The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retro Core: The Truth Must Be Told
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Retro Core: The Truth Must Be Told Reply with quote

I should have started this thread sometime last year, but apparently my meagre mind couldn't put this thought together, and thus I am only doing this now.

For those who don't know, RetroCore is an internet-based show about retro gaming (duh) created by a gentleman from the UK who lives in some godawful-looking, concrete-filled, Japanese suburb. He goes by the name Yakumo, and he seems to mostly support himself through online gaming auctions (a noble trade!).

I don't remember how I found the show, almost a year ago, but I watch it religiously now. It comes out every month as a free download and also as a purchasable DVD. (I've never purchased a DVD, despite the higher quality video and sound, because I'm a cheap bastard. )

The show covers all sorts of old-school games, but Yakumo's bias is clear: he is a Sega fan, through and through. Games run the gamut from NES and Master System titles to as recent as Dreamcast and PS1 games. He also has, for you shooter fans, two "shooter specials", wherein he provides footage and commentary for goddamn near every shooter game for both the Saturn and Dreamcast. Fucking 90 minutes of eye-searing, that's what that is.

Yakumo also has a knack for taking video cameras into traditionally camera-shy Japanese arcades and stores and snooping around for a good while before getting booted out.

He's a funny guy, and his bitterness and sense of good-old-fashioned dry humour make the show interesting. Newer episodes feature screwy Japanese commercials from way back and promotions for his auction site, as well as features such as inter-system comparisons (e.g. different versions of Final Fight) and hardware eye-gasms.

If you're into this sort of thing (21 episodes later, I certainly am), you will have a blast. The man's website is http://www.segagagadomain.com and the easiest way to download the episodes is to head over to Archive.org and search for "retro core."

Sorry for the spammy thread, but I thought it was about time I mentioned this.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to watch retro core. the show's dropped a lot in quality since its beginning, however.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right, I love Retro Core. I had even arranged for 10 of his shows (including the shooter special) to be given away free on a DVD on the cover of the old Retro Gamer, along with a write up and interview... But then the mag went bankrupt and my plans turned to bitter ashes.

But yeah, he's a nice chap and quite funny. I like Retro Core because it covers unusual games and often introduces me to something new regarding retro. Also, in light of the utter fucking tripe you can find on the internet, regarding other "videogame shows", his, along with Consolevania, are the best two of the very best. I've not seen the very latest, so can't comment on quality of the newer ones.

Segagaga is cool too, I mean, he has like a review archive that covers hundreds of Japanese Sega CD and Saturn games! Coverage for those games is hard to find, making him a valuable purveyor of knowledge.

Otherwise, I know Yakumo fairly well from my internet travels. He even emailed me once.

Feel free to touch me now, if you like.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Segagaga is cool too, I mean, he has like a review archive that covers hundreds of Japanese Sega CD and Saturn games! Coverage for those games is hard to find, making him a valuable purveyor of knowledge.

his reviews are a sentence long and terrible though.

the saturn shooting special is pretty nice, however.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the DC shooting special a while ago... I can't say I knew it was a show. I shall look further into this. Also, the price is a little bit high it seems. I wish it was closer to $10 shipped, then I would buy a handful at a time.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a few episodes, but I got turned off to them pretty fast. The authorial bias really got to me after a while--he does so much Sega wanking and Sony bashing that it becomes tiresome and repetitive, and you really start to wonder if he's really aware of quality titles on anything other than a Dreamcast or Saturn. You also get quite a bit of the "Anything the Japanese produce is immaculate, the rest of the world makes nothing worthwhile" fellating going on.

Now Consolevania--THAT was a gaming show that was fun to watch!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
You also get quite a bit of the "Anything the Japanese produce is immaculate, the rest of the world makes nothing worthwhile" fellating going on.

yeah. the 32X segment is particularly bad in this regard.

also he tends to laud japanese localizations that inject needless anime into western games.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that Yakumo isn't the world's greatest writer, and he often is quite at odds with a lot of the mindset around here, too. Despite the fact that his taste in games is almost entirely opposite from my own (read: shooter after shooter after shooter), I find his show infinitely entertaining. Sometimes he showcases some really interesting, rare stuff, or games that I've always want to see/play but never could.

And his live stuff—the sneaky trips into game stores, his run-and-gun Akihabara Special—are just so... fun. I mean, here is a 30-year-old man living alone in Japan, listening to bad pop music and recording an internet show about weird Japanese videogames. It's so sad, yet fantastic at the same time; I can't help but be intrigued. (That sounds rude, I know, but I know not of another way to put it.)

I imagine some of his comments, such as, "Ikaruga isn't that great," must really incense some folks, though!

I will admit that Retro Core was what got me to play shooter games again. RayStorm, I love you!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i admittedly like his voice a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I mean, here is a 30-year-old man living alone in Japan, listening to bad pop music and recording an internet show about weird Japanese videogames. It's so sad, yet fantastic at the same time; I can't help but be intrigued. (That sounds rude, I know, but I know not of another way to put it.)

To be fair, I believe he IS married.

I don't know, it doesn't really matter which genre or system you froth over or how obscure your tastes are, but in my opinion to show that much of a baseless bias puts you on the same level as the 14-year old kids on IGN that believe GTA and Halo 2 are God's gift to gaming.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
I mean, here is a 30-year-old man living alone in Japan, listening to bad pop music and recording an internet show about weird Japanese videogames. It's so sad, yet fantastic at the same time; I can't help but be intrigued. (That sounds rude, I know, but I know not of another way to put it.)

To be fair, I believe he IS married.

Yeah, I was going to mention this. He is married, to a Japanese woman. On other forums he sometimes posts pics of his neighbourhood and stuff. He seems like a fairly level headed and sensible chap, just one who passionately enjoys games.

And yeah, those sneaky arcade and akihabara videos are some of the highlights.

He also covered the Tokyo Game Show, which I thought was a fucking awesome idea, especially since they don't allow cameras in there.

Oh yeah, did you know that the high quality Propellar Arena covers that are floating about, were created by him? There were only really small and poor quality shots of the original covers, not good enough to upscale and use for when the game was leaked, so he set about redrawing the entire thing based on the smaller shots. Very high quality, and they look damned authentic!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, John; I stand corrected. I don't know about the covers you mentioned, no, but that's very accommodating of him.

Actually, he seems like a decent guy. I emailed him months ago with a question and some kudos and he got right back at me. I drop him a line every now and then if an episode is particularly entertaining.

I thnk one of my favourite things is when he sneaks into a game shop and then comes out of it with four or five completely obscure games that (a) I'd never heard of and (b) would probably never risk a purchase on (mostly because I'm cheap). He seems to enjoy playing purely for the sake of it, so more power to him.

GSL: I understand what you're saying. I learned of Yakumo's bias pretty early on, but I just accepted it as a point-of-view I'd never understand but didn't consider to be of particular harm to anyway. He should do some Saturn/PSX comparisons of Wipeout or something to see how "inferior" the PSX was. Lucky for him that he seems to really like 2D shooters; in this case, Sega systems are the way to go.

Anyway, I haven't made a goddamn lick of sense in this thread and I don't know why.

P.S. I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but I'm what you might call a "version whore." I love comparing different versions (i.e. ports) of games to each other. Back in the mid-nineties, Acclaim was trying to get their games on every system known to man, so I was always fascinated by why Game X on System Y would look and sound one way while the same game on System Z seemed so different. This is part of the reason why I enjoy Retro Core so much.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason that the episode repeated itself? I watched another minute or two and skipped around, so I'm not sure if there are outtakes in it or if it was a mistake. If it's the same footage, then that thing just doubled the filesize for no reason.

I'm a bit of a Sega whore myself, so it does my heart good to hear the man talk about Gran Chaser (hey, Cyber Speedway). The thing is, my whoring is really related to the Saturn, which it deserves, so to hear him talk about Illbleed and Geomatrix like they aren't mediocre was kind of painful, so I can see where Greatsaintlouis is coming from. I'm not big into shooters either, but I don't mind watching him give them a go - that R-Type ripoff for the Neo Geo looks awesome.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I imagine some of his comments, such as, "Ikaruga isn't that great," must really incense some folks, though!

I kind of wish my internet connection didn't suck at the hotel, because I kind of love a man after my own heart with that quote.
ryan wrote:
that R-Type ripoff for the Neo Geo looks awesome.

Which one was he covering? Last Resort or Pulstar? Both were created by some of the R-Type team borrowed over from R-Type. Even Blazing Star has the Pulstar ship, but it plays very differently than either of those two. I like Last Resort more for its style and originality, but still, both are way too tough for me to play seriously.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, there are many episodes, unfortunately, where Yakumo apparently fucked up the editing, leaving these repetitive sections and other mistakes.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he seems to get lazier as the series goes on.

is there a download for the saturn shooting special on the site or archive.org? if not i'll put it up on yousendit. it's easily my favorite thing to come out of the project.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the shooting specials are on Archve.org (or at least they were the last time I checked). Remember, he's completely re-done the Saturn special!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he . . . has?

uh oh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
It's true that Yakumo isn't the world's greatest writer, and he often is quite at odds with a lot of the mindset around here, too.
Actually I can't speak or think in English like I once could thanks to living in Japan for 9 years with mostly no English speaking friends Laughing

Lestrade wrote:
And his live stuff—the sneaky trips into game stores, his run-and-gun Akihabara Special—are just so... fun. I mean, here is a 30-year-old man living alone in Japan, listening to bad pop music and recording an internet show about weird Japanese videogames. It's so sad, yet fantastic at the same time; I can't help but be intrigued. (That sounds rude, I know, but I know not of another way to put it.)
hahaha, I'm actually married and have been for 3 years Cool I'm really happy that you are enjoying the show though. Oh and as for the bad pop music I take it you mean that BGM in the car that time I took the camera to Manga Soko Laughing not my CD, I can assure you.

Lestrade wrote:
yeah, but it's true or at least I think so. That's the best thing about life living in a free country. Everyone can have their own opinion.

Lestrade wrote:
I will admit that Retro Core was what got me to play shooter games again. RayStorm, I love you!
Steady on mate ! Embarassed

I realize that sometimes I lean towards the Sega side of gaming but to tell you the truth I was a massive and still am Super Famicom fan !! To me that system is miles better than the Mega Drive. Well, apart for Bare Knuckle II.

Yakumo
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Ryan, there are many episodes, unfortunately, where Yakumo apparently fucked up the editing, leaving these repetitive sections and other mistakes.

Oops! I should've been more specific - sorry about that. I was referring to Volume 18. It's the entire episode back to back in one giant file. For whatever reason I thought that episode was directly linked to from here.

Shapermc wrote:
Dropping his shooter bomb of knowledge on me.

It was Pulstar. I really want to play this game now. No ... can't buy a Neo Geo CD again. I promised myself that I was done with the system after trying Crossed Swords. What, ebay? You want to sell me a Neo Geo CD? But I don't think I should ... I ...

But! While Sega is on my brain ... real quick: time to pour some out for Sega-Saturn.com.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Dropping his shooter bomb of knowledge on me.

It was Pulstar. I really want to play this game now. No ... can't buy a Neo Geo CD again. I promised myself that I was done with the system after trying Crossed Swords. What, ebay? You want to sell me a Neo Geo CD? But I don't think I should ... I ...

It may be better for you to go the Neo-MVS + Supergun/Cabinet route. Those games are hella expensive on the Neo-CD. Blazing Star was never released on CD, and is stupidly expensive on the AES, and is really the best of all three listed.

GSL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper, since you're the Neo Geo fan: I'm trying to remember the name of a scrolling shooter title that was released only on the NeoGeo CD and not on the AES. Not sure if it had an arcade MVS release or not. I believe the title was a vertical scroller, but I really can't remember. Any ideas what this might be?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Shaper, since you're the Neo Geo fan: I'm trying to remember the name of a scrolling shooter title that was released only on the NeoGeo CD and not on the AES. Not sure if it had an arcade MVS release or not. I believe the title was a vertical scroller, but I really can't remember. Any ideas what this might be?

Well, there are two options: most likely you are taking about Ironclad (aka Chotetsu Bri'kinger) which was a CD only shooter. But it is a horizontal scrolling game. The other side of that is you may have gotten it confused with a MVS only Strikers 1945 Plus which is vertical scrolling (although this is not likely).

GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's definitely not part of the Strikers series, I would have remembered that. Ironclad/Chotetsu Bri'kinger could have been it, though I could have sworn it was a vertical shooter. You know that sudden snap of recognition you get when someone volunteers some piece of info that you forgot? I didn't get it with Ironclad. Then again, it is 4 a.m.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well, that is the only CD only shooter on the system. I will go through an list the vert shooters that came out on the CD system though. Anyhelp on what it looked like (space, history, war, fantasy?).

Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings 2/3
Alpha Mission 2
Ghost Pilots
Twinkle Star Sprites (kinda?)

I feel like I am missing one game here. Anyways, Viewpoint... is isometric, so I didn't include that.

ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Twinkle Star Sprites (kinda?).

You play that? Any good? I was offered it or Vermillion Desert (both for Dreamcast). Even if Twinke Star Sprites is horrible, I still made the wrong choice.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
You play that? Any good? I was offered it or Vermillion Desert (both for Dreamcast). Even if Twinke Star Sprites is horrible, I still made the wrong choice.

Wow, not horrible at all. It is really great actually. I put (kinda?) because it is only a vertical scrolling shooter in the most strictest of sense. It really is more of a puzzle combat stg. The screen is broken up into two sides, left for player one and the right for the enemy or player two. You have enemies coming at you and you have to shoot at them and chain their color/size to get most "garbage" throw at the enemy. It is really great. A sequel came to the PS2 as Twinkle Star Spirits: La Petite Princess (I think?) and it had the sequel and original game on it. SCEA canned the US release even though it was slated to be ported. I probably should have expected that though.

Anyways, the DC version is kind of stupidly rare, but then again all version of the game are rare in their respective fields (MVS, NCD, SAT, DC). I recommend getting the PS2 import if you can, though I don't know how hard it is to unlock the original. You might want to try MAME first. I find the game to be on the easy side, but it is an awesome versus game.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I recommend getting the PS2 import if you can, though I don't know how hard it is to unlock the original. You might want to try MAME first. I find the game to be on the easy side, but it is an awesome versus game.

it's pretty easy to unlock the original. the ps2 game plays basically the same, though, so it's not even a priority.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok, well, that is the only CD only shooter on the system. I will go through an list the vert shooters that came out on the CD system though. Anyhelp on what it looked like (space, history, war, fantasy?).

Whoa, I almost didn't recognize your new avatar. Crazy.

You know, it probably was Ironclad. I remember it being either CD or CD and MVS only, and having an odd name (I probably heard the Japanese title), and my faulty memory is just telling me they're not the same.

Okay all you Twinkle Star Sprites fans: if a person was only looking at getting one of the titles, which would be the best value. Not necessicarily the definitive version, but the cheapest quality release? I know the original MVS cart would probably be on the cheaper end of the spectrum, but as I currently have no NeoGeo setup, that's out for right now.

Also, Zun's Phantasmagoria of Flower View is pretty Twinkle Star Sprites-ish, for those not willing to spend for the console version. The full game is something like $20, and the trial edition is available here: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/th09dl.html Plus, there's an available netplay addon.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will say that the differences between the ps2 version and the "original" game are negligible, so if you can get one of those cheaper by all means go for it.

that being said, the cheapest way to play the game is with mame and a decent joypad. i, of course, endorse the saturn pad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i've been re-watching some of the earlier episodes, for some reason. there's a really good energy near the beginning. and i find yakumo's voice kind of soothing to listen to. except i shout at the computer whenever he calls the pc-engine an 8-bit console.

anyway! the upshot of all this is that i have been working on a retrocore drinking game! so far, i've come up with the following rules:

take a drink whenever . . .
    a super famicom game (or the console itself) is compared unfavorably to its mega drive equivalent.
    yakumo comments on his poor playing skills.
    yakumo expresses his disdain for time warner's sega saturn conversion of virtua racing.
    an older konami game prompts yakumo to call into question the quality of konami's more recent releases

needs more, but it's a start! watching these has put me in the mood to play twinkle star sprites, so that's what i'm gonna do!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
except i shout at the computer whenever he calls the pc-engine an 8-bit console.

Well, technically it is. The 65C02-based chip powering the system is an 8-bit processor; the reason for the confusion often comes from the fact that the console's GPU was 16-bit.
Sortof like how your computer is still a 266MHz Pentium II even if you somehow manage to put a GeForce 7800GT inside.

Fun fact: The 65C02 also powers the Apple //e, an enduring legacy of my childhood!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, don't forget to drink whenever Yakumo starts a sentence, flubs it, and then starts it over (instead of just editing it out). Also, drink heavily whenever the intro animation that says "end of part one" repeats at least once.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Retro Core: The Truth Must Be Told Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
He also has, for you shooter fans, two "shooter specials", wherein he provides footage and commentary for goddamn near every shooter game for both the Saturn and Dreamcast. Fucking 90 minutes of eye-searing, that's what that is.

I remember when I played Radiant Silvergun all the way through at my friend's house, 2-player. He knew what he was doing, but after about 10 minutes I'd forgotten I was even playing a game. To me it just all coalesced into one mass of screaming visual noise. Even now I couldn't tell you what one enemy from that game looks like. (Well, ok, the last one is a giant man. That's it though.)
Yakumo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what's all this about a Retro Core Drinking game Laughing Sounds like if you follow the rules you'll all be pissed out of your heads within no time at all Laughing A personal addition from the man himself is - Everytime I call the Famicom a Super Famicom ! (Recently I edit out the mistakes).

I'm glad you guys enjoy the show ! Please be gental since most of it is compiled at 2 or 3 am in the morning !!

Yakumo

http://www.segagagadomain.com/

http://www.segagagadomain.com/RetroCorepage-main.htm
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakumo wrote:
Hey, what's all this about a Retro Core Drinking game Laughing Sounds like if you follow the rules you'll all be pissed out of your heads within no time at all Laughing A personal addition from the man himself is - Everytime I call the Famicom a Super Famicom !

ha, i've been noticing that!

also your playing got a lot better once you stopped talking as you played.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yeah, i'm continuing to watch these. i'm nearly caught up!

it got quite a bit more professional after i stopped watching, with game footage pre-recorded and voice-overed in post-production. most of the segments end with game overs. it's well put-together.

yakumo pronounced ys as "wise" which made me shake my head. and the pc-engine thing still annoys me. he pulled the "ZOMG EVERY GAME ON PC-ENGINE IS A SHOOTER" card which is bullshit if you've actually, you know, played a bunch of pc-engine games.

and yeah, the simpsons arcade feature left me pretty sure that the man is insane. but i'm still watching and mostly enjoying, even if the "help a harem of schoolgirls overcome nightmares by watching them while they sleep" games squick me the fuck out.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Hi, Yakumo! We may sound harsh sometimes, but it's because we care. I check my calendar every month and as soon as the 10th hits, I'm on archive.org, looking for the latest episode, so regardless of my bitching, I'm a longtime fan.

So, yeah; please keep it up! I love the hardware reviews and your East Versus West series.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakumo just said the genesis version of aladdin is better than the super famicom.

he also used the phrase "butt-raped" in this episode, so i guess i don't give a shit about his opinions? i'm glad this is the last episode so far.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say "Arse Raped" ! But then I though....nah.

@dessgeega - do you prefer the SFC version of Aladdin over the MD version? I find the SFC one quite dull since it is basically the same generic Capcom platformer with a new look. Sorry. Still, if we all had the same view and opinions the world would be a very dull place Smile

Guys, I don't mind if you are harsh since it's a way to see what's popular and what is not. Please keep in mind though that Retro Core is mostly put together in the early hours of the morning on a slow arse 1.4ghtz PC in my spare time. So there will always be mistakes of some kind Very Happy

Here's a sneak look at what is featured (may change) in volume 27 which will be out on DVD in 4 days.

DC - Moero Justice Gakuen
DC - Death Crimson OX
PSX - Burning Road
PSX - Recipro Heat 3000
SAT - Cotton Boomerang
SAT - Dracula X (Castlevania)
MS - Shinobi
MS - Golivus
MD - Gunstar Heroes
MD - Warnder No Mori Special
N64 - ?????
AC - ESPARADE
AC - Sailormoon (actually editing that as I type this)
PCE - ??????
FC - ???????
SFC - ?????
MOBILE PHONE - Devils May Cry

and some other stuff including more dodgy undercover game shop filming.

Yakumo
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit yes, Saturn Dracula X! I'll be looking forward to that, as well as the shaki-cam footage of stores. I love when you do that; I'm pretty sure I recognized some of the shops you went into during the Akihabara Special from my own travels. (I'll find out in the spring when I go again!)

You and I certainly have opposite tastes in games, but that's partly why I like RC so much; it features games I would never even consider trying, or even looking up. I've played some unconventional stuff (for me) because of the show.

Hey, you should call us all a bunch of douchebags on the next episode!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakumo wrote:
@dessgeega - do you prefer the SFC version of Aladdin over the MD version? I find the SFC one quite dull since it is basically the same generic Capcom platformer with a new look. Sorry. Still, if we all had the same view and opinions the world would be a very dull place Smile

honestly i havn't played either in a while. but the consensus seems to be that though the mega drive version of the game has really nice animation, the level design is incredibly slapdash. whereas the sfc one might be the same generic capcom platformer, it's at least a well-put-together platformer.

i was sure that this was the one instance where you wouldn't let your obvious bias toward sega prevail, but you done went and proved me wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may or may not know that I was in fact a massive SFC fan back in the 90s than a Mega Drive fan. I still now think that the SFC is by far the better of the two when you look at the shire variety and quality that the SFC had over the MD. I still enjoy the MD though thanks to some of it's great exclusives. Now the Saturn Vs the N64 is no contest. The Saturn (if you have access to Japanese stuff) is a goldmine of classic gaming. I'm up to almost 800 original Saturn games now.

Yakumo
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're a dangerous man!

speaking of the super famicom, i started a thread about your sfc top 10 list, which kind of dumbfounded me. i know you love wild guns!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro Core Volume 27 is out now on DVD with the download version coming on December 10th.

It was time to put on that long over coat again as I did some undercover filming in what can only be described as an Otaku's paradise. This shop covers everything from character models to games. Unfortunately I couldn't get permission to film in this shop but as if that would stop me (^_^). As well as that feature, from this month Retro Core will have two commercial brakes featuring Japanese game adds from years gone by. Sit back and enjoy Retro Core Volume 27's games reviews a featuring..

Dreamcast - Moero Justice Gakuen

Saturn - Cotton Boomerang

Saturn - Akumajo Dracula X (Game of the Month)

Saturn - Shenmue (What ever happened to...?)

Nintendo 64 - Top Gear Overdrivin

Nintendo 64 - Super Speed Racing

PlayStation - Ciriticom (Shite of the Month)

PlayStation - Recipro Heat 5000

Mega Drive - Gunstar Heroes

Master System - Golivus

PC Engine - Knight Rider Special

Super Famicom - Super Adventure Island

Arcade - Pretty Soldier Sailormoon

Yakumo

Last edited by Yakumo on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian heroes is on the mega drive?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, they call it "yuyu hakusho"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. that should have been Gunstar Heroes. I've changed that now.

Yakumo
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHIT! I hope you have lots of footage of the Saturn Dracula X; I'm really looking forward to this episode.

Yakumo, what's going to be different between this showcase of Shenmue on Saturn and the previous footage you featured?
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really need to catch up on these. I'm like 4 episodes behind now!

I'm looking forward to this regardless. I always liked the diverse selection of games, and that the show is all game footage. This show has turned me on to a lot of games I otherwise wouldn't have heard about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: