The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the future of the IC forums (also alcohol)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the new IC forums should be called
insertpenis.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
winkerchoice.com
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
stfutoups.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
locked (icyclam choice)
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 30

extralife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, you're being way too preachy is the thing. Does faithless really need to come to these forums and read a bunch of "hello, my name is James and I'm going to be teaching you about the dangers of alcohol itt"

No one wants that shit. I mean, I'm pretty sure she knows alcohol can be a bad thing.
JamesE

extralife wrote:
James are you saying faithless looks 45 because I think she looks pretty cute ok

If she keeps this up she won't look cute for long. Premature aging is a motherfucker like that.

JamesE wrote:
It disturbs me a lot when alcohol is somebody's "thing". Perhaps that's why I find it so hard to tolerate you a lot of the time. Booze is something you talk up a lot and it depresses me. I mean, it almost seems like you have a psychological dependency on it. This isn't moralistic abstinence, it's a health issue. Some people cannot handle certain substances. I would not offer someone with a peanut allergy peanuts, and in no way would that constitute an effort to impost "complete and moralistic abstinence". Perhaps you need to enlighten yourself on the biological and medical aspects of the subject before you respond to posts about it.

Well, I feel there's a certain personal decision to be made in deciding how to manage your own body. I mean, the body is not independent of the mind. I feel it is okay to make decisions in which you sacrifice the body for some purpose of the mind.

I mean, what I don't like is taking any kind of drug for the purpose of the body. You see, I think there's a point when it comes to drugs where you can flip sides from abusing the body for the mind, and abusing the mind for the body.

It is important to avoid the latter one.

But I think the former has quite a bit of merit.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little bit problematic when speaking of addiction HSB. That is justifying addiction, by saying that it gives you a mental edge.
The body and the mind really aren't that seperated. They are directly linked. What abuses your body, although it may initially be a boon to the mind, will end up in the minds eventual destruction.
Hypothetically, are you saying that, for example, you would take a pill that makes you smarter for a physical consequence? One should treat their body right man. It's kind enough to house your brain.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post came off the wrong way

what i meant was that we're LOLing at something that sorta isn't funny. maybe it isn't our business to get help or whatever, but we don't have to be the audience in #shroomery [i told you i was hardcore]

Last edited by dongle on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
That's a little bit problematic when speaking of addiction HSB. That is justifying addiction, by saying that it gives you a mental edge.

Well, the point where I consider something "addiction" and no longer acceptable, is the point at which I say you flip to "abusing the mind for the body".

That is, when you're no longer consciously and actively making decisions about the trade-offs, and are allowing your mind to suffer for an addiction you've given your body.

Quote:
The body and the mind really aren't that seperated. They are directly linked. What abuses your body, although it may initially be a boon to the mind, will end up in the minds eventual destruction.

Oh sure. That's why it is a fuzzy line you have to think about carefully. I mean, candy and bacon can be interpreted in the same way as I interpret alcohol. Bacon is not good for you. Everyone knows this. You would probably live a healthier life if you never ate bacon again. However, you do it anyways for a psychological trade-off. It's a very very small trade-off though, which is what makes it more universally acceptable.

What I don't like about abstinance is that it tells someone to not think about it and make decisions for themselves, basically. It's like the mirror-image of an extreme physical addiction, though at least it doesn't kill you, I suppose...

Quote:
Hypothetically, are you saying that, for example, you would take a pill that makes you smarter for a physical consequence?

If the trade-off seemed acceptable and I had some good use for it. I would probably save the pill for a while until I really needed it.

Quote:
One should treat their body right man. It's kind enough to house your brain.

I think of the body more as a tool... personally... of course, it's good to keep your toolbox polished and organized, y'know?

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
James, you're being way too preachy is the thing. Does faithless really need to come to these forums and read a bunch of "hello, my name is James and I'm going to be teaching you about the dangers of alcohol itt"

No one wants that shit. I mean, I'm pretty sure she knows alcohol can be a bad thing.

Well, I certainly feel a lot better being the only guy interacting with her not out for panty shots. Everyone commenting on the drunken Faithless meme without saying "this is a fucked up thing, to be seeing rats and having the DTs" is complicit by their silence, and I already feel bad enough about myself most days as is without having that on my conscience..

Maybe I could get a PSA put in the next Final Fantasy instead?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
OK so I went on the IC Facebook group and I'm pretty sure I found faithless immediately by looking for the least healthy looking member.

Aren't we supposed to want people to stick around? ;_;
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
OK so I went on the IC Facebook group and I'm pretty sure I found faithless immediately by looking for the least healthy looking member.

Cool looking blonde girl donkeypunching Solid Snake while ramming him with an empty beer bottle?

Last edited by Psiga on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want faithless to stick around by not dying

btw i take back the previous post it didn't come across as intended
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I would have post-ninja'ed that edit in time if I hadn't paused for a moment to check out Ulala in the random top banner.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We say all sorts of stuff about how we're emotionally invested in the forums. Doesn't that mean that we're also emotionally invested to various degrees to our forum mates?

I'd feel pretty bad if I LOLd every faithless drunk post until she got into more serious shit. If I get sucked into any sort of addiction or bad habit, I'd hope that someone would kick me in the pants a bit.

Shit we get all up on peoples' cases over being emo, why not for having other destructive habits or world views?
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote we postpone arguing about each other's life decisions until we have somewhere to do it that doesn't look as nice and clean as this place does.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOTE DONGS
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, it's nice to see that the spirit of The Axe is living on for real in this thread.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
Well, the point where I consider something "addiction" and no longer acceptable, is the point at which I say you flip to "abusing the mind for the body".

That is, when you're no longer consciously and actively making decisions about the trade-offs, and are allowing your mind to suffer for an addiction you've given your body.

But with something like alcohol, it's hard to spot the the critical turning point. Especially in the West, where drinking is not only socially acceptable but socially encouraged. When you test yourself for a week, and you are un-able to function as normal without the substance, you're dependant.

Quote:
Oh sure. That's why it is a fuzzy line you have to think about carefully. I mean, candy and bacon can be interpreted in the same way as I interpret alcohol. Bacon is not good for you. Everyone knows this. You would probably live a healthier life if you never ate bacon again. However, you do it anyways for a psychological trade-off. It's a very very small trade-off though, which is what makes it more universally acceptable.

Well, kind of. There are some addictions that are socially acceptable, like sugar or caffeine. These are also bad for you, but you are comparing this to alcohol, which can become a debilitating addiction. It destorys your body so thoroughly that alcoholics become husks of people, dying of failures of their internal organs. In addition, with the whole obesity crisis facing America and other places, sugar is now far more frowned upon, as is caffeine. I hear, "Maybe I shouldn't have that sundae..." all the time, but I never hear, "Maybe I shouldn't drink."

Quote:
What I don't like about abstinance is that it tells someone to not think about it and make decisions for themselves, basically. It's like the mirror-image of an extreme physical addiction, though at least it doesn't kill you, I suppose...

Well no, it doesn't. If you are an addict, you abstain from substance, as James said, for health reasons. One also abstains because they have had previous experience that they have a psychological tendency to dependency, such as Faithless (sorry to use you as an example Faithless). Question: Does it not ring any warning bells in your mind, HSB, when someone says they hallucinate without alcohol, and can't think without it? At that point it's clearly obvious the domination the substance has over your body AND mind.

Quote:
If the trade-off seemed acceptable and I had some good use for it. I would probably save the pill for a while until I really needed it.

Personally, I heartily disagree. One should be able to use their own resources in order to tackle their problems (in this case one's own mind free of inhibition). That's why I try not to drink so much, because then, I'm using a talking aid in order to help me relate to people better, which is weak of me.

Quote:
I think of the body more as a tool... personally... of course, it's good to keep your toolbox polished and organized, y'know?

Different strokes.
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:

That's nonsense. Addiction is the abuse of the biological system in order to maintain some kind of psychological or chemical feedback which the user has become dependent on. You have to keep doing things you feel nice about at the cost of your health. That is what the word means and that's how it's used usefully in the language.

Quote:
Bacon is not good for you. Everyone knows this. You would probably live a healthier life if you never ate bacon again

Bacon is an excellent source of iron, a lean meat when properly prepared (grill that shit good) and tasty to boot.

Quote:

What the hell? To abstain is a choice in itself - to prohibit is to deny choice. In this case some people are encouraging someone to assess a situation and make a choice about it. I'm not prohibiting anything. Some people need to abstain from things for good to stay healthy, it's a fact of life.

Please find out what the right words are for things and use them next time, ok? And don't diss bacon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:

James' reaction was very heartfelt in my eyes. I feel like he just wrote what he felt he should write, not what he thought faithless nees to read. It was more of an inwards oriented thing. It was heartfelt and presented in his own way, which, yeah, might look preachy. But he really surprised me with it. For sho'.

Also... I wonder if your post follows its own logic. Is it being preachy about being preachy? But please ignore that I said that. No offense, okay?

Philosophical update! Dualistic view isn't accurate in this context! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_%28philosophy_of_mind%29#Arguments_against_dualism

The mind is part of the body! (Or: There is only "body".) If there is a part of you that is separated from your body than it is not affected by drugs in any way. This thing would not be your mind though. Soul maybe. But your soul doesn't do a lot of thinking or feeling, does it?

Last edited by AlphaNemesis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
schild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loss of direction itt
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IC way.*

*not applicable to IC 2.0
AlphaNemesis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
The IC way.*

*not applicable to IC 2.0

Or this might actually be "the future of the IC forums" !
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys i haven't had a drink since saturday?

no wait i found a leftover bottle of bhrama abd that tonight

there is red stripe in my fridge guys Sad
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
But with something like alcohol, it's hard to spot the the critical turning point. Especially in the West, where drinking is not only socially acceptable but socially encouraged. When you test yourself for a week, and you are un-able to function as normal without the substance, you're dependant.

True!

Quote:
Well, kind of. There are some addictions that are socially acceptable, like sugar or caffeine. These are also bad for you, but you are comparing this to alcohol, which can become a debilitating addiction. It destorys your body so thoroughly that alcoholics become husks of people, dying of failures of their internal organs. In addition, with the whole obesity crisis facing America and other places, sugar is now far more frowned upon, as is caffeine. I hear, "Maybe I shouldn't have that sundae..." all the time, but I never hear, "Maybe I shouldn't drink."

Also true!

Quote:
Well no, it doesn't. If you are an addict, you abstain from substance, as James said, for health reasons. One also abstains because they have had previous experience that they have a psychological tendency to dependency, such as Faithless (sorry to use you as an example Faithless). Question: Does it not ring any warning bells in your mind, HSB, when someone says they hallucinate without alcohol, and can't think without it? At that point it's clearly obvious the domination the substance has over your body AND mind.

I understand the logic behind abstinance. It doesn't change the fact that I have a very hard time respecting that choice. Perhaps it is better for some people to abstain from things, because they can't manage it? Hmm... I don't know. Maybe... I'm not sure.

I just hate the idea of someone becoming that much of an "addict". It's a bad thing to be, I guess, and there's something defeatist sounding to me about saying that you're going to be an addict forever, so you better never touch it again.

Perhaps the reason I don't like abstinance so much as a concept is because I have friends who abstain from something or another only because they've seen other people have problems with it, and would rather not even try themselves. That bothers me quite a bit.

Quote:
Personally, I heartily disagree. One should be able to use their own resources in order to tackle their problems (in this case one's own mind free of inhibition). That's why I try not to drink so much, because then, I'm using a talking aid in order to help me relate to people better, which is weak of me.

I don't mind dependency. I think utilizing and managing outside resources well is better than relying entirely on yourself, generally speaking!

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys i like red stripe here are some reasons taken from the can

'Big Can'

'More Easy Vibe' (neither of these are removed from context guys the can just proclaims them in big letters isn't that sweet)

'Jamaica Lager Beer'
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlphaNemesis wrote:
Philosophical update! Dualistic view isn't accurate in this context! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_%28philosophy_of_mind%29#Arguments_against_dualism

The mind is part of the body! (Or: There is only "body".) If there is a part of you that is separated from your body than it is not affected by drugs in any way. This thing would not be your mind though. Soul maybe. But your soul doesn't do a lot of thinking or feeling, does it?

My view on the body and mind isn't really Dualistic...

I would say it's closer to a kind of variation on Functionalism, in which you can view different components or facets of the body as having different functional purposes. (Though I disagree with tons about Functionalism!)

I would say "mind" and "body" are like the two top-level nodes in the hierarchy. They both cover the same exact physical space ("the phsyical body"), but they cover very different functional space ("mind" versus "body")!

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Scott Bott do you like Red Stripe?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is okay.

I'm pretty hot on the Bass Ale these days.
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why i like red stipe
wankerwitson wrote:
guys i like red stripe here are some reasons taken from the can

'Big Can'

'More Easy Vibe' (neither of these are removed from context guys the can just proclaims them in big letters isn't that sweet)

'Jamaica Lager Beer'

JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't functionalism. Functionalism attempts to claim that mental states are solely defined by their role in relation to your other thoughts and senses (and can be realized in other types of minds and computers and the like), not that your thumb can be used to operate a d-pad or that incisors are good for cutting while molars are good for grinding.

I bow to your knowledge of replica guitar-based rhythm action, but you need to fact check more before you post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winker, can beer isn't so good.

Though the old High Life and Blue Ribbon are essential components to the rock bar experience, I must say.

This is from the bottle of Bass:

Quote:
Established 1777

Bass

Imported

Pale Ale

Winker, what do you think of Functionalism?
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winker you are becoming an internet somebody now you can quote yourself
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
That isn't functionalism. Functionalism attempts to claim that mental states are solely defined by their role in relation to your other thoughts and senses (and can be realized in other types of minds and computers and the like), not that your thumb can be used to operate a d-pad or that incisors are good for cutting while molars are good for grinding.

Wait, have you even read On The Soul?

I mean, there's a lot of variations on Functionalism, and I would reference those specifically if I meant them, but I meant Functionalism in the traditional sense as laid out by Aristotle in On The Soul.

Well, this is just a namespace collision I guess!

You're talking about Functionalism as it is used in Philosophy of Mind, and I'm talking about it as it is used in Philosophy of Ethics! Though I think that should be obvious given my description of it?

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

becoming?
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winker you are internet somebody when tim says hi to you
not vice versa
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's happened several times

in fact didn't upi see tim's pop waltz thread before the axe got deleted?

that was something
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also guys I've decided to get a 360 in the new year as there is are games i wish to play including

Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Gears Of War
Viva Pinata
Football Manager 2007
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroying winker through alcoholism itt Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys never drink tennants ok tennants makes you piss insesantly

although tennants super is acceptable (only for faithless)
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankerwitson wrote:
Also guys I've decided to get a 360 in the new year as there is are games i wish to play including

Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Gears Of War
Viva Pinata
Football Manager 2007

FM 2007 won't be better IN HD confirm/deny
just buy it for the pc with the updates and patches and shit coming
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
JamesE wrote:

Wait, have you even read On The Soul?

I mean, there's a lot of variations on Functionalism, and I would reference those specifically if I meant them, but I meant Functionalism in the traditional sense as laid out by Aristotle in On The Soul.

Well, this is just a namespace collision I guess!

You're talking about Functionalism as it is used in Philosophy of Mind, and I'm talking about it as it is used in Philosophy of Ethics! Though I think that should be obvious given my description of it?

What does functionalism have to do with medical science, again?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my laptop probably won't be able to run it ok
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankerwitson wrote:
my laptop probably won't be able to run it ok

my computer is 6 years old
it doesn't have pci
it doesn't have a fucking ETHERNET port
and it can run FM
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a demo i can use to find out this ting?
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone is talking about dualism which is a philosophy of mind, I expect that we have entered a context, and all subsequent items will be raised in this context. Of course I'm going to assume you're talking about functionalism as a philosophy of mind. I'm not even sure how functionalism is relevant - all it really implies in this context is that if someone - say a programmer at Boston-based developer Harmonix - decided to program a computer hard enough, that computer could have a comparable mental state to Faithless getting DTs and seeing rats. Then he'd, I don't know, maybe he'd make a cocktail with triple sec. Possibly. Maybe he'd program a computer to feel that way for him.

Last edited by JamesE on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankerwitson wrote:
is there a demo i can use to find out this ting?

I guess this should work, even if it's the "Worldwide Soccer Manager Demo":

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=374
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will download that tomorrow

^.^
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winker pirate fm 06 and see how that works
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no?
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's the most accurate test
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys i will pirate this game for testing purposes

(die sega)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: