The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
churippu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wauggh I can't stop listening to Blumchen. I accidently stumbled apon the profile on myspace and I was blown away by the catchy german happy hardcore music! I hear that the girl now does just regular pop music now.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grindcore with a drum machine, two keyboardists, guitar and singer that has weird little idm flourishes in part. it is ridiculously good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it as good as the album cover? Because a cover that good would make one assume that music is just as good.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. yes it is.

the full length is a bit more polished, it sounds better (the mixing is remarkably good) and considering all the drums are fruity loops, etc, yes.

one of hte dudes is in a band that i'd heard of before but i can't remember what.

Last edited by dhex on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a few of their songs two months ago, they have too much mathcore (I hate the term "mathcore") in their sound for my liking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't they part of Indian Jewelry or some such tidbit?
duckzero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
duckzero wrote:
Kick, Push (remix) - Lupe Fiasco and Pharell
This is mostly by accident, as it just always happens to be picked whenever I switch to one of my playlists, but good song nonetheless.

How is this different from the one on the album?

She Keeps on Passing Me By - The Pharcyde

Something about the Pharcyde just doesn't work for me, kind of like Jurassic 5. I think it's the way they rap too much about being better rappers than everyone else, but their flow is boring and stilted. And they have this kind of faux-washed-out sound that just bores me.

Well the Kick, Push remix only has a verse by Pharell.

I can see what you are saying with the Pharcyde, Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc... They really do say how much they are better than other MC's and such. But I do like the production a lot. Actually that's probably what makes my favorite songs keepers for me.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Guys if you like hard rock, metal, and/or drone you all need to listen to HARVEY MILK, especially Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men

Thank you for suggesting this! I just got done giving it my first listen, fucking stellar! I love the variety, but it all fits togethor. Plus it does not get all silly, which I was worried about at first. I hate silly experimental/weirdo bands, bands that all of sudden will cut into song with some country western song with lyrics like "Im a zombie doctor, waxing a telephone pole, RAHHPAAAKIYAHHH!" or some shit. Harvey Milk = A-OK!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckzero wrote:
The Roots

Is Game Theory as good as everybody says it is?
dongle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
Thank you for suggesting this! I just got done giving it my first listen, fucking stellar! I love the variety, but it all fits togethor. Plus it does not get all silly, which I was worried about at first. ... Harvey Milk = A-OK!

Thanks for giving it a listen. I've been into them for a few years and now that they're together and their CDs are mostly back in print there's a concrete reason to rep them again.

I like their other CDs, but I can't tell you how many times I've listened to Courtesy, especially in times of loss. It's simultaneously heartbreaking and strengthening, epic and deeply personal, and it stretches from abstract noise-rock to straightforward almost Jandek inspired folk-rock, without a hint of pretension. In terms of modern music, it's my desert-island cd.

EDIT does anyone have oink or indietorrents or any other good music tracker invites?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm going to take this opportunity to plug my best friend's band, as it seems like there might be some people here that would be interested in it. Their name is The Concerta Circus, their MySpace profile with songs and such is located here, and, if I had to describe them, it would be with the terrm "reggae punk". I'm not sure if the music on their site is from their last show, but I helped them do their demo about a week ago and it sounded really rough (we made it in five hours by recording them through my camcorder and then ripping the audio from the tape) but the quality of the songs still kind of shone through in a way. The live stuff from their last show is really good though, and they're planning on recording a proper demo soon (plus they're going on tour throughout Texas, West Virigina, North Carolina, and everywhere in-between this summer... they could've played South by Southwest too but they didn't have a demo done in time).

If you decide to friend them, let 'em know that I sent you (my actual name's Rex by the way, if you tell them my forum handle they won't know who you're talking about).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:

EDIT does anyone have oink or indietorrents or any other good music tracker invites?

I sent you a PM.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
I like their other CDs, but I can't tell you how many times I've listened to Courtesy, especially in times of loss. It's simultaneously heartbreaking and strengthening, epic and deeply personal, and it stretches from abstract noise-rock to straightforward almost Jandek inspired folk-rock, without a hint of pretension. In terms of modern music, it's my desert-island cd.

Ever listened to Swans?
dongle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Ever listened to Swans?

checking out now. Also, massive thanks to Wall of Beef
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Ever listened to Swans?

Ive been meaning to get an album of theirs for a while. I have heard chunks, and none of it ever sounded the same. Which is the best to start off with?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundtracks for the Blind is a good start. Follow with Children of God, The Great Annihilator and Love of Life. The frontman, Michael Gira, also released a couple of solo albums. I recommend Drainland, then Solo Recordings at Home. Also consider World of Skin's Blood, Woman, Roses and Shame, Humility, Revenge as well as the Neurosis & Jarboe album.

If you're looking for something more folk oriented, his Angels of Light project is where its at.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently half way through "Soundtracks for the Blind", this album is so far fantastic. I can't really comment on it too much since I am only at track number 14 (the sound) of 26. It could be the name of the album "Soundtracks..." thats influencing me, but it does feel very cinematic. That each song was crafted around video segments. Plus the audio samples of old people chattering on about their problems also adds to that feeling. I mean who does'nt love hearing an old man talk about his detached retina? Ill add more comments once I am finshed with the album.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget white light from the mouth of infinity!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Psychic Paramount

(thanks wfmu)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few albums I've been listening to an awful lot lately. They seem to aptly soundtrack the experience of being 23 with no job and living in my dad's back room.

Lou Reed - Berlin
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Nico - Chelsea Girls
Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire De Melody Nelson

That last one I don't even put back in the case, it just lives on top of my CD player, that's how much it gets listened to.
gutomatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

los hermanos, my favourite brazilian band.

Also Annuals - Be He Me, a very good debut album, Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming, and the new The Shins album.
baron patsy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Decemberists' EP The Tain is really good.
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
don't forget white light from the mouth of infinity!

I think this is the best Swans album to start with, because it fits nicely between the more punishing sounds and the cinematic/mellifluous experimentation — plus it's far better than Love of Life. That, Children of God, or The Great Annihilator, perhaps. And then work outward from there.

Speaking of Angels of Light, I think Everything is Good Here/Please Come Home has turned out to be my favorite. Also, Gira's solo recording I Am Singing To You From My Room should be heard before The Angels of Light Sing 'Other People'. Or after, I guess — either way, it should be heard.

dongle wrote:
The Psychic Paramount

Gamelan Into the Mink Supernatural is absolute ecstasy! One of my favorites from last year.

Lately I've been dying to tell someone that I'm rediscovering Björk, so I'll just do that here.

She's a bit like the fantasy pop idol you read about in William Gibson novels or see in movies/anime — actually good (as opposed to the mainstream American concept of a pop idol), mesmerizing, sexy as hell, and tasteful when it comes to mixing weird 'experimental' styles (particularly when it comes to visual aesthetics) with contemporary pop/electronic sounds. Even if I didn't like her music, she must be one of the most beautiful human beings alive.

From the video for "Pagan Poetry", which I think is one of her best songs.

So she's no Maja Ratkje when it comes to utterly fearless voice-oriented noise and experimentation, which seemed to be the sort of thing she was reaching for with Medúlla (and the guy on Amazon.com screaming "NO ONE ELSE IS MAKING MUSIC LIKE THIS" is quite mistaken), falling a bit short and as a result muddling her otherwise magical, pop-saturated style (the appearances of Rahzel and Mike Patton helped nothing), but nevertheless... Her albums from Debut through Vespertine are all outstanding in their own ways. And now there's this Drawing Restraint 9 soundtrack, in which (on several tracks, at least) she gets a hell of a lot closer to what she was moving toward with Medúlla, so it looks like she's not finished just yet. Just getting started, maybe!

I'm also listening to the new Clipse record: Hell Hath No Fury. It's fucking HOT.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:

I'm also listening to the new Clipse record: Hell Hath No Fury. It's fucking HOT.

Whats the deal with this record? Its like the official indie music scene Rap album right now.
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing: CROTCHDUSTER! (Cover art somewhat NSFW.)

Metal with all the irreverent, manic humor of The Mothers of Invention!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
antitype wrote:

Whats the deal with this record? Its like the official indie music scene Rap album right now.

It was leaked before its release. I think it's still not out yet. The record label have been sitting on it for some time, anyway. Someone sent me it a week or so ago, I really ought to listen to it.

EDIT: Ok I done listened to it. Neptunes production all the way through. Cold, stark, harsh feel to nearly the whole record which is not entirely pleasant. I've always thought Clipse is one of those humourless, personalityless money-and-lifestyle rappers that it's hard to really love, but the production carries him through. Some good beats and some exceptional.

The last track is pretty swell. Edit the rapping out and you've got one of Pharrell Williams' best songs, right there.

Some good raw material for your best of the Neptunes mixtape but as an album it's nothing blinding. If you're looking for meat-and-potatoes rap to play in your car to make you look t.h.u.g.g. then this is the record, but right now I can't see myself listening to it for fun. Maybe I'll grow to like it on subsequent listenings. One thumb up. (o^^)b
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:

That band is where I stole the headline for my website:

WECOME TO MY DICK

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antitype, I think I am going to go and rediscover Bjork as well. Debut has some great songs; Post is fantastic through and through, and it contains her first real bits of dark wonder in Cover Me and Headphones; I like the songs of Homogenic, but not really the style; Selmasongs is exhilerating; Vespertine is incredibly gorgeous and perfect for wintertime; Medulla didn't do much for me, but I love Oceania. Her Sugarcubes (they've been having reunion shows!) work was fun, too! I have the Family Tree box set that came out after Vespertine, and it includes some incredible recordings both in the sense of her history and just as very unusual or alternative takes you wouldn't normally hear. I'm going to go and put that set on now!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:

I find Meat Shits to be funnier and, well, not terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to track down that Clipse album and get back to everybody on how I feel about it. Pitchfork loved it, but Pitchfork doesn't seem to understand hip-hop a lot of the time, and they write like pricks. HarveyJames: Thanks for your input on it!

I've been listening to the Cirque du Soleil Beatles mash-up album "Love" ever since my roommate came home with it a week ago. If you like the Beatles a whole lot, and I do, this will be one of the most fun records you'll ever listen to simply because it invites a close-listening re-examination of the songs you are so familiar with deconstructed, reconstructed, meshed and mashed. The track that combines "Within You Without You" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" is a dream.
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Cold, stark, harsh feel to nearly the whole record which is not entirely pleasant. I've always thought Clipse is one of those humourless, personalityless money-and-lifestyle rappers that it's hard to really love, but the production carries him through.

But, uh, Clipse is a duo: Malice and Pusha-T.

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
antitype wrote:

I find Meat Shits to be funnier and, well, not terrible.

If you're calling Big Fat Box of Shit (italics for album titles) terrible, I have serious doubts about your taste in metal and music in general.

I'm 100% serious.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiresome is the word that I shall use for it. Like "the joke guy" in any group, the one who keeps starting up jokes because he has the idea that he's a genuinely funny social magnet but instead gets excluded from all activities because he just ruins the moment and causes everyone to roll their eyes and tries to look away and embarrassed to be associated with him.

I'd rather listen to Lawnmower Death. In fact, I'm listening to Mower Liberation Front right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Tiresome is the word that I shall use for it. Like "the joke guy" in any group, the one who keeps starting up jokes because he has the idea that he's a genuinely funny social magnet but instead gets excluded from all activities because he just ruins the moment and causes everyone to roll their eyes and tries to look away and embarrassed to be associated with him.

If you're talking about Justin Suecof, the main mind behind Crotchduster, well, you may or may not know that he's also at the helm of the awesome technical death metal band Capharnaum and produces lots of less interesting mall metal like Trivium (whose vocalist, the 20-year-old Matt Heafy, also sings in Capharnaum), God Forbid, etc. So I mean, it's not like Crotchduster is his only creative outlet. It's just his place to lampoon bands in every subgenre of metal while splicing in bits of disco and hip-hop and Madonna and whatever else. It's entertaining. Why such a party pooper?

to be fair, Lawnmower Deth are lots of fun, too!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Cold, stark, harsh feel to nearly the whole record which is not entirely pleasant. I've always thought Clipse is one of those humourless, personalityless money-and-lifestyle rappers that it's hard to really love, but the production carries him through.

But, uh, Clipse is a duo: Malice and Pusha-T.

See, that just goes to prove my point. Clipse are so boring and generic sounding, I didn't even realise it was two guys. I've listened to the album a few more times and I've not really changed my position on it.

For balance my favorite hip-hop album right now is The Unseen by Quasimoto. His second album Further adventures of Lord Quas has some pretty amazing tracks on it too. Also Jay-Z and DJ Dangermouse's The Grey Album is pretty essential.

Pitchfork didn't like The Grey Album, which should have been the first signal never to listen to them about hip-hop ever again.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem with The Grey Album is that I like the white album and The Black Album so much better on their own. That having been said, I still really like it. "What More Can I Say" and "December 4th" work especially well on it.

The official helicopterp's Hell Hath No Fury report should be coming Tuesday or Wednesday, since a friend of mine is going to burn me a copy. This was after he left a message on my facebook wall calling the album "straight fire." We'll see.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
Antitype, I think I am going to go and rediscover Bjork as well. Debut has some great songs; Post is fantastic through and through, and it contains her first real bits of dark wonder in Cover Me and Headphones; I like the songs of Homogenic, but not really the style; Selmasongs is exhilerating; Vespertine is incredibly gorgeous and perfect for wintertime; Medulla didn't do much for me, but I love Oceania. Her Sugarcubes (they've been having reunion shows!) work was fun, too! I have the Family Tree box set that came out after Vespertine, and it includes some incredible recordings both in the sense of her history and just as very unusual or alternative takes you wouldn't normally hear. I'm going to go and put that set on now!

Ok we're talking about Bjork!!

My favorite Bjork songs are Hidden Place, Unravel and Cocoon. And (just to show I'm not being too cool for school and deliberately listing a bunch of lesser-known stuff) Big Time Sensuality and Venus As A Boy.

Hidden Place I can listen to a million times and always find something new on it. It's perfect.

There's a lot of stuff on Vespertine that takes a while to get into but ends up not being worth it, in my opinion; like Aurora. With things like that it just feels like she's going over ground she's trodden before, but this time the tunes aren't as good. However, Cocoon, An Echo A Stain, and a few others are definitely worth the effort. Cocoon is a masterpiece.

Vespertine is also one of those albums where the B-Sides are just as essential as the main album- probably more essential in some cases, since the B-sides are all quite experimental while some of the album tracks are a bit workmanlike.

Selmasongs has got a whole bunch of really good and accessable songs on it. Telegram is definately worth hearing. It has a Deodato remix of Isobel on it. Deodato is this legendary Brazilian jazz/funk producer who did that funk remix of the 2001: A Space Odyssey theme.

There are some artists where it's not really worth straying off the beaten path with regards to their output- Prince has released approximately 300 albums, but apart from a few good songs here and there the only ones worth listening to are the ones everyone already knows about. Bjork isn't like that- it's all worth checking out. Even Kukl, the band she was in before The Sugarcubes, are amazing. 'Dismembered' is a good one of theirs.

I like about 3 or 4 tracks off Medulla. Apparently the songs were written 'organically as part of the recording process', which sounds about right. That last track is amazing, though- I heard that in a club in Cardiff and everyone went mental.

Oh yeah, listen to the Soft Pink Truth remix of It's In Our Hands. It's what Bjork would have sounded like in 2001 if she'd carried on making electro dance music. My friend said it 'sounds like Ladytron if Ladytron were any good'.

P.S. it's worth noting that a lot of the songs on Vespertine are about shagging, and a lot of the songs on Medulla are about breast-freeding and being a mother. That's a cautionary tale if ever I heard one.
antitype

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
Vespertine is incredibly gorgeous and perfect for wintertime

This is the absolute truth, and in fact exactly how this rediscovery got started. It's been a snowy week.

You guys should listen to Drawing Restraint 9 and let me know what you think of it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
My biggest problem with The Grey Album is that I like the white album and The Black Album so much better on their own.*

Not me

Not to be contrarian, but I don't really listen to the White Album all that much. Not to say it's no good, but something about it bugs me. Perhaps it's the way beautiful John Lennon songs like Dear Prudence come out as MOR rubbish after they're fed through Ringo and Macca's pub-rock mincing machine. Some of is great and some of it ain't.

As for the Black Album, it has the thing I don't like about a lot of modern Hip-Hop albums, which is that the're no consistency between the tracks, since there's a different producer for each of them. Plus, DJ Dangermouse's production is far more listenable and inventive than a bunch of second-choice Neptunes and Timberland dub plates. Listen to Dangermouse's version of 99 Problems and then listen to Rick 'DJ Double R' Rubin's version- there's no contest. The Rick Rubin version sounds like he knocked it up in Hip Hop E-Jay.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
internisus wrote:
Vespertine is incredibly gorgeous and perfect for wintertime

This is the absolute truth, and in fact exactly how this rediscovery got started. It's been a snowy week.

You know the bass tones in Cocoon sound exactly like the music on the Snowman TV in Animal Crossing.

antitype wrote:
You guys should listen to Drawing Restraint 9 and let me know what you think of it.

It's OK?

Apparently Matthew Barney was a little disappointed by it. For art-house soundtrack music It's kind of generic.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions differ as does taste in humour, antitype. You'll probably never change my mind on Crotchduster but you deserve props for trying. I think I'll just stick to the other duster, Bloodduster. No new album yet but Tony does have a real frostbitten tatt.

Now let's all be friends and put on a bit of

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some thoughts on the Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury album.

Honestly this is the hip hop album i've been waiting on all year. Moreso than the new Jay-Z, or the new Jeezy. The production is incredibly tight, the rhymes of Pusha and Malice are very, acceptable (I would prefer a little less cocaine talk, but it's not overpowering though). Yeah, they do sound the same, only because they are twins, and that adds a bit to the album, because I always listen extra hard to the lyrics to make sure i know who's spitting what. Which in turn made me appreciate them more. Overall, best hip hop album of the year.

And for a bonus, if anyone can pick up the We Got the Remix Mixtape by the Clipse, it's well worth it. I can send it to people who want it.

Danger Mouse is a solid producer for sure, although I have not heard the Grey Album, Danger Doom and Gnarles Barkley are testaments to his skill with Hip Hop.

For bonus points: Get the new Jeezy album, it's quite nice![/i]
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gnarls Barkley but it doesn't seem like hip hop much at all.

The Danger Doom album is pretty good.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:

Oh yeah, I was kind of just dancing to "Smiley Faces" about 10 minutes ago!

But yeah... it's not really very Hip Hop, though Mr. Mouse's part is rather Hip Hop-esque!
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a recent trend of doing hip hop production on non-hip albums. Gnarls Barkely, both Gorillaz albums (the first is by Dan the Automator, the genius behind Dr. Octagon's beats, the second by Dangermouse), and a lot of Fugees/Lauryn Hill stuff can't be categorized as hip hop.

It's actually a damn smart way to get that hip hop energy and innovation into stale genres like pop and soul.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't stop listening to my neighbors on both sides of my dorm having sex Sad

i wish i could stop.

i've been listening to WFMU and discovered Gyorgy Ligeti. Well, his experimental electronic side, anyway. I think we all know him from Kubrick films.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:

That album is weird. Why are the entire cast of Space Ghost Coast To Coast featured throughout?

I was a little disappointed with it since from what I can tell Danger doesn't really stamp his personality on it- it's not very far removed from any of MF Doom's other albums. Well, I guess it's more upbeat and features more references to Adult Swim cartoons.

Also you guys are going to have to try harder to convince me that Hell Hath No Fury is a good album and not the bland, run-of-the-mill Star Trak side project I think it is.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:

That album is weird. Why are the entire cast of Space Ghost Coast To Coast featured throughout?

Because it's an Adult Swim album? A second has already been released, Chrome Children, by various MCs and DJs. It features a new Madvillain track, which is awesome, cause Madvillain was amazing whereas Danger Doom is merely good.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My friend said it 'sounds like Ladytron if Ladytron were any good'.

ouch. yeah, it's one of the dudes from matmos. matmos is cool.

in the "i can't start listening" category someone i know and love very much spent a good year telling me about how much i would like the mountain goats. she was wrong. reminds me of that shut in folkie with the single weird name - jandek? anyway, we get guys like this on the subway, including this one dude who travels with an amp strapped to his back and plays knocking on heaven's door and sings through what looks like a homemade headset. on a subway, there's really no need for amplification, so despite having an interesting voice he never gets any cash because he's unnecessarily annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
My friend said it 'sounds like Ladytron if Ladytron were any good'.

ouch. yeah, it's one of the dudes from matmos. matmos is cool.

in the "i can't start listening" category someone i know and love very much spent a good year telling me about how much i would like the mountain goats. she was wrong. reminds me of that shut in folkie with the single weird name - jandek? anyway, we get guys like this on the subway, including this one dude who travels with an amp strapped to his back and plays knocking on heaven's door and sings through what looks like a homemade headset. on a subway, there's really no need for amplification, so despite having an interesting voice he never gets any cash because he's unnecessarily annoying.

that Darnielle guy is from my home town. he's kind of an asshole! he got pissed at people for drinking beer at his show so I heckled him for being a pretentious whiny bastard and left. As for Jandek, he's been all over the place. His live album is more approachable, but if he's not to your taste, that's fine. It's not a bad thing, like not appreciating Bach is.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
It's just his place to lampoon bands in every subgenre of metal while splicing in bits of disco and hip-hop and Madonna and whatever else. It's entertaining.

I think I might check these guys out, I've been enticed by the inclusion of hip-hop AND Madonna.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: