The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo DS: Cracked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giampi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Nintendo DS: Cracked Reply with quote

So, as I'm sure you've all read on the front page of Insert Credit, people are finally starting to crack the DS and making the dream of developing homebrew DS games just one step closer. I don't know how many of you were expecting this; I was...sort of. I'm still waiting for someone to crack the DS Wi-Fi capabilities and use the sucker as a browser. That's just my opinion, though. Now you try!
Karii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing about cracking the DS is seeing how they take advantage of it. A browser would be fabulous, I'd really like to see some homerew games for it, perhaps even changing the color scheme of the interface. Blah, don't listen to me. I'm a girl and look at cars by how many cupholders they have. @_@
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
I'd really like to see some homerew games for it, perhaps even changing the color scheme of the interface.

Seiklus DS would kick ass. No chance in hell, but this game seems perfect for on the go entertainment. You could just have the menu (space bar map/item thing) on the bottom screen and every thing else up top.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I originally considered getting a PSP (before I found out that Makai Wars was a no-show) was the possibility of homebrew development. Now that the DS may be getting the same potential, this alters the landscape of the handheld arena quite a bit. If both systems could run emulators for, say, SNES games, then people would most likely go for the cheaper system--the DS. People pirating Nintendo's own games could be the Big N's strong point.
Giampi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to play GBA multiplayer using wireless would also contribute to that quite a bit, I think.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
One of the reasons I originally considered getting a PSP (before I found out that Makai Wars was a no-show) was the possibility of homebrew development. Now that the DS may be getting the same potential, this alters the landscape of the handheld arena quite a bit. If both systems could run emulators for, say, SNES games, then people would most likely go for the cheaper system--the DS. People pirating Nintendo's own games could be the Big N's strong point.

You know that GBA has had the ability to homebrew for a while? It is just not too cheap. Anyways, yea, it will probably be easier to get PSP games up and running from a consumer point (you and me, not the programmer) then DS games. The PSP has a memory stick... a normal memory stick that talks with a PC.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
You know that GBA has had the ability to homebrew for a while? It is just not too cheap. Anyways, yea, it will probably be easier to get PSP games up and running from a consumer point (you and me, not the programmer) then DS games. The PSP has a memory stick... a normal memory stick that talks with a PC.

Right, DS homebrew costs a bit more than GBA homebrew because you need a GBA Flash cartridge, but then you need to add another $20 on for a cartridge extender that uses the key from a retail DS game to "unlock" the system's capabilities..

I've actually got an early version of a game I wrote running on the GBA sitting on my flash cart right now. When I get the time I might actually finish it.

-Wes
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
[

That's a good point that I missed: accessibility. The PSP will probably be much easier for the common person to "hack" correctly than the DS will until we get some kind of Wi-Fi dealie going on. I'm speaking as one of the people who is too afraid to mod an Xbox, and I got mine for free.
Karii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Right, DS homebrew costs a bit more than GBA homebrew because you need a GBA Flash cartridge, but then you need to add another $20 on for a cartridge extender that uses the key from a retail DS game to "unlock" the system's capabilities.
-Wes

Still, even if it's 40 bucks or so (just guessing here) then it seems to me that is reasonable for being able to play many homebrew games for the price of one new gba/ds game.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I got my Flash Linker

Looks like $70 is the cheapest, but you can get smaller homebrew games (max. 192kb) to run on the GBA Movie Player.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still to early for me to decide what new system I want to buy. Just sold my GBA and all the games . . . now just waiting for a good game library on either system to get up there. Really too bad more SNES games didn't make it to the GBA. Putting games like Secret of Mana and other multiplayer games on the DS would REALLY sell the system if you ask me. The Wi-Fi thing is just ... well the potential is amazing. Can't wait to see what develops.
disneyland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The PSP has a memory stick... a normal memory stick that talks with a PC.

Next wave of PSP titles will start allowing custom soundtracks in games through the memory stick, a la Xbox hard drive. That's...something. Memory stick is such a resource for emulation, hacks, firmware updates, browsers, you name it. I anticipate some very interesting mainstream PSP activity this time next year.

I just watched Predator widescreen (original) on the plane yesterday, then I played Darkstalkers and Lumines for an hour before landing. Seriously - I do love my PSP. But it'll probably be the DS I'm holding on flights this fall.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Just sold my GBA and all the games . . . now just waiting for a good game library on either system to get up there.

What in god's name you going to do while you are waiting? You may die of boredom!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: