The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SelectButton.net: Discuss!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLightning wrote:
dmauro wrote:
RedLightning wrote:
in the end it's the user database that will ensure that the new forum has life right from the outset.

You're apparently not from IC.

Can you honestly tell me that every regular poster to the IC forums in its various iterations has bothered to re-register when the forums did come back up after the various crashes/hacks they have suffered?

A good portion of the users WILL re-register, yes, but a good number of people will also decide not to bother with it and as a result of that the forums do take on a different flavour altogether. brandon may have hated pre-hack IC and post-hack IC equally, but when it comes down to it they were different places in subtle ways, in part because of the users that never came back.

We're probably not going to be using phpBB anyway, so transferring the user database would be a monsterous task. Also, it's a stupid, stupid waste of time, as no one who actually wants to post on selectbutton is going to say "Oh, man, I have to take 2 minutes to register again, fuck this!" If anyone does, I can't say that I will particularly miss them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A good portion of the users WILL re-register, yes, but a good number of people will also decide not to bother with it and as a result of that the forums do take on a different flavour altogether.

Again stating that trying to recreate the exact atmosphere of icf at this point is stupid and we should focus on setting up this new site with a steady stream of new content.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay just received email confirmation from Brandon. We will be getting the backups. They (as well as the forums) will be up as soon as possible.
showka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Basically transferring thousands of people's registration information (email, username, pass, location, etc etc) to an entirely new entity. It's the sort of thing which could end up being a big problem for brandon.

The password is stored in a hashed format so assuming people had strong passwords or we didn't actively attempt to hack them (i.e. run programs to try and "guess" the more obvious passwords for hours on end, and again that would only work for extremely obvious passwords) we'd have no idea what they are even if we had the SQL data. And the other information could be easily blanked out.

Really this whole "privacy issue" is bullshit on Brandon's part and he's making a mountain out of a molehill because he doesn't want people to be able to easily slide into these new forums, and one way to ensure they don't is to not give us the user account data. Of course at this point if he'd just give us the rest of the data I think I'd be pretty glad and wouldn't bear the guy any ill will. At least I wouldn't feel bad when I read IC in the future.

EDIT - Just saw Toups post. I guess I can safely put Brandon on the good side of my "internet people I've never met who certainly don't know who I am who I have opinions about" list.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, well, in the end if we don't have the database then we don't have the database, and having static archives of the best threads we had is still a good thing too. I'll keep my opinionated ass out of this particular topic of user accounts since it's really not anything in my control anyway. I'm not saying that having the old threads is unimportant, just that having the complete backups available gets the ball rolling a hell of a lot quicker.

EDIT: oops, just saw Toups' post. I guess it's a non-issue now!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make things perfectly clear everyone will still have to register and I will still be installing new forums. There's really no way around this and it is more or less a condition of me getting the backups from brandon. So basically there will be the main forums and then a link which will point to the backups, which everyone will be able to freely browse. Then if anyone wants to resurrect a thread they can start a new post with a link to the thread from the archive. It's a little awkward but I think it will serve its purpose.
showka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's still pretty good. This is a much better outcome than I was expecting.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what of the wiki?
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(give us back the wiki >:| )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiki is part of Insert Credit.

I'm pretty sure you guys could start a SelectButton wiki that no one will use, though!

I nominate that the mod team be called The Soul Sonic Force.
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkes i just noticed that your avatar sort of pops a boner during one of his frames.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh is there anything preventing us from just linking to the ic wiki from selectbutton?

it's been reopened now, right?
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so guys from monday onwards watch out or be b& by me
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the WAR WITH BRANDON, whether we're imagining it or not. Basically, if the wiki was built by forum people (forum people who likely won't be back for IC 2.0), and the forum has been excised, who does it actually belong too? Do we, the people who wrote articles, start up a new wiki connected to the new site? Should we copy our old articles? Do we delete the originals? What do brandon and NFG think, since they own the land and run the wiki respectively? Do they care? Can we just have it?

I mean this is a thing here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about the wiki?
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winker, you must be Afrika Badmin and the mods must be the Soul Modic Force.

Last edited by Joe on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'll add "wiki" to my agenda.

I'd rather just link to the IC wiki because trying to restart that would be both retarded and pointless. At the same time there's no good reason to move it to this site, so... yeah.

I don't think Brandon would mind us linking to it but I'll be sure to ask him.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game recommendation pages were sometimes helpful, though pretty sparse.
crispus attucks jr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I thought the wiki kind of blew.

Like, it was supposed to be "The IC Wiki" but (for example) on the Nobuo Uematsu page someone called him "the John Williams of videogame music. People like him for some reason." Or something along those lines anyway. And then someone was like "Hey no I don't think so" and then someone else replaced it with "James Horner of videogame music" which is infinitely worse, and another person was like "Hey no I don't think so."

So uh... if people FROM IC disagree with it then why does stuff like that say in there? I mean, I don't think it has to be like wikipedia where extreme neutrality is enforced, but it's kind of hilarious how the viewpoints of a large community are supposed to be expressed when most of it is hyperbolic shit like that. The game recommendation pages kind of had the same thing.. Like, it will be someone's favorite NES game only it'll be in the "Maybe Worth Checking Out" section and the blurb will be from some jackass who calls it A MILD CURIOSITY AT BEST or something he thinks is really hilarious. "Maybe Worth Checking Out" was taken out though, which was a step in the right direction I think. And those entries are actually pretty good, since they have the name attributed to the commenter. I also liked how the "Addition by Subtraction" page has Twilight Princess listed as the sole "Subtraction by Addition" example. As of October 27th. When the game wasn't out yet. And the entry was by <random ip address>.

So uh basically what I am saying is... I thought the shit was kind of flawed since it was presented like a singular anonymous "IC" source, which doesn't work when nobody at IC actually agrees on anything. Maybe it worked when it was staff restricted or when there were twelve people at insert credit though, who knows!

Also flipping through random entries this it looks like half of the thing was written by Aderack so maybe you should just let him do whatever he wants with it.

Edit: to put it more simply a lot of posters' habits of GRAND STATEMENTS plus anonymity does not particularly work in something like a wiki (where by its nature only one revision can appear on the screen at any time: the last statement essentially becomes "the party line" or what have you (until edited anyway))
showka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just nailed it. I can appreciate why some people enjoyed working on the wiki, though. It allowed them to write articles on specific topics and have them available in a more organized, structured layouts than the forums, but it was just too sparse to really work or be enjoyable yet.

Starting a new wiki would be redundant, but I can appreciate that some would be a little scared of putting any time or effort into the old one at this moment since they may not trust the management. I guess the correct thing to do would be to just take what you wrote and save it, if you're afraid of it being under the old IC domain and getting deleted or something, and then wait to see what happens. If Brandon is giving Toups an archive of the forums I don't see any reason to distrust the guy.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, the wiki mostly sucked and was poorly designed, we should cut it loose.

Individual threads had much better game recommendations anyway.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thing with the wiki is that we never actually got around to setting up the big "wiki drive" to fill it with information, which is something that was constantly alluded to yet never materialized (the last time it came up, I think tim suggested we do it instead of a fourth FKW, which sounded pretty good), nor did we ever have a serious discussion as to what the specific area of focus it would have, as opposed to something general like wikipedia. I think overall people didn't feel comfortable putting in IC style analysis as if it were authoritative, or see the point in just relating history they learned on wikipedia anyway. However, I think there was enough groundwork there to point us in the right direction! Stuff like the mini essays on SOTN, the gratuitous motorcycle stage list, and the IC Recommends sections all hint at where it could have gone. And it could still go there! I want to give it another chance now that we're starting over again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
It's true, the wiki mostly sucked and was poorly designed, we should cut it loose.

I hear DPS has a pretty snazzy wiki. Loaded with all kinds of strategy guide info! Cool beans!!
Malloc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:

Individual threads had much better game recommendations anyway.

Seconded.

Let's just get the forums up and running in a satisfactory manner before we even start to worry about a Wiki. Wikis are presents we give to well-established, smoothy-running communities. Since the latter will never happen with us, once we get well-established we can probably look into it.

I'm also rather impressed with Toups! Good job, Toups! Some good stuff you got done here.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Well, the thing with the wiki is that we never actually got around to setting up the big "wiki drive" to fill it with information, which is something that was constantly alluded to yet never materialized (the last time it came up, I think tim suggested we do it instead of a fourth FKW, which sounded pretty good), nor did we ever have a serious discussion as to what the specific area of focus it would have, as opposed to something general like wikipedia. I think overall people didn't feel comfortable putting in IC style analysis as if it were authoritative, or see the point in just relating history they learned on wikipedia anyway. However, I think there was enough groundwork there to point us in the right direction! Stuff like the mini essays on SOTN, the gratuitous motorcycle stage list, and the IC Recommends sections all hint at where it could have gone. And it could still go there! I want to give it another chance now that we're starting over again.

In that case there's no real need to try to grab them off Brandon, since we may as well be better off starting them afresh anyhow.
inmatarian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what's worth saving from the old forum?

I mean, in a tangible form. It'd probably be cool to keep a few important threads in some viewable archive, but between threads and user profiles, I'm not sure anything is worth migrating to the new board.
Maz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my posts, of course.
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I think overall people didn't feel comfortable putting in IC style analysis as if it were authoritative.

Yeah, that was a big reason why I stayed away from the wiki. However, your post is a fucking excellent summary and makes me excited about what it could become. If we talk more about the parameters and goals of the project, I could see myself becoming very involved.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankerwitson wrote:
Who cares about the wiki?

Jeff Garneau wrote:
wilkes i just noticed that your avatar sort of pops a boner during one of his frames.

that's his knee Embarassed
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth you are an asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
Wilkes, sober update plz.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sober!

I'm going to Blorpfest in a bit!

sorry I made accusation against you last night, HSB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes you forgot the update part.
vision

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
Wilkes you forgot the update part.

please rephrase the question

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sober update on last night's drunken events plz
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also wilkes tell us about sexcitement in nj
extralife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling they are related, internisus.
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh

forgive me, i am only confused as to how anything could have happened to the dear fellow in this bland state.
extralife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he hooked his wii up to a female to female extension cable if you know what I mean
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh gross
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the events are unrelated, yet come full circle into one another.

I hooked up with the lesbian I have been pining after, yes. (made out)

it was much as I expected. I made her curry and rice and we played Wii and then watched "In The Mood For Love"

we were too drunk to make a Mii for her, sadly. we started off with Ol' Grand Dad, moved on to red wine, then back to the whiskey. she slept in my bed too ^______^

the sexcitement is sex with a girl. I don't really want to get into it.

ho's b4 bro'z UIH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes where are your hearts? >: (
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are purple, banno
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
the sexcitement is sex with a girl. I don't really want to get into it.

well, I mean, I do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's it: wilkes won the forum axe. time to back up shop, guys.
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I mean this is a thing here.

no it fucking isn't. just use the current insert credit wiki. I've already mentioned how this isn't a problem in the slightest!

Man, I'm really upset about not being able to ressurect old threads. There were quite a few I still had things to say in.

At least we're getting some archives back....
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(-_- )p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: