The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battling barcodes are the future of gaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Battling barcodes are the future of gaming Reply with quote

Why did no one tell me that there was a Super Famicom linkup for the Barcode Battler?! Especially why did no one tell me that the link port exists on the North American models? I'm totally taking my old Barcode Battler home with me when I go back to Manitoba this summer, hacking it, and tweaking NetHack to generate the dungeons from my Lucky Charms. You think I'm joking.

When I was a kid, I seriously believed that personalized barcode-based videogames were the future. I had game designs and everything. The brilliantly pragmatic link between arbitrary real-world products and videogames fascinated me. Still does, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for a game or amusement device that assembles parts of itself from the information gleaned from barcodes, be it usable characters, powers, or levels. The e-Reader and similar peripherials are an interesting step in the right direction, but I envision something with some manner of low-power optical scanner that doesn't require specially made barcodes to work. I seriously want to be able to scan a bag of Cheetoes, an empty Mountain Dew bottle, and a school library book and get some manner of Voltron-esque in-game character to use.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me of this, which I got through a Wired magazine subscription or something. Okay, there's a photo of it here.

It too was THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE, except not specifically for games. I think it was more of a marketing gimic, but I had a few seconds of hope that it might turn out to be interesting. I think you can all figure out how THAT went...

Last edited by friedchicken on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't tell you, because I didn't know.

But that is quite possible the most awesome thing I've ever seen. Never owned a BCB, but I value discovering these things.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd soccer stuff and somewhat related.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: