The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pokemon Gold...for the first time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I would guess I've logged about 1000 hours in all on Blue (split over three games), and about 200-300 on Silver (one game), but only 80 on Ruby (two games) and I'm pretty much out of things to do. I guess I'm supposed to be training up a battle tower team, but my only personal objective was to set up a bitchass hidden base for my friends to look for...

Maybe it's because I've got so few people to trade and battle with? I can think of three friends who have a GBA Pokemon game, and we pretty much live at opposite corners of the country. I knew lots more people who played Blue (even my girlfriend, who completed her pokedex before me), and we all saw each other at school every day.

I hope they rethink their formula for the DS games. And I hope they let you trade Pokemon with your GBA cart Wink

Persona-sama wrote:
So, shall we now discuss what a shitty game Pokemon Colosseum is?

By far my biggest problem with Stadium and Colosseum is that your pokemon never really interact. There's no fucking excuse for why they can't show you one combined shot of your Butterfree lasering the shit out of a Snorlax. Ideally, I'd like to see them moving round in the ring, and moves like Double Team having a lasting visible effect, but maybe that's just too complicated?

Aside from the actual battles, Colosseum just doesn't feel like a Pokemon game. Especially in the GBA games (probably because of the richer colours), you can get a real sense of wandering off the beaten track and getting lost in the backwoods - like the little trails around the weather centre. That feeling of being alone with nature is one of the fundamental ideas behind Pokemon - learning the best spots to catch certain species and so on.

The catching system was similarly annoying. Especially how all the interesting pokemon were always male! It drove me crazy when I realised I wouldn't be able to breed up a team of Eevees.

I quite liked the visual styles of a lot of Colosseum's environments, but it was quite insubstantial. Most of the towns looked really good, but there just wasn't enough to do there. I liked the battle mountain thing as well. But that's pretty much all I liked.

No, wait... I also liked getting a free memory card.
Kokomo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl; most likely gonna be 2d, right?
Legal Step

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can hope
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Colosseum (and Stadium too) isn't so much the lack of interaction, but more the pacing. Everything, from the story, to the battles, to the various parts of the interface happens so slowly that it makes the game less exciting than it needs to be. The 2D Pokemon games have the perfect balance between being pretty and keeping the player involved, but the console titles just don't keep the player's mind busy enough.

Colosseum also sucks because they got rid of all of the streamlined item management tools.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battling in 3d is the most boring thing ever. Maybe if they actually made contact it'd be more interesting. The problem is I just don't want to watch these drawn out moves. I rarely ever play witih battle animations in the gameboy games, don't make me watch them.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance that I could distract everyone to get Yu-Gi-Oh! opinions? I mean, it is kinda the same thing only... more blatent right?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kokomo wrote:
Battling in 3d is the most boring thing ever. Maybe if they actually made contact it'd be more interesting. The problem is I just don't want to watch these drawn out moves.

Imagine a combination of Pokemon and Kessen...

Command armies of Pokemon in real-time and defeat your opponent! With some 10+ battles going on at the same time, you could have a friend help control the action. Going online would allow for teams of 8 to compete against one another with 100+ pokemon running around doing things. Maybe more, depending on the engine.

WOW!
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Is there any chance that I could distract everyone to get Yu-Gi-Oh! opinions? I mean, it is kinda the same thing only... more blatent right?

I'm really not a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan in any way at all. Part of what I like about Pokemon is the character designs, and the ones in YGO are (to me) just heinous. I've never been able to get past the ugly-ass look of the game.
Blazehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yu-Gi-Oh, eh? Hm. I'm a little bit in to that, yeah. I'm not a master "duelist" or any of that, but me and my friends do play from time to time - and usually I'm the one at the receiving end of the ass-kicking.

It's also the only card game I ever could be bothered learning. Magic, even Pokemon:TGC, all seemed too.. I dunno, bland, or complex, or something. On a whim I tried out a Yu-Gi-Oh GBA game and got hooked well enough to learn the mechanics of the game. I still play it every now and then.

Take that as you will.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yu-go-oh makes no sense to me at all. I have a few of the cards because every time a Japanese kid sees an American they pawn off all of their useless English Yu-go-oh cards on them and every time an American kid finds out that I know Japanese they pawn off all of their useless Japanese Yu-go-oh cards.

One day my friends and I bought a couple of starter decks and unsuccessfully attempted to play through a round. It felt like they just threw in a bunch of existing card game rules, let them simmer, and then came out with a heap of nonsense. I got one of the PS2 games thinking it would help me make sense of the game and it didn't do anything (but I do have almost every card in both the GameBoy Pokemon card game and the Neo Geo Pocket SVC Card).

So yeah, I'm an idiot and Yu-gi-oh sucks.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yea, that is about how I feel about the game right now (YGO). It is just an excuse for a manga/anime to be based off of and have a card game. It really does not offer much new. It also highly supports buying more decks as you cannot win with poor decks and good tactic such as some other card games stive to do.
Karii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
It also highly supports buying more decks as you cannot win with poor decks and good tactic such as some other card games stive to do.

Cardboard crack anyone?

Honestly, that's most collectible card games (ccgs), not just YGO. Money decks are the only way to win anymore. Even Magic.

Tabletop gaming is expensive, and ccgs moreso. Players are better off buying non-collectible card games.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only card collecting game I've played and enjoyed is PSO ep. 3. It's like a beginner's card game using the skin of PSO to wean you off of.

Otherwise, I'm not really into the whole card game scene. It's all a bit over my head for me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
Honestly, that's most collectible card games (ccgs), not just YGO. Money decks are the only way to win anymore. Even Magic.

Magic did not start out like that Sad

Now I am sad.
Blazehedgehog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Well, yea, that is about how I feel about the game right now (YGO). It is just an excuse for a manga/anime to be based off of and have a card game. It really does not offer much new. It also highly supports buying more decks as you cannot win with poor decks and good tactic such as some other card games stive to do.

Well, not exactly. Yu-Gi-Oh, as it is NOW, might only exist for the card game, but initially, Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't about cards at all. It began as a manga about a general "king of games" sort of thing. When they got to a segment where they did a chapter on a Magic-Style card game, response was tremendous. Eventually, over time, the Card Game became the staple of the series, and attempts to steer the Yu-Gi-Oh AWAY from the card theme (Dungeon Dice Monsters, for instance) just did not work.

Folks like the card game. I don't think it's half bad myself. The starter decks you can buy usually give you enough cards to tough a game out well enough. They give you all the basic stuff, and a few essential cards. Granted, I've never actually boughten a single card for Yu-Gi-Oh in my entire life. Usually I play something like Yu-Gi-Oh Virtual Desktop or the GBA games, where cards are essentially "free". Works better that way, too.

I do have a ton of Pokemon Cards, though. The year they debuted that's pretty much all my family got me for christmas and my birthday, 'cause they were cheap. I must have 300+ pokemon cards in a huge box under my bed.

And I've never played a single game with them.
Karii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazehedgehog wrote:
I must have 300+ pokemon cards in a huge box under my bed.

And I've never played a single game with them.

We played pokemon for a little bit about 2 years ago. It was ok until a grown man yelled at me for not giving his wife my foil Kangashkhan. That was just a bit too ridiculous.

I attempted to make a Pokemon hentai deck - it never won, but it was hilarious. Had Likitungs, Tangelas, anything with tentacles really, and Crabby as the 'crabs' joke....

I need to find that deck. Very Happy
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona?! OMG
Blazehedgehog

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Emerald is out in English now.

Since the features it contained never were really hammered out in this topic (as far as I saw, been awhile since I read through it), it contains the following - the return of the Phone Call feature - here called "Match Call" (which will even let you rematch Gym Leaders), more dual trainer battles, seven "Battle Frontiers" which provide fresh and original challenges after the main game is cleared (such as using random rental Pokemon or Pokemon you cannot control), and you fight both Team Aqua and Magma at the same time, allowing the capture of Kyogre, Groudon and the headline Pokemon for Emerald, Rayquaza.

Interesting stuff.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't know though. I'm really disapointed with how little was different from Pokemon to Pokemon before that I don't think I will ever play another.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play Devil's Advocate and ask it. How much is different from Dragon Quest to Dragon Quest?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'll play Devil's Advocate and ask it. How much is different from Dragon Quest to Dragon Quest?

-Wes

I have only ever played Dragon Quest 1 to completion and have bought DQ7, but did not finish it.

Anyways, the question is gameplay here? Not much then. Very similar. But unlike Pokemon you have a different world to explore, a slightly different set of functions, and a new story.

So yes, DQ to DQ you have the same mechanics basically (they are what bring you back) but you get to use those in a different setting. I think Nintendo is too scared to bring Pokemon into a new setting, and it really needs that.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there have been different settings for Pokemon, you've just been playing the same version of the game. Here's the breakdown:

Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed, and LeafGreen = Kanto (FireRed and LeafGreen add 9 islands after completion)
Gold, Silver, Crystal = Johto
Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald = Hoenn
Colosseum = Orre

And the stories and subquests are different between each of the games, but they do share the same overarching badge gathering task. It's also important to note that each of the regions contains different Pokemon.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... just how different are these areas? And by this I mean the layout and the order in which you collect the pokemon. I don't want to collect the same exact pokemon in the same order in the same levels in the same order... if that made sense.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layouts are completely different and the order that you collect Pokemon is different, but in a way that feels somewhat similar. You always start out with a choice of three starter pokemon then move on to an area full of cuteish weakish pokemon with powerful evolutions, then on to average pokemon with no evolutions or high level evolutions, then on to powerful Pokemon with even more powerful evolutions. But the actual pokemon you get are different between the games.

There are 150 in RBY
100 new ones in GSC
and 135 new ones in RSE

There's some overlap, but the type combinations and evolutions are different enough that you rarely feel like you're just collecting the same character in a different body.

If you want to see just how different Pokemon can be I would suggest Pokemon Gold, Silver, or Crystal, but you just might get buried in how deep the game is. You truly need a strategy guide for that mug.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... damn you guys... DAMN YOOOOOOUUUUU!!!

I WILL NOT GIVE IN!

*Did you know that pokemon have their own 'DNA' in a sense....
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Persona?! OMG

It's my brother!!

Blast, this computer doesn't show the images for this forum. That means replying is as easy as clicking on invisible buttons!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some unknown reason... I may get Pokemon Emerald tonight. God help us all.
Karii

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rocks. Rocks rocks rocks.
What Poke will you be choosing as your first?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: