The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pokemon Gold...for the first time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Pokemon Gold...for the first time Reply with quote

So this morning I dusted off my old purple game boy color, dug the used Pokemon Gold cartridge out my drawer, I purchase a month or so ago, and started a brand new game. I never played Gold, but already I like it. Apparently at this stage of the game Pokeballs are in short supply and the professor has some kind of emergency. I believe it involves the jerky kid who I had to battle after meeting Mr. Pokemon...it is a great little game.

My timing is probably horrible to do this though because right now the internet is waged is a battle to the death over DS or PSP and soon many americans will be savoring their fresh ports of various EA and Activision games on Sony's new 250.00 monster. I feel like a rebel playing a game with 16bit? graphics with llittle squished characters and a slightly primitive machine. I hope to finish this game before Emerald comes out...I don't see why not.

Oh yeah and I started off with that little fire Pokemon, it's a girl so I didn't give it a nickname for fear of sounding gay or confusing its gender...if it was a boy I might have picked Billy to honor Tim.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is as good a place as any to announce that my Pokemon rival is named Timmy, and based on a certain person that many of us know...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokemon Gold...for the first time Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
I feel like a rebel playing a game with 16bit?

8bit I belive. Anyways, yea I almost thought that starting a new pokemon game would be cool. I have debated on getting the GBA pokemon... but I understand there are bugs that you have to download something for. That confuses the hell out of me to the point of not wanting to get involved.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you speak of is the berry problem with Ruby and Saphire. Nintendo patched it up in a variety of ways. One via the pokemonbox which is really a steal at 20.00, with pokemon coliseum(getting Jirachi from the bonus disc) and the other being getting Fire Red or Leaf Green and trading with Ruby or Saphire.

The berry problem basically made it impossible to grow berries after a certain period of time, but the exact nature of the bug eluded me.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I really have no desire to get Poke Stadium. Is there a non bugged version of a GBA game? You seem to indicate that Red or Leaf are bug free...
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. They are fine and the bug isn't a big deal in Ruby or Saphire either. It deosn't affect gameplay. I just went searching for Colliseum and apparently it is tough to come by these days.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... would you recommend any of these game? (The GBA ones).
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah get regular Red, or Fire Red...or if you can find Gold and Silver get them. Right now I'm on a quest for all the Pokemon games. Pokemon and GT4...that's all I need and Dynasty Warriors.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your opinion of the new Pokemon game coming out? The title eludus me, but it's something green.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is the difference between Fire Red and Leaf Green? Or Ruby and Saphire for that matter. I only have the Pokemon Yellow Pikachu one.
ajutla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pokemon, don't get me wrong, but if you're not ten years old, there isn't a difference.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
What the hell is the difference between Fire Red and Leaf Green? Or Ruby and Saphire for that matter. I only have the Pokemon Yellow Pikachu one.

Unless I'm mistaken, Fire Red and Leaf Green where the re-releases of the original pokemon games, and the only difference between those two where that only certain creatures could be captured in each title. But they where both still the same game, meaning you still run through the same scenarios, just with different pokemons. The actual names of these things are escaping me, but in the first forest that you come across in both games, you could get a Caterpee[?] in the 'green' version, but in the 'Red' version you could catch a beedrill[?]. 'Yellow Pikachu' is the combination of both the 'Red' and 'Green' versions. You could add all of the pokemon to your library(the original 151) with just that game, and not have to do all the trading with friends and what not.

Talking about pokemon has unearth some unwanted memories, like the Yugioh craze that I've recovered from.
That's all I have to say about that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it like, "Restart Pokemon" month or something? In the chat room I frequent, we all just started up new games of Fire Red and are sort of racing each other to the finish.

The differences between them all... basically, yeah, are Pokemon. There are about 15 or so Pokemon exclusive to each version of the game, so the "gotta catch'em all" mentality means you'll have to trade with a friend or, at the very least, own two gameboys and two versions of Pokemon.

At first I thought Shaper ment the differences between Fire/Leaf and Red/Blue, in which case they added a whole bunch of sidequests after you beat the Elite Four where you can catch R/S Pokemon. They also changed a couple of puzzles in the main quest.

The only unwanted memories I have from the Pokemon craze is the fact that there are so many people out there who are willing to hate something just because it's popular. I don't know how many people I've met who have told me that Pokemon is "gay" and for "kids" when they've never actively played any of the games or even attempted to understand what it was all about. (Or they've only seen the show, which really is a horrible first impression.)

Quote:
What's your opinion of the new Pokemon game coming out? The title eludus me, but it's something green.

Emerald. Sounds pretty interesting. It almost sounds like it could be a sequel in itself. Apparently it's just R/S except... they added tons and tons of new areas you can visit. Battle Stadiums or something, and other stuff.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gold/Silver generation were the best Pokemon games.

I say this because with the current generations of Pokemon - they're missing the point. They go about improving the graphics, tinkering with types of Pokemon, and add only redundant changes to the frame that was established in the first Red/Blue/Green games. It's like J-RPGs or strategy RPGs, only adding upon what's been established without an understanding of why certain things were first used or created. The current Pokemon staff is confused and even afraid to improve anything G/S established.

Why?
Because G/S created a Pokemon world with CONTEXT.
Gold and Silver only improved aspects of the original games that helped develop an actual sense of a "world."

First, they added the element of time in the game. With time, players got a different experience of the world. Depending on one's sleeping habits, one would either only encounter diurnial creatures or nocturnal ones. Because of this, the monsters also gained context themselves - they were no longer prey that were dumped into a grassy field waiting for players to abuse and enslave. Now they were actually creatures of the environment, doing their own activities at their own pace. I can still remember my intial shock when I was headbutting a tree at night to find items only to encounter a sleeping crow in battle! And then discovering that Eevee had new evolutions exclusive to what time of the day it was when it reached a certain level - I still remember battling my friend at school, completely losing all my Pokemon except for my Espeon. When I finally threw it out into battle, I remember my friend's initial shock... and then laughter. And then he pulled out his Umbreon and Faint Attack-ed me to death. That sleepless bastard...

In addition to just the cycle of night and day, a weekly calendar system was established. This allowed for daily special events at locations and cities players would otherwise never visit again. I would never bike down that useless underground passage again if it weren't for those weekly special swapmeet stores with low, low prices. Even old cities like Pallet Town got new meaning when I could fly down there every Saturday and get one of my Pokemon a beautiful makeover from Gary/Blue/Green's sister May, provided I make it down there before noon.

Second, to add to the personality of the monsters, all the pokemon gained genders as well. They could now breed and produce another generation, giving the player the ability to take their favorite battling slaves and create an even stronger breed to tame and train anew.

The game also introduced "shiny" pokemon - variations of traditional Pokemon except differently colored and also with a special sparkle animation before battle. This encouraged players to keep training their monsters by battling various grass fields, hoping to encounter and capture one of these rare monsters. (There was only about a 1/58600 chance of seeing one, or something ridiculously absurd like that.) Hell, I know I wouldn't have otherwise raised a Milktank if it weren't for that one encounter, in that moonlit grassy field full of Meowths, when it popped out of nowhere, sparkling, and Rollouted right in my face.

To also encourage battling in the wild, the game also introduced a Pokemon virus, called "Pokerus," that doubled the experience gained from battle by any Pokemon who had the virus. The virus could only be spread if a player caught a Pokemon that contained the virus and once a Pokemon was afflicted with it, after a week a Pokemon would gain immunity to its effects. It was like a treat for power levelers and those who liked to capture multiples of the same Pokemon.

Third, the game added a cellphone to the mix. A CELLPHONE. The player could now record any willing NPC's phone number and dial him/her up whenever the player got bored. I mean, hell, I could call my Mom and ask how much money I had in the bank. I could talk to Bill and ask him if my Pokemon box had any spaces left. I could hit up a fisherman and ask him if any rare Pokemon were swimming by lately. I could even gossip with girls to see when the rarest sales were going down! NPCs had a purpose now besides saying useless dialogue. And if I was ever bored, I could always count on calling up young trainers and asking them to battle me again (and their Pokemon actually leveled up the longer you hadn't seen them!). I mean, they actually seemed like PEOPLE now. That's certainly something.

Finally, the game now had a history. Everyone played the original Red/Blue/Yellow/Magenta etc. games - everyone knew about Ash (Red) and Gary (Blue)'s rivalry, the pathetic terrorist attempts by Team Rocket, and going down that long Indigo Plateau to ultimately fight the Elite Four. Now Goid and Silver let you go back and see what time had done - you could visit your original hometown/island after beating the Elite Four for the first time. Characters changed: some gym leaders moved on to become members of the Elite Four (Koga, you sassy ninja, you) while others trained harder and improved their own Pokemon lineups (Brock, where did you find an Omastar?!). Places changed too: volcanic erruptions sunk islands (Poor Blaine!) while other towns gained new skyscrapers (non-mafia run this time!)

And then... that final battle inside the deepest, most difficult cave in the entire game. The battle where there wasn't any need for words because you and your opponent couldn't exchange any if you wanted tol. Maaaaaaaaaaan!

Shitt, man. This game did more than any Pokemon game does now. The new iterations completely missed the point of improving the game, ignoring everything that added layers to the gameplay experience and instead opting to do only different variations of established things just with better graphics. I mean, what's the point of having time in the game if it doesn't effect anything at all? Why bother to make 100 new Pokemon when they're not even defined or established in a believable world? Why bother making a sequel to a game only to cut off all ties with the previously established games altogether?

It's just.. meaningless.²

So go blow off your old Gameboy Colors³, busters, and plug in that Pokemon Gold or Silver. You guys need to re-experience the genius that Satoshi Tajiri packed into those games.

-------------------
² - Actually, the new games do add many useful improvements to the series. The problem is the lack of focus - the game is working too hard to shift the importance of everything to the Pokemon themselves. They added the elements of Personality and special innate abilities to the monsters, made nearly every monster in the game an unusual type mix (such as Grass/Flying), and added many more options and stats to the battles and battling moves. However, by going down this route, the games loses its believable world and the overall result is a empty and shallow battling simulator.

³- Gameboy Color, not Gameboy Advances. GBAs emulate GBC games strangely, making the game run slower. Also, the game was designed for the GBC - the graphics and the entire experience feels better on it. Trust me, use a GBC.
--------------------

Fuck, this turned into an article.
I also started getting way more into what I was writing half way through it. If I go through it all again, adding more content and making it flow better, this might actually be interesting to read. Holy hell!

JUST PLAY THE GAME, GODDAMN YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu talk to much... but you make me want to play the GBC Gold/Silver games. Go you.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missions is comprete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
all kinds of stuff

You're right you know.

After a Poke-hiatus, I bought Ruby/Sapphire for me and my wife. The earlier games had been/still are the only RPG that she can stand, so I though it would be fun.

But hold on. The games look nice but Persona-sama, you've hit the nail on the head. They've taken a step back from G/S. It makes no sense, and I can only assume they were rushed to release, possibly for some holiday or other. I had been trying to put to words why we put them down months ago and haven't returned to them.

Bleh.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with most of what Persona's said.

Ok, that's not true. I agree with it on some level. That stuff was cool at the time, but when I go back and play Pokemon G/S/C now I just get confused and end up getting frustrated instead of having fun. In many ways it seems like they lost track of what's so fun about pokemon. What is inherently fun about having different pokemon during the night than there are during the day? What's inherently fun about having to play the game every Wednesday so that you could get the extra secret fun stuff? It's almost like the game was created specifically to sell the strategy guide...

Pokemon R/S/E on the other hand, takes all of the stuff that worked in G/S/C, disregarding anything that could be considered an inconvenience and adding in new things that actually go closer to what the core of Pokemon is. The berry mixing and beauty contests are the most controvercial addition, but it's optional and those who choose to do it are given a higher sense of ownership to their favorite pokemon.

So yeah, I never considered the graphics to be the main draw of R/S/E, I always considered it be a step towards streamlining what Pokemon is really about. Can you imagine what R/S/E would have been like if they had just made them more complicated versions of G/S/C? That would have been enough to make me give up Pokemon forever...

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
GBAs emulate GBC games strangely, making the game run slower.

Whoa!

For reals?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In need (dire need) of a usb flash drive, while in Best Buy, I just happen to see Pokemon Fire Red. Even though I was recommended against it... I still got it because of this thread.
bastards
Blazehedgehog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Wes a little. I played a little bit of Pokemon Gold when it was released and it was just... totally overwhelming. The World was so open, I truely felt lost. I had no idea where I was, or where I was going. I was just following a road seeing where it would lead me. I stumbled upon the Unown Ruins after about four hours and I went, "You know what? That's enough of this for me."

I haven't played it since. The game felt so... huge. And then I hear that you can go back and visit the entire Pokemon R/B/G/Y region... it's... incredible, really. Ruby/Sapphire... those felt a lot more focused. I was rarely lost. I knew where I was going. And I liked that.
nICO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the original Red a bunch when it came out, but I don't recall ever beating it. It was just too bland or something...my memory is hazy. But I got Silver the day after it came out, partly on an impulse buy, and went all the way to the true final boss seemingly without looking up from the screen. Something about Silver clicked with me so I'm tending to agree with Persona. I actually thought that the world was more focused and easier to traverse than R/B/Y, partly because each area actually looked different (even if just slightly) than others. Also, I'm not a completist or anything, so I thought the night/day, days of week feature was really cool.

I can't really contribute to the conversation though since I've never touched a GBA Pokemon.
Karii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama makes me want to go and buy a copy of Pokemon Gold orSilver too. I think, however due to lack of money from buying Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, I will dust off my copy of Yellow that was given to me. (although I will most likely end up with Silver or Gold in a matter of days, I know myself too well)

The only thing in the Pokemon series that truly irritated me was the addition of the berry mixing and the beauty contests. When I went to explain these concepts to someone that had not played it they felt as though it was a lot of extra work for a small reward. I tend to agree. I NEVER liked up just to berry blend and I went on a tangent of feeding my Gulpin as many of those blocks as possible just to win ONE contest. I got so sidetracked that I ground to a complete halt in the game and sort of burned out on Pokemon for a while.

As for the burn out, Pokemon is like Magic: The Gathering - or any CCG really. You play obsessively (sp?), burn out, quit, and then go back later to do it all again. @_@
Legal Step

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona that was beautiful.
Karii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jusr reserved Pokemon Emerald...I am so weak.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
I jusr reserved Pokemon Emerald...I am so weak.

I should have waited a bit and done that. I am not as impressed with Fire Red as I thought I would be. As of right now it feels just like Pokemon Yellow did .
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair it is essentially a remake of Pokemon Yellow...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Well, to be fair it is essentially a remake of Pokemon Yellow...

-Wes

Well, yea. But I mean... seriously.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually is a remake of Pokemon Red. And Blue was really called Green in Japan so when the remade them for GBA they renamed it Leaf Green here. I guess Fire Red and Water Blue would have worked also, but I don't work for Nintendo so I can't explain their logic.
Karii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Emerald green is a remake of Ruby/Sapphire without the berry bug, right?
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and you can get both the legendary pokes...you know the poster children of said games. Plus I think they made it easier for you get Rayquaza you can get him in a tournament or something.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerald takes place a few years after Ruby/Sapphire, too. Not that it willl change any of the events inside the game though.

I heard that they added some other features. Some sort of expanded Battle Tower, more trainers to battle, and.. some other useless stuff.

For the Crystal version (Gold and Silver's bastard offspring) they at least added a useful feature that warranted a new release: online play. If you hooked up your GBC with an adaptor, you could plug it into your cell phone and battle online.

As for Emerald.. well, yeah. You've got more ingame enemies.

Edit:
I just remembered, the difference with Emerald and Ruby/Sapphire is that Emerald will basically contain the events that happen in both Ruby and Sapphire and you'll see it from both points of view. Something like that. :roll:
Legal Step

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold is so good sometimes I'm at a loss for words. At times it kicks my ass too. The third gym leader has KO'd me 3 times already.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading issue 1 of TGQ with a grin plastered across my face. Now I come here and find out you're all Pokemon fans. I'd cry tears of joy if I wasn't so masculine.

I got Blue on the day of release (took my gameboy into school and bought the game and a fresh set of batteries on the way home) and was so impressed that I had my copy of Silver imported from the States when it came out there (about 4 or 5 months ahead of the rest of the UK). I held out on getting Ruby because I was waiting for the inevitable "special edition", but when they announced Fire Red and Leaf Green, I made the jump. THEN they announced Emerald. Bastards.

For me, nothing can beat Red/Blue for its raw feelings. I'm sure most people walked into that first battle against Brock and shat themselves when they saw blow after blow bounce off that Geodude with barely a scratch. Similarly, you pressed A with a swaggering sense of genius when challenging Lt. Surge to battle your specially-trained Dugtrio. I remember spending countless hours searching the Safari Zone for a Kangaskhan (cheering with joy when I finally bagged one in the middle of a physics lesson) and I felt my eyes grow to the size of dinner plates when I first reached the end of the Cerulean Cave and came face to face with Mewtwo ("What level?!")

Has anyone ever finished the game using only six Pokemon? I think I tried to do it on Ruby, but I ended up catching things like Groudon anyway (can't... resist... rares...)
Legal Step

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way. I forgot in Gold you have to switch boxes, after they fill up, to get pokemon. That's kiind of a bitch. Still I'm making ground on catching them. It seems as though this game is tougher than any other pokemon game I've played. The Pokemon are harder to catch too.
Karii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone ever finished the game using only six Pokemon? I think I tried to do it on Ruby, but I ended up catching things like Groudon anyway (can't... resist... rares...)

I always end up almost doing that as I am lazy and I never want to make the effort to level up the new ones to the ones currently in my party. It always backfires tho and a specific gym leader will halt my progress in the game. (much like my expierence with Sapphire)
Kokomo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest contribution that Ru/Sa have given Pokemon would be the box system. Greatest fucking boxs you could ever ask for.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the pokemon box, the 20.00 gamecube storage system, is pretty cool. It can hold something like 1800 Pokes, but you can only transfer from Ruby/Saphire or Fire Red/Leaf Green.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Also the pokemon box, the 20.00 gamecube storage system, is pretty cool. It can hold something like 1800 Pokes, but you can only transfer from Ruby/Saphire or Fire Red/Leaf Green.

And it comes with a memory card!

I'm also betting that it will work with Emerald and the updated Yellow/Blue if they end up coming out with one.

-Wes
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step, who may be invaded by the other Metroid wrote:
Gold is so good sometimes I'm at a loss for words. At times it kicks my ass too. The third gym leader has KO'd me 3 times already.

I always thought Gold was easier than the rest. I'm playing through Sapphire right now, abusing Zigzagoon's item pickup ability to its fullest extent.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange you mention that I just started a new game of Saphire today. I named my dude Ash to keep my Pokemon experience pure.
teh brock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I read about this discussion on Legal Step's LJ and had to give it a look over.

Pokemon Blue came out when I was in sixth grade, maybe the end of fifth. Either way, I was a squirt (and I used Squirtle. No pun intended, I'm just reviewing my post before I submit it), and ruined the game for myself when, with my eventual discovery of the intarweb, I abused the "Rare Candy glitch." For what it's worth, though, it compelled me to use my giant brick GameBoy, even as the LCD screen slowly ate away faster than the batteries.

I think I agree completely with Persona Sama on Pokemon Gold/Silver. I played that thing to ungodly lengths. I caught every single legendary creature short of Celebi, including spending hours hunting down those damn legendary dogs/cats. I think at some point I looked at my hour count, read "256," and decided to call it quits. No other game has gotten as much play from me, which I attribute either to my insane lack of a life, or the game doing something insanely right (a mix of both is likely the answer).

While Sapphire does a number of good things, it doesn't seem to do them particularly well. It's not that it's a bad game, it just seems to lack any reason for the player to go forward. I like the idea of bizarre type combinations. I like the idea of a big world. But the whole thing lacks any real incentive to play it. Maybe there's something I'm missing, or something I'm forgetting. Sure, I can send my Pokemon to beauty contests or play around with berries, but that isn't anything integral to the gameplay as a whole. Gold demanded that I work around my clock to fit its schedule. There were contests I could only participate in certain days of the week. Hell, it had the original (albeit truncated) version of the original Pokemon island in the game. That was the kind of nigh-OCD, addictive additions I wanted, and Sapphire just seemed to drop the ball on that.

I don't know. Maybe I need to give it another chance.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teh brock wrote:

Nah, you don't.

Just like its television series, I'm afraid Pokemon is falling into formulaic crap. This is the Nintendo difference!
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
teh brock wrote:

Nah, you don't.

Just like its television series, I'm afraid Pokemon is falling into formulaic crap. This is the Nintendo difference!

As much as my Nintendo Fanboy genes want to protest, I unfortunately have to agree. Playing Pokemon Sapphire felt like a replay of Pokemon Gold, except without the feeling that everything was "new". The world is different yet I still feel like I'm treading on the same ground, fighting the same trainers, doing the same thing over again. It's not that it's a bad game, it just feels like one I've already played. Why couldn't they have given us some other goal instead of becoming the "Pokemon Master" by acquiring badges? I'm sure that the fanboys would freak if you could, say, choose to play as Team Rocket and steal other trainers' Pokemon to get the cuddly creatures, but Nintendo's promise to innovate should go beyond planting berries.
Karii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Persona-sama wrote:
teh brock wrote:

Nah, you don't.

I'm sure that the fanboys would freak if you could, say, choose to play as Team Rocket and steal other trainers' Pokemon to get the cuddly creatures, but Nintendo's promise to innovate should go beyond planting berries.

That is what I have always wanted to do in Pokemon. In one of the games Rocket actually asks you if you want to join, but they get an automatic no. Hell with that! I'd love to be a part of non-threatening evil Team Rocket
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their evil knows no bounds really. They are prefectly capable of standing around and waiting for someone to show and battling them. That is a special kind of evil.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Their evil knows no bounds really. They are prefectly capable of standing around and waiting for someone to show and battling them. That is a special kind of evil.

Are you talking about Team Rocket or Nintendo? ZING!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Playing Pokemon Sapphire felt like a replay of Pokemon Gold, except without the feeling that everything was "new".

That is exactly how I felt about Fire red compared to Yellow. I quit playing on Wed night. My wife took the game over so not all is lost. I gave it a good 10 hours of my life... but no more.
teh brock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like my Pokemon Gold cart's clock is refusing to work. According to the game, it's still 7:49 on Thursday.

Well, this sucks.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:

In Japan, they're known as "The Rocket Gang." The Americans censored it because joining gangs is a completely violent and not-good-for-children activity!

But really, the Rockets in the first game were pretty evil.. they were masterminding a genetic super-monster all while conquering cities and running gambling houses! In Gold/Silver, they were pretty pathetic w/out their glorious boss Giovanni - choosing to takeover radio stations and make on-air requests to their boss to return to them.

Random Factoid: the Rival in Gold/Silver, the turtle-necked red-haired "Hirok," is the biological son of Giovanni. He was apparently abandoned after Giovanni ran from Kanto to train in the mountains, left to fight bears or something. They reveal this little factoid in Crystal - one of the Rockets mentions it after being horribly beaten.

THE MORE YOU KNOW~

So, shall we now discuss what a shitty game Pokemon Colosseum is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: