The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTFACWWMV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: WTFACWWMV Reply with quote

Huh? This came out of nowhere. Apparently Animal Crossing is going to get a movie in Japan. Strange! It really doesn't seem like the kind of license that would lend itself to a movie. I don't think Mario ever got a movie in Japan. Don't think Sonic did either.

It seems like lately Nintendo's reaching a new level of marketing presence, the kind that haven't been privy to since the Nintendo World Cup (or whatever it was called) back in the '80s. Does anyone else remember that? Did anyone see this coming?

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am flabberghasted.

ah well, at least it will give the kids something to watch.

i'd wish they would make a metroid movie though.
they had this one commercial (for fusion, i beleive) which was done in live action format which was really quite nice. alot nicer than most commercials one would normally see on the tube. if they ever do go about making such a film, i wish that they try to use puppets/animatronics rather than CG graphics all the time.
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They announced they were moving into making anime a year or two ago.

Remember how they said that people at the next Pokemon movie would be able to "capture" the new Pokemon using their DS? Wouldn't it be ace if you could take your copy of Animal Crossing and visit the town in the movie?

(Of course it wouldn't - you can't split your attention between the DS and the cinema screen - but it'd at least be "interesting")
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe at the end of the movie they could give you a code, or something.

The art is disappointingly bog-standard looking. Still, it'll be nice to see what kind of story they'll try to tell in the Animal Crossing world. I guess an Animal Crossing movie writes itself- guy moves into a new town (full of animals) many of whom are intially resistant to him and his funny human ways. Over the course of the movie, he manages to win them over with his work ethic, kind heart and immaculate interior decorating skills, and finds love where he least expects it in the form of a fellow human who has moved in next door. Who is initially resistant to him.

If I wrote it the two human children would initally try to fit in with the Animal's consumer culture, but would eventually see it for the hollow sham it is and start encouraging the animals to rise up against their capitalist opressor, Tom Nook. It ends with them living wild and free like animals did in the olden days, free from the shackles of their houses, mortgages, and material possessions. They dance around a bonfire in the village square feasting on fruit and fish (nature's bounty). At the centre of the fire, Tom Nook's blackened body slowly returns to the earth and sky.

EDIT: The story synopsis is on the website. Someone who can read Japanese should take a look at this, but for now, there's always babelfish:

'The human how you hit the village which how is hit, but strange village which lives chummily. The girl meeting of day and alone there is to there moved. In the village which the right or the left is not recognized and how hits, meeting keeps dissolving while to do part-time job, eventually the companions of the village and inside. A certain night, meeting picks up the bottle where the strange letter enters in the beach of the village. When the cover is opened, there, "as for miracle it occurs in the night of snow celebration" the message that...'

From what I can make out it sounds like they've gone down the 'establish the familiar world of the game and then introduce a foriegn element to cause conflict' route. Cop-out!
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: WTFACWWMV Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I don't think Mario ever got a movie in Japan. Don't think Sonic did either.

But here, on the other hand...

harveyJames wrote:

but strange village which lives chummily

I just love Babelfish's ability to introduce me to new adjectives through its translation.
Goal for tomorrow: Use 'chummily' in a sentence!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is behind it?

Having seen Hayao Miyazaki's films (which I simply adore), I think he could do some really exciting things with the license.
Alc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: WTFACWWMV Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The both got 60-minute animes.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: WTFACWWMV Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
The both got 60-minute animes.

I didn't know about the Mario one, but I knew about the Sonic one. It's an OVA though, so that doesn't really count. Being an OVA pretty much means it's made for geeks and kids. Being a "road show" like it says at the bottom of this trailer means it's aiming for the mass market and it's not as restricted by budget. Crazy stuff.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Who is behind it?

Having seen Hayao Miyazaki's films (which I simply adore), I think he could do some really exciting things with the license.

Miyamoto loves Miyazaki, you know. He should let him creative direct a Zelda game, or something.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very not-surprising given how popular both the original and DS animal crossing games have been in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: