The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esquire critic calls for Video Game Criticism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Esquire critic calls for Video Game Criticism Reply with quote

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/060610_mfe_July_06_Klosterman.html

Kotaku.com got all whiny and defensive about it, but Klosterman is right. He's not saying that literally no one is writing true, insightful video game criticism, but that there aren't any big critics whose voices make a difference. Most of the game media IS consumer information.

... and I expect all of you to AGREE!

Now, agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... isn't that what we try to do HERE? The whole "explaining what playing a given game feels like" and "analyzing what specific games mean in any context outside the game itself" thing he's whining about?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His column was shit. Not because of what he said about "game critics", that secton wasn't even processed by my brain. And the reason is this:

Everything else he said was so diabolically stupid, as was everything said by the people he spoke, that frankly, I didn't even pay attention to his main point.

I've never heard of him before, but he, and those he spoke to, have no basic understanding of videogames. This makes any kind of serious point they're to put across, null and void.

I can say this as fact, because I'm paid to know my gaming history.

Quote:
The stories are an afterthought.

Oh for the love of fuck. Hello?! Adventure games circa 1983?! Fuck. Man! Bleurgh!

Quote:
The meaning of most art is usually found within abstractions. So the problem is not that video games don't have interesting narratives; the problem is that it's hard to decide what it is about video games that is interesting.

No, I typed out a long paragraph, but frankly this isn't worth wasting bandwidth on.

Go back to your fancy poetry clubs and Turner Art museums, you shmucks, and leave my hobby alone.

I hate the fact that gaming is attracting the attention of people like this. It freaks me the fuck out, man.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Szczep, that was twenty some years ago. In most games today the story is an afterthought.

Haven't read the link myself. Might do that now.

edit-Okay, skimmed it. The guy says there aren't really an critics for videogames, and he's mostly right. Kotaku gets its panties in a bunch saying there are critics for videogames as he's describing, just that he wouldn't know about them because he hasn't read any of it.

Which is about the whole deal, right there. And he hasn't read any of it because none of the so called videogame criticism has a face in the mainstream media. It's all still independent underground type stuff. Maybe we should all start applying at Esquire to write about videogames, instead of just making our own magazines?

I'm kind of tempted to do that now, actually.

Last edited by Mr. Mechanical on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Go back to your fancy poetry clubs and Turner Art museums, you shmucks, and leave my hobby alone.

why does this sound unsettlingly familiar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... don't know?

He just comes across as overly intellectual. Like on TV, when people talk about art and the Turner Art prize, or whatever it is. That's not art. I studied art, and I hate the way people feel the need over-complicate stuff.

As if, somehow, without doing that, they can't enjoy it.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to order Klosterman a copy of TGQ when I get home. Wes, will you promise to send it out quickly?

Edit: The order is made! Send it with a note saying, "From the minor critics."
david

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
But... isn't that what we try to do HERE? The whole "explaining what playing a given game feels like" and "analyzing what specific games mean in any context outside the game itself" thing he's whining about?

Sure, that's why we're here, but TGC does not (yet) constitute an influential voice. We're a fringe. You gotta forgive him for making some generalizations in quite a short article. More important in my view is that he sees games as deserving of -- in fact, in need of -- good criticism. Even better, he grasps that what's most interesting about games is what's unique about them, not what most resembles existing media.

See:

Klosterman wrote:
The meaning of most art is usually found within abstractions. So the problem is not that video games don't have interesting narratives; the problem is that it's hard to decide what it is about video games that is interesting. "[We] need to talk about games in a way that is appropriate to the medium," says Johnson.

Szczepaniak wrote:
He just comes across as overly intellectual.

Maybe I'm overly intellectual too, because he sounded very down-to-earth to me. He compared video games to rock music in the 60s, not to Greek tragedy or Shakespeare like Denis Dyak probably would (not that there's anything wrong with that comparison, except you know those venerable old works are invoked as mummies, for their place in the Western canon, not as vibrant creations).

Szczepaniak wrote:
Quote:
The stories are an afterthought.

Oh for the love of fuck. Hello?! Adventure games circa 1983?! Fuck. Man! Bleurgh!

Are you wretching because you think he's dissing games by putting down their stories? That wasn't Klosterman, by the way, but his interviewee, Steven Johnson, who also said "there's something intoxicating about the mix of exploring an environment and solving problems." Again, it's not a strike against games; the point is that games have something unique, "something intoxicating" about the interactive element. It's not in the pictures, sounds or stories -- the parts most familiar from movies -- where video games' best tricks lie. Klosterman remarks on the graphics, but thankfully does not fixate on them, instead moving on to interactivity, seeking those abstractions where the real power of the medium resides. That shows a level of understanding unusual in mainstream journalism.

Tablesaw wrote:
I think I'm going to order Klosterman a copy of TGQ when I get home. Wes, will you promise to send it out quickly?

Good idea.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that now one has bothered to mention that Klosterman is probably one of the worst writers to emerge in the last few years.

Here's a link that should prove that he should never be listerned to about anything:

http://www.nypress.com/print.cfm?content_id=8768

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I hadn't heard of Klosterman before. But what difference does the rest of his work make to this particular piece? Dhex, where are you? What's that called, when you dismiss an argument by more broadly discrediting the author?

I also admit I didn't make it past the first few paragraphs of that essay you linked to. Ames spent more time comparing Klosterman's face to an asshole than explaining what's so offensive about his work, and I lost interest.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, another guy besides me thinks he's an idiot.

Anyway, David, in response to your responses to my first post. Yeah, my argument in criticising him was rough, and poorly thought out, and if I really tried, I could do a better job. But you're new here. So I'll level with you. I just like complaining about stuff, all the time. Everything in fact. Constantly. And Klosterman is the latest guy on my shit list. I'll moan, and throw cheap potshot insults at him, for a day or so. Then I'll get really drunk, forget about it, and move on to whoever or whatever else has ignited my rage, at that particular moment. So don't feel that my rants need to be engaged, it's more a case of ignore and tolerate them. Though you can engage them, if you like. I mean, I don't mind either way. I'm just a guy who complains about everything.

Having said all that though, Klosterman, as well as each and every single other person he spoke with in that column, are all fucking inept idiots, with utterly no true comprehension of videogames. They're like those people who find something, which they think might be cool, and then they jump on it and ride the wave. Or the bandwagon. Or the whiskey train. I don't know. Whatever, man.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
What's that called, when you dismiss an argument by more broadly discrediting the author?

Ad hominem.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Having said all that though, Klosterman, as well as each and every single other person he spoke with in that column, are all fucking inept idiots, with utterly no true comprehension of videogames. They're like those people who find something, which they think might be cool, and then they jump on it and ride the wave. Or the bandwagon. Or the whiskey train. I don't know. Whatever, man.

That's all well and good, but the fact is, these guys are talking about videogames in a serious manner outside of the reclusive shell of videogame fandom. It's a column in fucking Esquire, of all places, about how there needs to be some real criticism in videogame writing. I mean, the only time you ever see these types of columns pop up are in places like here at GQ or IC, except neither of us reach as wide and as mainstream an audience. Do you not see the significance of all this?

It's fine and dandy if they're all just on some bandwagon, but they are the kinds of people that other people listen to when they start speaking. There's no one like that for videogames outside of the videogame press. That's what's so important here. So the guy supposedly has no comprehension of the medium. And you do? Because you actually play them or something? It's like I'm seeing two different ends of the same spectrum meet for the first time.

This response seems very typical across the internet game-dom. Except even sites like Game Girl Advance are toeing the party line and brushing this column off. Why? Because the guy who wrote it isn't a gamer? What kind of shit is that? I guess it's because what he's asking is that we rethink what we know about videogames, and God forbid we have to do that because we've already got it set in our heads how these things work anyways, and besides, he just doesn't know what he's talking about because he's not a gamer he's an oppurtunist riding a bandwagon bla bla bla. He manages to articulate how I've felt on the subject fairly well, we do need to start thinking in more critical terms about our hobby. It's the only way it'll evolve. This might actually entail reevaluating what we think we already know, and I'm all for that. I can't wait to get in on it. It's what I've been trying to do for the past two fucking years. Now I finally see some people from outside the industry taking an interest in that sort of thing and the collective community just clams up. This is pathetic.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Sure, that's why we're here, but TGC does not (yet) constitute an influential voice. We're a fringe. You gotta forgive him for making some generalizations in quite a short article.

Actually, no, I don't have to forgive his oversights. Regardless of the length of an article, if he's going to come across as a 'critic', speaking authoratatively on a subject, he'd better know fully what he's talking about. And sure, we're a fringe, and he's not: does that automatically invalidate what we do here? Are we not important because we're ShaperMC, dhex, seryogin and dessgeega and not Chuck Klosterman, Rock Critic? I mean, sure, our voices are less likely to be heard because we're a nice little indie mag and he writes for Esquire, but that in no way neither grants him the voice of authority nor takes it from us.

And really, why should we take anything Chuck Klosterman has to say about videogames seriously? How has he proven himself to be an authoratative voice on the subject? I mean, the guy cites Bad Day L.A. along with Grand Theft Auto when he states, "visually transfixing, because the images are often beautiful and the movements of the characters are weird and hyperreal."

Bad Day L.A. doesn't even have a fucking release date attached yet. I call bullshit.

And really, that's all the article is. It's an outsider's view of a type of media he obviously doesn't understand, but feels that his status as pop culture critic gives him the authority to make sweeping generalizations and calls-to-arms out of fear that there could be some form of entertainment not adequately raped by critical thought at a professional level. I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish--for all I know, he could be setting himself up as the answer to his question of "WHERE ALL DA CRITICZ AT?!"--but I do know that he comes across as being wholly unfamiliar with that which he talks about from his pretentious pedestal, and that at the end of the day he's just a hack of no consequence. The tragedy is that he is in Esquire, and the gullible and uninformed out there will no doubt agree with him.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not viewing him as a voice of authority, rather a voice that can bring much needed attention to our own by raising the general awareness of these issues. He's got credential and people listen to someone who has credential. That's what matters here. Simpe as that.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:

why does this sound unsettlingly familiar.

I... don't know?

Here's a hint -- it's how some gamers react to us.

And yeah, the sane reaction here is obviously to send him a copy of our magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
david

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pretty much everything Mr. Mechanical has said.

And whoa, I'm not putting down TGQ, for God's sake. Hey, I had an article in the last issue, and drew the cover. And I was at E3 and hung out with Toups and Matt and everybody. I'm speaking as one of the group. But it doesn't offend me if someone doesn't consider TGQ in a survey of major trends in game journalism. Naturally the big publications that everyone is aware of are going to figure more prominently.

I do this comic, right? Yeah, some people know of it, I take pride in it, but it's not a major force in the world of comics. If a mainstream critic remarked that today's comics show a surprising lack of experimentation in page layout (something I focus on), I wouldn't fume and get indignant because the guy didn't mention me, or doesn't even know about me. No -- I'd probably think, "maybe he'd be interested in my stuff."

So please, this is not a difference of loyalty to TGQ. But it makes sense that the conversation would twist that way, since much of the negativity towards Klosterman's article seems rooted in a kind of defensive group mentality. People don't like what he represents, where he's coming from, that he's not a true gamer or something. That's the kind of group behavior I hate. It's fun to have clubs and so forth, but all this insider/outsider venom is unfortunate.

Dracko wrote:
Ad hominem.

Yeah, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling that Klosterman wouldn't have written this if he'd stumbled across Rogers.

That's not a value judgement of either individual in any particular direction, it just seems like that's the kind of thing that he's looking for and not seeing.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
david wrote:
Sure, that's why we're here, but TGC does not (yet) constitute an influential voice. We're a fringe. You gotta forgive him for making some generalizations in quite a short article.
And sure, we're a fringe, and he's not: does that automatically invalidate what we do here? Are we not important because we're ShaperMC, dhex, seryogin and dessgeega and not Chuck Klosterman, Rock Critic?

I don't know about you, but I base on my trust on sassy poses, and here Klosterman clearly wins. Hell, I don't think anyone here even has a sassy pose.

Like others have said, quite a few sites do this. The problem is that in the "quite a few sites" none include IGN, GameSpot, GameSpy, Games Domain, or 1UP. A good marriage of what he wants with a slightly more traditional bend is EuroGamer. Computer Gaming World also does this kind, if memory serves. It's tricky trying to keep the inner you in check when covering games, because you'll give what Klosterman wants, but it's too tempting to go overboard and end up with something that is counterproductive, which is something someone like him might very well complain about when it becomes common.

But regardless of how popular some places are, the internet in terms of games is really represented by a handful of sites. I know those (aside from IGN) struggle quite a bit with how to review stuff, though it might look fairly standard, but until they go the way 1UP seems to have wanted to, people will still say no one talks about how playing a game makes them feel.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And TGQ is the only print magazine that really comes close to what he's talking about. I guess you could consider Edge to be somewhat-in-the-ballpark; however, they've made enough crappy editorial decisions that the reviews are uniformly always the worst thing in the magazine.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
I admit I hadn't heard of Klosterman before. But what difference does the rest of his work make to this particular piece? Dhex, where are you? What's that called, when you dismiss an argument by more broadly discrediting the author?

I also admit I didn't make it past the first few paragraphs of that essay you linked to. Ames spent more time comparing Klosterman's face to an asshole than explaining what's so offensive about his work, and I lost interest.

Yeah, it's a really shitty beginning...I skipped that paragraph the first time I read through the piece, though if you'd read on, you'd see that he takes apart how stupid most of Klosterman's cultural analysis is...And John's right, the mainstream is trying to ride in on the Neo Games Journalism wave, always a few steps behind the bleeding raw edge of the Gamer's Quarter (I mean, didn't we say an issue ago, that all talk of NGJ is now officially over?).

As far, as Mike "dhex" is concerned, he hates Klosterman...in fact, the first time we met in person, I brought up how shitty I thought his book was, because I had leafed through it in the store, and Mike brought up the piece I linked before and we all had a good laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei, that article is awesome. And it sums up Klosterman pretty well.

(This doesn't mean that the basic premise of his article (that the gaming press sucks anus) isn't true, just that he got to it 2 years late.)

(Also, I'm wearing one of those Atari-logo shirts right now and when I do, I'm always afraid that Fort90 will appear out of nowhere and club me senseless.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've said it before, and i'll have to stencil it on a shirt now: chuck klosterman is a bottle of puke.

david: the term for the rhetorical error in question - like the above - is "the association fallacy" or even "poisoning the well."

however, we should still send that bottle of puke a copy of the issue. and send the magazine a letter and a copy of the last issue of the mag. expressing very polite interest in hearing the argument of our publication amplified in a major mainstream magazine. etc. david's response is not only reasonable, it is correct.

and then he should suck our collective fucking taint and die.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone isn't being unhip enough to be hip.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I don't know about you, but I base on my trust on sassy poses, and here Klosterman clearly wins. Hell, I don't think anyone here even has a sassy pose.

sir, i have numerous poses, many of them sassy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really couldn't get 'sassy' out of Klosterman's pose. I get more of an 'erstwhile nerd-chic that tries too hard to be anything other than unfortunate' vibe. Not that there's anything terribly wrong with those thick-framed black glasses that seem to be all the rage these days, but for god's sake man, at least a size that fits your massive noggin!

I believe some of that may be the rum talking, but we all know rum speaks the truth.

And I meant my reply to be neither a "quick, the colony is under attack, defend ourselves!"-sort of group defense nor a "well, you didn't notice me so obviously you suck!" reaction. It was more of a... how to put this? Given his pedigree, I don't feel he is qualified to ask the question he did in the manner he did, and is merely riding his fame as an arguably poor 'pop culture critic' to try and be one of the first ones to stamp his name on a media frontier as of yet relatively unsoiled by critics of his ilk. It comes back to this: yes, maybe there is a lack of critical discourse and theory for videogames, especially considering the expansiveness of the medium as a whole. But I don't need to hear this from Chuck fucking Klosterman. The guy has no ties to the videogaming world whatsoever, and his coming off as an insightful pundit identifying a new frontier is just bullshit posturing of the most masturbatory, self-inflating sense.

I mean, Bad Day LA! Not even out yet, dammit! I'm supposed to take someone like this seriously?
Alc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Klosterman wrote:
As far as I can tell, there is no major critic who specializes in explaining what playing a given game feels like, nor is anyone analyzing what specific games mean in any context outside the game itself.
Steven Poole
Mark J P Wolf
Steven Kent
Barry Atkins
To scrape just a few out of the books I've got on my desk.

They may only be "gaming scholars" in Chuck Klosterman's eyes, but I'm willing to bet that's because Chuck Klosterman is the one who gets into widely-distributed regular print and not people who actually know what they're talking about.

On a similar note, I'm frequently appalled at the garbage that the BBC news site produces whenever a new high-profile game comes out. How do these people get the jobs in the first place? They clearly don't know shit about games, why are they paid to talk about them?
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I mean, Bad Day LA! Not even out yet, dammit! I'm supposed to take someone like this seriously?

And GTA! Crap game, no real story, little of worth in any department!

Alc wrote:
On a similar note, I'm frequently appalled at the garbage that the BBC news site produces whenever a new high-profile game comes out. How do these people get the jobs in the first place? They clearly don't know shit about games, why are they paid to talk about them?

Welcome to journalism.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:

"That, I think, is where video-game criticism should be going: toward the significance of potentiality. Video games provide an opportunity to write about the cultural consequence of free will, a concept that has as much to do with the audience as it does with the art form. However, I can't see how such an evolution could happen, mostly because there's no one to develop into these "potentiality critics." Video-game criticism can't evolve because video-game criticism can't get started. "

Yes, free will vs. destiny, would be an interesting thing to look at more, for example in Shadow of the Colossus where played "right" it will always end the same way because there is little else in the way of game there. Likewise, in GTA where the main way to progress is to follow the story missions you can't just carve out an existence.

Likewise, it would be good to see some analyses of games which have multiple endings/middles depending on how you play and your choices at key moments. (Deus Ex? Fallout?). in fact it may be not so much a question of endings but of middles, ie. how playing as a slaver in Fallout 2 is different to playing as a Scientist/talker character. Why should you have to put all meaning in the end of a game?
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legacy of Kain, the Soul Reaver storyline more accurately, dealt with those themes quite competently, even though there was little in the ways of alternate paths.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

I think all three of those assertions could be disputed, although I think you might be right on the story one (since that's not really what the game is concentrated on).

It makes a fair amount of sense to include it because it's highly popular, high profile and has a number of attributes that make it ripe for some kind of cultural analysis, which has been largely ignored, with the only relevant articles coming from "small" Internet sources.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

Well, you said it yourself.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
The guy has no ties to the videogaming world whatsoever

Fact is, he's saying things that need to be said to an audience that needs to hear it. He's not preaching to the choir, like we are, he's preaching to the plebs in the pews. This isn't something that happens often so we need to find a way to capitalize on it. Send him an issue, maybe he can get our names heard somewhere. Either way, it'd be a terrible missed oppurtunity to just brush him off entirely. That's all I'm saying.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Dracko wrote:

I think all three of those assertions could be disputed, although I think you might be right on the story one (since that's not really what the game is concentrated on).

It makes a fair amount of sense to include it because it's highly popular, high profile and has a number of attributes that make it ripe for some kind of cultural analysis, which has been largely ignored, with the only relevant articles coming from "small" Internet sources.

Perhaps, but it's hardly the kind of game I'd ever bring up to discuss the value behind art direction and visual quality.

I'm not going to get into why I hardly regard it highly, but him bringing it up in that context is heavy-handed, forced and pretty damn stupid, all things considered.

Last edited by Dracko on Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Perhaps, but it's hardly the kind of game I'd ever bring up to discuss the value behind art direction and visual quality

Agreed. That was pretty weird.

Actually, I just thought of a good analogy, GTA deserves to be discussed critically for much the same reasons as gangster rap did in the early 90s, regardless of your opinion of the quality of either examples.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't he just say the characters were nicely animated or something anyway?

EDIT:
Klosterman wrote:
...visually transfixing, because the images are often beautiful and the movements of the characters are weird and hyperreal.

Well, sort of.

EDIT again: actually he has neither chosen an appropriate example for his point or appropriately choosen GTA to make a point; which would focus on content, not graphics or art direction.
nICO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm siding with Mech here. I mean, it's not like this should become required reading or even that he says anything really insightful. It just...seems pretty harmless, you know? It might even be good all things considered. This guy isn't trying to pull an Ebert by saying there's little point to games, he's trying to inspire people to take games seriously. And I don't see how that can be a bad thing, even given his odd (okay, kinda dumb) way of going about it.

Oh hell. When it comes down to it, I can't disagree with Greatsaintlouis:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:
The guy has no ties to the videogaming world whatsoever, and his coming off as an insightful pundit identifying a new frontier is just bullshit posturing

Still...it may be posturing and trying to stake out his name somewhere, but who cares? It's better than no one in fairly mainstream media talking about videogames seriously at all. It may not be much of a step, but it is among the first.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
This might actually entail reevaluating what we think we already know, and I'm all for that. I can't wait to get in on it. It's what I've been trying to do for the past two fucking years. Now I finally see some people from outside the industry taking an interest in that sort of thing and the collective community just clams up. This is pathetic.

So because you're impatient, you accept the first (mainstream) leper who raises his hand? Despite everyone else arguing the other way?

I don't care how well know someone is. If they're an idiot, they shouldn't be allowed to talk about games to the masses. It will only infect gormless people's minds, and we will have shit on our hands.

Senator Liebreman was a well known figure, on TV even. And look what his ranting about games did to the industry.

Sorry Mechanical, Klosterman and his troupe of socialite wine buddies are NOT the people I want to see talking about games. In any kind of way. Better the hobby remains underground for another decade, waiting for the RIGHT kinda person.

Hell, I nominate Sergei and dhex, right now, to go and get famous, get inside all kinds of high profile chic publications, and then get talking. Their work is always impressive.

Start getting mainstream and famous, chaps.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gamer's quarter
the mainstream are lepers.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
david's response is not only reasonable, it is correct.

This isn't some either/or issue Szczep. There is no line drawn in the sand with defined sides. Maybe for you there is, but for me the mainstream and the underground overlap more often than not and if it takes "bottles of puke" like Chuck Klosterman to get the ball rolling that much further then I'm all for it.

Who is the "right" person to represent videogaming to the mainstream for you? I'm willing to bet it's not anybody currently in the mainstream, as the people you mention write for this magazine right here and that's my entire point. You can't just wait for the "right" person to come around because that'll never happen. You have to act when the oppurtunity arises to make any sort of change happen. If we can use people like Klosterman and his ilk to get wider recognition with a more non-gaming readership then I don't see how it could be anything but a success to what we're trying to do.

What were gamers saying ten years ago when Mario 64 was gettting mentioned in mainstream publications? Pretty much the same thing that's being said here, because the people mentioning it weren't gamers. That's part of the problem right there, the inclusive, xenophobic nature of gamer-dom. There is no us and them, we're all people who occasionally play a videogame or two. What's so hard to understand about that?

Also, I'm not the only one who's "impatient". I count at least two or three other people agreeing with me here in this very thread.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, insular xenophobia worked for the island nation of Japan for centuries. Don't knock it until you're tried it, man.

As for the whole mainstream argument. What about David Sheff? That guy was a godamned genius. And years before people like Steven Poole et al tried to write proper books about games and failed.

(Steven L Kent by the way, comes a close second to Mr Sheff, in terms of "getting it", and explaining it well for the mainstream. His writing is great.).

Sheff wrote features for mainstream mags like Playboy, and did a whole bunch of high profile interviews with people. His book Game Over, I am shocked never encouraged other people to write intelligently about games.

He came across as understanding videogames as better than any other non-gaming mainstream writer, I think, mainly, because he didn't try to put some kind of fancy twist on things. He didn't waffle on about how Mario was popular because of "hypereal movement". I mean, seriously, what the fuck does hypereal movement even mean?! Not just to the mainstream, but to anyone.

I would cite Game Over as the first mainstream book that did everything right. It was perfect.

Steven L Kent's "Ultimate History of Videogames" is another great book.

Chuck... Well, old Chuck makes me want to cut my eyes out.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Poole should have been the breakout guy.

Oddly enough, it seems like the same things that held him back are the same reasons that Szczepaniak doesn't like Klosterman, which goes to show how important it is that you be perceived as "one of us" or not.

As for hyperreal, I actually have read a fair amount about it, mainly about hyperreal architecture, and it's pretty interesting (the main examples of this being amusement parks and Vegas). The basic idea when applied generally, if I can be allowed to murder it completely, is that you are attempting to create the illusion of something much greater or more complex than what is actually there by over-exagerrating. Or to put it another way, it's an attempt to make something "more real than real".

So, in that sense, the animation GTA is hyperreal because no human being actually runs like the main character does. I actually think that looking at hyperreal architecture and city planning would be more fruitful when looking at a game like GTA; as we've already covered, it's unlikely that Klosterman would be interested in something that actually involved analysis.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps, but it's hardly the kind of game I'd ever bring up to discuss the value behind art direction and visual quality.

Why not? If by art direction and visual quality you automatically imply "artsy" (as in the meaningless modern usage of "indie") and "a fine example of advanced graphical capabilities," no. But those words are decidedly neutral.

Rockstar did a great job of using relatively simple graphics to pull together a balanced game. When a game feels like it was made in flash, you notice, right? The aesthetics were balanced. I never felt, save for perhaps GTA3 (and still only marginally, then), that the modern GTA looked bad. I was quite fond of the graphics. And here at TGQ, aren't we supposed to be pining for brilliant uses of simplistic graphics? Well, here you go--cept "simplistic" here is based in 3D.

I mean, by San Andreas, I thought the look was downright convincing. The haze to the world. The graphics were quite refined by that point. And the sprawling city/suburbs were definitely cool.

Again, if by art direction you inherently imply 'quirky' 'unique' or 'highly advanced,' use another word, because GTA is a fine example of a nicely-composed game.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:

Why not? If by art direction and visual quality you automatically imply "artsy" (as in the meaningless modern usage of "indie") and "a fine example of advanced graphical capabilities," no. But those words are decidedly neutral.

Rockstar did a great job of using relatively simple graphics to pull together a balanced game. When a game feels like it was made in flash, you notice, right? The aesthetics were balanced. I never felt, save for perhaps GTA3 (and still only marginally, then), that the modern GTA looked bad. I was quite fond of the graphics. And here at TGQ, aren't we supposed to be pining for brilliant uses of simplistic graphics? Well, here you go--cept "simplistic" here is based in 3D.

I mean, by San Andreas, I thought the look was downright convincing. The haze to the world. The graphics were quite refined by that point. And the sprawling city/suburbs were definitely cool.

Again, if by art direction you inherently imply 'quirky' 'unique' or 'highly advanced,' use another word, because GTA is a fine example of a nicely-composed game.

You know, this is actually a pretty good call. I'm not a fan of San Andreas, but most of the reason I'm not a fan of it is because it's too close to actually feeling like the type of world it's trying to portray. I personally preferred the GTA games when they were more blatantly satiric, but the more I think about it, the more I can appreciate what they've accomplished.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john, games haven't been underground since before 1977. really. or else none of us would be having this conversation.

i don't like klosterman - he's holden caufield, but "cooler" - but shapes and wes need to send copies of tgq to esquire with a letter about the piece. really. like, right now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i don't like klosterman - he's holden caufield, but "cooler" - but shapes and wes need to send copies of tgq to esquire with a letter about the piece. really. like, right now!

I'll do it tomorrow! Give me some text! (and track me down an address if possible...)

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.esquire.com/talk/

i mean, just write hey d00d there are people out there doing this thing, and here's one way he can catch up to what's actually going on with video game criticism. you know, address teh points and stuff. keep it very brief, no more than 300 words, and send in a few copies of the latest to boot to their offices. if nothing else, it'll get tossed to some intern who is part of the condenasty empire, and maybe the dorkwad tastemaker thing will work out once in a while.

scribner: (they published his last two books)

Chuck Klosterman
c/o
Simon & Schuster, Inc.
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

i haven't found any contact info for mr. klosterman directly, so going through his publisher is the unfortunately next best thing.

the letter can be longer, send a few copies as well, etc. see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dhex wrote:

I'll do it tomorrow! Give me some text! (and track me down an address if possible...)

Wes, read my comments earlier in the thread. And I already ordered a copy through the store c/o Esquire.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, this thread kinda got out of hand. And yes, one WILL be going to Esquire, do we have a write up?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtesy of Wired News:
"Klosterman can't find a Lester Bangs because he's looking for a glossy-mag-anointed critic."
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just this opening paragraph.

Clive Thompson wrote:
Unfortunately, Klosterman so elegantly misunderstands gaming culture -- and the nature of games themselves -- that he misses out on all the real reasons.

I don't even need to read the rest; Clive Thompson is my new god (for the day). Another one who agrees that Klosterman has absolutely NO understanding of the gaming medium.

I'm glad this view is gaining momentum, because I don't know what I'd do if people actually took old Kloster seriously.

I vote that Klosterman becomes videogaming's next pinata boy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: