The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am ridiculously excited about the Wii
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: I am ridiculously excited about the Wii Reply with quote

I check gonintendo.com whenever I get a chance, which is often.

Apparently P Diddy phoned up Nintendo HQ to see if he'd be able to get his hands on a Wii come the launch. P Diddy. You can't fake that funk!
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hell with Diddy, I'm concerned if I'M going to get my hands on one at launch!

I'll feel pretty silly about having Red Steel paid off and in my hands on the 15th if I don't come up with a system on the 19th. That's the sort of shit that sets a man to crying and rocking back and forth in his basement, clutching his worthless game to his chest as a badge of shame.

But yeah, I'm totally excited to get my hands on one. Red Steel, for me, is the killer app to have, but I know that by the end of the year I will own both Trauma Center and Metal Slug Anthology. Metal Slug, by the way, is a strange paradox for me. On the one hand, I've got every game in the series that counts running nicely on my computer, and most of them can be found for the Neo MVS for fairly reasonable prices. It's not a terribly important purchase.
But.
There's something about the idea of this game--with every important installment in the series (and even ones like 4 and 5) on one disc, that I don't have to import, on a console that (I hope!) should have the horsepower to deliver a reasonably forgiveable fascimile of the arcade experiences--that sends me into a complete whirlwind of excitement, Tasmanian freaking Devil-style.
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capitalism sure does get nasty from time to time.

Gamestop.com wrote:
Buy your standard Wii bundle from us, 'cause nobody else but a disreputable Ebayer has the stones to gouge you for $450 above and beyond MSRP!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am too even though the games I am most looking forward to don't come out until next year (DQ:Swords, Mario Galaxy, and SD Gundam).

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite myself, I'm excited too. I know, I bitched about it a while back, but after talking to a bunch of people, it sounds like I might actually be able to get one before the holidays. I will still avoid the dumbass Gamestop bundles though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it is the done thing to be too cool for school about these sort of things and pretend you're only interested in the arcade compilations that are going to be on it, or some obscure thing that will only come out in Japan and will require a $250 peripheral to play, but in fact the games I am looking forward to the most are:

1: ZELDA
2: WII SPORTS
3: MARIO
4: WARIO

I'm also looking forward to being able to play SMB3, Mario World etc. on the TV. This was possible before, of course, but never under such ideal circumstances. I'm going to sell my 64 and all the games soon, because I obviously won't need them, but I don't know when Starfox 64 will be coming out on the Virtual Console. It's like when your oldest friend goes to travel the world and you don't know when he'll be coming back. It's going to be a tearful farewell!

I'm also quite perturbed by how the only controller that will play Gamecube games is the Gamecube controller. This means if I want to play a 4-player Gamecube game, I'll need four Gamecube controllers stinking up the place in addition to all the Wii controllers. Also, the Gamecube controllers play all the games the 'classic' controllers do, too, so you may as well get 4 gamecube controllers and no classic controllers at all. The problem with this is the classic controllers look pretty and cool, and I want to buy the classic controllers.

I think I'm going to get one Gamecube controller and just not play any multiplayer Gamecube games. It means saying goodbye to Pacman VS. and Warioware, but I don't suppose they'll be missed all that much. Decisions, decisions!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Virtual console line-up is looking better and better by the minute...

"IGN has received an updated list of Virtual Console games from the ESRB. Here are the ones we learned of last night…

* Duck Hunt (E for Everyone)
* Hogan’s Alley (E for Everyone)
* Kid Icarus (E for Everyone)
* Kirby’s Adventure (E for Everyone)
* Pilot Wings (E for Everyone)
* Pro Wrestling (E for Everyone)
* Punch-Out (E for Everyone)
* Wild Gunman (E for Everyone)

Now here are the ones that were just announced today…

* Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Kirby’s Super Star (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
* Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
* Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Kirby’s Dream Land 3 (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
* Excitebike (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Ice Climber (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Dr. Mario (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Mario Brothers (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Ice Hockey (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Soccer (NES; rated E for Everyone)"

My beloved Starfox 64 is there, so I'm happy. Also: Punch Out. It'll be interesting to see how stuff like Duck Hunt works, too, since apparently the Wii controller can't replicate the accuracy of a light gun. Or can it?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of games I like on that list!

My skepticism is already pretty much gone if they're announcing that many rad games before the launch even.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to lie, when I get my Wii (probably sometime in December) I'm not going to buy any games along with it because I want to enjoy Wii Sports without having to worry about not playing the other games. I'll probably get the Metal Slug compilation on PS2 unless the Wii one has really, really cool extra stuff I have to have, and I'll get Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Sonic, and maybe even Far Cry once I get bored with Wii Sports.

I can't wait for Star Fox 64 and Mario RPG on Virtual Console. Mario RPG's so expensive on SNES... the local mom and pop used game store sells it for no less than $40, and when they do have a copy it usually gets sold fast.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirby super star + ice hockey = win. (i have both of those games, of course. which is why the virtual console isn't all that exciting for me. but still!)

i'm not planning on picking up a wii until a while after launch if at all. i'm sure it'll be a while before we see games that actually use the controller well. i'd totally play wii sports given the opportunity, though. luckily, my mother's trying to get one. she has a much bigger and better-suited-for-standing-in-front-of-and-pretending-to-play-tennis television than i, too. trying to get a wii is sort of a joke, though, judging from what she tells me.

dragon quest swords looks all kinds of swell.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played or owned all the games I'm looking forward to on Virtual Console, in some form or another. What excites me mainly is the thought of having them all in one convenient, compact and reliable unit that I can play on the TV. It's difficult getting other people into Balloon Fight or Donkey Kong Jr Math when you have to go into my house in Animal Crossing to get to it, or sit around the PC, or (god forbid) actually get the NES out of the cupboard, plug it in, blow into the cartridge and hope for the best. Thumbs up for the convenience, thumbs up for me not having to own so many god damn Nintendo consoles. At one point I owned all of them : (

I'm intrigued to know what NEO-GEO games are going to come out on it, too.

I'm looking forward to Starfox 64 very much because that underwater level really suffers from the low framerate and muddy resolution of the 64, so I wonder if it will be more fun on the virtual console.

Apparently the 'Mii' character designs are meant to be a hark back to the early NES games. If you look at a lot of the first party Nintendo games from that era there's a real stylistic unity across a lot of their games, from Urban Champion to Punchout to Tennis to Balloon Fight. Even the title screens look the same. And there's something cool about how the games are just exactly what they say on the tin- Volleyball, Tennis, Soccer, Pinball. I'm glad they've decided to try and recapture that.

...This is mainly just a stream of consciousness. You see why I felt the need to create this thread.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the Wii bundle more carefully, and... YOW! $700 bucks!

Yeah, I think I'll just show up at Best Buy on launch day or something. Of couse that probably won't work, but oh well.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the miis are nifty in that (apparently) games that need a bunch of different character models (like the sports games) will pull miis randomly from your collection. i think that's pretty swell.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can store your Miis on your controller, so if my sister brings her Wii controller round my house and plays on my Wii, she'll still be playing as herself. Which is amazing!

I'm going to make a couple of Miis who are caricatures of famous people so it will be extra special if you spot them in a game- 'Hey, there's Saddam!'. I need to try and make a King Hippo Mii, too.

I wonder how clever the developers will get in how they use them. For example, I can imagine a Resident Evil game where we see in a brief close-up that Chris Redfield has a keyring in the shape of one of your Miis, or something.
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I just looked at the Wii bundle more carefully, and... YOW! $700 bucks!

Yeah, I think I'll just show up at Best Buy on launch day or something. Of couse that probably won't work, but oh well.

That's just what I'm getting at, though: most retailers are charging $250 for the self-same package. What Gamestop's pushing isn't a bundle, it's the basic system plus controller plus Sports. If it were a real bundle it wouldn't be so damned appalling. The worst part is, what if the market supports shit like that, and every chain tacks on a 180% mark-up? I want one before the new year, but I think it may just have to wait.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very cool article in the Guardian here about the new wave of consoles. It's basically an attack on mainstream videogame culture as a whole. The PS3 takes a lot of flak here because the writer sees it as best representative of the current state of videogames. The Wii gets mentioned simply as a counterpoint to make the PS3 look worse. If he was a bit less pessimistic he might have focused on the Wii and how it heralds a sea change against everything bad about videogames, but you know these curmudgeonly old journalists.

STOP PRESS! From 1up.com

"As this is being written, it’s just after 9:00 am in Tokyo and over 100 people are lined up outside of the Tsutaya music/game/dvd store in the district of Shibuya. No, there’s no celebrity DVD signing or AAA CD release - people lined up to preorder the Nintendo Wii after word leaked that preorders would begin this morning.

Lines are common for major game and console releases in Japan, but not for preorders. “I’ve never seen anything like this,” said our correspondent John Ricciardi, currently in line.

If there’s any indication that Japanese gamers are excited for the Wii, this is it."

2007 is going to be Nintendo's year...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
* Kid Icarus (E for Everyone)
* Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)

Damnit, I was pretty happy that at one point there weren't any games I would buy for the VC.

Also... I just freaking finally tracked down Mario RPG for the SNES at a reasonable price ($20) and then this happens. The worst part is that my wife is barely even into the game and would probably rather play it on the Wii.

Quick, someone post the pricing structure so that I'm not interested anymore!

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is like $5 for SNES games, I think. Or 5 pounds, I can't remember.

I have to admit I never 'got' Kid Icarus. It's hard and seemingly unrewarding to play!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been enjoying the Iwata Asks interviews, there are a whole load more staff interviews tucked away on http://www.zelda.com/universe/game/twilightprincess/.

What's most interesting is how few of the people working on Twilight Princess planned to work in videogames as a career. Also, the staff talk about their influences and artists they like... Beastie Boys, Spike Jonze, James Brown, Sly Stone, and Jimmy Smith have all had a mention. Man, I could be a Nintendo employee.

UPDATE: "Currently, the movie Mind Game, directed by Masaaki Yuasa, is my fave movie. Maybe if there’s another Majora-like project in my future, based on a bizarre world, perhaps I can reopen my creative drawer and revisit Mind Game for fresh insights."

Ok, these guys are awesome.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came from paying off Zelda and Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii! An interesting tidbitis that while I was there, three people called at the Gamestop asking if they could preorder Zelda, and they're no longer taking preorders on it. It's been a while since I've seen a game presell out.

Granted, I don't usually pay attention to sucg things, but it's still kind of surprising.

So Wii launch day is... a week from Sunday?!? WTF? I've planned to queue up outside Target or something, and then call my wife to come by when they open-- it will be my Xmas present, she says. Anybody want to recommend the best place to try and score one on launch day?

(TRANSLATION: Shaper, you and everybody else who queued up to preorder-- you were right, I fucked up.)
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hey, if it makes you feel any better not everyone who queued for preorders got one.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude from Gonintendo.com got sent a Wii and now he is like one of the first people in America to own a Wii.

in other news the dude from gonintendo.com has a really ugly house.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that's it, I'm not reading any more Wii hype. It's getting too much for me. People have started posting their own gameplay videos of Twilight Princess now. It looks
pretty damn special. All I can think about is how much I want to play it, which can't be good for me.

Some of the animation isn't that hot, though. Link looks silly when he runs, and when he fishes he does it all through his one outstretched arm instead of throwing his whole body into it. You half expect the fish to pull him into the water.

I am glad they've dropped the lame cowboy talk that was in the game when they previewed it a year or so ago, though. In the goat-herding section, 'Yee-hah!' used to flash up on the screen every time you got a goat in the shed- now it says 'Goat In!', so that's something.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the pricing was $5 for NES, $8 for SNES/Genny, and $10 for N64 games?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My excitement for the Wii waned for a bit while I was busy having fun on XBLA and while playing Gears of War. But after watching all the "Watch me open a Wii box" videos and seeing more information on Zelda, I'm right back in the fray. I just hope I can get one without a pre-order.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go play one of the demo units at GameStop this last weekend but I got to feeling really bad and ended up having to go to the hospital yesterday... I'll probably be in and out of there for the next couple of weeks, which I will attempt to use in my favor to obtain a Wii.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting really, really pumped for Zelda. I'm excited about the Wii, but really I'm insanely excited for Zelda. Like, I've been humming the Ocarina song over and over in my head for the past few days, looking forward to playing. I hear all of the Zelda complaints and understand where they're all coming from, but Zelda's my favorite game series of all time, and even when they're doing wrong they're doing more right than pretty much anything else.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get even a minute sleep on Sunday.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excite Truck sounds pretty fun.

They seem to be pushing the party game aspect which I like!

Although I saw an absurd ad for Ultimate Alliance which shows people doing acrobatic gestures in a livingroom filled with several dozen people.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I am getting really, really pumped for Zelda.

Yeah, me too. I'm going to be pretty down if I can't manage to secure a Wii, so I'm going to have to really give it my all on Sunday. Fortunately I had the foresight to preorder Zelda (and Metal Slug-- WHA!!!!), because now it looks like Zelda is pretty hard to get. I even managed to pay them both off ahead of time, something I never do.

I might also have to get the Tony Hawk Downhill Racing game-- I get the same vibe off of it that I did with SSX early on with the PS2. But I'm not nearly as excited as I am about Zelda. It's one of the series that both my wife and I go WAAAY back with. She used to play Adventures of Link with her dad when she was a kid, and I used to stay up way too late with the first Zelda. Wind Waker, for all its flaws, has one of our best cooperatively played games ever. I think that knowing Zelda will be a launch title went a long way toward getting her almost as excited about the Wii as I am.

So how early is too early to queue up outside Target/Best Buy/wherever on Sunday? Will I look like an idiot to get there at 5:00am, or is that way too late? This is a question for those of you who have actual queuing experience.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am getting really, really pumped for Zelda. I'm excited about the Wii, but really I'm insanely excited for Zelda. Like, I've been humming the Ocarina song over and over in my head for the past few days, looking forward to playing. I hear all of the Zelda complaints and understand where they're all coming from, but Zelda's my favorite game series of all time, and even when they're doing wrong they're doing more right than pretty much anything else.

The Gametrailers special retrospective on the Zelda series isn't helping me much. I love this kind of thing; I just sat back and watched 'em all in a row.

Ooh, and I just realized part 5 came out! woot!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wii would like to play.

so nintendo's doing everything right while its competitors are doing everything wrong is basically what's going on right now, yes?

my mother asked me to call stores for her while she's at work tomorrow and ask about pre-orders.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so nintendo's doing everything right while its competitors are doing everything wrong is basically what's going on right now, yes?

Sounds like. The retailers I chatted up today were confident that there wouldn't be an issue with supply, so I'm pretty hopeful about scoring one at launch, although not at Gamestop, which will be opening up at midnight-- where I'm sure the masses of the world will be present.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Wind Waker, for all its flaws, has one of our best cooperatively played games ever.

I loved that too. 'It's noon' says Tingle.

Apparently Europe is getting the exact same TVCM campaign as the Japanese, which is brilliant. I used to look at the Japanese Gamecube ads and then look at the British ones and just think... 'why?'

Here's something that perturbs me slightly: http://spong.com/feature/10109456 It's an interview with the head of In2Games, who are developing Fusion. Fusion is basically what I thought the Wiimote was going to be- a full 3D motion control device. It's being developed for use with PS3 and X360.

If Sony or Microsoft have any sense they'll get behind this 100%, make it affordable, start having it packed in with their consoles and get every developer they can to make their games support it as standard. This would leave the Wii in the unenviable position of having not only inferior graphics and processing power, but inferior motion control too.

It won't be out for another year so hopefully Wii mania will be in full effect by then, but it's still a bit of a kick in the pants for Nintendo. I think Fusion sounds great if it really does what it claims to do, but I was hoping Nintendo would get a turn at being the big dog for a change. They deserve it.

300th post w00t.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't they get a turn already?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not since I became a console gamer, though!

It's different now, since the console war is now an ideological one. I want brains to win over brawn.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Although I saw an absurd ad for Ultimate Alliance which shows people doing acrobatic gestures in a livingroom filled with several dozen people.

I saw an ad for UA last night that actually made the game look like something I'd want to play if I was into Marvel and all that. It looks like the gestures are used mainly for attacking and stuff, and, if the commercial is to be believed (which I doubt it is, but that's a discussion for another time), it might actually be kind of fun and exciting.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
If Sony or Microsoft have any sense they'll get behind this 100%, make it affordable, start having it packed in with their consoles and get every developer they can to make their games support it as standard. This would leave the Wii in the unenviable position of having not only inferior graphics and processing power, but inferior motion control too.

I have my doubts at this point as to whether Sony (especially) and MS have the creative clout to ever move beyond a standard dualshock form of gaming. We've already seen how Sony completely misunderstands -and refuses to explore- portable and physical gaming (PSP and eyetoy). And MS remains totally focused on keeping its Madden/Halo/DoA audience, while trying to make forays into Japan with upcoming RPGs. Tossing out retro ports on XBLA is one thing, but actively encouraging and supporting fringe gaming is another.

Also, Nintendo's marginalized the physical power of its hardware (both DS and Wii) in an effort to attract creativity. The larger teams and expenses required for PS3/360 games seem to have a limiting effect on that; if Fusion is actually adopted en masse, does it mean anything beyond gyroscopic mouselook in Halo 3 and New Accu-Swing Technologees in Tiger Woods '09?

So basically, I don't think we'll see 100% support from either company. Beating the Wii at its own game isn't within their best interests, unless that console somehow comes to dominate the entire market in the next year (by which I mean installed base, not sales. The DS has been dominating sales for a while now to little effect, really).
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Simplicio said for the mostpart, but I also can't help but be excited by the possibility of Fusion being as precise and affordable as that interview implied it would be. The potential it offers to XLBA devs is particularly scintillating. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but that means I'm proud when someone takes a page from their book, not worried about a dent in sales. Nintendo doesn't sell me games because their hardware's the shiniest, they sell me games because they're innovators, and also because they're Nintendo and I love them irrationally. They're a gaming icon, possibly the last of the breed, and Sony and MS will never have that kind of cool.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about the implications for XBLA development, but do you think there are many indie developers out there that could afford to spend the time to work out the specifics of game design with such a thing while keeping their production under 50 MB or whatever that limit is? I'd be delighted if there were, but I feel like anyone with the means and will to go all analog like that (something that wouldn't have much place in the traditional 2D/spacially limited environment of XBLA games) would certainly be looking at Wii development first.

We'll see!
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So! I just got back from trying again to pick up my copy of Yoshi's Island 2... but that's another story... and had a chance to play Excite Truck on the Wii, just after it was set up by the Nintendo rep!

I was shocked to find that a game I had little or no real interest in could captivate me for as long as it did. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge that I somehow missed out on, but it's set up to use the wiimote turned horizontally, and you move it just like a steering wheel to control your truck. The control was spot-on, the graphics were pleasant, if not innovative, and it was pretty fun, for an off road truck racing game.

The wiimote itself was comfortable and smaller than I had expected, and I had to give my ID to use it. My single problem was that it's not immediately clear how to navigate menus, at least in this game. I had thought I could use the wiimote as a pointer to select menu options, but in the end I just couldn't manage it and I left the menu screen up and returned the wiimote. But I think it's a little over optimistic to expect that I could just intuitively figure out all the controls the first time around.

So yeah, it was a lot of fun. My anticipation-o-meter just went up five or six clicks!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad excitetruck is good. i've heard impressions that it didn't control as well as it should, which would be a shame since it's such a good concept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The physics are a little funny, especially while you're flying through the air after going off a jump, but I did get into that whole 'rocking left and right' while turning in whichever direction. Which, on the Wii, actually does something.

I may not get it early on, but definitely at some point.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, customizable soundtracks! This is good, because the only thing I didn't like about F-Zero X was that the music was balls and you couldn't turn it off, so that's a step in the right direction, anyway.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you kidding? big blue?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he mean GX?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you can just get a Big Blue fix playing Smash Brothers. (I do. Frequently.)

And I'm not sure why less people are excited about Excite Truck than they are. Am I the only one here who thought Excitebike 64 was brilliant? The track design was spectacular, and the racing was satisfyingly difficult.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing games are only fun if they're Ridge Racer 4 or F-Zero.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Neal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any more information at all about that Sadness game for the Wii?
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more info they unveil, the more it sounds like your standard survival horror, except in black and white.
Neal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind a little bit of proof that it's actually a real game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: