The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAX 2006: ALL HAIL BALL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Six

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: PAX 2006: ALL HAIL BALL Reply with quote

I guess you kind of had to be there. The event itself was pretty good, but the best times seem to have been impromptu (see above.) Even the negatives (the absolutely omnipresent and nasty-looking BAWLS and some serious overcrowding problems, to name a few) weren't enough to put a damper on the events. Especially awesome was hanging out with TGQ folk! I kind of wish we could've squeezed in another meetup with everyone somewhere.

A few notes:
-Attendance was listed at 19,300-odd people. It was absolutely packed, but actually kind of neat outside the con - like a little neighbourhood of gamers where everyone kind of knew each other. Next year's event will take place at a venue apparently three times larger, and there are rumblings of a concurrent East Coast PAX in 2008.
-Rockstar was giving out t-shirts. The only thing to do with a Rockstar t-shirt is cut off the sleeves and make it a wife-beater.
-I never really considered myself weak of stomach, but I think I should probably swear off Mexican food while abroad.

Anyway, everyone else should post some pictures or memories or comments. Here are a couple of photos (more here):

A little reciprocation at xvs07 and Squidlarkin's place.

THE BALL IS KING

PAX was mercifully light on cosplayers, but that doesn't mean people shied away from wearing totally sweet headgear.

This was basically what was going down on Pictochat all weekend, except even less intelligible.

xvs07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to pressure my roomie Anne into posting her pictures here later, but memories will do for now.

The blue ball is one of my most vivid memories of PAX. I can't help but feel that if electronic entertainment could ever produce something as versatile and iconic as that spherical, rubber bladder of cobalt joy, it would begin a new era for games.

Another crowning moment was Guitar Hero II: Tycho v. Khoo. "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" as made famous by the Stone Temple Pilots. It was a close match with Tycho running behind a bit, when the game froze. The crowd nearly got violent and certainly got verbally abusive during the restart. Then the gloves came off. The second time around, both players were both pumped, and competition was neck and neck, when Tycho proceeded to make heads explode and pulled away into zen flow territory. I could only stand and bear witness. And scream.

Also, the Video Game Pianist was far more impressive in person, and I was quite impressed enough with YouTube's depiction. The sea of LCDs was epic. I do not kid.

In the end, I came away with my 3-Day pass bearing the scribbles of the VGP, Tycho, & Gabe. Satisfaction acquired. I'll be back next year.

Last edited by xvs07 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: PAX 2006: ALL HAIL BALL Reply with quote

Six wrote:
Even the negatives (the absolutely omnipresent and nasty-looking BAWLS and some serious overcrowding problems, to name a few) weren't enough to put a damper on the events.

I take it Bawls isn't a common beverage where you hail from? All the juvenile jokes that can be made from its name aside (and the burning sense of shame you get when you inevitably contribute to them), it's actually pretty decent tasting, as energy drinks go.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: PAX 2006: ALL HAIL BALL Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Six wrote:
Even the negatives (the absolutely omnipresent and nasty-looking BAWLS and some serious overcrowding problems, to name a few) weren't enough to put a damper on the events.
I take it Bawls isn't a common beverage where you hail from? All the juvenile jokes that can be made from its name aside (and the burning sense of shame you get when you inevitably contribute to them), it's actually pretty decent tasting, as energy drinks go.
I don't think they have very good distribution. Even here in Boston, you really can't find it easily.

I've got one outlet within ten miles (a 7-11). There are a big ZERO locations to purchase Bawls in Cambridge, MA, which you would think would be a fucking no brainer (MIT, Harvard... ...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy! The stuff's everywhere here--supermarkets, convenience stores, even the college carries it in the food court and various vending areas.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGQ Squad: PAX was made up entirely of awesome people.

I seriously came like a half hour too late on Friday to see the damn ball.

The final round of the Omegathon wasn't just Tetris, it was motherfucking Tengen Tetris. People were asking what game it was on Pictochat afterwards; I said E.T., Six said Tower of Druaga. Next year, I propose they just have everyone play Desert Bus all weekend. Last one standing takes it all.

Uhh.. I pretended to be a Real Games Journalist and had a SUPER SECRET meeting that will probably turn into an interview in TGQ a few months down the road. Took some Serious Games Journalist Bribes in the form of review copies! Woo!

Played Charge Air Blade against Six in his hotel room and slaughtered him, even though I'd never played it and am not actually very good at shooters.

Disappointing: The console freeplay had very little that was interesting, especially with the PS2s out of comission. Six and I stood in line for like a half hour only to shrug and walk away when told that there were no consoles there that were actually capable of playing Metal Slug, even though it was on the list.

Weird: Large US Army presence, promoting America's Army. Seeing people swarm around them as they threw free T-Shirts into the crowd was rather disturbing.

Encouraging: Indie games on the floor! GarageGames had a pretty big booth with multiplayer Marble Blast in it (which I did embarassingly bad at, and which passers-by kept commenting was "woah, Marble Madness" argh). The Behemoth had their XBox 360 devkits out running Castle Crashers, which was looking pretty excellent, even with the random crashes. And Klei dressed up one of their guys in Eets cosplay (the me-vs-the-Marshomech picture Six posted) and had him roam PAX, which probably did them way more good than, say, the obnoxious carnival barker in the Fury booth did for Fury.

Also: Does anybody want an XBox 360 faceplate? It's pretty and blue and I won't have any use for it at all for some time. I won it by knowing Dana Plato was the star of Night Trap, but I was also the only one in the room who knew about the Dave Perry designer challenge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Weird: Large US Army presence, promoting America's Army. Seeing people swarm around them as they threw free T-Shirts into the crowd was rather disturbing.

You know, I happened to be in Atlantic City recently during an air show (with both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, which I guess is a Big Deal in those circles). So there was a giant Army/Navy/Airforce presence, and each of their booths had a pull-up bar with a line of girls in bikinis waiting to test their strength of something. I didn't see any guys involved. The armed forces have a weird sort of like this I guess. Gamers and Jersey girls.
Six

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: PAX 2006: ALL HAIL BALL Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Six wrote:

My beef was with how it seemed to be everywhere - giant inflatable Bawls bottles, oversize cardboard Bawls cutouts, Bawls stickers, etc., not to mention copious amounts of the drink proper. Somehow a half-dozen bottles of it ended up in my hotel room.
And yes, I kind of hate the name; it recalls the sound of a wailing baby. Couldn't they have at least used another homophone?

(And as a matter of fact, the only place I know of that sells it is a computer store. Oddly enough, it seems to be the only franchise in that chain and that sells it.
[Entirely off-topic: I just had a flashback of that Lucasarts SNES game Big Sky Trooper, which has you putting up fast-food franchises to stop the spread of an alien menace. I don't think I gave that a second thought at the time.])
Six

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also!
ApM wrote:
The final round of the Omegathon wasn't just Tetris, it was motherfucking Tengen Tetris.
I just read the Wikipedia article; I didn't really understand what the fuss was about when I heard people talking after the match. Tengen Tetris was what I grew up on. It's a fragile, revered part of my childhood, but I think next year I should bring my 63-in-one cart over there and we should have a big ol' NES party.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Also: Does anybody want an XBox 360 faceplate? It's pretty and blue and I won't have any use for it at all for some time. I won it by knowing Dana Plato was the star of Night Trap, but I was also the only one in the room who knew about the Dave Perry designer challenge.
I could use an Xbox360 faceplate. I would add it to my collection...I've got three now, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mr. Goodwin, but Shaper called it both via PM and oddly vehement instant message! My hands are tied.
Six wrote:
I think next year I should bring my 63-in-one cart over there and we should have a big ol' NES party.

Hell yes. I'll go one further and say that if everyone in TGQ Squad: PAX made a concerted effort to showcase the hidden jewels of our respective collections, it would be fucking epic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xvs07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
f everyone in TGQ Squad: PAX made a concerted effort to showcase the hidden jewels of our respective collections, it would be [i]fucking epic.

Agreed, and I'll go you one further: If TGQ Squad: PAX also grew by at least ... 5? 15? lots? members next year, it would be EVEN MORE fucking epic. So put in for vacation and get yer passes, folks. TGQ is legion!
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in that case, I should offer up my official "The Outfit" faceplate. You could only get it by preordering the game.

Note that I said, preorder. Once you have the swag, there's nothing they can do to you if you decide to, for instance, preorder something else, instead.
xvs07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no-one else has mentioned him yet, I'll go ahead and say it: MC Frontalot pleasantly surprised me. I was skeptical of the idea of geekcentric rap going in, and I'm still wondering whether it's really ever going to have a following, but when I was there I didn't need any convincing. I'm not sure how many people there were behind me, but there was certainly a crush around the stage, and they had me screaming nonsense like "NERDCORE COULD RISE UP!!" by the end. Those of you in the NY, NY area ought to do yourselves a favor and see the live show on 10/21. Others can get a hint of what it's all about with some mp3s.

I think even if the whole thing hadn't touched me on some deep, whimsical level, it still would've been one helluva spectacle.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
If TGQ Squad: PAX also grew by at least ... 5? 15? lots? members next year, it would be EVEN MORE fucking epic. So put in for vacation and get yer passes, folks. TGQ is legion!

I've been intending to go for... well, since they started the damn thing, actually, and have yet to make it. Transportation and lodging have been my biggest concerns, and if there are fellow TGQ-ites that wouldn't mind sharing both, I'd be in like Flint for next year, assuming I'm still in the country.

Which I really hope not to be, but PAX isn't too bad, as backup plans go.
xvs07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
xvs07 wrote:
If TGQ Squad: PAX also grew by at least ... 5? 15? lots? members next year, it would be EVEN MORE fucking epic. So put in for vacation and get yer passes, folks. TGQ is legion!

I've been intending to go for... well, since they started the damn thing, actually, and have yet to make it. Transportation and lodging have been my biggest concerns, and if there are fellow TGQ-ites that wouldn't mind sharing both, I'd be in like Flint for next year, assuming I'm still in the country.

Which I really hope not to be, but PAX isn't too bad, as backup plans go.

If you're in the U.S. and I'm in a place with an extra futon or better, you've got yourself a crash pad.
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see you and raise you one: I'm perfectly compatable with The Floor, and as my standard accessories often include Sleeping Bag and Pillow, I am able to sleep in a variety of locales such as underneath tables and other furniture!

Seriously though, thanks for the offer. Now I just have to bum a ride off of one o' them Caleeforneeyans (or other southern gentry) in a year's time. I think it should be possible...
xvs07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Now I just have to bum a ride...

If you have trouble finding a ride, you might want to try the PAX '07 topic, or maybe the PAX forums in general. Possibly even Craigslist, if you've no luck. If all else fails, it only costs about $60 for a round-trip Amtrak ticket. (It's a little less on Greyhound, but I've had some bad crack-addict experiences with them.) In any case, I shall plan on you for PAX '07!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny Arcde does ok for a comic which has never been funny ever, huh.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publicity goes a long way.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

it's a lot like achewood in that regard.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Lets be honest here, there aren't a lot of successful comics that are actually funny...

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
it's a lot like achewood in that regard.
Them's fightin' words, both of yas! I'll admit it's not the most consistently funny thing ever, but I mean how could you not love stuff like The Last Christmas, arguably the most heartwarming Lovecraftian yuletide yarn ever?

Anyway, regardless of what you think of their comic, Gabe and Tycho are pretty nice, likeable guys who definitely know how to throw a party.

It was kind of peripheral to me this year (Ball notwithstanding), but a lot of non-video game (or tabletop) play takes place at PAX. Off the top of my head: epic Nerf battles, Paxssassins (a big, fan-organized hunter/hunted kind of thing), and I even heard of some sort of murder mystery game took place at one of the hotels. Some sponsors even got in on it this year, including Guild Wars and I think Assassin's Creed - though neither seemed especially interesting.

We were supposed to do it in Montreal this summer and it kind of fell through, but I'm tentatively planning to do a giant live game of Where's Waldo next year. Though it's kind of hard to see now that his hair's long, my friend Dave (Imperion) bears an absolutely uncanny resemblance to Waldo.

How I'm actually going to get across the country next year is still way up in the air, but anyone else who's considering coming and needs logding is welcome to crash in our hotel room.

(EDIT: Changed the link - now 76% more terrifying.)

Last edited by Six on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Now I just have to bum a ride...

If you have trouble finding a ride, you might want to try the PAX '07 topic, or maybe the PAX forums in general. Possibly even Craigslist, if you've no luck. If all else fails, it only costs about $60 for a round-trip Amtrak ticket. (It's a little less on Greyhound, but I've had some bad crack-addict experiences with them.) In any case, I shall plan on you for PAX '07!

Greyhound is absolutely terrifying (I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 'good' Greyhound experience), but that may be the best option in this case. Thanks to Amtrack being total fucktards, the closest train depot here is on the OTHER side of the Cascades--despite running through almost all of western Oregon north of here.
I may have a look-see at Craigslist or the PAX forums, but as I'm not always comfortable bumming rides off of complete and total strangers, I'd prefer to thoroughly exhaust my options of people I 'know' electronically first, which is possibly a strange contradiction. Either way, it's still a ways off, so I'll have plenty of time to forge alliances and stow away on freight transports and the like.
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
.... the closest train depot here is on the OTHER side of the Cascades--despite running through almost all of western Oregon north of here.

Huh? I thought you lived in or near Portland. I must be confused. I certainly didn't think you were just stuck way out nowhere. I mean, Amtrak hops and bops all the way up and down the Willamette Valley..
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down in Ashland--still on the I-5 corridor in the western part of the state, but for some ridiculously asinine reason, the main Amtrack line jumps immediately over the Cascades into eastern Oregon south of Eugene, where it serves places in the middle of bumfucknowhere like Chemult and comes nowhere close to here. There's also a stop over at Klamath and some sort of bus-shuttle system running between here and there, so that's always an option, but dammit, I moved to this side of the state to get away from having to have a car to travel anywhere!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're selling the ball!
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wily scamps! I knew they would! 21 bids, $405 dollars for Child's Play and counting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: