wonder, or maybe delusion, or maybe a little bit of both. or maybe i'd call it "hollistic thinking" since that also sounds nice.

spirituality is not an emotion in and of itself. it is an attitude, a mode of looking at the world. it can be a kind of wonder (or a kind of disgust for the physical)

there's nothing wrong with the bjork song; i don't like it that much, but i am totally hep to magna mater, queen of the may, etc, as both a template and a drinking buddy. but it's not atheistic nor materialistic. it is atavistic; giving the universe a primitive human face, searching back for a kind of personality from which we can derive intent, or at least a theme song.

which is also a reasonable mode of operation, unless one is really into criticizing the mytho-emotional stances of others (which i only do at parties and on the internet, to be fair to me). but that obviously restricts the useage of the word spiritual to certain kinds of modes of operation.

i too enjoy the crisp, clean taste of drugs; i have stared at a tree wondering at its inherent tree-ness; i have traced the chain of causation from the arrival of oliver cromwell in ireland to the chance meeting of my parents to this very point where i am sitting now - there is tremendous mystery in the chain of causation; i do recognize that all time is this time and there is no other time; and all sorts of wank that, given the right emotional state, are deeply important to the emotional sphere of the self. very important to poetry, and the arts, etc.

but it's not atheism. this doesn't mean atheists cannot be hollistic, nor compassionate, nor full of wonder; but one has to wonder about the spiritual atheists - and i'm not stealth ripping on buddhists here - and just what they feel they're missing out on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islamo-Buddhism is pretty sweet.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanking metaphysical: Because like, wow, man, nature is, like, wow.
Perseus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

You, sir, are a fuck-face. Just what the hell is islamo-buddhism? Speaking a muslim (not by choice, mind you, I'm an atheist, but if I admit that in real life they'll string me up and kill me- and no, I'm not even remotely kidding about that), I can tell you that we eat Buddhists for breakfast. We despise those hippie reincarnating bastards. Yes, we do.

Sorry, posting while drunk, which is unusual for me. I just found out about the "hey you can opt out of being a muslim if you want to, as long as you don't mind being STONED TO DEATH" clause in my supposed-religion, which is a) freaking me the fuck out and b) making me severely want to move to another country and renounce my existing citizenship (I'm a citizen of a country where only muslims can be citizens, and citizens who convert to other faiths- or just fall out of their existing ones- are liable to be sentenced to death!) in favour of that one.

Fuck. Us atheists really need to get organised and tell all the religious fucknads in the world to fuck the hell off. The rest of y'all are pretty lucky to live in countries where your constitution says you can believe in whatever the fuck you want. Some of us ain't that fucking lucky.

To stray slightly on-topic, would you believe that quite a few people I know, both muslims and christians, all believe that evolution is total baloney and that god actually invented Adam and Eve out of dust or sand or some such thing. Boggles the mind, these people do. And some of them have university degrees and shit, too.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an arguement with my mom this morning about creationism.

I hate talking to her about this kind of thing, because I am an agnostic and she, along with the rest of my family/most of the people in my town are Southern Baptists.

Basically, the arguement started when my sister was talking about how people lived longer in the Old Testament era and I said something about how the measurement of time was probably different then. I then stated that, as an example, if Christian God really did make the Earth in 7 days as Creationists say he did, who's to say that he did it in literally 7 days, and also how do you know that 7 days in God's eyes are the same as 7 days in our eyes?

My mom got pissed because I was doubting the Bible, which is exactly why I don't talk to her about anything but my job and whichever girl is currently using me at the moment.

Also, Perseus, all I have to say is good luck and I really agree with the whole "organization" idea.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discussions about the spirit are difficult even with the best of intentions.

emotions run hot, beliefs run deep (or sometimes not deep enough).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
Dracko wrote:

You, sir, are a fuck-face. Just what the hell is islamo-buddhism? Speaking a muslim (not by choice, mind you, I'm an atheist, but if I admit that in real life they'll string me up and kill me- and no, I'm not even remotely kidding about that), I can tell you that we eat Buddhists for breakfast. We despise those hippie reincarnating bastards. Yes, we do.

Sorry, posting while drunk, which is unusual for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, but that's no reason to snap, considering I'm not even religious in the slightest. Anyway, the Cham people from South Vietnam merged Islam with Buddhism and Hinduism. Sure, most of the meaning of Islam was lost in the process, but I still think it's an intriguing prospect.

As are the Hashshashin. (Hassan-i Sabbah ftw)

OtakupunkX wrote:
I had an arguement with my mom this morning about creationism.

I hate talking to her about this kind of thing, because I am an agnostic and she, along with the rest of my family/most of the people in my town are Southern Baptists.

Basically, the arguement started when my sister was talking about how people lived longer in the Old Testament era and I said something about how the measurement of time was probably different then. I then stated that, as an example, if Christian God really did make the Earth in 7 days as Creationists say he did, who's to say that he did it in literally 7 days, and also how do you know that 7 days in God's eyes are the same as 7 days in our eyes?

My mom got pissed because I was doubting the Bible, which is exactly why I don't talk to her about anything but my job and whichever girl is currently using me at the moment.

My mother is over 60 and recently Born Again. Needless to say, it's not the best of rides living with her whenever I do.
Perseus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoo boy. Sorry for calling you a fuck-face, Dracko! I was ah, pretty drunk when I posted that! No hard feelings, I hope. Well that's the last time I post about religion while drunk! Ha!

Oh, so there is such a thing as Islamo-Buddhism. Here I was thinking you just linked the two together for no good reason. Well, that's pretty interesting! I won't deny that Islam's got some interesting philosophical ideas, particularly in the fringe sects like Sufism, which came out of a strange synthesis between Islam and Persian culture (and is regarded by most orthodox muslims as being so radical that it's practically un-Islamic), or the Bahai sect (also Persian!).

Oh and ah, just to put things in a clearer perspective, I live in Singapore, which is a secular society and thus quite safe to live in, but I come from an Islamic country. I'm not actually SURE that they'd enforce the "apostacy is punishable by death" law (I'm guessing they wouldn't because human rights groups would condemn them, which in turn might affect tourism and the economy and so forth), but really who wants to take that kind of chance? Not me!

As for discussing religious issues with parents (or relatives, or religious friends), I learnt quite early on that it's best not to push it too far. I mean, they're not going to change their views, you know you're not going to change yours, so all that's going to happen is that one (or both) of you is (are) going to get pissed off. Plus, if they're religious, they're probably going to be profoundly distressed at the idea that you're going to hell if you're atheist or agnostic or just of a different faith from them. Best thing to do, I've found, is just to go along with whatever they say and keep your real views to yourself.

It's a pretty cowardly intellectual stance, though, and ultimately quite an unsatisfying one. Which is why I've been thinking about that "Atheist/Agnostic Group" thing- just as a way to stake out a position and try to make people understand that being areligious is a valid theological viewpoint. Of course, the danger is that such a group might well end up turning into a group of Dawkins-esque firebrands. I actually agree with a lot of what that man says, but I don't see any other outcome from what he's doing other than him just pissing a whole lot of religious people off.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw. Can't believe I missed all this!

Well, to answer the initial question: I can understand the initial confusion, but you don't see humanities complete dominance of all other species and the Earth as evidence for why intelligence is a favorable evolutionary trait? I mean, there alone you have the fairly simple direct observation to answer that question.

This doesn't also imply that this intelligence was itself intelligently divined, however. The brain, though byzantine, is still as you say other human processes are: a series of chemical reactions.

On religion: I view it as an anachronism. As the world enters the 21st and perhaps even the 22nd century, I believe religion necessarily has to become a relic of the past. Its essence is opposed to everything humanity has come to laud about its existence--namely, logic, reason, and progress. Religion and magical thinking is based entirely on perfunctory thinking that is so easily taken apart its almost a joke. While I may concede that religion served a purpose at one time, I won't concede that it does now. We, as a species, officially know better.

I totally disagree with the moral relativism that exists now that dictates that all ideas are basically on the same plane, though. Some ideas and sets of concepts more faithfully represent reality than others, we know this. Religious ideas are unhealthy for humanity and society in pretty much every way, and even if it's not "every," they outweigh the pros. Religious logic alone is precluding stem cell research and causing men to tear themselves to bits in allegedly holy crusades. If this isn't reason enough to villify religion and call for its long-needed vanquishing, I don't know what is. Now, is that an effective method? Not at all, really, unfortunately. But that's a separate debate.

I'm with Dracko in the sense that until "evidence" theoretically arose, such beliefs are obviously social and cultural constructs and nothing more. The burden of proof is on the atheists, and it would technically be up to the religious to "prove" their side. It's pretty funny that socially, it's the other way around.

Also, I don't think this even lends an inch to the religious dside of the debate, though, as I am positive no such evidence will ever arise. Perhaps it's hubris, but I'm fairly certain a hundred years and two hundred years from now there'll still be nothing.

here's my orig. contribution:

As I see it, humanity is finite, and it obviously views life from this lens. In most cases, this works well: relationships begin and end, wars begin and end, businesses begin and end. But do they, really? When a person says a friendship "ended," in reality, its merely changed states. When a building is "destroyed," it's actually turned into rubble. Things change states, they never disappear--this is actually a fundamental tenet of science, but we rarely make the connection.

So following this logic, I postulate that the universe--existence--is infite. Stars explode, planets form, nebulae party all night long, but existence never 'ceases' to be. As humans, we want to view a beginning and end, because that's the crux of the human condition: death. But consider this--

Suppose we were to take a nice big rock into space. Let's make it a blue rock for kicks. So this blue rock is floating in space. And then, we break it into pieces. More metaphor, but bear with me--now the fragments are drifting listlessly outside of Earth's orbit. Now, after this, we kill every single living thing on Earth except you. Does the rock--do the rocks still exist? Of course they do. I doubt there's a person who'd say they don't. They will float on indefinitely and maybe collide with a bunch of shit.

Now, let's assume that human beings are the only sentient beings here for sake of argument. Now, we kill you. There is nothing living or intelligent left in the universe. Do the rocks still exist? We've already agreed that things persist even if we're not there (at least a sane person does), so why wouldn't it? It's very, very difficult and painful for our minds to grasp and we get a sense of ego-death when we think about it, but I think this leads us to the most logical conclusion: the universe is and always will be. I think even Hawking stipulates that time and space are like a moebius strip.

So it is that essentially any idea with even a shred of religious logic in it fails and is useless.

Quote:
try to make people understand that being areligious is a valid theological viewpoint.

just semantics here: bald isn't a hair color.
Perseus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that religion will somehow fade away in the next few hundred years, battered under the onslaught of scientific rationalism, is foolishly optimistic. You're forgetting an important fact here- human beings have a near-pathological need to make sense of the world around them, which nearly always leads them to the path of believing in something greater than them that bestows upon them a purpose.

Until the day where humanity comes to terms with the fact that the world is an unbelievably complex place, one that cannot be reduced to simplistic Manichean terms, that there's no afterlife (or if there is, we have no way of knowing anything about it), and that there's no big daddy up in the sky judging us all based on arbitrary and often contradictory moral standards, we won't see religion going away anytime soon.

It pleases people greatly that they can justify their actions using a system of morals that they believe to be derived from non-human, and therefore infallible, sources. I see it as immense cowardice, but it does seem, psychologically, to lead folks to live slightly more happy lives than people like me, who agonize over our actions, and the ethical principles we hold, because we know that the buck stops at us.

In fact, I very much suspect that religion is a side-effect of evolution. The fact that nearly every single human society that we know of has had some sort of supernatural belief system, one that serves to explain the world around them, leads me to think that such societies are the ones that have survived long enough for us to be able to study them. To take this idea further, I don't think it's so very far-fetched to postulate that the vast majority of humans who have survived through the ages are ones who have been more likely to try and make sense of their world by means of religion, which in turn allows them to function better in the world.

So yeah, that's what I think- humans have evolved to be inclined to believe in the supernatural, and those of who are inclined to disbelieve are very likely "aberrations" who are decidedly in the minority. I've come to this view after realizing that most of the religious folks I know don't seem to have much in terms of deep doubts about the validity of their belief systems, while I haven't been able to accept those ideas in any form at all, even when I was very young. It's led me to think that my brain's wiring must be slightly different from theirs.

Moving back to the idea of getting rid of religion, the way I see it, unless we can give the majority a non-religious belief system that's compelling enough for them to abandon their existing beliefs, the status quo is not going to change. The last guy to realize this was Marx, but his system has been, thus far, a complete failure, and for good reason. It's probably far too cynical to expect your political philosophy to supplant religious belief in people, and going down that road seems to lead to rampant nationalism, which isn't a very good thing either! I've met quite a few exchange students from China- many of them are atheist/agnostic, but they're also fanatical about their country and HATE AMERICA to the point of ludicrousness.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Perseus wrote:
try to make people understand that being areligious is a valid theological viewpoint.

just semantics here: bald isn't a hair color.

Ha. Yes, I didn't put that very well, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say- that the religious folk should accept us as we are, stop seeing us as some sort of outlaw demons who will spell the destruction of the world, and please, please, please stop trying to convert us all the time.

Understand that I don't see religion as fundamentally a bad thing (though I do see it as an anachronism)- if people need such things to get by with their lives (and some people REALLY do need it- a friend of mine was seriously contemplating suicide for a good half-year after being dumped (and no she's not a crazy teenager either) in a very bad way and only came to terms with it after convincing herself that he's going to be punished by God), then I don't see any reason to stop them. However, the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religious traditions that dominate the world today really have to go, or at least be changed significantly from their existing forms. They're just highly, highly poisonous philosophies in their original forms.

Well, alright, Christianity's changed with the times enough that it's possible to be Christian, believe in evolution and even not hate gay people, which is awesome, and I don't really no enough about Judaism to say anything one way or anotherm but Islam is pretty bug-fuck insane about all this stuff, and because one of the central tenets of the religion is that it's fundamental ideas must NEVER be challenged (this, perversely, is is one of the main appeals of the religion), it's going to be next to impossible to change it in the foreseeable future. You can't reform a religion which answers the call to reform with the call to kill the guy who called for said reform.

I'd like to see Buddhism take over the world. Worst that they'll do is make everyone vegetarian (or maybe not- Buddha ate meat after all).
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you're saying, Perseus. I alluded to it briefly, and perhaps should have been more clear: I said it "has" to. That is, if humanity is to finally grow out of its shell. If we approach anything near Level 1 on the Kardashev scale (and I'm really not just being bromidic here, I think it's a useful reference point), we just won't function if we have religion. Now--do I think it's realistic? I'm not sure. I think if religion doesn't disappear, we will end up killing ourselves anyway. So basically, if humanity survives this next century or two, it will have necessarily rid itself of religion.

Quote:
It pleases people greatly that they can justify their actions using a system of morals that they believe to be derived from non-human, and therefore infallible, sources. I see it as immense cowardice, but it does seem, psychologically, to lead folks to live slightly more happy lives than people like me, who agonize over our actions, and the ethical principles we hold, because we know that the buck stops at us.

I've thought about this a lot too. It strikes me as entirely dishonest to not kill or not steal because you think your God told you to. It shows an egregious lack of empathy and real compassion. If the only reason you're kind to your "fellow man" is for fear of divine retribution, you're a god damned (hah!) sadistic person.

I don't know how you can say it "generally" leads people to live more happy lives. On the contrary, it throws a bone into essentially every conceivable situation. Morals as dictated by religion are so vague and archaic (beyond the overt 10 in Western religion, of which at least half aren't even real moral mandates) that it's even more confusing to deal with any given situation, because the answer isn't there--and hey, these guys say abortion is totally wrong cos of this part of the bible, but these guys say it's totally okay cos God loves everybody. Why would 'confession' even exist if these moral choices were so banal as you say?

Quote:
In fact, I very much suspect that religion is a side-effect of evolution.

Well, okay. Would you say technology is a side-effect of evolution? It is. It's what makes us unique, really--it goes hand in hand with intelligence, it is the manifestation of our intelligence. But isn't this really a technicality, at least in this argument? I suppose you could say that, but it's a byproduct that we've outgrown. It's a 'trait' that we have seen that some of us are clearly beyond. Besides, this belief system was only in place because of a lack of real science. Indeed, "back then," science and religion would have been the same thing: the purpose being to divine truth. So really, all that's happened is that as humanity has evolved and matured, we've split divining truth into two categories: the effective and the ineffective.

Incidentally, there's a book on this topic that is supposed to be very interesting--I was going to buy it but never got around to it. Related is another book that came out recently on a genetic case for 'right and wrong.' Maybe I'll askmefi it.

Quote:
To take this idea further, I don't think it's so very far-fetched to postulate that the vast majority of humans who have survived through the ages are ones who have been more likely to try and make sense of their world by means of religion, which in turn allows them to function better in the world.

Yeah, forget every religious war ever.

Quote:

So yeah, that's what I think- humans have evolved to be inclined to believe in the supernatural, and those of who are inclined to disbelieve are very likely "aberrations" who are decidedly in the minority. I've come to this view after realizing that most of the religious folks I know don't seem to have much in terms of deep doubts about the validity of their belief systems, while I haven't been able to accept those ideas in any form at all, even when I was very young. It's led me to think that my brain's wiring must be slightly different from theirs.

Let's be condescending here and assume the non-religious gene is the advantageous one. Well, all evolutionary mutations start out as aberrations, don't they? Isn't it entirely possible that it will spread? The Western world, at least, has become practically more secular. Who's to say it isn't possible?

Quote:
and some people REALLY do need it- a friend of mine was seriously contemplating suicide for a good half-year after being dumped (and no she's not a crazy teenager either) in a very bad way and only came to terms with it after convincing herself that he's going to be punished by God

But this is only necessity in the same way that you need morphine during surgery. Should you then become an opiate addict? Hardly. Sure, you might 'need' it during that extenuating circumstance, but you would certainly be better off without it.

And sure--I'm more accepting of tame and actually beneficial religious systems like Buddhism. But while they aren't a "threat," they're still offenders. Believing in ghosts doesn't do that much harm in isolation, but it does teach you to make significant leaps in logic and accept them. And if you do that with one facet of your life, why not with others? Doesn't this hint as to what perspective you view the world from? Isn't that perspective skewed?

At its most 'harmless,' religion (and remember, in this case I'm using religion as a catch-all term for all unfounded supernatural beliefs) causes people to make irrational, wasteful decisions--not doing this on x day, not eating this x in x way. At its worse, religion can stop progress (i can't stress stem cell research enough) and cause bloodshed. There is really nothing inherently good about religion that can't be accomplished secularly.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We, as a species, officially know better.

that sound you hear is history laughing until it pisses its pants.

there's plenty of secular magical thinking to go around anyway. meaning is magic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
As I see it, humanity is finite, and it obviously views life from this lens.

I disagree. I prefer to view life, humanity, and the continuing products of humanity as steps in the natural unfolding of the universe that you see as infinite. For example, human constructs such as civilization and information are governed by the same processes of evolution as life is.

Also, those of you interested in organizing atheists so that they can all be together and point fingers at religious nuts might want to consider the enormous war that would probably come out of that eventually. Nonetheless, there exist many atheist internet blogs. One I like is daylight atheism. For example, check out this tribute to Carl Sagan. It's a great piece of writing.

There are even places online that want you to write an essay to them entitled "Why I am a Militant Atheist" ! Have fun!

Last edited by internisus on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Perseus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:
To take this idea further, I don't think it's so very far-fetched to postulate that the vast majority of humans who have survived through the ages are ones who have been more likely to try and make sense of their world by means of religion, which in turn allows them to function better in the world.

Yeah, forget every religious war ever.

Point taken (let's not forget the current war on terror), though what I meant is that religion is a very effective means of social control, without which many ancient societies might've just fallen apart due to internal strife.

Yeah I think I broadly agree with your points, Lockeownzj00, though I remain unconvinced that religion will disappear in the coming centuries, or that we'll self-destruct if it doesn't (though that's just me being optimistic)- however, if China starts to exert a significant cultural influence on the rest of Asia, we might possibly see a move towards a more secular society here (I guess Europe's already secular, dunno about America these days), though local superstitions will not die anytime soon.

internisus, I think what Lockeownzj00 was saying is that human beings, being mortal beings, see the world in terms of fixed beginnings and endings, not that humanity as a whole is finite (which is a weird statement, really).

dhex wrote:
there's plenty of secular magical thinking to go around anyway. meaning is magic.
Elaborate, pls.
internisus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiction is magic !
Perseus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read Grant Morrison and/or Alan Moore, don't you?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Elaborate, pls.

the singapore dollar is far more colorful than our own, but i presume there are laws against defacement and destruction of it - as well as counterfeiting?

Quote:
United States Code
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 17 - COINS AND CURRENCY
§ 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or
unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill,
draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking
association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System,
with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence
of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”
FINDLAW
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/18/parts/i/chapters/17/sections/section_333.html
or
http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=defaces&url=/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000333----000-.html

NOTES TITLE 18 SECTION 333
http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000333----000-notes.html

United States Code
TITLE 18
PART I
CHAPTER 17
§ 331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=defaces&url=/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000331----000-.html

“Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,
falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of
the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current
or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or
sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into
the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered,
defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or
lightened— Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
five years, or both.”

well, golly. our own federal code includes laws against defacing foreign currency as well.

i have a lot of ripped singles on my wall; which, of course, were ripped accidentally and beyond repair, unfortunately being taken out of circulation by no fault of my own nor any parties i could be a witness to. of course.

meaning is an inexact science.

goldbugs find this particularly vexing, in their quest for monetary stability and low inflation. they have a hard time explaining why gold is more "real" than green paper is. i try to tell them that it is ok, and that the world is ruled by magic, but that just upsets them further.

edit: another less esoteric example is the "where do rights come from?" game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the singapore dollar is far more colorful than our own, but i presume there are laws against defacement and destruction of it - as well as counterfeiting?

Yeah, I think the laws against defacing money (and flags) are pretty much the same here as they are in the US.

I see your point, though. Money = magic. The values of all commodities are essentially social constructs. The idea that money is a tangible thing, with real value outside of transactions, has strangely still not gone away, probably because pop culture likes it so much.

It was actually the term "secular magical thinking" that I wanted you to elaborate on, Dhex, but never mind, I've google'd it. Is the book about it, by Simon During, any good (though that book appear?

Quote:

Isn't the answer to that rather simple and well, obvious? Unless one believes that bit in the US constitution about fundamental and inalienable rights, which I can't imagine people do anymore. Well, aside from the religious folk.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe in believing in inalieable rights.

i've never read that book.

the "where do rights come" question is far more important - and far less obvious - than it seems at face value.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
dhex wrote:

Isn't the answer to that rather simple and well, obvious?

What would that answer be, in your opinion? As far as I can tell, at the very, very source, rights come from whoever has the might to enforce and the cleverness and charisma to impress them upon others. I take issue with the whole "freedom" thing on that token.

P.S. None at all.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I disagree. I prefer to view life, humanity, and the continuing products of humanity as steps in the natural unfolding of the universe that you see as infinite. For example, human constructs such as civilization and information are governed by the same processes of evolution as life is.

I don't see how this statement is incongruous with what I said. I'm in complete and utter agreement, and I think you can actually find mention of this in some of my earlier posts. I, too, view human constructs in lifecycles. I still don't see how this is conflicting with 'humanity is mortal and finite, most people personfiy existence in the same way.'

On rights: I have a friend whose area of philosophical expertise is this. I'll see if he'd be willing to write something up.

Last edited by Lockeownzj00 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
What would that answer be, in your opinion? As far as I can tell, at the very, very source, rights come from whoever has the might to enforce and the cleverness and charisma to impress them upon others. I take issue with the whole "freedom" thing on that token.

That's precisely what I think. Human rights are social constructs. We live in democracies, so our rights stem from laws written into the constitutions of the countries in which we live. They're in no way fundamental, or inalienable. The American founding fathers clearly knew this. Let's take a look at this famous line from the Declaraion of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

I'm sure the founding fathers, who were all very intelligent men, realised very well that there are no such things as unalienable rights- they pretty much invented that concept right there and then, and very smartly attributed said rights to a Creator in order to provide a justification which would be accepted by the predominantly Protestant population of the time.

But the fact that slavery wasn't ended in the country until Honest Abe (who I just found out was an Atheist, or at least didn't believe in Christianity! and here I was thinking all your presidents were Christians) came along says a lot about how seriously the above line was taken by early Americans, and how arbitrarily people can decide what rights to give to other people, or even whether or not to consider them people (!) at all.

And now we have the continuing resistance to the legalization of gay marriage. I would argue that marriage is a basic right- straight people in any community anywhere in the world would be up in arms if people told them they couldn't marry- but clearly many other people don't feel that way.

Hell, homosexuality (or rather, homosexual sex) is outright illegal here in Singapore, and this is supposed to be a civilized country that respects human rights. If that isn't proof that the ruling class in a society decides what rights the population should enjoy, I don't know what is.

Freedom is, I think, a pretty tricky issue... To be honest, having lived in a country that, despite having no free speech and no political freedom so to speak, has become one of the most economically developed, technologically-advanced countries in Asia and maybe the world, I often wonder what freedom really amounts to. The argument being this: "freedom ultimately doesn't matter if you can live a good life (in the simple sense of having enough to eat, a roof over your head, excellent medical care and all the cool toys modern life can provide) without it."

I think the answer is yes, if only because I instinctively distrust all forms of authority, but I can't really formulate a good counter-argument to the above... Anyone care to give it a shot?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is where this gets fun (read: maddening)

if marriage is a basic "right" but rights are imaginary, where does that leave you?

if morals are imaginary, how do you oppose rape beyond "oh, i don't like it and it hurts someone and that's bad?"

even legal culture is not nearly as top down as you might think. (because i'm balls deep in a gun policy project, i would point to florida's "stand your ground" laws, the proliferation of CCW laws since 1980, etc, and some choice quotes from cops and lawmakers on this particular issue.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite author for this kind of stuff is Daniel Dannett. I helped the guy w/ his email at my university job in the mid-90s, but didn't realize how much I liked his work 'til much later.

Anyway, his books "Darwin's Dangerous Idea" and "Consciousness Explained" I think help deal with this kind of issue.

I think most people's model of consciousness is way over blown; frankly, most of us react, not act, most of the time, with consciousness kind of the story of our self we make up after the fact.

As for the evolutionary standpoint... well, intelligence is expensive, evolutionary speaking, I think a species has to some get away from the plateau of "clever animal" and onto this one place where a brain starts paying for itself from a support kind of view.

And in the long run, there's no definite answer that our intelligence is the "best" idea; I think ants outweigh us in a sheer biomass frame of reference, and there's a good chance will outlive us as a species...
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hardcover of Dennett's Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon and will be reading it shortly. He's great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: