The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Videogame Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Videogame Business Reply with quote

So the DFC has put out an interesting analisys of videogame market and where it is going:

"Suffice to say events of the past six months have forced us to overhaul our models like never before. It now appears clear that this new generation of console systems is going to result in a big shake-up in the game industry power structure."

On top of that there are comments made directly at Sony and their pricing structure among other things. Add to that the recent news that Sony has to now pay $243M in taxes to the Japanese government: things look kind of grave.

I don't know exactly how I feel on this, but I have always had a thing agains Sony. Well, OK, not Sony as much as Sony US branch and their bullshit 2D practices. I also don't like that it takes me a dozen resets to get some games to work on my PS2. Anyways, it kind of feels like I have seen this coming, but I also think they will pull though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself increasingly interested in the business side of this industry because, well, as an adult one can't ignore the context of things anymore.

That said, I am sort of secretly hoping Sony makes some huge mistakes and comes out of this in a bad way. I have a PS2, and have loved the Playstation systems and their myriad games, but Sony as a company irks me. It must be my Canadian roots; when somebody gets too big, and too arrogant, I want to see them fall. We canucks like keepin' shit real, yo.

Besides, it might be better for everyone, including Sony, if they take a bit of a nosedive. Look what it's done to Nintendo! (Though in Nintendo's case, they always made money, despite everything.)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
(Though in Nintendo's case, they always made money, despite everything.)

Yea, I remember reading somewhere that even though Nintendo was trailing in the "console race" that they were still making 10% more profit than either the competition. NOTE: I did not say they were making more money. There was a statistic on that too, but the profit lead is huge when we are talking about the kinds of numbers these companies deal with.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any industry that deals with novelty will be volatile. games are nothing if they are not a race for increased waves of novelty. (no mckenna)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many of you listen to the gamasutra (né fatpixels) podcast, but this week's is the second half of a panel discussion on development for next-generation consoles. Its focus is on the business side of development (the technology and creativity sides were in the first half). There are some fascinating comments from the developers, and it's remarkable how many of them really want to adopt different (i.e. more expensive) pricing structures for their games, and how much of an influence the console makers have over their business decisions. I think I'll go give it a re-listen.

That series of podcasts is how I heard about TGQ in the first place (during the game journalism panel). So that's pretty cool.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i hear the gamer's quarter is putting out a podcast soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Dess, if you are lying I will take my newly inflated hope-sac and pop it in your face. You'll reek of squelched dreams for days.

Seriously, I would listen the shit out of that podcast.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo has made so much money off their IPs (heya, pokemon) that it's like they had a mini factory minting bills with Mario on them. Konami did a pretty good job of picking up on that as well.

Sony's other brands are also suffering. Their televisions are good, but they are expensive compared to what's coming out by other firms (mostly Korean). I recently read an article about how Sony is trying to adopt some of Samsung's management and R&D methods because they've been doing so well, to where as Samsung had originally adopted many of Sony's methods years ago. The rest of Sony's stuff has also failed to really innovate, aside from adding proprietary Sony items to their design.

While I like my parent's Sony HDtv, and my older Sony TV, I also have a friend's slim PS2 up at the office to play Gradius and Taiko because my fat, older PS2 refuses to load them. I also had to turn my original PSX upside down to play games, eventually trading it in once it stopped loading anything too FMV intensive - the Tobal No. 1 intro is what did it in. I know all consumer electronics have problems, but I've experienced nothing like my Sony product to product problem/failure ratio with any other brand.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the videogame industry is only a quarter as corrupt as the videogame "press", then we're all heading for the mother of all crashes. In fact, if it's only a quarter as corrupt, I don't even want to know about it; because somewhere along the line that would mean they're probably selling guns to genocidal African warlords, and supplementing their budgets with money made from people trafficking in Czechoslovakia.

(btw, I am exaggerating to highlight a point, which is that the whole industry is rotten to the point where I simply don't give a fuck anymore - I'm not kidding)
nICO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Can more information be given? Or is that...confidential?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I also have a friend's slim PS2 up at the office to play Gradius and Taiko because my fat, older PS2 refuses to load them. I also had to turn my original PSX upside down to play games, eventually trading it in once it stopped loading anything too FMV intensive - the Tobal No. 1 intro is what did it in. I know all consumer electronics have problems, but I've experienced nothing like my Sony product to product problem/failure ratio with any other brand.

When I was at DaleNixon's house this weekend we tried to get Growlancer II to load on my PS2 which has been dieing for a while now. After about two dozen resets we finally gave up and played Midway Arcade Treasures. He said he had never seen that in a PS2, I also informed him that happens with many DVD movies, and it also happens with both my PS2. My PS1 is pretty much worthless, but it has a mod chip in it and I paid so much for it in the first place that I feel like I have to keep it. My PSOne LCD screen is starting to fail really hard, but the PSOne still works fine, although it hasn't seen anwhere near the action the PS1 did. Also, I bought a VAIO that is about 1.5 years old now and it is starting to take longer to do things no matter what dispite me upgrading the RAM and defragmenting. I also have a Cybershot Camera which becoming more and more difficult to take good pictures with and the quality becomes lower and lower all the time. I think I am finally at the point where as a consumer I can say fuck Sony. My GB still works perfectly.
nICO wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Can more information be given? Or is that...confidential?

No, it is just planning right now. Expect to hear more about it around the middle of this month.

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
When I was at DaleNixon's house this weekend we tried to get Growlancer II to load on my PS2 which has been dieing for a while now.

I was going to try to go to this but thatbox sucks with details! I'm blaming you, john!

I was lucky with the PSX, because Toys 'R Us had a deal where they would exchange out whatever you brought in with new items from their stock, regardless of whether or not you actually bought it from them. Sony wanted something like $80 and 2 weeks, but I was able to bring in my console, a controller, and a wire, and sure enough they took a new unit off the shelves and took out exactly what I brought in. I also got another pack-in demo disc, which put my collection up to 3 or so; I still like to toss in the first one and relax with some Wipeout and Jumping Flash. I bought a few overpriced games from Toys 'R Us afterwards because of that awesome policy.

I'm not so lucky with the PS2. I'm riding that son of a bitch out until it melts and/or explodes. I had a bad feeling about it when I heard it grinding a DVD after I first bought it. With the PS3 costing as much as it does, I'm hoping she has another 2 years in her. Don't fail me, my chubby friend.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I'm not so lucky with the PS2. I'm riding that son of a bitch out until it melts and/or explodes. I had a bad feeling about it when I heard it grinding a DVD after I first bought it. With the PS3 costing as much as it does, I'm hoping she has another 2 years in her. Don't fail me, my chubby friend.

Yeah, mine has a mod chip in it, and about 1/3 of my collection is import (PS1 included) so if it dies... I don't want to think about it.

SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought and returned a PS1 on launch day because load times for exact same scenarios (in Toshinden, hah!) seemed to be random. Sometimes when loading, the drive would get a slight bit louder and take much longer to load. I actually swapped systems twice, and the guys at Babbage's thought I was an idiot because they couldn't see a problem.

I was later vindicated when everyone's launch PS except mine (which I had carefully cherry-picked) started to fail.

Sony's hardware quality record is pretty bad! Who wants to roll the $599 dice with the launch PS3?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: