The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii-mote and Super Monkey Ball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: The Wii-mote and Super Monkey Ball Reply with quote

Currently I'm blessed with 4 Wiimotes and 2 Nunchucks.

Being a fan of the series, I got Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz. I was amazed to see 50 minigames, and that it was free of that 1-player-mode-to-unlock-crap. (So far, the Wii games I've seen seem to be using unlocking rather sparingly, which I hope is a trend... but I also hope that the SD reader might mean I can download a Save game for games that aren't so kind.)

Anyway, Monkey Ball: BB really shows some of the strengths and weaknesses of this controller, or at least of programming for it... some of the games (like scoop the fish, or the trombone one) were well-nigh unplayable...possibly not explained very well in the instructions screen.

Others, like the lunar lander style game, or the one with the submarines, were absolutely lovely.Those use the controller in similar fashions, held upright, with 4 person lunar lander the Wii-mote "becomes" the spaceship, direction wise, and with the submarine game, it "becomes" a regular flight-stick style joystick... brilliant in both cases... this system could make the *perfect* Star Fox...

With this, and having "Wii Sports", and looking at "Wii Play", and knowing WarioWare is coming, and being surprised if someone wasn't thinking about a Mario Party... this is the ultimate minigame system, and Zelda indicates that there don't have to be too many compromises for full length and immersive games either.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't know if I have said this here, but someone ought to make a Wii Virtual On game. It could be wondertastic.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
And I don't know if I have said this here, but someone ought to make a Wii Virtual On game. It could be wondertastic.

Huh. I had that on DC, but don't remember what the controls were beyond the twin sticks...

One problem with the Wii, I'd say, is controller confusion: it's often hard to come up with the control vocabulary, PLUS there seems to be a big lack of standards in how to use the buttons for menu navigation.

Many games use (-) and (+) for backward and forward, but even that's violated, like w/ Excite Truck, which uses the Wiimote like an old NES controller, grip wise, and so uses "1 and 2" on the right side for back and forward.

Frankly, I miss a "start" button... both the button itself, and also the standard "Start Menu", which almost always had an option to "Quit, go to Title Screen"... the "Home" menu has "reset software", but it somehow seems rude to go "outside" of the game's main menus to do that.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, virtual-on... anyway, I'm not sure if the nunchuck would work, because of sensitivity or general grip issues, which makes me hope it's "allowed" to have games where one person uses 2 wii-motes.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wii-mote and Super Monkey Ball Reply with quote

Quote:
(So far, the Wii games I've seen seem to be using unlocking rather sparingly, which I hope is a trend... but I also hope that the SD reader might mean I can download a Save game for games that aren't so kind.).

you know, I hadn't even thought of that yet.

seriously, that's wonderful, especially for unlocking things in modes you don't want to play, or avoiding having to complete some inane task to unlock something special (Sonic Adventure 2, anyone?).
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wii-mote and Super Monkey Ball Reply with quote

B coma wrote:

seriously, that's wonderful, especially for unlocking things in modes you don't want to play, or avoiding having to complete some inane task to unlock something special (Sonic Adventure 2, anyone?).

The thing is, based on the small sample so far, it seems like maybe the design aesthetic mandated by Nintendo has changed, and you see less of those grinds. I always though one player having to hone skills to unlock stuff for multiplayer was a lousy idea...
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wii-mote and Super Monkey Ball Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
B coma wrote:

The thing is, based on the small sample so far, it seems like maybe the design aesthetic mandated by Nintendo has changed, and you see less of those grinds. I always though one player having to hone skills to unlock stuff for multiplayer was a lousy idea...

definitely, and I agree with that trend (if it is infact, the trend). but I have a feeling not every game designer is going to the that progressive, yet...

EDIT - and as far as Nintendo is concerned I'm sure the new Smash Bros will be pretty much on par with the unlocking in previous games, so I am going to just wait a week and let the pros unlock the roster for me.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, a Harry Potter of a Full Metal Alchemist wii game would be great.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the multiplayer left something to be desired, I had great fun with the single player. It was so intuitive--and comfortable. Rather than sitting awkwardly with my hands in my lab with the GC controller, I was leaning back in the chair and cradling the Wiimote with my palm (a method I've discovered gives you a lot more latitude in movement).

The only complaint I have with single player so far is that it's not that challenging (save for one level I've played)...but then again, I'm only up to world 4.

This is all on a friend's Wii, btw.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me of how the Boss Battles work? Becuase just thinking about a game like Monkey Ball having bosses sounds pretty lame.

Do you just run into the guy several times? Or did they add some kind of pinball-esque approach? I'd approve if they did latter.

That reminds me, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Monkey Pinball.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Could you tell me of how the Boss Battles work? Becuase just thinking about a game like Monkey Ball having bosses sounds pretty lame.

Do you just run into the guy several times? Or did they add some kind of pinball-esque approach? I'd approve if they did latter.

That reminds me, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Monkey Pinball.

It depends on the boss. I've only made it through 3 or 4 of them, but it seems like you usually just have to hit a weak point that's slightly out-of-the way. It's similar to the rest of the game, but the camera stays focused on the boss the whole time. The battles are a nice change of pace that don't differ too much from the regular game.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
it seems like you usually just have to hit a weak point that's slightly out-of-the way
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah. The bosses are lame. Waste of time that could be spent on more challenging levels. The 'hit-boxes' also suck. I missed the DEATH BUTTON by a mile a few times and it still registered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: