The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legion of Literacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Legion of Literacy Reply with quote

Some of you people make games, right? Come, join us!

http://legionofliteracy.com/lol/about/
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I learn how to program and do simple art, I'll look it up again! I'll make that idea for a Megas XLR fangame based on Bangaioh into a real project if it kills me.

In all seriousness, I thought something like that site was long overdue.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's the game development forum from IC only with it's own registration system?

Also a perpetual license for use seems a bit steep.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I'll make that idea for a Megas XLR fangame based on Bangaioh into a real project if it kills me.

If you made this I would love you forever.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... I kind of want to join this, because I want to team up with one or two people to build a game. But I also don't see any reason why this site will work any better than just teaming up with smart people I already know. In fact, I can see a lot of reasons why it wouldn't.

So, you know, convince me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xvs07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I... I kind of want to join this, because I want to team up with one or two people to build a game. But I also don't see any reason why this site will work any better than just teaming up with smart people I already know. In fact, I can see a lot of reasons why it wouldn't.

It's hard to convince you when I don't know your arguments, but I'll give it a go.

In a nutshell, it might *not* work as well for you specifically because you already know people. You're something of a social nexus compared to, say, me. Which is precisely why you ought to take an active role in getting this ball rolling. By donating your social capital, as it were, the community can grow, giving lots of folks who don't have connections a place to form them. Besides, maybe you know some smart people, but you don't know *all* of the smart people. I was a pretty lonely gamer 'til I found TGQ, and there are other folks who're in the same boat regarding dev. Isolation inhibits productivity greatly. Also, when your team tanks and loses momentum, it's useful to have a big group of teams doing similar stuff there to pat you on the back, kick you in the ass, maybe even produce a replacement for somebody who jumped ship, and get your project moving again. In short, you should do it for the glory of gaming, in the name of developing independent development.

Maybe the IC dev forums do all that, but I've never heard about them until today, and couldn't find them in a few minutes of googling, versus googling "Legion of Literacy". It's an issue of visibility; to make something like this thrive, it has to be easily word-of-mouthable and findable. It requires many heads, and cannot afford to be exclusive nor obscure.

Therefore, I'm asking ApM, Nana, Tollmaster, and anyone else with even a passing interest (there must be a few of you, to judge by the 120 and counting views this thread's gotten) to go make a post or two, propose an idea or two, and take a hand in getting this sucker off the ground. It isn't much to ask, and it could turn into something wonderful.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of your site will increase immensely as more users join. In the mean time it's going to be tricky getting it to start snowballing.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
Therefore, I'm asking ApM, Nana, Tollmaster, and anyone else with even a passing interest (there must be a few of you, to judge by the 120 and counting views this thread's gotten) to go make a post or two, propose an idea or two, and take a hand in getting this sucker off the ground. It isn't much to ask, and it could turn into something wonderful.

For the record, I have no interest at all in creating games. None. I do enough interaction based programming at work, and the sheer atmosphere of the gaming industry completely turns me off.

Also, I still think a perpetual license for use is too much to ask for if you're just a place for people to gather.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

I want to team up with you! I have an idea that's mostly fleshed out and some programming skill. Lets do it!

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My argument is basically that, limited scope or not, I don't think you can get a game done unless everybody involved has bought in to, understands, and is able to contribute to the game design. Everyone needs to have their own stake in the game. And the way to get that to happen is not to have a thread where a guy says "Hey I want to make a game that plays like this is there a programmer out there who wants to do this with me?" Your designer and your programmer and your artist have to work together to figure out where their talents and interests intersect, commit to some vision, and go from there. If everyone has their own conflicting ideas of what they want to contribute, well, there'd better be one person on your team who is balls-out committed enough to see the project through singlehandedly, because everyone else is going to shrug and walk away without having done something substantial. And if they're that committed, they're probably already doing their own thing.

If you look at, say, open source projects -- which I assume is the model at work, here -- the ones that succeed do so by having a core group of people who do the vast majority of the work. Without that core group, the project dries up and blows away.

If the impetus behind the site was for people to meet other talented people, and give them resources to build a project, then that'd be one thing. But there's no source control, or bug tracking, or art resource management, or anything. There's been no "This is what I can do and here is a portfolio of things I have done to back me up on that claim." There's no game design discussion where you can find out how people approach the topic. There's just a wiki and forums and a carefree anything-goes attitude and what seems to be a misunderstanding of why home-grown volunteer projects fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My argument is basically that, limited scope or not, I don't think you can get a game done unless everybody involved has bought in to, understands, and is able to contribute to the game design. Everyone needs to have their own stake in the game. And the way to get that to happen is not to have a thread where a guy says "Hey I want to make a game that plays like this is there a programmer out there who wants to do this with me?" Your designer and your programmer and your artist have to work together to figure out where their talents and interests intersect, commit to some vision, and go from there. If everyone has their own conflicting ideas of what they want to contribute, well, there'd better be one person on your team who is balls-out committed enough to see the project through singlehandedly, because everyone else is going to shrug and walk away without having done something substantial. And if they're that committed, they're probably already doing their own thing.
This is why I never finish any short films.
Captain Vimes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Views! Very cool!

Okay, I admit, I didn't think to check Gamer's Quarter to see what issues have been brought up Embarassed - the first being the license. Should the site gain limited usage, where we modify and distribute only with the permission of the author, but we can still use it if it has been submitted into any games?

I totally agree about the userbase - if the website is only as good as the parts.

Onto ApM's concerns!

It's true that there has to be a core group that is dedicated to the game - that's what LoL aims to bring together. While I accept the fact that there are going to be a number of users who don't have a serious investment in the ideas being proposed, the aim is to have broad enough of a userbase that a number of people agree that "Yes, this is a game I am passionate about!" The mortality rate is going to be high, however.

There are many people who would work better if they had a social thing - LoL can't compete. There are, however, people with aspirations to gamemaking, but not enough talents to do it.

The second part of the post - source control, bug tracking, etc. I agree (I actually have been part of two projects that have ultimately fallen apart). Here's what I plan to do about it:

Source control, etc, will be handled within the nodes themselves - I'll modify the guidelines to note that project nodes are required to keep track of these things.

Art management, as well as game design discussion and other critical components were planned to be sub-nodes that are 'automatically' set up with the main one (I didn't make this clear enough, my fault – and the software allows for further expansion)

I'll also modify the guidelines for submitting ideas and signing up to emphasize that the thread where the projects are being pitched are intended to act as a discussion of the basic playability and 'worksmanship' of the project that is pitched as well as a sign-up sheet.

I’ll also further emphasize that, if you do sign up, a post detailing how much time you plan to dedicate and how much prior experience you have had with the industry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: