The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Second Playthrough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: The Second Playthrough Reply with quote

I'm playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors 5 these days. Mainly because I got a couple orbs and a cool saddle. So kicking ass is fun but a little quicker. I think I'm playing through on my 4 th character now. These seem to be the only games I do it on.

I tried a second playthrough of RE4, I made good progress and shelved. The same thing with Metal Gear Solid 3. It isn't that I don't want to, it's just something comes out and then I move one.

I think Pokemon could use a second playthrough option NewGame+ with tougher bosses and hidden features that open up over time. That I would keep playing.

Do you play through games multiple times? Or even ones without the multiple playthrough option like FFVII?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last game I played through twice was Zelda: Wind Waker. The first time I played through it was the Japanese version for the strategy guide and the second time was the US version for my own pleasure. I rarely play through longer games more than once. I'd like to, but it's like you said, something new always comes out and makes it easy to get distracted.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deus ex - five or six times now.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PN03 at least 4+ times.
Silent hill 1 - 2 times
Silent Hill 2 - 3.5 times (saved halfway for a different ending once)
Crono Trigger - 2.5 times (never finished it my third time)
Zelda: Links Awakening - 2
Original Zelda - 3 times (the first two took over 10 hours as I was really young)
Panzer Dragoon Orta - 2.5 times (I am stuck halfway through with my third run on the hardest difficulty, but this was a long time ago, so I will probably never make it to three)

I have played through shorter games dozens of times. But there are only a few 10+ hour games that I have played more than once, I am probably missing some on that list though. I have played through far too many fighters and STGs hundreds of times. Games seemed to be designed to have one play through then that is it, you have seen all there is to offer.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, how about that article I wrote about this!

I have such trouble getting through games the first time. For maybe a week, I'll be like, "I should totally play through Grim Fandango again", then suddenly get wracked with guilt that I STILL HAVE NEVER SEEN THE END OF TWINSEN'S ODYSSEY WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME AND OH GOD I'VE STILL GOT A SHENMUE II GAME TO FINISH UP AUGH FUCK THIS ALL I'M JUST GOING TO ROLL UP THE MOON.

Videogames are too damn long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nICO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've beaten Chrono Trigger more times than I care to count. I've made it to the World of Ruin about a dozen times in FFVI, and almost to Kefka a couple more, but I've only actually beaten it once.

I don't really beat games twice much. Recently, I can't think of anything at all. I started a challenge game in R&C: Going Commando, but I never finished it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hours after first finishing Pokemon Ruby, I restarted my game just to get a female Torchic.

I haven't played games properly for about a year now (I've been studying abroad and don't have all my stuff with me), but I guess I end up trying to finish most games twice. First time just to play through normally and "ooh" and "aah" about all the plot twists and hidden things, and then again to go through surgically and collect every last item and secret thing. Like on Wind Waker... for me, the main driving force behind my second game is to complete my model collection. Not that I've played it recently.

Metal Gear Solid was the worst. First time through I got the Otacon ending. Then I played through again to get the Meryl ending. Then I played through again just for the fun of being in a tuxedo. Then there was the ninja suit. Then we started hunting for 'ghost photos'. Etc. Etc.
sky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only games I have ever beat more than once were Tomba Tomba 2, and harvest moon for the playstation 2. How sad is that.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if I had beaten Chrono Trigger more than 10 times now. I kept playing again and again so I could get to level * for Crono, and since I hated leveling up outright, I kept playing through the game again and again, using different characters to see what they would say at each point (I keep either Lucca or Robo on my team for the Lavos battle for their speeches) and to see all the different "special" endings that you get by beating Lavos from the bucket timewarp during different chapters.

I've rarely been able to replay a game since. I would guess that I need some kind of confirmation that I'm making progress, like a New Game + system, in order to play the game again. Phantom Brave I've tried to replay but I always end up just working on making the 'perfect" file with my old save data when I put the game in instead.

On another Nippon Ichi note, Makai Kingdom apparently requires you to play the game over multiple times in order to get everything, and certain plot events can be changed after the first playthrough. Interesting! I've been waiting for a game that shook things up a bit after playing it once, and wait with frothing anticipation for the game where playing through the game again makes an alternate universe, where events happen differently, and things left up to chance turn the opposite way and thus aren't scripted to be the same each playthrough.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
IOn another Nippon Ichi note, Makai Kingdom apparently requires you to play the game over multiple times in order to get everything, and certain plot events can be changed after the first playthrough. Interesting! I've been waiting for a game that shook things up a bit after playing it once, and wait with frothing anticipation for the game where playing through the game again makes an alternate universe, where events happen differently, and things left up to chance turn the opposite way and thus aren't scripted to be the same each playthrough.

I remember when you were upset about the reports on GameFAQs that it was only 20 hours long... this is what you get for listening to GameFAQ kiddies.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another game that did something similar to Mikai Kingdom with new events unfolding in your second playthrough. The name slips my mind. Tollmaster should have the title "nippon ichi PR man".
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Star Ocean have something like 80 different endings? Valkyrie Profile supposedly has several endings as well.

I'm going to make a terrible admission right here... I don't like Valkyrie Profile near as much as I'd like to. It's a great concept that I would really like to see further explored, it's just that the excecution and flow of the game is so terrible that I haven't been able to get much further than a few hours in. They give you no direction at all as to what your immediate goals are and you've got so many different options right from the beginning that it's just too easy to get lost in.

Demon's Crest did the same thing better and didn't even do it all that well.

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only games I can think of off the top of my head that I've started up again right after I beat them were Ico and Wind Waker. I beat Ico again, but I have yet to finish Wind Waker. I don't feel guilty about not playing and beating all my games anymore, because I figure when the time comes and I feel like playing it then it'll be there and I'll play it. You shouldn't have to force yourself to play a game to beat it. Beating it should come naturally from you having so much fun playing it. If a game isn't compelling enough to you to warrant that then forget it and move on, unless prompted otherwise, there's tons more games out there to play.

This is why I don't feel guilty by going back to Halo again and again and still not having completed Dues Ex. I don't care which is objectively "better" or more "complex". I care about which one I have more fun with. Not to say that I don't have fun with Dues Ex, just that it doesn't do it for me in the same way that Halo does and isn't nearly as accessible.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always experience movies and games that I really enjoy at least twice. I find there is so much more one gets the second time through. With games, of course, this can be a lot more difficult, but I tend to like shorter, very poignant games, as opposed to very long quests with lots of gameplay padding, so to speak.

Some titles that I've played through at least twice are:

• Silent Hill 1, 2, 3
• Metroid Zero Mission
• Resident Evil 2 (five times across three systems)
• MGS2
• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
• damn near any Mario game
• Metroid II
• various old Game Boy games

There are still games I want to play through again but haven't. Ico is one of them. I will probably get the re-release of MGS3 and play that again, too. And I haven't completed my GBA Mario collection yet, which kind of counts as a repeat play-through, doesn't it?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
• damn near any Mario game

The only mario game I have not played through at least twice (I am not counting the side ones like Mario Golf) is the exact same one I have never finished (and probably won't): Sunshine.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Second Playthrough Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
I think Pokemon could use a second playthrough option NewGame+ with tougher bosses and hidden features that open up over time. That I would keep playing.

...did you beat Pokemon Silver yet?

Well??
ajutla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really play through games more than once. I mean, I used to. I'm pretty sure I finished Final Fantasy VI ten or more times back when I had more time on my hands and was stupider.

Although I think I may be getting back into this multiple playthrough thing. I finished Katamari Damacy again a couple of days ago as a warmup and I'm on Snake Eater now. I'm not actually playing at a higher difficulty level, and I'm not looking for frogs or weapons I missed the first time around. I'm just playing.

I think that's easiest. I've really never been a completionist. Well, okay, I have been a completionist, back in my bad old Final Fantasy-playing days. Hell if I didn't find, like, everything in FFVI.

I'd never play a game that way nowadays.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Second Playthrough Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
...did you beat Pokemon Silver yet?

Yeah, actually most games post-Silver/Gold have stuff you can do after you beat them. Ruby Sapphire have some sort of battle tower where you can catch Rayquaza, and FireRed/LeafGreen have the islands. They can keep you busy if you're willing to put in the work. After the 70 hours I put into FireRed I really wasn't in the mood to catch all of the island Pokemon. Maybe I'll go back and do that before the next game comes out.

Has anyone beaten Colloseum? I got stuck trying to get through the final set of battles without killing the shadow Pokemon. Not to mention that the battles themselves are just really hard. Apparently that has stuff to do after you beat it too.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
I think that's easiest. I've really never been a completionist..

Exactly! I'm the same way. I have some friends who are obsessive-compulsive gamers; they have to "clear" a game until they put it down. Every hidden item, every secret, etc.

Luckily, I'm not obsessive-compulsive, and just enjoy the games as is. I don't have every item in Katamari, but sometimes I just like to play a level to experience a part of the game one more time. It's about the play itself, and not that mad rush to get 100 per cent.

Like reading a book, I like to finish a game (i.e. see its story to its completion), but all of the things that you mentioned (i.e. frogs in MGS) are useless to me.

Do you find yourself feeling somewhat saner for not losing sleep over things like this?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, whether or not I'll react obsessive-compulsively towards a game depends on how the game is designed. Jak & Daxter makes it extremely obvious where to get every item in the game, keeps a tally of everything and doesn't hide much from you. I was able to 100% that shit before I even finished the game, no problem.

Ratchet & Clank on the other hand requires you to find 40 gold bolts, which is easy. You get a device that lets you see where they're hidden late in the game, anyway. However, getting the gold points doesn't serve a purpose other than to unlock 2 "showrooms" where you can then buy gold versions of your weapons. These gold weapons cost a lot of money. Too much money, even. I can't imagine ever getting enough money to buy all of them, and yet there they are. More importantly, for buying all of them you unlock some other random extra goodies that I would, truth be told, like to check out at least once (a making-of featurette, for example). The time it will take me to buy all of the gold weapons far outweighs the reward, so I'm not going to bother.

So: If a game doesn't force me to do inane bullshit in order to hit 100%, then I'll probably do it. Otherwise, forget it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take extras like that as a personal affront. either give me a game or treat me like a fucking hamster, but you can't have it both ways you goddamn monkey bastards.[/u]
calintz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the JRPG freak, I'd definietly play a JRPG again if: I've missed a single sidequest/item/character, a new games + option or if it had mulitple endings.

Other than the above genre, I'm really not a completist.
Do multiple plays of 2d fighters count? Razz
trooper6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played KotOR twice, and I plan on playing a few of my other RPGs a second time. (Though it'll take a bit of time...I've got a bunch of other games in my queue).

There are mission sort of games where I played each level multiple times in order to achieve higher levels of greatness...like 007: Everything or Nothing, Brute Force and the Hitman games...though I don't know if that counts since I played each mission multiple times but not linerarly through.

But I wanted to say that I have watched friends play through RPG's from beginning to end, and I think that for story driven games, that counts as a second time playing in its own way. I've watched Fable as well as played it. I've watched KotOR and Sith Lords who knows how many times. I'm watching Jade Empire at the moment.

Watching a friend play an RPG ends up giving me a similar experience of playing it myself, but I get to learn more about the game (my friends often make choices I never would), and I learn more about my friends (my friends often make choices I never would!).

I don't think watching someone play a fighter/first-person shooter is equivalent to a second playthrough, but for those games that deemphisize button mashing, it seems that investing energy in a friend's game is analgous to playing through a second time.

What do y'all think?
nICO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. In many situations, watching, or even better, alternating the controller, can be about as good as actually playing it. Last weekend a friend and I played through about 12 hours of Skies of Arcadia alternating the controller every once in a while, and I feel I've experienced the game just as well as if I had been playing.

A couple weeks ago, I played through R&C: Going Commando and then R&C: Up Your Arsenal with someone by alternating the controller every mission or so. I do think the experience wasn't quite the same as if I had played alone for those games, but I had already played all of UYA and much of GC, so it wasn't too bad. Not to mention, it was much more fun to play with somone else around then alone.
disneyland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life 2 gets me every time. I'm completely drawn in after a few minutes of playing. I've completed it three times now. I think a lot of people will be happy (and wondering why the hell they hadn't played it yet) when it's out on Xbox. It is a supremely competent game.

Previously: Shining Force 3, Scenario 1-2-3 repeated. First time all Japanese, second time opening with the English Scenario 1. Grabbed more secret characters the second time around too; had a blast.

- DL
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
Yeah, I agree. In many situations, watching, or even better, alternating the controller, can be about as good as actually playing it.

i have a huge fetish for watching people play games; i watched my parents play when i was little, before i ever played myself (and long before i worked up the courage to attempt castlevania).

my collection of skill play/speed run dvds is growing pretty large.

replaying a jrpg or adventure game is pretty different from replaying a game that is meant to be replayed, like most shooters (i've played rez start to finish six times already since accquiring it). i usually wait a long time before replaying one of the former (at least six months, ideally years), so that i'll have forgotten most of the details.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trooper6 wrote:
I've played KotOR twice, and I plan on playing a few of my other RPGs a second time. (Though it'll take a bit of time...I've got a bunch of other games in my queue).

This is encouraging as I have the game sitting on my table waiting to be played.
IIOIOOIOO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otogi 2. 2 weekends ago. I finished watching the credits, and pressed start to being anew.

Damn if that game isn't soulcrushingly beautiful.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIOIOOIOO wrote:
Otogi 2

It's a bit like the movie Hero. All art and no soul.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some might call it minimalism. The fight on the river is wonderful. I wish the "Destruction Rating" did not exist.

I will stand witness to the strength of your will.
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played through OutRun more than once.

!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: