The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SelectButton.net: Discuss!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging wrote:
Edit: This forum... My sig totally does not work here.

God, you people should see my new banner for the next place.

sup ging. You know people are threatening to ban you on sight? Don't worry, though! Toups will give you a chance. Like, one chance. Maybe two? Probably one.
Ging

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ. Why?

Edit: To clarify, I thought the hate was dying down on me. I haven't done anything too stupid recently. Trying so very hard here.

Actually, I barely have any idea what's going on here. I went and played FFXII for a day and suddenly the forums have disintegrated.

Last edited by Ging on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging wrote:
Christ. Why?

Because it's a glorious banner!

~dodging the question~
AlphaNemesis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiga wrote:
bossparade = clownboat

hurgh
That's a hilarious visual in my mind. It's true and its mathematical elegance makes it even funnier.

hardtype is the name that I dislike the most out of the ones available.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sup ging.

plus there was that pedo thread.

i'll still be your friend, though.

edit: to be productive, i kinda like one coin and insert cartridge
Ging

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pedo thread? What the fuck? I don't even like Nippon Ichi!

Why you all gotta hate so much?

Edit: This is not the place for this discussion actually.

And man, sometimes I just wanna sleep forever or spend the rest of my life drugged up, but I'll try not to mention it ok.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean weren't you the guy who had a dream about a 14 year old anime character that made you all depressed?

it's cool, though. i liked your banner alright.

also, the character in my avatar wants to sleep forever but at least he's doing something about it.

EDIT please use mmogc as an alternate domain. i'll pay, even.

Last edited by dongle on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to continue recommending that we do the rotating name and decentralized domain thing, but Toups doesn't think that it's a popular option. We'd need one centralized thing to refer to it as, right?

I figured that we shouldn't be limited to picking names that have domains available, since that forces us to get weird. A lot of these suggestions are really, really reaching! If we do the rotating, decentralized route, then we don't have to pick The One True Domain Name. I think that something vanilla like savepoint or ambiguous like [?] which have no .com would suck less than forcing everyone to bend to a single .com.

At this point all we're doing is digging up all the reasons to hate the lone domain that Toups is ultimately going to pick for us anyway.

But yeah, he feels pressured right now because we're itchin' to be postin' somewhere other than here. Ah well. He'll pick something.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to contribute to this, since I don't care, but the rotating name thing is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. It would render the site incapable of bulding any brand identity and confuse new people just so some people can have the name they like. Frankly, I think Toups should've just named the damn thing without asking the community, said "Here it is" and then we would've all gotten on with our lives.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also said that to him. If he's just going to ignore our input and go with his gut anyway, then why isn't this all said and done already?
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to make everyone happy. A noble goal, sure, but not a very obtainable one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging. You are unwelcome. Please do not waste your time and ours by registering for any more forums we post on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be a central name. It just wouldn't be the central domain. We should be able to pick any name, regardless of whether there's a domain available.

Anyway, he's trying to make everyone happy by starting a thread specifically designed to find out why people hate the domains we get to pick from. In hopes of picking the least hated domain, of course! Which doesn't seem to be working very well.

Okay, so becausevideogames is owned by Rud13 (technically), selectbutton is owned by 108, then hardtype is supposedly now owned by somebody on IRC (?). I think that onecoin is forgettable, but whatever.
Ging

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
i mean weren't you the guy who had a dream about a 14 year old anime character that made you all depressed?

it's cool, though. i liked your banner alright.

also, the character in my avatar wants to sleep forever but at least he's doing something about it.

EDIT please use mmogc as an alternate domain. i'll pay, even.

Ok yeah that was fucked up. Not even I understand my what my state of mind was at that time.

I'll just go and drink heavily the next time that happens. I am apparently a near opposite of myself when I get very drunk, or so I'm told, so it should be much more tolerable.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think we should register mmogc.com to the same IP address. It'll be an inside joke that won't detract from the branding and we'll snicker a bit every time we type it in.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiga wrote:
There would be a central name. It just wouldn't be the central domain. We should be able to pick any name, regardless of whether there's a domain available.

Anyway, he's trying to make everyone happy by starting a thread specifically designed to find out why people hate the domains we get to pick from. In hopes of picking the least hated domain, of course! Which doesn't seem to be working very well.

Okay, so becausevideogames is owned by Rud13 (technically), selectbutton is owned by 108, then hardtype is supposedly now owned by somebody on IRC (?). I think that onecoin is forgettable, but whatever.

Psiga, how many internet communities do you know of that have multiple domains like this? Well, successful ones?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Ging. You are unwelcome. Please do not waste your time and ours by registering for any more forums we post on.

I actually like you James. Can't we just be friends?

all of us?
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
I still think we should register mmogc.com to the same IP address. It'll be an inside joke that won't detract from the branding and we'll snicker a bit every time we type it in.

mmogc.com is already taken, mind you. Hence the problem with being limited to available domains.
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiga, the cost of registering and maintaining these domains for all the years this site will hopefully still be around for isn't worth the in-joke. It's cute and it will be pointless and annoying before the first month is out, seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Psiga, how many internet communities do you know of that have multiple domains like this? Well, successful ones?

How many internet communities do you know of that are like this one?

It's alright, though. You might like bossparade.com
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiga wrote:
dongle wrote:

mmogc.com is already taken, mind you. Hence the problem with being limited to available domains.

FUCK oh well. i kind of don't care anymore about the name.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiga wrote:
Joe wrote:

How many internet communities do you know of that are like this one?

It's alright, though. You might like bossparade.com

We aren't that special. We just think we are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Psiga, the cost of registering and maintaining these domains for all the years this site will hopefully still be around for isn't worth the in-joke. It's cute and it will be pointless and annoying before the first month is out, seriously.

Are you thinking that we'd register all of the random crap that people have listed, or thinking of the ones that people have a personal investment in? Again, 108 already has selectbutton and rud13 already has becausevideogames. It would be something that the community members do for themselves.

What we're doing now is more exclusionary than not.

Joe wrote:

If that's true, then we're on even weaker ground. How many revival communities crumble because somebody tries to make a splinter site that is "the same" but different?

But really! Really really! I give up! I'm bickering this for the concept, not for my personal investment. I want to post stotelheim's appreciate thread and then gooo awaaaaaay.
AlphaNemesis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the liberal approach to choosing a name. For that you need concrete goals though. People working in the same direction and argumentation based on logic so that everyone involved can follow. I mean, sure it's hard. You either like a name or you don't. The first reaction is a feeling and that is not something debatable. Still, how do marketing groups work this kind of thing out?

Making this a one man decision is bad in several ways... one being that the interests of the group won't be fairly represented. Another thing is the weight that is put on that one person that has to decide. But yeah, if you need quick decisions instead of a fair one then a leader is a very good idea.

It's just... Toups is contradicting himself a bit. And a mix between being liberal and a dictator is a bad idea in my eyes. Sorry Toups! But I know you think about that stuff as well and you are just interested in doing the right thing(R).
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of you going to stop following the community if you don't like the name? Be honest, here.

It's not that big of a deal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, let's not get too hung up on the name. Whatever happens happens, and we could probably get used to a bad one. Let's not take the arguing thing too far.
stotelheim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what he said.
AlphaNemesis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insert credit
taking the arguing thing too far.

honestly. to some the name is not important, to some it is. to some the black background is not important, to others it is.

Now tell me: Those that do not care about the name. What should they do? Tell everyone else to also not care?

Edit: But yeah, I can see that things aren't of equal importance to everyone. It's not like anyone is saying "HAVE A STRONG OPINION ON THIS SHIT OR YOU AREN'T ALLOWED IN!" It's all relaxed and in good spirit. I for one like to think things through. Maybe I'll even be good at it one day?

Last edited by AlphaNemesis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, why don't we call it the Toups Show? ToupsShow.com? ToupsShow.tv? We can sell merch to pay for bandwidth costs. I'd buy a T-Shirt.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is the "send other suggestions via pm and i'll add them to the list" just an excuse to ignore people, eh?

|:<

Last edited by sawtooth on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
BalbanesBeoulve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh. Revolt against toups.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiga wrote:
I figured that we shouldn't be limited to picking names that have domains available, since that forces us to get weird. A lot of these suggestions are really, really reaching! If we do the rotating, decentralized route, then we don't have to pick The One True Domain Name. I think that something vanilla like savepoint or ambiguous like [?] which have no .com would suck less than forcing everyone to bend to a single .com.

Isn't this... a very smart idea? Toups, what cha sayin'? One real name, which isn't even a domain, for the forums. Several domain names/urls that link to that place. It's a whole new way of humoring the internets.

Edit: And I don't know the technical side of this ... Would that mean that the forums could be set up right now? And all the domains available to us right now could be used? So that we could actually have four different urls right from the start?

(hehe the insert credit banner could actually stay up without us making up a new name. it could be like a pirate internet forum. the banner still says insert credit only that we are broadcasting from a different location(locations!). not that brandon would ever allow that... . . . ?)
extralife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know why people are discounting certain names because they "don't make much sense" or "need to be explained"

So?

Do they really need to make sense? I mean, is hardtype.com really better because some people know it is sort of refering to, like, FFIV or something? One Coin doesn't need to make sense. It sounds kind of cool and ii fits the community, so I like it. The others are lame.

I vote newgamesjournalism.com
kthorjensen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging wrote:
I believe we are best suited as dreamers.

If by that you mean that you are best suited being in a coma and unable to communicate with the outside world, then yes.

"Boss Parade" is a bad name on a number of levels, including 1-4 and every ice level. Is autistickling.com taken?
extralife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I like blueskies.com
BalbanesBeoulve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlphaNemesis wrote:

(hehe the insert credit banner could actually stay up without us making up a new name. it could be like a pirate internet forum. the banner still says insert credit only that we are broadcasting from a different location(locations!). not that brandon would ever allow that... . . . ?)

That's the thing. We could. We don't need Brandon's permission for anything. We could call it insert-credit.com. He really can't do anything about it.

I guess people just want to keep him happy so we can get the board data, but he's being prickish about that now, so fuck him, I say.

Last edited by BalbanesBeoulve on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad none of you are making any decisions about this.

(I kid, I kid.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlphaNemesis wrote:
Edit: And I don't know the technical side of this ... Would that mean that the forums could be set up right now?

The forum could be made available to us as soon as it's uploaded and there is a DNS/IP/root address to connect to.

banes, you remind me of the penny-arcade.com comic about pennyarcade.com.
Psiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I'm glad none of you are making any decisions about this.

(I kid, I kid.)

Toups is!

(Or is he?)
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point i'll go with anything if it means that we can have a more permanent place, sooner.

Not select button or because videogames, though. Sorry Sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys think of walkthroughwalls.com?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about secrettoall.com?
ajutla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

i am on a direct line with toups right now and he says no also
4th Man
4th Man

This is kind of not going anywhere guys. Just PM Toups, like he said.
ajutla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
what do you guys think of walkthroughwalls.com?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that uuddlrlrbass is the new allyourbase, because those domains are available.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like walk through walls at all

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: