The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the future of the IC forums (also alcohol)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the new IC forums should be called
insertpenis.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
winkerchoice.com
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
stfutoups.com
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
locked (icyclam choice)
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 30

Sushi d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, I'll continue ghosting at what ever direction you guys would like to go. i am also willing to help out with the reconstruction efforts if need be. i miss watching fools bicker amongst themselves because with all that inanity, a piece of genius always shows itself.

but yeah, it would be best to set up a team of decent writers to keep posting forum happenings and important gaming news that is close to the forum's spirit. you know, like if certain members accomplish something cool and deserve a shout out for it or like special news for certain games we love.

the question is.. who is capable of watching over the forums so obsessively?

i like the 'user submitted articles' thing one of you mentioned. it would be nice.
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all leave this subject alone for a while, go to bed or something. I won't say why, but I suspect it's giving me a headache because of it.

Or maybe it's just me.
Rud13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait no. Please Project One Coin is amazing.

Someone please buy that domain now I will pay pall you the money for it tonight ,I:m at a public computer at the moment.

www.projectonecoin.com

It fits the idea of insert credit forums. It:s an idea of the community as a whole. I wish I had words to express how much I like it.
Rud13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi d wrote:
meh, I'll continue ghosting at what ever direction you guys would like to go. i am also willing to help out with the reconstruction efforts if need be. i miss watching fools bicker amongst themselves because with all that inanity, a piece of genius always shows itself.

but yeah, it would be best to set up a team of decent writers to keep posting forum happenings and important gaming news that is close to the forum's spirit. you know, like if certain members accomplish something cool and deserve a shout out for it or like special news for certain games we love.

the question is.. who is capable of watching over the forums so obsessively?

i like the 'user submitted articles' thing one of you mentioned. it would be nice.

HI!
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the site should be named "A BEAUTIFUL WONDERLAND" because it's actually just our playplace to hang out anyway.

Maybe we should deck it out with a Dragon Quest-style bar motif, complete with 8-bit graphics.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelygames.net
lonelyforums.net
lonelycredit.net
lonelywhatever...
project one coin, a beautiful wonderland, etc

select button sounds really dull. The select button never defines a decision, it usually swap from one option to the other and never clearly state a choice.
extralife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, can someone that's in contact with Brandon ask him to have a front page story on IC explaining that the old forums were relocated, so that any stranglers can find us?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo wrote:
lonelygames.net
lonelyforums.net
lonelycredit.net
lonelywhatever...
project one coin, a beautiful wonderland, etc

select button sounds really dull. The select button never defines a decision, it usually swap from one option to the other and never clearly state a choice.

Somehow it is appropriate!

Anyways, first lonelyforums/projectonecoin/insertcoins/newicforums drama thread itt.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
Also, can someone that's in contact with Brandon ask him to have a front page story on IC explaining that the old forums were relocated, so that any stranglers can find us?

I'd prefer the stranglers left us all alone, personally.
Jeff Garneau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
so that any stranglers can find us?

i should certainly hope so
Kipple

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo wrote:

Sounds about perfect. Considering, you know, Killer 7.
extralife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK YOU PEOPLE I MEANT STRAGGLERS ::CRY::
Sync Swim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happenend to, Leon Trotsky?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

Glad I went through the effort of getting those forums into shape. A gesture of good-will from me! A rare thing to waste.

Eh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the forums should have a frontpage of some kind. What that frontpage would be, I don't know, but a frontpage is an integral part of attracting new blood.

As for a color-scheme, let's avoid white-backgrounds, for the love of god. Black is a good background color, though as far as text-color is concerned I'm not coming up with any great brainstorms. I hate to say it, but IC's color scheme is probably one of the snazziest ones that I have ever seen. Then again, emulating that probably wouldn't suit the prevailing tabula rasa attitude.

I'd be all about preserving at least a couple of threads. I'd hate to think that "the Killer7 line" is dead and gone forever. Also, the old FWK threads might be worth preserving, even if they are technically an IC forums schtick.
beige

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

selectbutton is kind of dull.

ForumAxe.Com 4 Lyfe!

Also, hi, I'm an IC refugee.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry vinny, but 2ps-IC currently has the most IC-official support. ;_;
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sync Swim wrote:
Whatever happenend to, Leon Trotsky?

He got an ice pick, that made his ears burn.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
Sorry vinny, but 2ps-IC currently has the most IC-official support. ;_;

I've never been one to care much about archives, so I guess the crew and I don't see eye-to-eye. Nothing said on the Insert Credit forums is going to change the world, but you guys seem to really like your nostalgia.

That, and the same old-same old still want their mod buttons. Sorry, I'm being a bit mean. I kid, honestly!

Last edited by Joe on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Rud13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh joe we appreciate it a lot! If I was in America I:d totally come to your new years eve party.

The more I think about this the more it could be something really special. I love the idea of setting up articles written by the posters. As to the exact nature on it, I:ll hold off.

Can someone change the poll to reflect the real options? As I see them now its

selectbutton.net
projectonecoin.com
forumaxe.com

Again Project One Coin sounds like the best one to me. It refers to an amazing time for the forums, and implies that we are all working together for something. What that something is, is well for us to decide. Blogs? Reviews? Podcasts? Video game Development? Hi Tim week? FKW?

Where I can see the downfall of a site devoted specificly to a forum, that has more or less been what IC has the past few years. Forum Axe showed that we all enjoy hearing about others lives. Setting up this sort of huge community that is by the community will stablize itself. The probably 100 main regulars of IC forums managed to bounce and talk and find things to talk about no matter what the status of the main page was.

In short, I think we can make this work.
Rud13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Business wrote:
I feel like the forums should have a frontpage of some kind. What that frontpage would be, I don't know, but a frontpage is an integral part of attracting new blood.

As for a color-scheme, let's avoid white-backgrounds, for the love of god. Black is a good background color, though as far as text-color is concerned I'm not coming up with any great brainstorms. I hate to say it, but IC's color scheme is probably one of the snazziest ones that I have ever seen. Then again, emulating that probably wouldn't suit the prevailing tabula rasa attitude.

I'd be all about preserving at least a couple of threads. I'd hate to think that "the Killer7 line" is dead and gone forever. Also, the old FWK threads might be worth preserving, even if they are technically an IC forums schtick.

But everyone here IS the ic forums. And in response to Vinny:s comments as much as I really do enjoy being a moderator, I:m willing to say we do such things as a democratic thing.
beige

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad axeeffect.com is taken.

THE AXE EFFECT is the internationally recognized name for the increased attention AXE-wearing males receive from eager, and attractive, female pursuers

Sorry. I had to put that out there.

Also it better accept larger avatars. Poor Worf isn't the same anymore.

Last edited by beige on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democracy can be dangerous my friend. I'm not so sure about that... I'm not sure what else to do either.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense Joe, but I think the fact that you sorta acted like a jerk to a lot of folks back at the IC is a prime reason why many of us aren't really to jazzed wit your Axe 2. Just saying.

Anyway, I also don't like the Select Button name. Its okay, just a bit limp...

I also vote for ForumAxe.com
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much out of this other than a phpBB. Guess that will do the job, though. Shouldn't get too grandiose with yer plans until you get a base, you know?

As for any malice, Fort90, I've been quite pleasent here, as well as abstaining from the majority of the recent drama, and I am going out of my way to do a service for the community. I'm trying to say I'm sorry, you dig? There's more than one reason that I'm telling people not to call me vinculum gate.

Last edited by Joe on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beige wrote:
Also it better accept larger avatars. Poor Worf isn't the same anymore.

Indeed. Hence why I haven't changed to Hermione.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Hi. I guess the forums got invaded? I rarely ventured out of Real Bout Forum Fury, or whatever the 'games' section was, so I missed everything and just thought we were experiencing technical difficulties.

Anyway. I vote for the front page BEING the forums.

I'm brushing my teeth now, but I'll explain my rationale in a moment. Suffice it to say that I'm against the new version of the old forums from having any unnecessary appendages. But my case will have to wait for like five minutes.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
That, and the same old-same old still want their mod buttons. Sorry, I'm being a bit mean. I kid, honestly!

Yeah... I would be interested to see a different mod team. Because, not to be jerk, I wasn't entirely happy with the team that was at the helm near the end. Needed/needs.... more variety.

The new Axe should be allowed to be the Axe in all its grisly gory, for example.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Joe wrote:

Yeah... I would be interested to see a different mod team. Because, not to be jerk, I wasn't entirely happy with the team that was at the helm near the end. Needed/needs.... more variety.

The new Axe should be allowed to be the Axe in all its grisly gory, for example.

I don't have anything against Toups, mind you. I think he can admin this new forum pretty well. He's one of the more level-headed fellows in this community. I just worry that the usual suspects will return and we'll be back to a few people dominating discussions because everyone else is afraid to get banned.

This is the last I'm going to say on this matter. I'm doing more harm than good. Good luck, Toups!
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, stick with the black with white type. It's pretty! And virtually every forum is white with black type.
John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys fascinating!

perhaps we should stop bitching about the words and aesthetics of a gaming website!

the fact of the matter is that we are all friends. we may not see eye to eye, but god knows we find some semblance of common ground regarding taste.

there are many fine gaming sites! hell! we are squatting upon one of them!

if this fine (forum) community decided to find its own voice and identity, then i see little other than great good to come of it. i often find myself surrounded by brilliant minds (concerning games, lo we all might be measured), but we need a voice.

perhaps our voice no longer shares proper tone and octave with brandon's. not a bad thing, but certainly a different thing.

perhaps it is time for us to find our own way!

sour, oftentimes... but hopeful!

perhaps it is time to become one unto our own! nary a collective, but an identity of conflict and internal rectification! indeed, we be right before deciding unto our own that we may well be wrong!

forthwith in the greatest argument, the greatest debate, may the most forward of truths rise!

about games.

hell guys and gals! i tried.

love you all anyways, though. ;)
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi winker?
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I still suggest we put up an image board too. Imageboard are a world of fun/chaos. Very Happy

Do we need another image board that noone contributes to any more?

Since Forum Axe has been brought up many times I suggest that it is there as a sub-forum only visible to people who are interested in it.
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

Joe wrote:
I don't have anything against Toups, mind you. I think he can admin this new forum pretty well. He's one of the more level-headed fellows in this community. I just worry that the usual suspects will return and we'll be back to a few people dominating discussions because everyone else is afraid to get banned.

No, its a fair concern.

I think one major reason for malaise and disfunction is that.... and this is why I vote for not importing older thread either... is that there was too much "it sure isn't like the good old days" and that train of thought kinda ruined things, and maybe had a hand in the way moderation was handled? I dunno.... I say, just go with fresh everything: look (though keep the black with white type), name, mod team, etc.
John

sorry guys i am kinda drunk.

i guess my identity is not so much shadowed now, eh? :)
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archives are important. there have been plenty of times where i've played an important game that i had previously missed and i've found wonderful discussion about it via the search.

and, well, i just got a wii so i can finally play my copy of killer 7 and um yeah i think i'd get lynched if i started a new topic on that game.
gutomatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda liked select button. It's similar to IC, but not a ripoff.

Anyway, here's a very simple and small banner I just made in fucking MS Paint, as my Photoshop is screwed:

If anyone likes the nes2 style feel free to improve it
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
sorry guys i am kinda drunk.

i guess my identity is not so much shadowed now, eh? :)

DJ? ;_;
Sushi d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rud13 wrote:
FKW?

FKW is one of the high points of the IC community. i really learned to love IC after that. a whole week devoted to the love of one company and the games that have changed us.
you had such folks like chazmaru producing excellent articles filled with such amazing konamisms and persona tormenting us with his newly built metal galleon. HELL, there was even a konami porn thread. A KONAMI PORN THREAD! i believe that shows how much we loved konami, even to the point of obsession.

i will surely miss such amazing cultural moments such as those. especially considering us ludophiles aren't considered as having any culture at all.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that makes the small amount of preparation I did for FKW '07 was all in vain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm an IC refugee, but yeah, I like the IC forums. Besides my buddy Mike, I can't talk about video games with many people, so yeah, IC is great!

Now, would i like to turn IC into a set of articles or something of the sort. Maybe that would work, well assuming that the articles themselves are discussion worthy. So, I guess every article would have to be polarizing of sorts.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I am Intentionally Wrong!

The thing about the Insert Credit Hivemind is that it is big. Not huge, maybe, just--I think the forums are bigger than most people who are involved with them realize.

I mean, I ignored half the threads in the Games forum. I posted like six times in the Development forum when it opened, and then exiled myself until I finished my IC-IF competition submission. I never even went into the Axe, if I could help it. I'd go into the General forum and see people posting I'd never seen before--and they were regulars! They had a higher post count and join date than I did! The culture was completely different.

Obviously, a community cannot survive a shipwreck like this without changing its nature, but I don't think any one person in this community can claim even to understand it in its entirety. (Although I'll add that if anybody's going to be the forum's steward for the time being, Mr. Toups is the best choice, from my perspective.) In which case, I think the best approach for representing the collected interests of the community is just to represent the community itself. You can make an argument that a summarized front page with current goings-on and such is an appropriate way to do that, but why bother? And more importantly, who's going to go to the effort?

I visit two forums. Insert Credit's forum is the larger forum; it's also a lot faster. The conversation moves on if you don't pay close attention. It's also a little bit dumber, just because it's so big; so many personalities and histories are crammed together that flamewars are pretty common. Things like this weekend happen. Whatever.

The other place I visit is called The Seven Deadly Forums. It is a self-contained forum. (Not really--it's the forum from some guy's personal site. But isn't that kind of worse?) The moderators don't do anything to stop flamewars and chaos. If anything, they like to aggravate the problem--right now every post in the Wrath forum is attributed to the same person. Even so, the forum thrives. New posters arrive, and we're still not sure why. Often, we'd just as soon they didn't, so we can enjoy ourselves in peace.

The only reason I linked the site is to show you that being self-contained can work. (And, still, we wouldn't be self-contained. You know places like Gamer's Quarter and LPN and such would have link buttons.) If anything, I think it's the only appropriate move for us.

And I don't give a fuck what color the text is. I can always have my browser override it.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong is so right now that I think about it.

You know, I've actually gotten multiple PMs and e-mails in my time from all kinds of interesting people who read the forums who never even post!

So, you know, the community even extends way beyond the active posters...

Trying to pretend any one of us really understands the forums and making decisions based on that understanding might be a bit foolish...
Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Anyway. I vote for the front page BEING the forums.

I'm also voting for this. There's no need for a separate front page. If the current IC community started out as a forum that adored and respected the front page, but only mildly associated with it, then the new community should follow suit.

I'm also not really fond of this whole "branching off" affair, but that's probably because I'm a rather conformist person/joystick.

That, and chaz probably won't be coming there, meaning that FKW as such is dead in the water.

Sad
extralife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKW will continue to soldier on, come hell or high water.
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
vision wrote:
Something to consider is, uh, not filling the new forum with the old threads, but instead start from scratch*. Fill out the jumping ship metaphor, and give the new place a bit of a sense of ownership instead of a feeling of keeping the memory of IC alive. It's not really a radical idea.

*I've seen this work just fine in the past. Also, it's not difficult to provide an archive of the old data.

Also, is the wiki changing hands, or will that remain at insertcredit.com?

Making two copies of the old forums on the site, one with everything locked and registration permanently closed as the "old forums archive", and then taking a second copy and just deleting all the threads but leaving all the names, accounts, etc. the same would be a good way to do this I think.

It isn't a bad idea.

Pretty much what I'd suggest. The old website was tainted in a lot of ways, and we have a golden chance to transcend that bullshit and get a nice clean page to write on. Keep the archive unlinked, and in a folder only the old crowd know about.

Maybe some stuff like image boards (whatever those things are called in Japan) would be nice, since we have a lot of arty types. A new site could even maybe offer hosting for homebrew software made by forum members, or music/game music remixes by forum members. It would be nice to bring the creative aspect to the fore, perhaps.

I would be willing to submit frontpage news to this site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC already covers the game news, and Gamers Quarter covers the in depth video game articles. Which is why I think non-game related articles by personalities like tollmaster, patsy, and dhex would be awesome. If someone identified with the new forum more than TGQ they could write a gaming article for the new site... it's just that the perspective of the new site would be "articulate people interested in a lot of things, including video games" where's IC's is "people interested in obscure Japanese games" and TGQ's is "people who like intense video game analysis"

Admittedly, that's just my perspective. But it seems like a logical way of distinguishing the three sites without really splitting the community (because people can be registered at TGQ and neo IC while making comments at IC Classic).
Slonie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
I guess that makes the small amount of preparation I did for FKW '07 was all in vain.

extralife wrote:
FKW will continue to soldier on, come hell or high water.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Incidentally I decided on my project for FKW and was just telling people about it when I found out what really happened to the forums. And now I'm here.

Also, to the people wanting an archive of the old threads, I understand that, but we already lost a lot of good stuff once and got over that. Or maybe I never really got over the loss of my beloved MAME thread (the first one) and I'm just dead to the cause of saving any old threads now.

Last edited by Slonie on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I promise to be a good moderator for you all.
extralife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winker fuck you ::rebellion::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: