The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EB Games is discussing what new policy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: EB Games is discussing what new policy? Reply with quote

Ok, I don't know wether to believe it or not, but it definatly sounds like the EB/Gamestop I know of:

Mia D's Comments wrote:
In fact, one of Gamestop's newest policies that's being discussed is to open ALL copies of a game recieved, making the issue of sealed games null and void.

I can't even tell you how many times I have gone into EB/GS and asked for a "new" copy of a game and had them tell me to wait while they get the case off the shelf. "But no one has played this copy!" I will walk out of the store without the game 9/10 times.

Bullshit. I don't appreciate your opening up games and mishandling them creating creases in the manual and scuffs on the discs. Not to mention that my box may have been maltreated in the hands of kids. If this ever becomes their policy you probably won't ever find me in their stores again. Luckily St. Louis has a Game Crazy or two.

EDIT: I can't think of another media that works in this manner either. Well, aside from books, but even some of those are sealed for a reason. I am talking DVDs and CDs here mainly.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the bullshit factor. I used to work at a Gamestop, and it used to be that you would just make a 'gut' of a game on display, but give out the sealed copies to customers first. The only problems where when a customer bought the last copy of a game, or a title that had been checked out by an employee. The employee checkouts were always in good condition, as were the last 'gut' copies, but we still had customers complain that their games were opened, and while I often had to placate them with promises that the game was still new, I could sympathize. If my game isn't sealed, then it's used, and they better give me the used price for it. There's a reason these things are shrinkwrapped.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's standard policy in the UK. I've never bought a game in a UK shop that's been sealed. Only online have I found them sealed. We Brits lead such a hard life. Do you know that a pint of beer costs $5.50, and a cheap bottle of whiskey costs around $24? And gas? Gas over here is three to four times the price!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, John, but there, Marmite is plentiful! Which sort of cancels everything out in my mind.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well look at it this way, even though the employees and register mokeys have no say it this, they will be glared at and held in contept for something they have no control over! Wee! Thank you, corporate policy committee!

Besides, five years ago all PS2 games had secruity seals along with their factory seals. You only see those nowadays on EA or Sony games. Xbox 360 still does them, and you see them on newer xbox games more often than newer PS2/GC games.

It's also one step closer to making a used game that much more reasonable. For that reason alone, I support it.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Perhaps, John, but there, Marmite is plentiful! Which sort of cancels everything out in my mind.

Oh, yeah, true. Fortunately my grocery store also stocks it.

As for the topic at hand, I don't think I'd mind as much if they discounted the open games / last copies, but they don't. Plus their trade in prices have continued to slip toward scalping over the years, all while used game prices have risen.

The problem is, there's hardly a good alternative. Online pickings are surprising slim, unless I go with NCS, and their domestic game pricing is not great. Is Game Crazy much better than EB/Gamestop? There's none near me now, but there are some where I'm going.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Well look at it this way, even though the employees and register mokeys have no say it this, they will be glared at and held in contept for something they have no control over! Wee! Thank you, corporate policy committee!

Quit.

Yeah I'm serious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon gets sexier and sexier all the time. I think I do most of my shopping for everything outside of food from there now.

DonMarco wrote:

I feel for you. Whenever I worked at Hollywood Video, I had to go through that crap all of the time. It's like they think you have a super secret direct line to the president of the company and it's you dictating what the chain should and should not do.

We wouldn't rent M games to underage people, the 16- and 17-year-olds were not happy. "Fucking bullshit! You're an asshole!" Yees, yes, and you won't be playing this copy of Grand Theft Auto tonight (, fuckface). Then their parents would complain because they had to come in. Ugh. I want to buy you a beer now for being in retail.
David JS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:

We wouldn't rent M games to underage people, the 16- and 17-year-olds were not happy. "Fucking bullshit! You're an asshole!" Yees, yes, and you won't be playing this copy of Grand Theft Auto tonight (, fuckface). Then their parents would complain because they had to come in. Ugh. I want to buy you a beer now for being in retail.

M is 18 in the US?

Speaking of Amazon, they've got a terrible overseas delivery policy concerning games, which extends to the third party Marketplace/merchants. If they don't ship at all, due to I guess regional agreements, they enforce an ultra-premium cost on delivery. Apparently Nintendo and EA have more clout than the publishing, films, and music industries put together. Otherwise I can't understand it, when they'll happily send DVDs.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David JS wrote:
ryan wrote:

M is 18 in the US?

Some chains are 17, some 18. I had one of those kids two nights back, whining about how he left his drivers licence and IC card in his other wallet (he looks 15). His friend was whining about turning 17 in three months. His other friend was whining about F-Zero being in the gameCube demo unit, not Naruto. Problems solved by turning off the GameCube, then kicking them out for complaining about it. Specifically for swearing.

Did I memtion that one of them always smells like they fell asleep in a truckstop bathroom? And they come in once a week to "hang" and "chill" and shit?? And Naruto hasn't been in the GameCube in over three months? RAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David JS wrote:
Speaking of Amazon, they've got a terrible overseas delivery policy concerning games, which extends to the third party Marketplace/merchants. If they don't ship at all, due to I guess regional agreements, they enforce an ultra-premium cost on delivery. Apparently Nintendo and EA have more clout than the publishing, films, and music industries put together. Otherwise I can't understand it, when they'll happily send DVDs.

While I've never been on the other side of the transcontinental Amazon, i.e. ordering something from outside the US, I know they're real sticklers for international licensing laws vis-a-vis shipping from Japan. You can't buy software, games, or used books, and sometimes I think even audio CDs--new books seem to be the only think I can get away with. This is because it's technically illegal to distribute electronic media in regions where it has not been licensed (how illegal and what the punishment is, I don't know). Amazon's a big operation, so they really try and play as close to the varios import/export regulations as possible. Places like Play-Asia and NCSX get by because they're fairly under the radar and also because I believe they get their games sourced from Hong Kong, which might have more lenient export restrictions.

Again, I've never been outside the US and tried ordering anything, but I could imagine a similar scenario applies. And yes, you really get raped on international shipping.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
His other friend was whining about F-Zero being in the gameCube demo unit, not Naruto. Problems solved by turning off the GameCube, then kicking them out for complaining about it. Specifically for swearing.

PROTIP: When trying to pass yourself off as someone who can vote and buy cigarettes, don't complain about a lack of Naruto.
David JS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
While I've never been on the other side of the transcontinental Amazon, i.e. ordering something from outside the US, I know they're real sticklers for international licensing laws vis-a-vis shipping from Japan. You can't buy software, games, or used books, and sometimes I think even audio CDs--new books seem to be the only think I can get away with. This is because it's technically illegal to distribute electronic media in regions where it has not been licensed (how illegal and what the punishment is, I don't know). Amazon's a big operation, so they really try and play as close to the varios import/export regulations as possible. Places like Play-Asia and NCSX get by because they're fairly under the radar and also because I believe they get their games sourced from Hong Kong, which might have more lenient export restrictions.

I can swing the $6 US it costs to send a DVD over (in the Kubrick boxset example, 9 of them). But $32 to send GTA3 (PC)? I just don't understand why they don't also follow the rules on book distribution as well, or DVDs, which have explicit consumer deterrents.

On a sidenote I then tried to order a used copy from New Zealand and they replied back with convoluted apologies about it being 'faulty stock'. I'm tempted to reorder it, still sitting there on the website, in the hopes that someone in their warehouse is unaware of the rule about selling banned goods into Australia. I did it mainly to have a fight with the OFLC (censorship office) were it to be seized by customs. Win or lose, I'd still land a written government dissertation about taking the rightful incomes of virtual sex workers by driving over their heads. I'd frame it.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:

This... is true! Well, not in France, but it's a staple in the UK. On hot toast, with melted butter; hmmm. Embarassed
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should point out that te worst thing about all this is that I know how EB/GS works. The put the case out and pay no attention to it. I have had to purchase a box that was ripped and torn and crushed for a GBA game as "new" because both a) Parents don't tell their kids to "stop that shit" and b) people don't give a fuck in this country 9/10 times. The very few occasions I have bought a game in the terrible condition that EB/GS games come in mostly as "new." This is the practice that is total bullshit.

"But no one has played them! They are new."

Szczepaniak wrote:
It's standard policy in the UK. I've never bought a game in a UK shop that's been sealed.
You guys get screwed around so much when it comes to games! It's like Canada, but worse.

dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Lestrade wrote:

Oh, yeah, true. Fortunately my grocery store also stocks it.

As for the topic at hand, I don't think I'd mind as much if they discounted the open games / last copies, but they don't. Plus their trade in prices have continued to slip toward scalping over the years, all while used game prices have risen.

The problem is, there's hardly a good alternative. Online pickings are surprising slim, unless I go with NCS, and their domestic game pricing is not great. Is Game Crazy much better than EB/Gamestop? There's none near me now, but there are some where I'm going.
At half.com the pickings are AWESOME. It's where all the non-crooked, large-scale ebay sellers went. Only a 5-10% increase over the ebay prices (usually), lots of sealed copies, and fixed rate shipping.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

half.com is usually my first stop as well. never had a problem (yet).
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i buy from half.com when i can.

(which is to say when something isn't rare or obscure.)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is Marmite? Because after reading one of the Amazon reviews I am scared:

"1 teaspoon in a mug of hot water in which you dunk thick slices of buttered bread."

EDIT: More frightened: "Not everyone reacts to it the same way. Some imagine it looks too much like axle grease. Others complain that it smells too much like beer left overnight to go bad."

friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmite definitely isn't for everyone, let me just say that. I love it, my wife hates it.

Imagine a very thick brown spread that is extremely salty but also extremely yeasty in flavor (I think this is the beer connection). I eat it on crackers mostly, but a little bit goes a long way.

You might want to check it out Shaper. You can find it and its slightly more famous relative Vegemite (which isn't quite the same thing) at natural food stores and fancier grocery stores. They sell it in little glass pots.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally hardcore with my Marmite.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T DO IT SHAPER!!

Marmite and Vegemite are the most horrible inventions mankind could ever possibly dream up, and a good argument towards the nonexistance of God; "He so loved the world" and all that jazz, and yet He let man come up with this?

It's basically as friedchicken described it--thick brown salty goop that tastes strongly of yeast. Which it should, as it's made out of yeast extract, apparently some sort of byproduct of beermaking.

You take your life into your own hands by eating this.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
DON'T DO IT SHAPER!!
It's basically as friedchicken described it--thick brown salty goop that tastes strongly of yeast. Which it should, as it's made out of yeast extract, apparently some sort of byproduct of beermaking.

You take your life into your own hands by eating this.

Yes, I love the stuff but it is very high in salt, so you should only have a small amount to avoid increasing your blood pressure (ie. risk of strokes etc).
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.

But remember: a little dab will do you.

Toast, soft melted butter, and just a light smidgen of Marmite smeared across the hot melted butter.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After becming inexplicably enamoured of the stuff, I remember finding a web site where a lot of people's recipes or favorite uses were listed. Man, was there some crazy shit. Like I said, straight up on some flatbread or crackers, maybe toast, that's it. Like natto, you'll either love it or hate it.

PS: I love natto too.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love natto too! (hmmm, beans suspended in snot)
But then again, I also love FMV games... so go figure.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old favorite videogame store (which my pseudo-uncle owned at the time before moving into the exciting world of insurance and real life problems more in the vein of "my child has a high fever and isn't drinking enough" and not "damn I forgot to tape TNG") had a big screen television hooked up to it, and you could play games before you bought them. Usually they would use a rental copy if they could, but sometimes they'd have an opened retail copy. It wasn't an issue most of the time, because these guys who worked there really loved games, and weren't going to bend and fold the Final Fantasy 3 manual, but it was weird playing a "used" game. Not that we even called games "used" back then, but it did cause it to lose some of the magic.

I kind of wish more game stores were run like that one; you'd always want to pop in and check what games they had in stock, even if their stock was usually smaller than the larger chains, just to see what was going on. There is nothing quite like looking for Blaster Master for the GBC and suddenly finding yourself in a Bomberman tournament. The guys working at most EBs aren't huge corporate assholes; one of the guys who works at my local EB has his back seat of his car filled with lightsaber replicas and other science fiction toys. You could draw people in with the promise of free action, but they've never taken advantage of this.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I was at EBgames getting an intercooler for the 360. I happen to see that they had Everblue 2 as a "new" game. So I grab the box because I know it is in a plastic bag behind the counter. When he got it out he kept telling me it was "new" and I kept telling him the game probably wouldn't even work. The game literally looked like someone had rubbed it around on sandpaper. I asked how much the game would be as a used game, he said that he couldn't sell it to me used. I persisted and he finally said "if you don't buy it new someone else will." Everblue 2?! Who else is going to buy that?

So, yea, fuck this policy. I also looked at Otogi 2, but there was a really deep scratch: "Well if the scratch effects the game you can bring it back with-in 7 days and get an exchange for it."
"I can't test it until I get back to St. Louis in a week."
"Oh! Well then you should buy our wareente on it. Then you have 90 days to test it and bring it back to anystore and get an exchange."

WHAT? Ok, so first off, you want to sell me "damaged goods," then you want me to pay more incase your product doesn't work? No thanks.

The most offensive thing was when this lady was buying a used game that was in decent condition and the guy was putting the game and manual in the case: "I don't need that."
"You want me to throw it out?"
"Yea."
... then he just threw the manual in the trash. I don't know what is wrong with the world anymore.

B coma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the end of shaper's post I was envisioning him dressed as a native american and shedding a single tear.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
by the end of shaper's post I was envisioning him dressed as a native american and shedding a single tear.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much stopped using GameStop as my primary game source years ago. I kind of miss it though, precisely because of moments like this. As much as it irks me, I love seeing how idiotic employees and customers of game stores can be.

Actually, we should make a movie about it. We can film it in Black and White, talk about sex the whole time, submit it to indie film fests, then after we've made millions of dollars we can ruin its memory a few years later when we make a color version of it about Best Buy.

Now that that lame joke is over, I would like to talk about a story I had involving a game store last weekend.

Over July 4th weekend I met up with a few friends who were moving south and had bought a used DS with a huge scratch on the screen from GameCrazy for $100 on the way. I thought they were crazy for buying a used, scratched system for almost the price of a new system, so I offered to trade them my Girlfriend's good-condition system for theirs with the reciept so that I could bring it back and get a DS lite. They thought it was a good idea, so the trade took place and last weekend I took the system in to swap it up.

"I'm sorry, all used sales are final," is what the employee said to me when I entered the store. "We'll give you $50 for it on trade in."

I argued with her for a few minutes about how the system was no more used than it had been a week ago, and how GameStop's policy would have let me return it. "We're not Gamestop, sir," she said.

So I grabbed my system and left the store fuming. A few hours later I had calmed down a bit and I called another GameCrazy. I explained my story to the manager here and he said he couldn't do anything. I tried appealing to the "but the competitor would do it," side, the "I work for a magazine" side, and the, "customer is always right" side. It was only when I attacked the, "you realize that this isn't worth losing a guy who buys like $200 worth of games a week as a customer" side and he thought for a minute.

"What's your phone number?"

I gave him my phone number and he shuffled around on the computer for a bit. "Ok, I'll do it. When you come in, make sure you talk to one of our guys about becoming a member."

I'm glad I got my way, but really I shouldn't have had to fight so hard for something that would have stuck out in my mind as being good customer service. Game stores need to quit treating customers like meat with money and more like... well, customers.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair, you were committing fraud.

such is the nature of the kali yuga.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
to be fair, you were committing fraud.

How so? I was as honest as i could have been the whole time, and the reason I even tried returning it in the first place was because I made the false assumption that their return policy was similar to that of Gamestop and pre-Gamestop EB.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Actually, we should make a movie about it. We can film it in Black and White, talk about sex the whole time, submit it to indie film fests, then after we've made millions of dollars we can ruin its memory a few years later when we make a color version of it about Best Buy.

You're a bad, bad man, and I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
such is the nature of the kali yuga.

You almost made my spit out my water!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Now that that lame joke is over, I would like to talk about a story I had involving a game store last weekend.

Until you said it was a joke I was taking it half seriously. We could upload it to the net. It could be the evolution of the podcast.

It also sounds like perfect FMV game material. Yeah, an FMV game based on the world of games. It'd be like breaking the fourth wall (sort of) and could be all confusingly post-modern and ironic.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I shouldn't have had to fight so hard for something that would have stuck out in my mind as being good customer service. Game stores need to quit treating customers like meat with money and more like... well, customers.

The problem is they will only treat their customers as well as the majority of their customers expect to be treated. I spend a fair amount of time at my local EB at lunchtime, and so many of the people I see come in have piles of games that they want to trade for the sole purpose of arriving at the magic New Game Number, $49.99 (or whatever), and that's it. What? You'll only give me $3 for a barely played Neo Contra? No problem, as long as the total is enough to buy New Game. They can't be expected to have a better way of treating people like you and me, Wes, when 95% of their customer base just doesn't care. I wouldn't be surprised if EB/Gamestop makes more money BY FAR off of reselling trade ins than they do by selling new stuff. Come on, I've even seen people at EB trade in a pile of games for CASH, willingly taking the 20% to do so.

I've hated the game store attitude for a while now-- that's why I've enjoyed the trading thread here so much. The problem with trying to buy the more obscure stuff from anyone other that the big game retailers is that the selection gets cut down significantly. Best Buy, for example, seems to always stock 1000 copies of 20 games or so. It used to be you could run across a rarity there or a sleeper game like Mobile Light Force 2, but lately they only have the big titles.

Whoah, I feel like I'm going to have bad karma or something for such a negative post, so I should say something positive about EB. Shari, the manager at the local EB is really cool and always gives me freebies, like the Katamari PSP pouch and a little Prince cell phone strap thingee. There, I've done it, I've evened out the balance of the universe.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How so? I was as honest as i could have been the whole time, and the reason I even tried returning it in the first place was because I made the false assumption that their return policy was similar to that of Gamestop and pre-Gamestop EB.

i may have misunderestimatedstood. i apologize. late night, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Until you said it was a joke I was taking it half seriously. We could upload it to the net. It could be the evolution of the podcast.

But we ain't got no podcast yet, TGQ.

(s'um'bich)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:

(s'um'bich)

Soon! Like, within the week.

DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Over July 4th weekend I met up with a few friends who were moving south and had bought a used DS with a huge scratch on the screen from GameCrazy for $100 on the way. I thought they were crazy for buying a used, scratched system for almost the price of a new system, so I offered to trade them my Girlfriend's good-condition system for theirs with the reciept so that I could bring it back and get a DS lite. They thought it was a good idea, so the trade took place and last weekend I took the system in to swap it up.

"I'm sorry, all used sales are final," is what the employee said to me when I entered the store. "We'll give you $50 for it on trade in."

I argued with her for a few minutes about how the system was no more used than it had been a week ago, and how GameStop's policy would have let me return it. "We're not Gamestop, sir," she said.

So in a sense, in the beginning if your friends had just bought your DS off you, then you taken the $100 to put towards a DS Lite, nothing worth writing about would have happened. No phone calls, arguements or anything. Customers are always right, but jackasses aren'ts. Quit profiteering on the kind actions of that poor Game Crazy. I bet they started a customer file on you, or had one.

Oh, and you are the only person in the history of gaming that has ever tried to return a used system for full credit, for refund or trade. I'm sure they've never had that happen before, or four to ten times a week on average. We,s man, those "idiotic employees" have their rules to follow and did thier job fine. The details of how you got your hands on a used DS and its receipt don't matter at the register. Games, accessories, strategy guides... No problem. Systems, warranties, magazine subscriptions are the only things I can think are exceptions to the return policy. But in my experience at two EB Games we have taken those back, too. Bottom line: don't be a jackass and sell more crap to your friends.

SuperWes wrote:

The color version would be about Wal-mart. I made $9 an hour at Best Buy ont he floor, and $15 in the Geek Squad. That's before taxes, but still.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

So in a sense, in the beginning if your friends had just bought your DS off you, then you taken the $100 to put towards a DS Lite, nothing worth writing about would have happened. No phone calls, arguements or anything. Customers are always right, but jackasses aren'ts. Quit profiteering on the kind actions of that poor Game Crazy. I bet they started a customer file on you, or had one.

Oh, and you are the only person in the history of gaming that has ever tried to return a used system for full credit, for refund or trade. I'm sure they've never had that happen before, or four to ten times a week on average. We,s man, those "idiotic employees" have their rules to follow and did thier job fine. The details of how you got your hands on a used DS and its receipt don't matter at the register. Games, accessories, strategy guides... No problem. Systems, warranties, magazine subscriptions are the only things I can think are exceptions to the return policy. But in my experience at two EB Games we have taken those back, too. Bottom line: don't be a jackass and sell more crap to your friends.

EXACTLY. My friends should have just bought the system from us in the first place, but they never seemed interested in a DS at all until after they had bought it for way more than they should have. But wait, used systems aren't covered under the EB used return policy? That's news to me.

I remember back in the day when you could exchange a NEW game within 10 days of purchase for any reason. Those were the days. I exploited the shit out of that policy, but the stores I bought games from got enough of my money in the end that they were happy. I miss the good old days.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those were the days. I exploited the shit out of that policy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Those were the days. I exploited the shit out of that policy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The world was a better place before Gamestop started selling/buying used games. I say "exploited," but really I mean I didn't get screwed when I would pay $65 for a game that I would finish in a weekend and never want to play again. Nowadays if you buy something for $50 that doesn't meet your expectations you've got to return it to the store and get $20 store credit just so that they can turn around and sell it to someone else for $45 and net all of that profit without giving any of it to the publisher/developer. The highest priority game stores had was to keep you as a customer, not to try to sypon money from you. Somewhere along the way someone got greedy and made game buying into a terrible experience.

If it weren't for the fact that Gamestop sucks so bad, digital distribution wouldn't be so tempting.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could sell the game on ebay for $40-$45 like EB/GS does. No need to use EB/GS for any other reason than the instant gratification thing.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just thought of something interesting that might have to do with that original post. What if Gamestop just started un-shrinkwrapping games in an effort to do away with an internal differentiation between new and used games? I mean, the cost difference between the two is so small as it is that there's no real incentive for them to continue to offer games as new. What if they just kept one sku for both new and used games and just sold everything at the new price at all times. The customer wouldn't know whether they were getting a "new" game or a "used" game, just that they were getting the game they wanted. Gamestop could base their reorder numbers based on how many used games they had in stock, and there would be no reason for them to reorder "greatest hits" copies of games when they already have hundreds of used copies of those games anyways.

This I can maybe see them doing. If they did something like this I can see it completely disrupting the way games are distributed. IE: Publishers working incredibly hard to do away with used game sales.

-Wes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:

(s'um'bich)

Soon! Like, within the week.

this would be a poor podcast if it lacked my stearling wit and harsh words.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nowadays if you buy something for $50 that doesn't meet your expectations you've got to return it to the store and get $20 store credit just so that they can turn around and sell it to someone else for $45 and net all of that profit without giving any of it to the publisher/developer.

i too enjoy the clean, crisp taste of drugs.

ok, that's mean,but what i mean to ask are these questions:

1) so if a game you buy doesn't meet your expectations, you're entitled to what is essentially a refund of your money after playing it to completion?

2) the game store is not entitled to make a certain amount of money (over a particular profit line) from used merchandise, even though the enduser is entitled to play a game to completion and still expect a full return of his outlay?

3) the developer is entitled to money from the game store on resales of used material, but the end user is entitled to having his expectations met from both the game store (regarding a blind return policy) and the developer (regarding the length or quality of a title) without regard to the developer or the game store's economic models?

4) people wonder why things may have changed vis a vis store policies?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to vote is with your cash.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
The best way to vote is with your cash.

I think that comes off a little more double edged than you meant it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: