The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damn you, Half-Life 2, for setting the bar so high
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Is an obvious one, but nto every console gamer wants to require a Web connection. I get the impression it's the kind of thing it will take time getting used to.

Alternativly it could be sold as a $20 budget title where you would need the original and an HD. OR, GotY-esque edition at that time.

Fuck, this could be the GotY next year. And if they do release it with Ep.3 I will buy the game AGAIN... I suck.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, Ep.1 is so well designed. I was late to play it, having spent summer in a late alpha purgatory. I had actually just completed Prey the day of its release, and decided it was 'OK'. Certainly worth the jaunt, but nothing to blow your mind. Then I played and completed Ep.1 the following night. The six hours with Episode 1 easily destroyed the whatever-hours (more than six) spent completing Prey. Great talent will always find a way to kick ass, I suppose, at any length...

The later Half-Life 2 Episodes on PS3 and 360 will be $19.99 boxed in retail. Equivalent distribution range of EA's own AAA titles. A company that puts as much labor into its games (they're meticulous) as Valve deserves sprawling retail distribution, even if it's provided by everyone's favorite industry Satan figure. Tally-ho.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
I had actually just completed Prey the day of its release, and decided it was 'OK'. Certainly worth the jaunt, but nothing to blow your mind.

Yeah, the demo left me with the impression that it will be a good budget buy in the future.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new video out with the Ziff-Davis people checking out Half-Life 2 and Portal. Holy crap does this pair of stuff look amazing. Portal looks like something I could easily become obsessed with, and apparently it's A: being done by at least one really hot girl and B: Part of the Half-Life universe, with the Portal gun potentially being added to Gordon's arsenal.

Awesome.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Portal team definitely gets 12 points for the good-looking spokeswoman. The whole video demo looks so damn impressive; see, if this was coming out this fall, as it was meant to, I would have bought that 360 yesterday!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Half-Life 2 videos from Ziff-Davis. This time it's of people playing the Japanese Half-Life 2 arcade game. Man does it look awesome! It's like Half-Life 2 without any of the "getting lost" or "story" portions of the game! They added in glowing icons on every important doorway and item box to let you know where to go next, making the game even more scripted. I'd love to play a version of the game with these things added in to see how they affect the overall experience.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life 2: Survivor is quite the oddity. Is the franchise already that popular in Japan, or Asia in general? Will this arcade game make it to the West?

I'm also curious to know the history behind it. Did Valve had this idea in mind or what?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It's like Half-Life 2 without any of the "getting lost" or "story" portions of the game! They added in glowing icons on every important doorway and item box to let you know where to go next, making the game even more scripted.

While I know you were being sarcastic, most of the parts they showed weren't story parts. But the story was still there if you pay attention to the end.

The game really looks like an arcade game now (all the glowing/point stuff added). The Ravenholm section looked like House of the Dead, but you could go where ever you wanted.

Also, I could probably count the ammount of times I got lost in HL2 on one hand. If you are really interested in playing the game with those pointers to see how the difference is, you might want to actually play the game through once to have something to compair it to.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
If you are really interested in playing the game with those pointers to see how the difference is, you might want to actually play the game through once to have something to compair it to.

I'll admit that I didn't watch this whole Ziff-Davis movie, but I'll also admit that I never got past the 1/3 way mark in Half-Life 2 (more because of lack of time than anything else). What I watched of the video happened to coincide with what i played of the game, and it looks like the icons add a lot of pressure to progress as quickly as possible.

Due to the nature of arcades I'd be surprised if they didn't cut out some of the in-game exposition in order to make it play more of an arcade game. Come to think of it, Is there any indication that they left in the more puzzle-based parts of the game? I can't imagine an arcade game where the physics-based floating cylinder puzzle that took me 15 mintues to get through would have been left in as-is.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I can't imagine an arcade game where the physics-based floating cylinder puzzle that took me 15 mintues to get through would have been left in as-is.

You mean the one in the water? I don't see why they wouldn't. It's not really a puzzle when they are point stuff out like that.

Cryoburner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about a Half Life 2 arcade game a while back, but didn't see any footage of it until now. It doesn't appear have the same feel as HL2, with all those glowing neon indicators all over the place, and a countdown timer ticking away. I suppose it's necessary to make it faster-paced for arcades though, since most people won't be willing to sit in an arcade playing the same game all day. : )

According to its Wikipedia entry, the game does have a lot cut out in its single player mode, including the gravity gun, physics puzzles, and most of the story. I don't think it would be very representative of Half-Life 2, but it could still be fun to play.

There are more videos available at the game's official site, which also show the multiplayer modes in more detail.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
I can't imagine an arcade game where the physics-based floating cylinder puzzle that took me 15 mintues to get through would have been left in as-is.

You mean the one in the water? I don't see why they wouldn't. It's not really a puzzle when they are point stuff out like that.

It's not so much the complexity of the puzzle as much as the potential for error that's not really you're doing. The reason this took me so long is that I kept getting stuck under water while those floating puzzle pieces prevented me from making it to the surface. It's not really a huge deal since I could just restart my game, but in the arcade you don't have that option. Real-world physics just aren't predictable enough for an arcade-style puzzle. But I guess that assertion holds true since - as Cryoburner pointed out and I asserted - many of the physics puzzles and story sections were removed to make the game more arcadey.

I can't belive they totally removed the gravity gun though. Seems like that takes away the most interesting part of the game. It's Half-Life of Doom.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve had already done plenty of culling with HL2: Deathmatch in mind. Some of these module assets (all based on the campaign maps’ architectures) were apparently used by Taito during the slim down process. Then they bubbled-up the interface/HUD and fluffed-up contextual indicators to keep the player moving to compact objectives, and fighting...and dying, and continuing.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was playing coastline to atmosphere, a mod whose host page is down right now, and uh, it's the weirdest fucking thing i've ever played. half of it is an overly long, enemy heavy reimagination of episode 1, and the other half is silent hill with a drug-induced fugue in the middle of it.

then it crashed. but like, it's worth checking out. easily weirder than mistake of pythagoras, at least in the weird part.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the suggestion of just about everyone ever, I started playing this yesterday. It was the xbox version since none of the computers I own can run the PC game, and about an hour in I had to stop due to a horrible headache that the game had given me. I had the same problem with Half Life 1 and never played it as a result, but other games (Team Fortress Classic, Halo 2, Unreal Tournament) haven't given me this problem.

Any suggestions?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drink a few and go at it again?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that seems especially like a bad idea.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's Lestrade's solution to everything.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

change your distance from the tv? (i.e. move back more)
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that tonight (and if it doesn't work, I will throw back a few).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I had to stop due to a horrible headache that the game had given me. I had the same problem with Half Life 1 and never played it as a result, but other games (Team Fortress Classic, Halo 2, Unreal Tournament) haven't given me this problem.

Any suggestions?

Weird! Half Life 1 for the PS2 and Quake 3 for the DC have done this to me, but Half Life 2 didn't. Perhaps try lowering the speed of turning on the controller?

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing it with an Atari Mindlink?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol helps a lot.

The boat part is silly and was very hard to control.

Ravenholm is resident evil in first person shooter mode? It's scary and all, and I'm running out of ammo.

Robert Guillaume is the shit.

either I'm not drinking enough (I've had four beers so far) or I'm not having much fun yet.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:

Ravenholm is resident evil in first person shooter mode? It's scary and all, and I'm running out of ammo.

Uh. [hint] sawblades [/hint].
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
that's Lestrade's solution to everything.

nana komatsu wrote:
Alcohol helps a lot.

Yeah, but it worked! You doubt my powaaaah?!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
either I'm not drinking enough (I've had four beers so far) or I'm not having much fun yet.

I found the game Awesome, and very impressive. In a strange, detached way, I was having fun. But I enjoyed every single second I was playing. I did have fun quite often, but things like running from the enemy on the rooftop and falling straight into their trap was genius and stressful, not exactly fun.

Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother of bigamous toadfuck!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Mother of bigamous toadfuck!

Well, maybe this will give me time to finish Half-Life 2 and then play Episode 1. Gotta think positive in these situations!

Though no Portal until next year makes me very Sad
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly a "Valve Motherfuckers" moment.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this site have a name hidden somewhere on its page? wrote:
Valve's Doug Lombardi told CVG today that Half-Life 2: Episode Two's release has slipped from Q1 2007 back to summer 2007. Lombardi told us that the super developer is "now targeting summer 2007" for a release. This obviously affects Team Fortress 2 and Portal, which all form part of mouth-watering Episode Two package.

wait, so missing a deadline makes valve a "super developer"?

hey everyone, my new game's going to be released tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea where the super developer tag came from, myself. Valve have released a great deal of brilliant material, and I'd venture them as being the most successful "indie" game developer yet, but missing a deadline is still badly seen, especially when they made a habit of it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's valve alright.

though at the same time they always deliver, so maybe they should keep their fucking mouths shut?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be almost preferable, as far as their long-term reputation goes.

I suppose that goes for practically anyone really, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: