The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wii Channel Speculation Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danger dangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Wii Channel Speculation Thread Reply with quote

Relating to when you think already set channels are going to be available and consideration to as-of-yet unannounced Channels.

Just as I was writing the above sentence, I began to consider some sort of streaming music channel for game music remixes. Or even a channel that allows you to do some basic audio manipulation yourself.

I'm also grateful Nintendo put the Weather/News Channel on so I don't have to worry about buying either later. Wish I could say the same for the Opera browser.

Yes?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard a few vague things about a moderated channel for independent game development / distribution. is there any sign of nintendo actually considering this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would probably end up part of the Virtual Console protocol.

The Virtual Console is interesting, yet I'm a little disappointed it's not quite as sophisticated or put together as something like itunes. Not just from an aesthetic standpoint; by their point system and point packages. The whole thing smacks of wasted potential. Maybe they'll clean and shine the thing in some time. Likely not.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a Digipen selection pop up sometime.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narbacular drop wii would be keen.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the part about the Virtual Console that people didn't realize was that it's taking some effort on the part of Nintendo/third parties to get their games working on the Wii. It doesn't sound like drop-in emulation that would enable the whole library to be available at launch (as was speculated), and thus we have twelve games a month (or however many).

Edit: also a puppies and kitties channel would be nice. Wii Kitten War would be awesome.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please have online multiplayer for the VC games?

I would also fully support a kitty channel.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've heard a few vague things about a moderated channel for independent game development / distribution. is there any sign of nintendo actually considering this?

I'm sure Iwata's mentioned something about this. He was talking about how a simple game like Tetris couldn't be released today like they released it on the game boy, since every game has to satisfy our expectations of what a 'full release' is and come with all kinds of bells and whistles and cost $30+. But he said the Virtual Console will eventually provide a platform for people to buck this trend, as developers start releasing new content through it. Whether or not this will be open to indie developers I don't know.
Maz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would never happen, but I'll throw it out anyway.

A mixture of http://www.liveplasma.com/ and mobygames. Basically a big directory of games and their creators that one could sift through using the remote to navigate in a really tactile way. The channel would read your save data and perhaps highlight games in your collection in the navigator as you browse. Build into that descriptors of the games by genre, general thematic outlines, shared traits, etc. As the Virtual Console store fills up you could create links from the games in the directory to the VC store.

The role of all this is to perhaps expand the culture a bit more, bringing the names of the individual staff and development studios to the fore, as well as allowing to people to look at titles in a more sophisticated fashion than an A-Z listing or simplistic genre outlines.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH goodness I would love to see some endorsed homebrew on the Wii, preferably with an open devkit. I felt bad that I had to get um yarr equipment to do homebrew on my DS.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
It doesn't sound like drop-in emulation that would enable the whole library to be available at launch (as was speculated), and thus we have twelve games a month (or however many).

Also, Perrin Kaplin said something "the Virtual console is like a huge meal with lots of delicious courses spread out over many months- if you were given it all at once you'd start to feel sick". It makes good business sense- they can squeeze a lot more money out of their back catalogue that way. Few people would buy Monkey Bomber Chase '93 if Monkey Bomber Chase '94 and Monkey Bomber Chase 3D were available at the same time, so they release Monkey Bomber Chase '93 first and you buy it while you're waiting for the others.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
It doesn't sound like drop-in emulation that would enable the whole library to be available at launch (as was speculated), and thus we have twelve games a month (or however many).

Also, Perrin Kaplin said something "the Virtual console is like a huge meal with lots of delicious courses spread out over many months- if you were given it all at once you'd start to feel sick". It makes good business sense- they can squeeze a lot more money out of their back catalogue that way. Few people would buy Monkey Bomber Chase '93 if Monkey Bomber Chase '94 and Monkey Bomber Chase 3D were available at the same time, so they release Monkey Bomber Chase '93 first and you buy it while you're waiting for the others.

I understand the business side of it, I'm saying it didn't sound technically possible anyway.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Also, Perrin Kaplin said something "the Virtual console is like a huge meal with lots of delicious courses spread out over many months- if you were given it all at once you'd start to feel sick". It makes good business sense- they can squeeze a lot more money out of their back catalogue that way.

That's just silly. That's like saying that iTunes or any other music purchasing store should do that. Now, perhaps if they had had like, you know, a huge selection from the start and then slowly released more really great stuff then they could say stuff like that, but seriously the amount released is a joke at this point, it isn't even all the games they said they would have on launch.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Also, Perrin Kaplin said something "the Virtual console is like a huge meal with lots of delicious courses spread out over many months- if you were given it all at once you'd start to feel sick". It makes good business sense- they can squeeze a lot more money out of their back catalogue that way.

That's just silly. That's like saying that iTunes or any other music purchasing store should do that. Now, perhaps if they had had like, you know, a huge selection from the start and then slowly released more really great stuff then they could say stuff like that, but seriously the amount released is a joke at this point, it isn't even all the games they said they would have on launch.

What are they missing? I never heard launch promises myself, just "end of 06" ones.

Are they still planning on weekly Monday releases?
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They promised TG-16 games at launch (which we just got last week).

Space Harrier 2 and Gunstar Heroes were also supposed to be available.
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm curious what News will consist of. will it be something that you pick and choose for yourself (as in you select the kind of news you want to receive), or are they actually going to be hiring people to sort through wires and pick out stories? or will it be some kind of wire feed? where will they get the news from?

will Nintendo become a political force to be reckoned with?

haha i kid.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hoping you can enter the URL of an RSS feed for the News Channel. I want to point my Wii to CBC so I can check the news each morning on my TV.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

iTunes doesn't do that, but the individual record companies do, since it's their job to market and strategically release their albums and singles, and reissue their back catalogue- not iTunes'. Columbia still haven't released all the Miles Davis material they own, and he's been dead god knows how long.

This is what happens when you've got a company who is so averse to devaluing their back catalogue- I mean, look how long it took Disney to release all their animated films on DVD. A long time and even then some of them only got limited release. Scarcity builds demand, etc.

I don't know if I'd do the same if I ran a company but I can see why they've chosen to do it this way.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Edit: also a puppies and kitties channel would be nice.

Who needs a puppies and kitties channel when you have this?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I hoping you can enter the URL of an RSS feed for the News Channel. I want to point my Wii to CBC so I can check the news each morning on my TV.

Even if they don't, I'm certain that right now, someone somewhere is working on an RSS-to-WiiMail tool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
Edit: also a puppies and kitties channel would be nice.

Who needs a puppies and kitties channel when you have this?

I was thinking more of a ninten-cat channel where we could pet and play with the kitty in three-dee
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
i'm curious what News will consist of. will it be something that you pick and choose for yourself (as in you select the kind of news you want to receive), or are they actually going to be hiring people to sort through wires and pick out stories? or will it be some kind of wire feed? where will they get the news from?

will Nintendo become a political force to be reckoned with?

haha i kid.

man could you imagine if nintendo hired real reporters and did up the thing proper? a hired Nintendo Meterologist for the weather channel. I mean, I know it's not going to happen. Yet.

*Video Game Journalist Joke*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a nintendo-hired meteorologist would have to have one an appropriate meteorologist name. like "ice world".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Games Meteorology Manifesto
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangler dangler wrote:

I... would. Though a contest for student developers would probably be successful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
dangler dangler wrote:

I... would. Though a contest for student developers would probably be successful.

are you... familiar with digipen?
danger dangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they would include news about updates to Virtual Console releases and other games.

I imagine they could integrate the whole thing pretty clean!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. That would be pretty weird though. Mixing biased advertising with supposedly impartial news is never a good idea. I suppose if they stuck 'advertisement' at the top of the Wii-related news they could pull it off.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A channel to play music off an SD card. You can already choose mp3s to play during a slideshow in the photo channel!

I personally dig what the VC is doing. Not as much as I could be, probably, but I like getting excited about possible new games from the past every week. Clearly my expectations for the wii in general are far lower than most people's!
danger dangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
A channel to play music off an SD card. You can already choose mp3s to play during a slideshow in the photo channe!

really? well, that couldn't be more obvious, then!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danger dangler wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
A channel to play music off an SD card. You can already choose mp3s to play during a slideshow in the photo channe!
that couldn't be more obvious, then!

That was my thought as soon as he said it. I would actually pay a few bucks if it had a nice visualizer on it (like imagine 8-bit mario jumping on level bars, or DK throwing barrels that pulsed with music).

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Toshio Iwai makes a VC "game" -- or even a channel -- instead of a seperate Wii title. I think there's probably a lot of potential in the combination of large-capacity SD cards, the Wii Remote and WiiConnect24.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the idea of making a majority of the channels mostly disconnected with videogames. The music off of an SD card idea is great, and I'd love to see a Mario skin, but the main skin would need to be something that's more neutral. I'd prefer that the news channel have an option to include things like videogame news and virtual console announcement, but by default they should assume that people are more interested in things like local news and sports. Even if the channels will end up being used primarily by gamers, people like my mom would be more interested in the system if it didn't act like gamers were priority number one.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we get some quirky "new media" type channels. Things that aren't necessarily games but take advantage of the input to do something new. I'm thinking things like experimental music interfaces and the like.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see The Movies come out on the Wii along with a channel for all of your friends' movies.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
I hope Toshio Iwai makes a VC "game" -- or even a channel -- instead of a seperate Wii title.

at the very least, i want otocky on the virtual console.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: