The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mister Toups' "Mother Topic"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Mister Toups' "Mother Topic" Reply with quote

This topic is dedicated to my amiacable work colleague on TGQ, Mister Toups, and also the Mother (or Earthbound) series of games by Shigesato Itoi.

The dedication is due to him being the only person I know with the energy to annually complete the game.

I completed the first Mother game for the Famicom a few years back, over a lengthy 3 day weekend. It was an exhilerating experience, and I was lucky enough to know people who also completed it, and the game was discussed.

Just recently I have finally completed Mother 2, or Earthbound.... but have no one to discuss it with, and feel strangely empty after finishing it.

So post your Mother/Earthbound/Shigesato Itoi thoughts HERE!

Personally, I enjoyed the SNES game more in the long run, but I preffered the ending to the FC version. I think it has a strong affect on you, which you play first. For starters, the battle system is hella annoying in the first.

What I really want to know is, has anyone read that Mother book he wrote? Apparently it was a short novel based on the first mother game, but I can't find anymore info on it.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shigesato Itoi was a judge on Iron Chef once.

Seeing that was about the nerdiest moment of my life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember what the theme ingreedient was? I'd love to see that!

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Do you remember what the theme ingreedient was?

fuzzy pickles?

i played mother 2 first, then the original years later. i like mother better - maybe because i played the second first? it's more loose; like the designers trust you more. the map you recieve at the beginning of the game is the map you use until the end; it's like a promise the game keeps. it reminds me of the original dragon quest - there's no shopping list of plot points to hit, but the game never loses focus.

i usually can't deal with random battles. but i dealt with them in mother. it's one of the few games (dragon quest is another) where i've felt genuine accomplishment when my characters gained new abilities. it's also one of the few jrps i've played where battles are more than just clicking the same button over and over again.

mother 2 accomplished this as well. it had meaningful statistics, and meaningful choices. that speaks a lot of the designers' trust in the player. tim's review lists even more little details that show how comitted shigesato itoi was to the player's experience.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I thought this would be another topic like this.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be playing Earthbound this summer for the first time ever because Toups is making me. That aside I may ... or may not, play Mother first. What, with PSP emulation and the NES emulator being the best one out there right now. Hell, I can't pass this up.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU LEAVE MY MOTHER OUT OF THIS

Playing through Earthbound this year, what strikes me is how incidental the You Sanctuary locations are to the plot. Whatever the situation is in the given town you are in, it tends to be unrelated (or tangentally related at best) to the sanctuary location. It's possible to skip Lilliput Steps after rescuing Paula; alternatively you can do it even before rescuing her. Whether or not the current conflict is resolved has nothing to do with the Your Sanctuary Location, in that case. In other areas, their are more connections but they are still tenuous and arbitrary.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have never played Earthbound? Add my name to the list of people forcing you to.

Though I would say avoid playing Mother (or Earthbound Zero) on a handheld. The random battles can get annoying, and you will really want to be sitting in a comfy chair in front of the TV. DC emulation is the way to go I think.

As for which is better. They are so different, its tough.

I prefer the play mechanics of Mother 2, the battle system, the way things develop, etc.

But I preferred the narrative to Mother 1.

What I find a fascinating point to debate, is the nature of Magicant. In the NES version, you are introduced to it quite early, and it plays a big role. The SNES version took FOREVER to reach it. The narrative moved me more in the NES version. Damn, the ending was amazing there, more so than the SNES version.

I dunno, how important do you feel the role of Magicant is to the games?

Does anyone have info on Mother 3? In TIm's Mother 2 review, he mentions how Shigesato was actually toying with the idea of having a limited SNES release for it.... Is this true, or just Tim being Tim?

EDIT:
I only just noticed your post, welcome to the thread dedicated to you!

I actually preffered the method of collecting the tunes in the NES version.

The tunes as a whole do something special and finish the game, whereas in the SNES they just take you to magicant.

There are some fundamental differences regarding these things, that really affects how the game works.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never played any of this stuff.

wanna fight?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
I dunno, how important do you feel the role of Magicant is to the games?

i think i feel like the mother 2 magicant is just a holdover from the original, TRUE magicant.

i mean. magicant is a TOWN in the first game. you come BACK to it. once i was strong enough to capture the stone hook from that fish, i warped back whenever i was in peril. it became my base camp.

it happens to be dreamlike, beautiful and sublime all at the same time. that lilting melody. that castle of gleaming, perfectly reflecting glass. that field of holes, and the secrets it hides. that FORGOTTEN MAN.

when magicant vanishes you know there is only one place left to go to.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. What amazes me about Mother and Mother 2 is how different they are, even though they use the same basic parts, right down to music and sprites. And yet they are totally different experiences.

I still haven't finished the first Mother. I want to, I just... I don't know. I guess it's maybe a little too loose for me, towards the end. I start to get overwhelmed. Despite that, I do like the singular world map... And the way the music just changes as you go to a different area. There's a greater feeling of discovery in the original. Maybe I just suffer from emulator fatigue when I play it. I sure as hell can't play Earthbound on an emulator. I still play it on my old SNES. I should give this Dreamcast emulation stuff a shot. But first I need a non-broken Dreamcast.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less Itoi. More about Mrs. Toups.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i've never played any of this stuff.

wanna fight?

Sure, but rule no.1, "no beard pulling". It took me 12 months to grow this thing, and I'll be damned if Im going to lose it now.

Back to the mother discussion...

I hope you weren't emulating it on a PC, it totally destroys the experience.

DC emulation of the NES is as close to a real NES as you will get, and I prefer it to Xbox emulation. I completed the game whilst lying in bed and wearing pyjamas over the weekend. You need to be in a relaxed setting. Seriously, the ending is very sad.

Major spoiler:
You basically end up waking your grandmother from the dream she exists in, using the music you've acquied, thereby actualy killing her and destroying the whole of Magicant, including the lost man, the birdmen, and the guitar player in the forest. It all literally dissapears, and the game ends up with you alone in the desert, all by yourself, with haunting music.

The biggest problem with the original, which stops it from being flawless, I think is the awful random battles. I thought I would go mad. Thankfully the DC supports quick saving. I don't know how Japanese gamers put up with it years ago. Apart from spending 6 months levelling up.

Also. does anyone notice how the graphics in the Famicom version have aged incredibly well? Perhaps better than most other NES/Famicom games. The cool minty green of the grass, and large sections of flat coloured sprites I think give a timeless, almost cell-shaded look. They really did do more with less in the original.

Oh, and while I'm rambling, was it just me, or was the alternative dark world in Earthbound heavily influnced by the ZX Spectrum and its graphical abilities? The spectrum could only display 8 different colours, against a mostly black background, much like this dark world. Plus there are other little touches. If you've played a spectrum, you'd know what I mean. Anyone agree?

Last edited by Szczepaniak on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying I'm fat?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Im saying you have a cheeky happy chappy grin on your face. Smile

Seriously, I mean no disrespect.

If I offended you, in this dedication topic, then I apologise and will remove my previous comment which I made in jest.

I blame shaper tbh, he said I was getting too serious. To combat this Ive taken to spiking my cornflakes with gin in order to lighten my sensibilities. Clearly its no working. Wink
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit man I'm only playing around. Don't take me so seriously.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right. So we're cool? Great!
In which case you remind of John Goodman. Except with bigger sideburns. Razz

I gotta find me some screenshots of Moonside in Earthbound....
I think there may be a spectrum conspiracy going on here....

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fought 4 very confused bats that liked to talk about the situation. I only took 8 points of damage but it took a while. This cemetary is confusing and I am running low on health. Gang Zombie ... oh shit.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cemetary can be difficult. look for a mausoleum.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the cemetary can be difficult. look for a mausoleum.

Hopefully I can stay alive this time ... I will do that.

There are alot of people from Podunk who have died.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an old town.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this auto function. I am fighting 3 confused bats right now. While I am typing!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one joins the haloed fold. Twisted Evil

So then, cemetry? I take it you're playing the NES version? I can't recall a cemerty in the SNES version....

Either way, persevere with the battles. Once you hit the zoo, and start wandering through it, a great sense of.... awe, should hit you. At least it did for me. The whole zoo thing creeped me out.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of creepy places in the first mother. i think the zoo is where you first get the sense of...the hugeness of the world. is the famicom game actually larger than the sfc one, or does it just feel that way because it doesn't shepherd you through one tiny segment of it at a time?

regardless, the animals in the zoo are quite cute. especially the penguins.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got up to the gate of the zoo, the thing is, well...

Ok, these random encounters are so incredibly random. There are times where I will have taken one step and hit another random encounter, and then there are others (not in city limits) where I can walk for over a min with out hitting an encounter. Well this was a gigantic pain in the ass trying to [spoiler:highlightbelow]

leave the cemetery with Pippi. I should have counted them, but from picking her up to getting to the cemetery gates she only survived about 15 battles. I could literally walk no further than Nes's height before hitting a random battle over and over and over. And over. So then I spent quite a long time trying to figure out how to raise her from the dead (the combat screen says fainted, but the doctor can't see her and she has a halo). Close to 90 min I wandered around trying to bring her back. I mean, can this be done? If not, cool, I will just move on with the game, but I don't want to have her severely crippled in levels if it is just something simple I missed.

Also, I have a few PSI powers that I can view in my status menu but can't use. What the hell?

Last edited by Shapermc on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see no one knows? Well, perhaps I should look at a FAQ.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i recal, there is no easy way to revive someone. I think you need to go to a hospital. NOT a doctor. I think. Talk to the nurse, see what happens.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, sorry. she's not a permanent ally - just bring her back to town.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
oh, sorry. she's not a permanent ally - just bring her back to town.

This is so vauge. I have brought this dead girl all over town. AND even to her mother. I still have her attached. Also . . . how the hell do you get this monkey to move?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring her to the mayor. all will be revealed.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
bring her to the mayor. all will be revealed.

I did ;_; all he said was "Ahh our hero has returned alone." Or something like that. I am so lost in this game. I am at level 12 and can kick an elephants ass though.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes. maybe you should look at a faq, it's been a while since i played. there's one by megura, god of faqs.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I beat Starman Jr. . . after he took off 81hp to kill me in a blast of some kind. Now I am searching for someone who is missing their tail, and trying to get the cerfew lifted. What the hell? I mean, the guys at the top bridge said the cerfew is lifted, but... Ughh I also have all these PSI powers that I can see in STATE but can't use in the game. I don't get this. This game has so few hints and the people barely help you out. I don't know about this. I don't like using FAQs and I have had to do it once already.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

Im sorry man, try and stick with it, its worth it in the end.

I'd hate to see you give up so quickly.

Earthbound is easier to get through if the puzzles here are too tricky. Don't give up on the series just yet.

Where is Mister Toups when you need him?!

If push comes to shove, theres nothing wrong with using a FAQ.....
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, in the US the game was packaged with the Strategy Guide. They are sort of expecting you to cheat.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the famicom version; the us version was never released.

i never found the game to be that frustrating. maybe you're not exploring thoroughly enough. though if you find the random battles annoying, that could dissuade you from exploration. the world is huge, too, as has been previously mentioned.

but i never played a single sitting of the game without finding something that made it worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. I thought Shaper was playing the copy of Earthbound that Toups let him borrow. Guess that's what I get for not reading the first page of the thread!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I don't remember how to solve any of the puzzles in Mother. I guess that's the problem with it. The overall scope of the game is great but it's kind of lacking individual moments. It's a lot more... atmosphere (what a weird word to use for this series) than actual substance. But that reveals the difference in focus between the two games.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least stick with it to Magicant, and the cat that surfs on a cloud. And the birdmen.

If you get there and don't like it, by all means play Earthbound. Then maybe go back to Mother.

The Western version, Earthbound Zero, was also going to have a guide book with it, as revealed by the lead translator in an interview with thelostlevels website...

Don't be afraid to use a guide for sticking points.

Damn, I wish myself and toups could be there while you play, flogging you mercilesly if you try and stop. That kind of group encrouagement would probably increase the overall ambience of the game. Well, failing the flogging, we could just offer words of encouragement.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
It's a lot more... atmosphere (what a weird word to use for this series) than actual substance. But that reveals the difference in focus between the two games.

The Zoo then leading into the Zoo Administration building... the music from that part. Wow. This game really shows off what the music of the NES can do for atmosphere. I have to say that after getting more into game soundtracks that the most memorable for me are from the NES.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear there are scans of the soundtrack cd in the banner topic.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i hear there are scans of the soundtrack cd in the banner topic.

I saw that. I have the ... uhhh... digital version of that CD and 2 others. It was awesome to know the Pollyana song before playing the game. It made enjoying it easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: