The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robotron Clones and You (Mostly me)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Robotron Clones and You (Mostly me) Reply with quote

So I'm making a Robotron clone (remaking an old game of mine, actually), and I'm looking for inspiration (reference material).

Here is the old game.

I'm looking at lots of games as source material. Shock Troopers is one. So is Smash TV. Total Carnage would be a third. None of the games has that thing that I want. Shock Troopers lacks real ballsy. Smash TV is too gameshow. And Total Carnage isn't gay enough. I think Contra Hardcorps is more along the lines of what I want to make, but it's... not the right kind of game!

The aesthetic is right, though. And the bosses, yeah, they're right, too.

Anyways. List Robotron clones. Or list games with crazy crazy atmosphere. Or movies or comics or whatever.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a bunch of Robotron clones when I was checking out what was on Xbox Live Arcade. I can't really remember the names, but I remember thinking they all missed the point a little by leaving out the humans you have to rescue. The humans add so much to how you have to play- it means you have to sometimes weave in and out of the enemies a little to get the humans, because if you just blasted all the enemies surrounding them you might kill them by mistake. The humans create a lot of situations. It's a shame most Robotron-derived games leave them out really.

Jeff Minter did one called Llamatron which is probably worth checking out.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should play battlegirl. it's all about chasing and rescuing little hostage-creatures while evading an on-going assault from an army of enemies and an evil overlord who taunts you from the center of the screen. like a lot of old arcade games, it manages to look like how the future used to look.

robotron x is still one of my favorite remakes, even if the camera sometimes makes it hard to see where you're going. the game makes it up to you the tempest 2000 way: giving you lots of bonus lives.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love things that look like the future used to look. This is the primary reason I'm looking forward to stuff like Warioware Wii. It's a timeless look!

Robotron 64 nearly achieved that, but it narrowly misses and somehow becomes the most ass-ugly commercially released game I've ever played. It might have been ok if they'd left the background black, instead of the greeny-purple virtual light synth they used instead. That game was a big let down. Not recommended.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww, james.

bangaioh is robotron with level design. which is none too shabby.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo Contra should have been a Robotron clone but controls kinda badly because it's not. It definately falls in line with your Contra Hardcorps name drop (and not just because of the Contra title). If you haven't played it yet you should!

I'd be interested in seeing a version of Robotron that's based on the modern ideal of what the future will look like as inspiration. But then, I guess the only real difference between that and the past ideal is that everything is chromed out instead of black and blue.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the modern ideal of what the future will look like is exemplified by Chris Cunningham's video for All Is Full of Love (i.e smooth, clean lines and white, pared down and functional forms). It's a fair assumption, since this look is evident in today's modern hi-tech appliances, like the ipod, Wii, and DS Lite. But all of this kind of takes its cue from 60's spacecraft design, Stanley Kubrick etc, so there's still an element of retro futurism in there. I wonder what would be the 'true' modern vision of the future, say if we had an equivalent of the Italian futurist movement working today.

I think this aforementioned aesthetic is familiar ground for games now, perhaps (see PN:03, Portal).
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futurism?

YAY

_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenta Cho when he isn't using black backgrounds, pretty much.
xvs07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still holding out for a glossy, glassy, liquid-curvy, classic black future, at least once a sufficiently scratch-proof plastic is invented. Lexan is *almost* good enough..

As for Robotroids with heart, check out Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Also possibly Ghoul Patrol, its sequel.

Blacktape itself looks pretty good, so I'm excited to see what you come up with.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Futurism?

YAY

I think that PS2 controller design is playing on our ideas of 'futuristic' based on the movies. It makes me think of T2 or the steps from Flight of The Navigator, or something, just like the original Xbox traded on that whole Aliens future computer schtick.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
Blacktape itself looks pretty good, so I'm excited to see what you come up with.

It looks pretty nice so far :-p.

_Marcel Duchamp
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Neo Contra should have been a Robotron clone but controls kinda badly because it's not.

YES. I was actually planning on starting a thread on just this topic, though your wording is far kinder than mine would have been. Player 2, five minutes with your old game tells me that it's already excellent, and the one thing it needs the most is dual stick control. God gave us dualshocks for a reason, people!

Also, for my money, the best Robotron clone to date is still Mutant Storm, unless the Live Arcade-only sequel is better. Which it probably is.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.puppygames.net/ultratron/

That one has a retro-future look. The creator didn't listen to me when I asked for a hyper mode, unfortunately. It takes way too long for the action to pick-up.

You could also play all the Geometry Wars clones, like Grid Wars (none are as awesome as the original though).

I see someone else already suggested Battle-Girl > : (

Serious Sam is pretty much Robotron in first-person!

I'm sure I have other suggestions (robotron is one of my favourite games) but I can't think of any right now so I'll come back. Perhaps.

Also, you can play the original (and a much of other great miway arcade games) online at the midway arcade. Great ports.

http://www.midwayarcade.com/MAT2/MAT1/classic.php
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite thing about the puppygames thing is that they created a series of remakes all in the same style. My favorite is the Space Invaders one.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Robotron Clones and You (Mostly me) Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
I'm looking at lots of games as source material. Shock Troopers is one. So is Smash TV. Total Carnage would be a third. None of the games has that thing that I want. Shock Troopers lacks real ballsy. Smash TV is too gameshow. And Total Carnage isn't gay enough. I think Contra Hardcorps is more along the lines of what I want to make, but it's... not the right kind of game!

the sega ages alien syndrome might be what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I just played Alien Syndrome on MAME. Wow.

_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played Destruction Carnival?
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!!

D.S. Troy is my homie. In fact, DC is part of the reason why I made Gearbolt way back in the day. Charles keeps telling me to finish it, and I keep telling him that the way it was isn't good enough. He's kinda excited for this version, though.

_Marcel Duchamp
Cryoburner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I think that PS2 controller design is playing on our ideas of 'futuristic' based on the movies. It makes me think of T2 or the steps from Flight of The Navigator, or something, just like the original Xbox traded on that whole Aliens future computer schtick.

You do realize that Sony decided against using those new controllers in favor of a slightly modified version of the same old dual analog controllers they've been using for the last ten years, right? Only now the controller is wireless, and has had its vibration features removed. Sony did tack on a cheap copy of the tilt sensing feature found in Nintendo's new controller, and are subsequently changing the controller's name to 'sixaxis', since 'dualshock' held reference to the removed vibration capabilities. They're not actually coloring the console silver either. The production models will be black, and the whole thing looks rather similar to the PS2, as can be seen here.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's kind of adorable how they label it "new controller for playstation 3".
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryoburner wrote:

You do realize that Sony decided against using those new controllers in favor of a slightly modified version of the same old dual analog controllers they've been using for the last ten years, right? Only now the controller is wireless, and has had its vibration features removed. Sony did tack on a cheap copy of the tilt sensing feature found in Nintendo's new controller, and are subsequently changing the controller's name to 'sixaxis', since 'dualshock' held reference to the removed vibration capabilities. They're not actually coloring the console silver either. The production models will be black, and the whole thing looks rather similar to the PS2, as can be seen here.

Thanks for that excellent news! In other news I just heard of this great band called THE BEATLES
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monster House game on DS is a Robotron clone. Don't ask me how I know this.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
!!!!!

D.S. Troy is my homie. In fact, DC is part of the reason why I made Gearbolt way back in the day. Charles keeps telling me to finish it, and I keep telling him that the way it was isn't good enough. He's kinda excited for this version, though.

I think you probably mentioned this before and your query just brought it to mind. I used to play Destruction Carnival a whole lot though; it was one of the only games I had downloaded from the internet back when I was using a 56k modem.
Cryoburner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried that "blacktape" game you're remaking, and it's rather fun. The weapons remind me somewhat of C-Dogs. Speaking of C-Dogs, I always liked how various explosive objects were often scattered around the environment, leading to the occasional large chain of explosions. The molotov's also made for great fun. : )

Another suggestion would be for a more interesting variety of environments. The background was not exactly captivating, and it would be nice to have background graphics change between levels.

Also, do you currently have a web site? Neither the one listed within the game, or that in your profile, appear to be working.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, do I know Gearbolt, Player 2? It is like Blacktape? Have you posted Blacktape before? It seems really familiar and it does remind me of DC a lot. What's the aesthetic you're going for?
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Blacktape, Gearbolt Rage, and Destruction Carnival have a lot to do with each other. They even control the same.

Basically a game called Factor X came out and was heralded around the Klik community as an amazing game. I thought it was trash and said Destruction Carnival was better - and then I said I'd make the best overhead shooter in an hour. I took old sprites I had lying around for a Tactical Espionage Action game (Metal Gear), threw together an engine, and that's when Gearbolt Rage started.

This summer I worked at a summer camp teaching Multimedia Fusion to kids - Fusion is Klik & Play's great-grandchild. I got ancy and wanted to make games, so I dropped money on Fusion 2 and ported GBR over to Fusion. I then saved it as Blacktape :-p. The name Blacktape is just the company name I wanted to use for that version.

Anyways - Destruction Carnival is a big influence on me. Charles is a friend of mine, and we talk about this new version of GBR almost everday. I want to release it commercially, so I'm making professional graphics for it. That's why I'm scrapping the old project :-p and starting all over.

_Marcel Duchamp
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien Syndrom on that collection was one of the few vaguely worthwhile bits.

I was a big fan of the original, though don't remember getting all that far. I thought the graphics on the C=64 were kind of intertesting in a pixelart sort of way, especially the little troopers, http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/c6402/aliensyn.html

But Bangai-O.. yeah, wow, that game is fantastic. It has this awesome charged up attack mechanic, where the more stuff that's about to hit you, the more bullets fly out in the attack, so if you're daring enough, you have an extreme offensive weapon. And the game gave huge bonuses to how many explosions you get on screen at once.

I actually wrote a walkthrouugh for that game,...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/game/196683.html
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

ha! i found that on the ninth, when i was looking up how many stages are in the game.

i was all like whoa small world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

ha! i found that on the ninth, when i was looking up how many stages are in the game.

i was all like whoa small world.

Yeah, strange when that stuff comes up. Sometimes i try to figure out what the size of the, say, tech sector in New England is.

Come to think of it, that whole charged attack mechanic of Bangai-O very much ties into my current theories of what I like most about various videogames, it is a fairly novel form of interaction, and then carries with it a sense of challenge to wield most properly.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate how clear of an axis you're defining your tastes on, kirk; at least it's consistent!

p2, that actually clears up a lot, thanks. I wasn't sure if I was looking at an echo from the past or if I'd just hallucinated it.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I appreciate how clear of an axis you're defining your tastes on, kirk; at least it's consistent!

I hope so; being able to pin this stuff down is one of the pleasures of the introspective life.
Funny, at the risk of thread highjack, here's a bit from an essay I wrote in the mid/late 90s: ( http://www.kisrael.com/vgames/why.html )
Quote:
And now I know: I play games for the microcosms they create. I love the idea of each cartridge holding a small virtual universe, establishing its rules and laws of physics, populated with artificial beings. Video Games are one of the few forms of Artifical Life that we might encounter on a daily basis.

Classic games, then, appeal to me for two reasons: one is that they're cheap. You can get stacks and stacks of these little universes for just a little money. The second reason is how the graphical and memory constraints of these games forced the designers to be very created in the universes they set up. The NES was plagued by a series of not-very-different side-scrollers, where only the graphics and music varied from game to game. Atari designers didn't have the luxury: they created new universes from the ground up. Game innovation came in the form of new interactions with these electronic microcosms.

S'funny, but i kind of forgot some of that essay, just remembering the "microcosm" bit, but now I can see these axis ain't so new. Figuring out how I like to be "challenged" ain't so hard, either, just a fine balance of making me feel like I'm pretty clever for doing what I just did, not so difficult that I get *really* frustrated.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A microcosmic perspective is a good place to start for game design, I think.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara Donovan is one of the "hot" artists of the day. She examines the multiplicity of simple everday objects in interesting ways. It's a lot like creating a game, I think.

Also: are there any robotron clones where objects interact with each other? I can't think of good/simple ways to get my enemies to interact with each other. They all act indepndently and gang up on the hero just by coincidence :-\

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you played the crossroads games? they're not really in the vein of robotron - they're closer to wizard of wor. but the enemies all interact with each other in interesting ways.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reference. This is absorbing. Her work (which I glanced at, briefly) reminds me a bit of another artist named Tom Friedman.

I can't think of any Robotron games where the other charaters interact, but I imagine it would be a bit like Crossroads without the maze. Unless you count the humans in the original? In any case I'm a big fan of autonomous enemies. Good luck making it work!

edit: Way to preempt me, dess! As appropriate as that may be.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

Also: are there any robotron clones where objects interact with each other? I can't think of good/simple ways to get my enemies to interact with each other. They all act indepndently and gang up on the hero just by coincidence :-\

Do you mean team up on the player, or sometimes fight amongst themselves?

Crossroads had a bit of both, with some monsters that were "allies", and as the waves of various types warped in the canny player would try to weed out over-represented populations accordingly.

Another canidate: DOOM and DOOM II. The use of sprites allowed even 486s to throw bajillions of enemies at you... it didn't even need to clear away the bodies! And especially on certain levels, triggering mutual animosity was a key to success.

An overhead view of DOOM would be rather Robotron/SMASH TVish, actually.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kirkjerk"]
player 2 wrote:
An overhead view of DOOM would be rather Robotron/SMASH TVish, actually.

I always saw DOOM as a FPS version of Bezerk (only with a steady fast pace). You can make the enemies shoot each other in that game, for one thing. I don't know where the eletrified walls would come in though. Barrels? Anyway, I see Serious Sam as a FPS version of Robotron/SmashTV, as mentioned earlier.

I remember reading that Gauntlet was one of the bigger inspirations for Doom. I can see that, too, apart from the lack of monster generators. It would also explain why John Romero went to work on the last Gauntlet game, even though it sucked.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Gauntlet game is actually pretty fun.

_Marcel Duchamp
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! Maybe it is, I haven't actually played it. It's just what I heard. Maybe I'll try it out after all.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys - I just uploaded a full screen version of Destruction Carnival. You can download it here. It's a classic game that doesn't get enough classic game love, I think. Try it out, it's probably the best Robotron-y game I've ever played (not to mention the inspiration for my own game).

_Marcel Duchamp
Six

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Hey you guys - I just uploaded a full screen version of Destruction Carnival. You can download it here. It's a classic game that doesn't get enough classic game love, I think. Try it out, it's probably the best Robotron-y game I've ever played (not to mention the inspiration for my own game).
Oh, wow. I'd completely forgotten about it. I played the crap out of it... must've been seven or eight years ago?
player 2 wrote:
This summer I worked at a summer camp teaching Multimedia Fusion to kids - Fusion is Klik & Play's great-grandchild.
Yeah. Back then I was a kid at a summer camp, being taught Klik & Play. I still have a holey, threadbare t-shirt somewhere, and probably a 3.5" with some crappy pseudo-game on it.

Anyway, this is awesome. Thank you.
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've gotten pretty far in the remake of GBR. The one problem I'm worried about is that I'm not sure how it will run on other people's computers. If anyone would like to see a work in progress:

The original:
http://www.fivehit.org/blacktape/blacktape.zip

The new version:
http://www.fivehit.org/blacktape/gbrd.zip

I changed an important game mechanic. If you tap shift (action button 1) while overlapping an enemy, you will knife them. But touching an enemy will alert them to you and they will attack soon (exclamation points ala MGS). This makes enemies like the dog more vicious because upon a succesful attack he will repeat. So make sure to let go of shift for strafing and use it for melee combat.

Also, you can't die.

And it's pretty hard.

_Marcel Duchamp
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so tired I can't even read right now, but I'd just like to say how much I love Gain Ground (Arcade, Master System, Genesis, etc).

It's not a true Robotron clone (with independant shooting controls and that), but it's a top-down area shooter thing. And it's fun.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been playing gearbolt rage finally and it's really really good.

just so you know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dess, I was actually wondering what your opinion would be. Maybe I'll contact you about testing/developing the new version as soon as I have something more substantial.

_Marcel Duchamp
Six

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty different from what you're doing in tone and style, but Gamma Bros. is one of the better Robotronish games I've played in recent memory.

Also, I just realized I forgot to say it before: I tried GBR, and it's a helluva lot of fun. The remake is shaping up nicely, too.
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was drunk last night I wrote:
I like the structured style. In fact, it's a question I've been mulling over for the remake of GBR:

What's better between waves and streams?

The original Gearbolt had waves of enemies (Level 1, Level 2) that would come pretty much all at once (by the higher levels, it'd be 5-10 seconds for all the enemies to appear). Destruction Carnival, though, has a stream of enemies that build up over time. There's also a compromise in which the enemies will come in waves and streams. Gamma Bros handles it in sort of a combination, but I'm not sure how I'd implement that kind of play into GBR (the enemies move according to AI routines and not path movement).

Also, about the squad play, I was thinknig that if I did small waves I could have clusters of Hazmats pop in or Ninjas smoke bomb around the player, so that instead of like 50 enemies walk in from the sides crazy, I could make it a little more interesting. A cluster of Hazmats or Dogs are a little more dangerous than each one alone. And Ninjas surrounding you would be pretty hard to deal with, too.

Eh... I"m kinda messed up. I'll toss out my game ideas later. Btw, how about enemy ideas? I already have an idea (and someone to make the sprite for me!) for a bigger dog that moves slower, attacks harder, but takes like 8x times the damage? Or a super soldier with a melee combat knife? Hmm...

Edit: ignore most of this please. Thanks, haha.

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Thanks Dess, I was actually wondering what your opinion would be. Maybe I'll contact you about testing/developing the new version as soon as I have something more substantial.

maybe i'd like that!

longer stages where enemies continuously wander on-screen would be pretty keen.

also, +NIGA+ is a cute little game. note that though aiming is mouse-controlled, you can only shoot in eight directions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
+NIGA+

!!!

I thought I word filtered that...

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: