The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Videogaming Life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nothingxs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Mexican Videogaming Life Reply with quote

When class is over, I'm going to sit down and crank out my Mexican Videogaming Life article.

Seriously.

Who would offer to edit for me? Or something.

I will be starting off with stories about the time back when the NES was king and the old Neogeo games were rocking the arcades, along with SF2.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could send it to Shaper, or me, and we'd look it over. Have you talked to him about letting you on the staff? If you were staff you could just post it for peer review in the staff forum. That'd be the ideal solution.

Or were you just thinking about being a contributor or something? I wonder if we even differentiate between staff and contributor. Oh my, so many shades of grey! Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing your piece.
Giampi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no fair, I'm the one who called dibs on being the weird Latin American contributor.

Seriously though, sounds cool. I'd like to read it for comparison purposes.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I just want to remind you, that I will still be using the info you submited here on Mexico:

http://forums.insertcredit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2925&highlight=

If thats ok?
I'd also love a personal quote from you. (your full name would be needed of course)

Theres something of a queue forming with regards to my Retro Gamer articles on global gaming, but Mexico is still something I definetly plan to cover at a later date.

Though if you are writing something for TGQ, I would want to be stepping any toes by writing a similar article, especially if I am using you as a reference.

Though Im sure I could make it different enough.

Erm... Im not sure how you want to proceed. Gimme a PM if you have any questions, or if me writing about Mexico, for a commercially sold magazine, in a few months time bothers you.

Wow, I can forsee a global gaming revolution coming, so many writers are turning to the rest of the world for exciting tales and events.

Actually, TGQ already has something with an international flavour, which would go REALLY well with a piece focusing exclusively on Mexico. Give shaper a PM to fill you in and discuss this, or demand access to the staff forums, there is a storm brewing, I can tell you. Wink
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please PM me with your details and when you think you can have a draft by.
nothingxs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Dude, I just want to remind you, that I will still be using the info you submited here on Mexico:

I gave you a horribly summarized chunk of text. I plan to write something more in the vein of a story rather than anything very objective. It will be very mexican and very videogamey, and possibly rather trippy if you can keep up with my trail of thought.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I be so bold as to ask for a more detailed, though rather dull and list-like, account of gaming in Mexico? Smile

Well, its in your hands, but Im guessing it would be possible to keep a lot of the content seperate. I really just need some basic facts to get me started, plus a quote maybe from you on an interesting point, and then I'll take it from there.

Basically, you are one of only two gamers from Mexico who I know, and while I'd like to write an article on Mexico, I wouldn't want to step on the toes of TGQ regarding it.

I reckon, write your piece, and then when I come to writing my own Ill be sure to keep them seperate, or look at it from a different angle.

I guess I should also get Shaper's opinion on this. Do you mind if also use nothingxs as an info source for my article at a later date? (we're looking at 4+ months here by the way, at least, before I get to work on it, since there is a long list of countries now forming for me to cover)

If you need to, feel free to drop me a lengthy PM with some info, and maybe website links to check out, nothingxs. Are there any/many companies who work out of Mexico for example? My articles on this for RG tend to be fairly dry and factual 3rd person examinations, rather than juicy first person accounts.
Giampi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're on the subject, allow me to but in unceremoniously.

Account of gaming in Colombia: Y/N?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my work with Retro Gamer magazine (a UK publication dealing with classic games),, or for ShaperMC and the TGQ?

Or maybe for both of us? Smile

But hell yeah! The more countries to cover, the merrier. Right now Im up to about another 6 to cover, meaning Columbia may a little way off, depending on how easy it is to get info for it. The trickier countries Im leaving until later.

But by all means PM an account of what gaming life was like in Columbia, say from around 1980 to 1999.

I'm interested, in locally developed games and developers, linguistic and cultural influences on games and vice versa, modern retro collectors, basically anything and everything games related from foreign countries.

I will be trying to give equal coverage to arcades, consoles and home computers, as well the divide between official and "unnofficial" games.

Hell, if you know local bands who play games music, include that as well!
RG also has a cover disc, meaning if there are any local games developers who want any of their old work included, it can be arranged. Same for video footage and audio, as well as any extra screenshots.

Of course I will credit you and anyone else for any assistance in the thank you section of the article.

If you like the sound of that, send me a PM. Smile
nothingxs

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when the fuck am I going to get the time to write this. Damnit.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothingxs wrote:
I wonder when the fuck am I going to get the time to write this. Damnit.

Soon I hope. As of now you have about 3 months to do it. If you want I can spur you on with a deadline. I still do want to read it, and hopefully publish it.
nothingxs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadline me. Thanks.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothingxs wrote:
Deadline me. Thanks.

Get me a first draft by July 25. Thanks.
nothingxs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be able to meet a deadline. Time is currently otherwise raped by real life attempts at making it to Evolution 2005 and practicing enough to be able to get out of my qualifying bracket or at least taking 3rd within it, my major goal for this time. Apologies.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the 2004 DVDs worth purchasing? That daigo video blew my mind and all, but how much madness is actually going to be packed in those 8 hours?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothingxs wrote:
Won't be able to meet a deadline. Time is currently otherwise raped by real life attempts at making it to Evolution 2005 and practicing enough to be able to get out of my qualifying bracket or at least taking 3rd within it, my major goal for this time. Apologies.

No problem, just don't forget about us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: