The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DS screen quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: DS screen quality Reply with quote

I am pondering buying a DS now that everyone is trading them in for PSPs.
At any rate, the main concern I have is the bottom screen. All the display models I have seen are scratched to hell (but oddly enough not the one at Walmart)

Do they have a good life with minimal scratching or is it going to be destroyed quickly?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's been okay. And that's after playing Warioware Touched frantically for a week. I think store and used copies are always stratched because people come in and try them without the right stylus or something. You may run into quite a few used ones that are scratched to hell though, just like used CDs.

My only complaint is that the silver paint job is beginning to wear on mine simply due to taking it in and out of its carrying case. But that's pretty minor.

Ugh. I actually considered trading in my DS this morning myself. What's wrong with me? Have I no loyalty?!?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I tried to be really careful with mine. Like really careful. Once you get game like Wario Ware you just kind of give up on that. While I do just kind of have at it with the stylus and the thumb pad, most of the marks can be cleaned off. Just make sure there is no lint on your screen before you start playing, that will scratch it. You will notice small marks and what not, but I have to say I have only had my iPod about half the time I have had my DS and it is easily 3X as scratched up.

Basically yea, it will get a bit marked up, but if your paying attention to what your doing it will be fine. I mean, you are drawing on it.

Also it makes GBA games look amazing.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those peope who are trading their DS's are kind of being stupid. But I guess stupid people need somethiing to do. I like my DS, while I don't like the overall design.

My bottom screen is in good condition still.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it three days ago and Ive been treating it INCREDIBLY delicately.

I keep it in two bags and regular remove any dust on the screens.

My old model of GBA ended up absorbing plenty of dust particles under the screen, is this the same for the DS?

Oh, and it really does make you GBA games look and sound mazing. The speaker quality is amazing, loud and clear, and the battery lasts for ages.

Does anyone notice tiny dots on the lower screen? Arranged in a square pattern.

And as for the PSP/DS thing, they are two totally different systems. I fail to see people comparing them. I bought a DS and not a PSP purely because they do and are aimed at totally different things, of which I am more interested in the DS side of things.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Those peope who are trading their DS's are kind of being stupid. But I guess stupid people need somethiing to do. I like my DS, while I don't like the overall design.

Oh, I agree-- I'm just trying all kinds of angles with myself to justify buying a PSP. I love my DS though.

It seems that none of my local games places have a demo PSP set up. Strange, I was seeing the DS demo everywhere starting almost a month before release. You'd think that more people would buy them if they had a change to try one out, but Sony's like that I guess. At least there were no PS2-style stupid shortages.
Karii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Let me tell ya about stupid...there was this kid in the local EB Games store with his (literally) slack-jawed freind, walking around playing their PSPs - seemingly for the sole purpose of showing off. Anyway, the kid, who looks like Griff from SSX3 but with worse hair
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
is telling this guy about it and proclaims "It's more powerful than a PS2!" At this point, I had to butt in.
"PS1 yes, PS2, no."
"YES IT IS!" he says quickly.
Now, this kid might be 14, who knows, but I knew that his balls could drop at any moment so I just passed on the argument and let him keep his stupid little opinion. I was just in there for gba game cases, what do I know? Razz

Bah! I digress in my own thread!

My main concern was for WarioWare as that will be the game I get when I buy it most likely. I am going to wait and see if the colored ones come out over here...if not, then I will either get a skin from decalgirl.com or import it. Don't know yet.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
Let me tell ya about stupid...

Hey! I know that kind of stupid! I guess some things are universal no matter where you live.

Karii wrote:
My main concern was for WarioWare as that will be the game I get when I buy it most likely. I am going to wait and see if the colored ones come out over here...if not, then I will either get a skin from decalgirl.com or import it. Don't know yet.

One word of caution for Warioware-- fun, but not nearly as long as the original (or, allegedly, Twisted). But the price is almost entirely justified by what you unlock by playing all the Microgames.
EightBit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
Quote:

Let me tell ya about stupid...there was this kid in the local EB Games store with his (literally) slack-jawed freind, walking around playing their PSPs - seemingly for the sole purpose of showing off. Anyway, the kid, who looks like Griff from SSX3 but with worse hair
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
is telling this guy about it and proclaims "It's more powerful than a PS2!" At this point, I had to butt in.
"PS1 yes, PS2, no."
"YES IT IS!" he says quickly.
Now, this kid might be 14, who knows, but I knew that his balls could drop at any moment so I just passed on the argument and let him keep his stupid little opinion. I was just in there for gba game cases, what do I know? Razz

Bah! I digress in my own thread!

Hahaha. Where was this at? I've probably seen this very same kid around town. There's quite a few kids like that at Country Side mall. I even heard once, "See, the PS2 graphics look way better!". This was with a PS2 and Xbox display right next to each other. The Xbox was playing DoA3 and the PS2 had something horrible, like Orphen, I can't remember.

As far as the DS screen goes, I've noticed that most of the instore display scratches come from people not using the stylus. I've even seen people use the wire rope that the stylus was once attached to, before some child severely in need of medication ripped it off.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not super impressed with Wario Ware mind you... not considering how much I loved the original. None the less it was good. I enjoyed Feel the Magic too, even though reallly short

Anyways, Szczepaniak.... that Square pattern... may be dead pixils. Also the GBA games look much better, but it is hard to tell until you go back and put that same game back in your GBA. As far as sounds better, well it is now in stero which helps, but it does not improve the quality of the audio.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the square pattern he's talking about is just the construction of the touch screen-- if I hold mine at an angle with the power turned off, I can see a grid of dots 'under' the screen. It's not apparent with the power turned on. Or maybe it's just me.

Man, I wish they would let me drink at work.
Karii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hahaha. Where was this at? I've probably seen this very same kid around town. There's quite a few kids like that at Country Side mall.

*sigh* I used to WORK at the mall so I know what you mean. It was at EB games in Palm Harbor.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest way to fuck with dumb people, minors or not, is to ask them reflective questions.

statement: it is way powerful more than ps2, d00d!
answer: how so?

and build from there...let them hang themselves on their own lack of logic.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely every town has a Griff? With bigger ones having several?

Horrible things, constantly talking inane nonsense about games.

Reminds me of that EGM thing where they let kids play old games and recorded their answers. Wether they made it up or not, or wether hate EGM even, the article is both eye opening and neausiatingly accurate in its portrayel of modern young gameplayers.

I ask you gaming veterans this:
WERE WE REALLY LIKE THIS BACK IN THE 80/90s?!

Surely not?
Then again, when visiting a friend I always was more excited about playing on his Turbo-Duo and Sega CD rather than his NeoGeo, due mainly to the exciting newness of the CD medium.... good lord, I HAVE changed!
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
I ask you gaming veterans this:
WERE WE REALLY LIKE THIS BACK IN THE 80/90s?!

Er... well, it's tough, because when I was that general age, there really weren't video game stores per se-- we got everything at toy or department stores. Ugh, I'm really dating myself.

Yesterday I was out at the local EB going through the used stuff (Robot Alchemal Drive GET!!!), and since it's spring break for public schools locally (and I did not realize this), it was packed with high school people who had the worst B. O. I had ever encountered on non-transients. Odd, because they were obviously very carefully dressed and not apparently that dirty. Awful.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably their breeding season, hence the pheromone smell.

Just imagine, a army of tiny little Griffs might be heading our way come 9 months time.

Another thing is I think, when I was a kid being introduced to videogames, there was no us and them mentallity between young and old people, since it was the early generations of system. Sure there were older gamesplayers, but they were playing the same stuff as the younger people.... well not exactly when you take into account their greater spending power, but you get what I mean. Theres much greater divergence today.

Oh, and back on topic regarding the DS, yes the little square pattern is in fact just the surface of the touch screen. Depending on what kind of light I hold it in, I can see all kinds of strange patterns and shapes.....
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't know any game players as a kid at all.

there were specialty shops though. babbages and i think electronics boutique as early as the early 90s. and egghead software too. might just be east coast usa type thing though.

i'm pretty sure everyone's stupid when they're young. not so sure i'm less stupid now.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
and egghead software too. might just be east coast usa type thing though.

Nope, my dad loved to drag me to Egghead software... shit... you just caused a memory flood.
EightBit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
Quote:
Hahaha. Where was this at? I've probably seen this very same kid around town. There's quite a few kids like that at Country Side mall.

*sigh* I used to WORK at the mall so I know what you mean. It was at EB games in Palm Harbor.

No shizzle? I used to work at GameSwitch, and Inti even. Small world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: