The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Kills Lik-Sang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryoburner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Sony Kills Lik-Sang Reply with quote

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

Lik-Sang is closing its doors today, after being sued out of business by Sony for selling Asian PSPs to European customers.

Apparently, Sony imagines this won't harm their image among the numerous gamers who used Lik-Sang. Once again, I am reminded why I never buy Sony products.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sony really is one of the most blundertastic game companies on earth.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sony Kills Lik-Sang Reply with quote

Cryoburner wrote:
Once again, I am reminded why I never buy Sony products.

likewise.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no shit. I posted the following on the 1up.com news post:

This is absurdity of the highest order. That Sony would hide behind the false pretense of "protecting the consumer" is especially insulting. Sony sued Lik-Sang because Lik-Sang was selling products in regions other than those for which they were intended, which upset the draconian sensibilities of a media giant.

This lawsuit has nothing to do with you or me; it has everything to do with Sony wanting to control what gets sold where. For a company that's promising world-wide connectivity, global PS3-to-PSP media streaming, and a console where "there is no such thing as Playstation offline," enforcing an increasingly meaningless region-lock policy is ridiculous.

Is Play-Asia next?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to state the obvious, but this is bad. Real bad. Bad being an understatement.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's entirely possible that they'll open back up when a court finds this case holds no water. I realize Sony has deep pockets and all, but once the PS3 is released in Europe next year(?), I'm hoping Lik-Sang will open back up.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no dice. the suit was filed in the uk for obvious reasons.

not that this will deter piracy, of course, but sony is notorious for never, ever ever learning from its mistakes. (betamax --> umd, etc etc)
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, why you should never listen to me: I don't know anything.

Edit: I should note that I did fail Business Law the first time I took it.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but I highly doubt that Lik-Sang will open back up anytime soon, and if it does it's probably not going to be the same Lik-Sang that we all know and love.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's gonna be the first to print up DEFEND PLAY ASIA shirts with a super scope instead of an AK?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just that the uk has what one might consider, from an american perspective, a uniquely proportioned sense of liability in certain contexts - which is why if you're going to sue a tabloid for saying you're gay, you sue them in the uk.

couched in terms of "safety issues" (which again, from even our debased american perspective in the age of the safety kid, the uk and eu are absurdly obsessed with, especially with things like these where the safety issue is negligible - but the ability to section off and control trade isn't) sony can say "lik sang was putting people in danger AND violating our right to control our physical IP AND enabling counterfeiting AND are not very nice people at all." this is the same company, of course, which thinks that users hacking the OS on the psp apart to install linux on it and run homebrew software is a bad thing. they do not understand how audience participation will create sales no matter what kind of roadblocks you put up, which is why people bother spending lots of time and money importing consoles in the first place to play games in a language they can't actually understand.

if sony were a more intelligent company - that is to say, more interested in long term health rather than trying to save their asses from what may very well be their last tap dance on this stage as a market leader - they would realize that people spend millions trying to create these kind of "user communities" and for every act of piracy - unpreventable piracy, mind you - there lies a possible entrance for a new customer. who cares if a uk user wants to import an american game and play it on a japanese console? outside of power restrictions may cause damage? motherfuckers buy the shit; if they can't be bothered to figure out how to make it work, too fucking bad. refuse to repair out of region consoles even, or more intelligently, charge a small fee for warranty replacement on out of warranty transactions (like import consoles, modding, etc). the piracy will not be stopped through physical preventive measures; the utter lack of respect for the concept of ownership when it comes to digital media is mitigated, however, by the aging of your audience, the perks of packaging and a hack-free gaming experience.

even in our thoroughly whataboutthechildren age, i have a hard time imagining someone successfully suing due to power damage from mismatched voltages, or even a child's death in a freak importation accident. there's still some room for caveat emptor somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
So who's gonna be the first to print up DEFEND PLAY ASIA shirts with a super scope instead of an AK?

Me! For a school project!

I'm making the image, at least. I'll put it up and if you want it on a T-shirt you can print it up on one of those iron-on sheets, I guess.
xvs07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing Sony-made or Sony-related that I might buy again is a used PS3 years down the road, but that isn't going to stop me from playing anything that looks decent, and I'm encouraging everyone else to do the same. Might as well make their allegations a reality if they're going to persist in ignorance.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
sony is notorious for never, ever ever learning from its mistakes. (betamax --> umd, etc etc)

They do have quite a history for creating media formats that become quickly obsolete, and I should know because I was one of the dipshits who bought a minidisc player. Which stopped working after a year. Because it was made by Sony.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidisc caught on pretty big in Japan and Europe from what I understand.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for Japan, but definitely in Europe you only saw commercial minidisc releases in shops for a very short window of time. After that, most people who bought a minidisc player just used it to play their CDs they'd copied onto minidisc, sort of a proto-ipod. So people bought the players, but it never took off as a format, if that makes sense.

I knew a few people with minidisc players when I was at university but it was never Walkman or iPod big.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sony minidisc lasted five years of fairly regular field recordings and recording sets and stuff. the shuffle feature was kinda cool for getting silly sound fx too.

a bridge format.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
not that this will deter piracy, of course, but sony is notorious for never, ever ever learning from its mistakes. (betamax --> umd, etc etc)

The funny thing is that if people were buying from Lik-Sang they obviously weren't pirates. I mean, Sony saw the money somewhere at least if people were actually paying for items, as opposed to people who buy local systems and then just mod them and burn games.

Also, the more I think about it the more I belive that blu-ray will fail.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindisc really made me sad. It had such amazing potential, especially with the NetMD format giving you 3-4 hours of music on a disc. The ATRAC format was superior to MP3 as well, but Sony ruined the whole thing by being total douches and locking the proprietary format down as tight as they could. It didn't help that their OpenMG Jukebox/SonicStage software was absolutely abysmal, either; it was the sort of program that the engineers behind Windows ME look at, shake their heads sadly, and say, "Damn man, that's fucked up."
Sony has a history, though, of technically superior products marred by lousy marketing or by being too proprietary for anyone to bother with. See also: Betamax. Now with these PSP shenanigans, I really wonder how the company has managed to stay afloat for as long as it has. I mean, the Playstation and Walkman can't really account for THAT much, right?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Sony ruined the whole thing by being total douches and locking the proprietary format down as tight as they could.

This sums up a lot of Sony's problems.

dhex wrote:
if sony were a more intelligent company - that is to say, more interested in long term health rather than trying to save their asses from what may very well be their last tap dance on this stage as a market leader - they would realize that people spend millions trying to create these kind of "user communities" and for every act of piracy - unpreventable piracy, mind you - there lies a possible entrance for a new customer. who cares if a uk user wants to import an american game and play it on a japanese console? outside of power restrictions may cause damage? motherfuckers buy the shit; if they can't be bothered to figure out how to make it work, too fucking bad. refuse to repair out of region consoles even, or more intelligently, charge a small fee for warranty replacement on out of warranty transactions (like import consoles, modding, etc). the piracy will not be stopped through physical preventive measures; the utter lack of respect for the concept of ownership when it comes to digital media is mitigated, however, by the aging of your audience, the perks of packaging and a hack-free gaming experience.

I wrote an article about this about a year ago I think.

Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the curious, here is the ruling and here is Sony's response to Lik-Sang:
Quote:
In a statement issued to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has denied any responsibility for the closure of Lik-Sang - accusing the online retailer of "sour grapes".

The statement begins by observing that Sony Computer Entertainment has successfully sued Pacific Game Technology, which uses Lik-Sang as one of its trading names, for infringing intellectual property rights.

"Lik-Sang did not contest this case (i.e. they did not turn up and therefore incurred no legal costs). We have been awarded substantial costs against Lik-Sang which have not been paid," the statement claims.

"We would therefore strongly deny that our actions have had anything to do with this website closing (we assume the legal entity is still trading), and would suggest that this release is sour grapes on behalf of Lik-Sang which is aimed to belittle Sony Computer Entertainment and the British judicial system that found against them."

Earlier today, Lik-Sang announced it was going out of business, citing a series of lawsuits filed by Sony as the reason for the closure. The retailer also alleged that several SCE executives purchased import PSP hardware and software on its website.

Sony responded, "The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes. We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."

showka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Lik-Sang's death cry is totally "sour grapes." It would've been much classier to have been legally bullied to death by a corporate giant and then shut down without telling anyone why so everyone was confused. I also thought it was classy how quasi-intellectual sites JoyStiq and Kotaku accused Lik-Sang of being "angry" or theatrically nashing their teeth for writing a pretty measured press release. It gave me a surreal Dean campgan coverage flash back.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

The thing is, I thought the whole point behind the PSP was for it to be the ultimate do anything device, like a PC, which allows the user to take command in terms of what it can and cannot do. And if they had indeed allowed people to do whatever from the very beginning, instead of using firmware to string people along (I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say that they refuse to buy a new game because they would be forced to upgrade and therefore loose all the cool shit they can do), Sony would have indeed had an "iPod killer". But again, they fucked it up.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to believe the PSP would ever have been an iPod Killer. Not with two hours of battery life.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the day when PSP support is officially dropped by Sony.

Then all the real cool side projects can really get going and be fully enjoyed by late adopters.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SONY
But again, they fucked it up
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Sony is doing one thing right:

"Kawanishi also commented on region free software. This feature, which has been confirmed by various Sony reps in the past, is indeed a reality. "It's often been the case that past game systems would have a region code system, and would not play overseas games," explained Kawanishi. "However, PlayStation 3 game software does not have this region code. In other words, if you can get your hands on overseas software, you can play as is. There are exceptions, however, so SCE does not make guarantees about operation.""

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the PSP is simply a complete failure, plain and simple. It doesn't do anything right. not one of its functions is easy or intuitive enough to be useful, including playing games.

I agree that it should be killed. The homebrew scene on PSP is the only good thing about it, and it will only flourish once all official support is dropped.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the "Defend Play-Asia" shirt is coming along nicely, but instead of a Super Scope I used dual Zappers.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
So the "Defend Play-Asia" shirt

Play-Asia's not going anywhere. They're much more legit than Lik-Sang ever was.

And you know, it's hard to defend Lik-Sang knowing that they didn't even bother to show up in court. How can you defend someone who won't even defend themselves? I mean, I realize that it was probably the better decision financially to not show up, but when a win could have legitimized their business and a loss means going under for good it's pretty weak to choose to lose by default.

-Wes
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I refuse to believe the PSP would ever have been an iPod Killer. Not with two hours of battery life.

My iPod has had two hours of battery life since day one.

And Apple's customer service is almost as bad as Sony's. Almost.
showka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
So the "Defend Play-Asia" shirt

Play-Asia's not going anywhere. They're much more legit than Lik-Sang ever was.

And you know, it's hard to defend Lik-Sang knowing that they didn't even bother to show up in court. How can you defend someone who won't even defend themselves? I mean, I realize that it was probably the better decision financially to not show up, but when a win could have legitimized their business and a loss means going under for good it's pretty weak to choose to lose by default.

-Wes

If Lik-Sang is to be believed it's not like Sony filed one case that Lik-Sang was too retarded to show up for.

Lik-Sang's marketting director Pascal Clarysse wrote:

Fighting multiple lawsuits in different countries at the same time and paying high premiums to expensive lawyers is an overwhelming situation for a small company like Lik Sang. Launching separate court actions with separate claims and different judges is completely unnecessary, except for the fact that it helps reaching one single target: outspend Lik-Sang to death. Pay beyond.

I'm inclined to believe them for two reasons. First, Lik-Sang managed to save itself from death back when Nintendo went at them for selling flash cartridges. They soon came back online, sans flash cartridges. The also survived a brief scuffle with MS over mod chips. Its pretty sad that if you view it this way, Sony has made importing a goddamn identical Asian PSP into Europe as great of an evil as using a flash cart, which I support anyway but can be used to pirate games a hell of a lot easier than an unmodified Asian PSP.

The second reason is overwhelming a smaller company with law suits fits Sony's M.O. I still remember the pain from years ago when they killed Bleem! by bleeding them to death with several pieces of wrongful litigation. Bleem! had worked its ass off to make sure its emulator was legal, and each time Bleem! they were found not guilty, but that didn't matter because Sony kept finding ways to pick at them until by the end they'd lost most of the capital they'd gained through Bleem! sales. SuperWes, this is case where the smaller company died but in the end was able to "legitimize their business" as you put it. And what did they get for it? Jack dick squat. They certainly aren't revered as marytrs. Playstation 2 went on to become the most successful video game system of all time, and anytime Bleems name is brought up all anyone remembers is the flaws in bleems! product that made the emulation less than 100% perfect, never mind that its now several years later, computers are faster and Bleem! is still the best 100% legal emulator since it doesn't use a BIOS. Based on bleems! history, I don't think its worth critizing Lik-Sang for giving up while they still had money instead of fighting more law suits than they could keep up with in a country half way across the world.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony does this a lot, yeah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: