The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Falling Behind"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: "Falling Behind" Reply with quote

I wonder how prevalent it is on a forum of self-professed 'avid gamers,' but, here goes anyway.

Do any of you feel like you're falling behind on the videogame scene?

Here's my piece:

I have a DS. I have a fairly good computer. I have a PS2, a Gamecube, a Dreamcast...I have many videogame systems, it goes without saying. But I feel in recent years I've been missing the boat a little bit--whereas before, all the games that would leave peoples' lips would be familiar to me, and I would probably have played a good chunk of them, now they are all foreign. I don't have an Xbox 360--I don't really have much money, either (that's certainly part of it). Besides all these modern games coming out that I keep telling myself I have to play, I still have a billion old games I've never played to catch up on.

So lately, I just feel like I'm falling behind. I have this great PC--but most of my PC Gaming these days is Half-Life 2/Counter-Strike Source/Various other mods, little online games like Toribash (which deserves a thread of its own, incidentally), some old adventure games, and playign through SNES-era RPGs in Japanese on ZSNES.

And so I tell myself, "well, don't think that there's a bar that you have to live up to." My perpetual problem with movies and music, too, is that I'm always trying to get more, and I always feel like I'm missing out on half of it. With those two genres of art, it's only fueled my eclectic tastes, but it's almost like...geeze, even with all my free time, I don't have time to play games anymore. Sitting down for an entirely new game is almost scary to me. I still have Far Cry unopened sitting on my desk.

I haven't played F.E.A.R. Or Indigo Prophecy. Or Dreamfall. Or, 99 Nights, or Lumines. Hell, going to Japan made me feel like shit about DS because there's a gajillion awesome games for it, and I'm going to be playing them all when it's a dead system. I haven't read the Escapist in a zillion issues, even though I want to. Digg links are piling up again. And I just keep booting up the same familiar games. What is wrong with me? I know you could just say, "well, it's not that big of a deal," but I'm interested in all great experiences, and more and more it feels like my native art-form, videogaming, is full of them and I can't/won't feel it, too.

I donno--there's my garbled rant. Does anybody else feel kind of "interactively stagnent?" (not a euphemism for sex)
a_plus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh, absolutely. a couple of years ago I was on top of most everything, but now I'm so poor I just kind of idly read about stuff. I have a gamecube, but haven't picked up any games for it, never had a ps2, and my pc is aging. Current gen systems are totally out of the picture, so I've been taking my time recently to look into older games I've missed, which suits me rather well.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't consider myself an avid gamer. i can't remember the last time i bought a ps2 game.

oh, wait. sega ages alien syndrome.

well there you go.

lockeis37337orsomething wrote:
I haven't played F.E.A.R. Or Indigo Prophecy. Or Dreamfall. Or, 99 Nights, or Lumines.

i havn't even played any of these games!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy consoles until a couple of years after their release anyway.
vf10a

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really starting to feel this way until the last couple of months. As I have just finished high school I have had an extra long summer holiday in which I have eaten into a sizeable chunk of my backlog. I would recommend just picking a new game up and starting it, then if it doesn't grab you by the time you first switch the console off stop playing it. Rinse and repeat until you find a game you really want to play. In the past I would have felt really guilty about not giving a game a proper chance but now I figure its better than leaving it to rot in a pile of games still to play.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just in a complete slump. I get like this. All I need is one exciting something and I'll be back into games. And writing about them. (Sorry Shaper!)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt that way a while back.

Now I've embraced it. Dig up a copy of Tengai Makyo Ziria for PC-Engine and sit yourself down for some old school enjoyment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got so much stuff that I don't know when I'm going to have time to play it all and new stuff seems to be coming out almost weekly that I really, really shouldn't get but know that I will. Arghhh!

But yeah, the key to keeping up with what's going on is to have a job where you can surf the internet for a few hours a day and still get everything done. The key to happiness is to not let this lazyness follow you home.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like this: According to Wikipedia, 172,000 books were published in the U.S. last year, and according to Nielsen-SoundScan, 60,331 albums of new music were released. Wikipedia has thus far indexed 635 games released in 2005. Now, let's be generous and say that a tenth of a percent of the music and books and five percent of the games are relevant to you, or something you suspect you would enjoy. That makes 172 books, 60 albums, and 31 games. Get crackin'. Oh, and don't forget to work sixty hours every week to pay for it all.

In short, you'll never keep up with the rate of production, so just prioritize as best you can. I try to keep a roughly even mix of stuff that my friends have enjoyed and stuff no-one I know has tried. That way there's common experience, but also lots of new experiences to suggest to people.

Edit: It's also a pretty telling fact that sales are down in all three categories in recent years. I think lots of folks are beginning to get over trying to keep up with the times. Which is just plain badass in my book.

Last edited by xvs07 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is impossible to not feel this way with games. With films it was much, much easier. The crappy movies are easier to spot and they only eat up about 2 hours each on average. If you are really trying you can get through a good 5 of them on a lazy Sunday. This is usually more than what was released on that week (sometimes that month), so you can keep up with the new and throw in a few old ones.

This is pretty much impossible with games, and one of the main reasons that I have started to dispise crap thrown in to make them longer artificially. I give up on more games now even if I love them. I can't seem to make it past the 30 hour point on anything anymore. Games like Dead Rising are amazing though. The first play-through is only about 5 hours long. There are multiple endings, but so much of them feel competent on their own right that you don't feel like you need to get them all and they suit your play style usually. Because of this I have been spurred to complete it 3 times now.

I also try to be very, very selective of my RPGs. I can really only seem to finish them on hand held consoles anymore. They work better to have in your pocket and just play for a chunk at a time before bed: like reading a book slowly.

I also stopped attempting to play PC games, but I did this a long time ago.

Yet, I still play ten times more games than most gamers, and probably twice even that of casual gamers. Mixing things up with some retro games that only take a couple hours to beat are worth it. Also having arcade style game tastes will score you games like Metal Slug which are a blast and non-commital.

When all is said and done, most of the best games of the last two years are under ten hours long anyways.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Six

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Falling Behind" Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
I have a fairly good computer. I have a PS2, a Gamecube...
You're already ahead of me, then. Handhelds notwithstanding, the most recent system I have is a Dreamcast - and I only got one after Sega killed them off. I'm at the point right now where I'm considering maybe getting a PS2 sometime in the future. Hell, I only have a PSX because my brother's roomie didn't want his anymore.

Lately I've been largely playing stuff that's good for short spurts: DS games and freeware/indie games. Does that make me a (ugh) casual gamer?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Falling Behind" Reply with quote

Six wrote:
Lately I've been largely playing stuff that's good for short spurts: DS games and freeware/indie games. Does that make me a (ugh) casual gamer?

Not in my books. I think that "Casual Gamers" are people who only play one or two games a year and only buy the console that they think is "the hot new thing."

Example: Johnny Tommy wants to play a game because he use to have an NES when he was a kid. He goes to Walmart and looks around and sees Grand Theft Auto for the PS2 and remember hearing about it on the news. He buys that and a PS2 and takes it home and plays it on and off for about a month. He then gets the itch to play something else in 6 months or a year and goes back to walmart. He may never even mention that he plays games.

Another example is someone who doesn't even know they play games: Janey Samm plays solitare on her computer at work and will occasionally play Bejewled while IMing her friends at home. She can't stand her boyfriend "gamer" who plays console games and PC "games" all the time: she doesn't understand how he does it.

Granted these are both stereotyping and extreme, but you get the point. Casual gamers just don't take games very seriously.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janey Samm is a slut and should just shut her whore mouth.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Janey Samm is a slut and should just shut her whore mouth.
Oh god, you too? This is so embarassing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty long "to play" list. Mostly I don't get around to it though, it's just such a large time investment. I wish there were more 10 hour games!

I'm not concerned with keeping up though. I've actually spent more time trying to catch up on my history. We've got a couple decades to be aquainted with.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i buy about one contemporary game every few months.

i'm having trouble deciding between dragon quarter and deep labyrinth. advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Quarter. And a rom of Shining In the Darkness, if you really need it both ways. Or Wizardry or whatever. Deep Labyrinth is gently-filtered jrpg pap.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm having trouble deciding between dragon quarter and deep labyrinth. advice is appreciated.

Deep Labyrinth honestly looks like something that would be pretty bad. Dragon Quarter is also about half the price and much more interesting looking. I wish that I had some time to play an RPG . . .

dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you have dragon quarter?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Dragon Quarter. Deep Labyrinth looks horrible.

To Matt: You'd probably enjoy RPGs if you make it a higher priority to recieve enjoyment out of them than to finish them.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just playing f.e.a.r. this afternoon. it's well-executed. it has a mood: uncomfortable, tense, greasy. like a sweaty, abandoned subway train at three in the morning that's haunted by an evil little girl.

it's a game that lives up to its back cover blurbs. if you're not into that kind of game, that won't matter.

it also looks incredible. which, again, is not everyone's thing, but it's definitely quite good if that is your thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i was just playing f.e.a.r. this afternoon. it's well-executed. it has a mood: uncomfortable, tense, greasy. like a sweaty, abandoned subway train at three in the morning that's haunted by an evil little girl.

That makes me think: Penn Station would make a sublime FPS/Survival Horror level.

Also: I seriously wish Valve would lend some of their artists/writers to Monolith and Crytek, cause both FEAR and Far Cry struck me as excellent games that just could have been mind-blowing with a little help.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, you shouldn't get either one. You should hold out for a couple weeks until the release of Contact, which looks like the best thing I'll play all year.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly true enough. you could also borrow my copy of contact when it comes out, or my copy of dragon quarter right now.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about getting every awesome new release as soon as it comes out. Good games are good forever.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
To Matt: You'd probably enjoy RPGs if you make it a higher priority to recieve enjoyment out of them than to finish them.

If the main point of the game is to tell a story, then why wouldn't finishing them be a priority?
If I am not having fun I am not going to finish them anyways.

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact certainly seems very solid as far as its art direction goes. I also like how they're aiming to use the DS in subtle fashions. Grasshopper Manufacture have been better clever about their use of controls in the past.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
That makes me think: Penn Station would make a sublime FPS/Survival Horror level.

Also: I seriously wish Valve would lend some of their artists/writers to Monolith and Crytek, cause both FEAR and Far Cry struck me as excellent games that just could have been mind-blowing with a little help.
Not enough train stations in Condemned and HL2?

The train station is becoming as hackneyed as the mine cart or lava world.

I'm looking forward to playing FEAR because I enjoyed Condemned.

I think that the presumption that RPGs main purpose is to tell a story is questionable.

I did spend about two solid days over the weekend playing Enchanted Arms. It's not bad. Definitely a two weekend rental though, I'm more than halfway through it, and it seems like all the achievements are related solely to the main game (not to mention that they all have exactly the same icon...talk about half-assed).
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a lot harder to really fall behind these days than it was a generation of games back, or even two.

I mean, I'm barely even considering buying a next gen system right now, but there will probably be games for at least the PS2 for quite some time now, especially since I play imports-- the Saturn, for example, was supported pretty strongly in Japan LONG after it died in the US. But despite all that I don't feel left behind. With places like TGQ out here (something of the spiritual successor to Usenet from the 90's), I feel pretty in the loop even if the subject is NES games. In short: I think the idea that you're falling behind if you don't have the latest and greatest is something of a marketing construct.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

well, i can see that with fear (there are a few areas that should have been tightened a bit, though the office segment is largely golden; the end is kind of absurd once the whole alma thing gets out of hand) but with farcry? nah. farcry is its own beast, a monument to the 1980s cold war one man against the world type movie, and despite its teeth-destroying difficulty near the end, i cannot say i think valve's hand could have helped them much here. valve may be very good at many things - like creating the best game of the last five years - but kitsch is not their thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
farcry is its own beast, a monument to the 1980s cold war one man against the world type movie, and despite its teeth-destroying difficulty near the end, i cannot say i think valve's hand could have helped them much here. valve may be very good at many things - like creating the best game of the last five years - but kitsch is not their thing.
Farcry is unique and alone. Was the difficulty on the PC and last gen consoles different than on the 360? I found it not terribly difficult at the end. I mean, I had to retry areas, but it wasn't something that I thought was well in excess of my abilities, like some games. Otherwise I would have quit in the middle.

Probably my biggest complaint is that for a while, the game was a lot like Splinter Cell 2 (good thing) then it turned into another zombie game. Condemned did that to me too. Oh, and Half Life 2. I'm getting a little tired of every game that I play turning into Resident Evil, and I think it's starting to affect my judgment.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
Oh, and Half Life 2. I'm getting a little tired of every game that I play turning into Resident Evil, and I think it's starting to affect my judgment.

To be fair HL2 was set up before hand to do the survival horror bit (headcrabs aren't new) and it is only one part of the game. The game throws so many different parts at you that one in the first half (which happens to be one of the better parts of the game) is not "turning into Resident Evil."

Also, RE games are terrible to control (barring 4).

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the very end of farcry was really stupid difficult, namely starting from the waterfall jump part.

but yeah, ravenholm is mint. that's why i like fear - its ravenholm + nova prospekt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
To be fair HL2 was set up before hand to do the survival horror bit (headcrabs aren't new) and it is only one part of the game. The game throws so many different parts at you that one in the first half (which happens to be one of the better parts of the game) is not "turning into Resident Evil."

Also, RE games are terrible to control (barring 4).
Haven't played HL, so I kind of assumed that was part of the "mythology," but nonetheless, there you have it. I've just exited the prison, and I spent the part of the weekend that I spent playing games playing Enchanted Arms. I'll get back to HL2 tonight, probably.

I think you just brought up another discussion there as well. The "play diversity" in HL2. I liked the dune buggy part (because it mixed it up, and not by just adding a driving level into the game, but by letting you interact with the vehicle with the GG and so forth). I didn't much like the water buggy part (I like it a little more after the dune buggy part for some reason, but when I first got into it, it felt like the motorcycle sections in Tomb Raider: Legend).

When is play diversity good, and when is it just a lame-ass attempt by some producer to tick off something else on his checklist (oh, hey, we're doing a first/third person shooter, and we've been doing too much shooting, we need to mix this up with a poorly conceived and out of place driving level with crappy controls).
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth mentioning that FEAR multiplayer is free now. http://www.joinfear.com/main. I haven't installed it yet because I'm pretty sure it'll kill my computer, but if there will be a TGQ killfest anytime soon I won't have a choice.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
It's worth mentioning that FEAR multiplayer is free now. http://www.joinfear.com/main. I haven't installed it yet because I'm pretty sure it'll kill my computer, but if there will be a TGQ killfest anytime soon I won't have a choice.

If the 360 and PC version are on the same servers then there will be soon!

Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always cringe when an RPG or some other game (Jak 2, I'm looking at you) tries desperately to fill the 'minigame' quota. I mean, I've read reviews which consider the "minigame factor" on an equal level with the other tiers of judgement. "Well, it seems to be in line...but are the minigames good?"

When it just feels like they gave one of the peon programmers free-reign for some of the minigames, I think it destroys the feel of the game.

Also, fuck card collecting. Fuck it.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When is play diversity good, and when is it just a lame-ass attempt by some producer to tick off something else on his checklist

Pretty much when it's well integrated with the rest of the game. If you don't notice that it's a game within a game they've probably done a good job.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. "Holistic design" is pretty much a catch-all for when a design decision is poor or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: