The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Super Mario Bros.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesmerize

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: New Super Mario Bros. Reply with quote

I don't have a DS but this video is really, really making me want to buy a DS just for this game (not to mention the other awesome games for it.... but I'm a poor high school student anyway Sad). The game is set to release on May 15th.
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I've been dying for a new Super Mario Bros game I just ain't liking that video much. It looks... alright.. I just really don't like the graphics much and I sure ain't buying a DS just for that...

I've really lost all love for Nintendo in the last 10 years... still like my SNES and NES but nearly everything since (bar the GBA SP) has left me cold...

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
As much as I've been dying for a new Super Mario Bros game I just ain't liking that video much. It looks... alright.. I just really don't like the graphics much and I sure ain't buying a DS just for that...

I've really lost all love for Nintendo in the last 10 years... still like my SNES and NES but nearly everything since (bar the GBA SP) has left me cold...

Aren't there like a billion and a half other good games on the DS?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty leery of the game until I saw gameplay videos. Now I'm moderately interested and will probably get it the week it comes out.
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

Nope... Played on my ex-girlfriends DS and just wasn't impressed with anything but Castlevania and even that irritated me.

I hate that damn touch screen crap... The DS just doesn't appeal to me at all.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
I hate that damn touch screen crap... The DS just doesn't appeal to me at all.

i barely know you, but i can say with confidence that you have no soul.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna say that I agree with Dess here. How could anyone be turned off by something that lets us play games in a new and different way that just happens to make certain games possible that wouldn't have been before? Honestly, what games did you play on your girlfriend's DS that could make you think that the touchscreen is a bad idea? Castlevania? Mario 64? You've got to play games that were designed to use the touchscreen instead of ones that had touch-screen controls tacked on. Play Kirby, Warioware Touched, Meteos, Brain Age, Trauma Center, or Nintendogs then get back to me (not that these are the only worthwhile games, just the first ones that came to mind).

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate that damn touch screen crap...

d--d, naw. that shit is totally awesome for organizing your schedule or keeping your work and home contacts connected. it also helps you remember important dates.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm gonna say that I agree with Dess here. How could anyone be turned off by something that lets us play games in a new and different way that just happens to make certain games possible that wouldn't have been before? Honestly, what games did you play on your girlfriend's DS that could make you think that the touchscreen is a bad idea? Castlevania? Mario 64? You've got to play games that were designed to use the touchscreen instead of ones that had touch-screen controls tacked on. Play Kirby, Warioware Touched, Meteos, Brain Age, Trauma Center, or Nintendogs then get back to me (not that these are the only worthwhile games, just the first ones that came to mind).

-Wes

Apart from Castlevania I've played Nintendogs, WarioWare Touched, Yoshi Touch N Go, Mario 64 DS and something with Kirby in it (My ex had all of these) and I didn't enjoy any of them. WarioWare was the closest but I still found it just irritating to play and nowhere near as good as the very first WarioWare on GBA. (Twisted on GBA was crap too)

Sorry I just thought they all stunk. I just don't find the whole touch screen thing fun at all. I don't even like using touchscreens when I have to at the bank and jobcentre either. Just annoying. Hell I even have a stylus for my PC that I never use anymore mainly cos I just don't find that comfortable either. Not one of those games above had me wanting to come back for more and I wouldn't pay a thing for them. I don't wanna play games by using a pen or poking and rubbing the screen with my finger. That just ain't what I wanna do... But then the other games on the DS bug me cos the buttons are too damn small and close together. I keep trying to push one and end up hitting another with the tip of my thumb. Ended up using the stylus to press down the buttons so I got the right one. Nintendo doesn't seem to like people with large hands...

I'm glad you like your DS's but personally I have more fun watching my microwave cook a small pie. Maybe I'm just going off gaming in general since finding other activities I enjoy doing, but I still play a lot of emulated games including Nintendo and Sega stuff from before 1996, and my PS2 still gets a hell of a lot of use, especially with friends over. I dunno. I don't get it. I just don't think I get Nintendo anymore and haven't been since the N64 which I was massively disappointed with and only keep mine around for maybe 3 or 4 games (none of which are Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time, both of which I felt paled horribly in comparisson to previous SNES and Gameboy titles).

Now I should probably leave this forum. before I get lynched by Nintendo worshippers again despite the fact I think the NES, SNES, GBA SP were three of the greatest things ever and I still have my real consoles (cept the GBA SP which was stolen)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
Now I should probably leave this forum. before I get lynched by Nintendo worshippers

there's no need to be like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, on a New SMB related note I watched the IGN footage. Some people have been suggesting that Mario might be too floaty. Well, until I get to feel it for myself I'm pretty convinced that he's moving along at the same clip he did in Super Mario World. Which seems to be just a tad floatier than how SMB 3 felt - but that's still fine in my book. in a way it actually might make more sense here, given the new moveset. Guess we'll see!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
Now I should probably leave this forum. before I get lynched by Nintendo worshippers

You're alright man! I just feel sorry for you. You're going to miss out on a lot of great games. The DS might be my favorite system of all time.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm.

Am I the only one who thinks that Super Mario Bros. 3 had better graphics than this?

LJ -- Profile
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: DS...
I'd say the double screen is a bit gimmicky and posibly not worth the real estate (i.e. GBA SP has a better form factor IMO)

The touch screen does allow for some very cool stuff, but I would trade it for a decent nub analog stick. "Mario 64" left a bad taste in my mouth with the touch screen control.

Saw some of the video...the guy who linked to it pointed out how it was a bit freaky as Bowser remerges momentarily from the end of level lava, skin boiled away leaving only bones behind...
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

There's bound to be more than that.

I'm really looking forward to the new SNK vs Capcom Cardfighters game that's coming out (for reals this time).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
"Mario 64" left a bad taste in my mouth with the touch screen control.

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone disagree with you. Really though I can't think of any other analogue games for the system.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am awash in froth for this game (ew). But I feel like playing it on my 80's-reject phat DS would be shameful. I want a shiny new white DS Lite before I jump into New Super Mario Bros. I want its pastel genius to sit within a gleaming pearl shell, perfectly framed.

I wish I wasn't serious.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Yes, I am awash in froth for this game (ew). But I feel like playing it on my 80's-reject phat DS would be shameful. I want a shiny new white DS Lite before I jump into New Super Mario Bros. I want its pastel genius to sit within a gleaming pearl shell, perfectly framed.

I wish I wasn't serious.

I have to buy a DS Lite too. The DS I'm using isn't actually mine, it's one my friend bought while he was in Japan and never uses. He ended up letting me borrow it one weekend 6 months ago and he's never really asked for it back. I barely even play the thing and I get more use out of it in one week then he did the whole time he used it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nintendo doesn't seem to like people with large hands...

this is very true.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Nintendo doesn't seem to like people with large hands...

this is very true.
Don't say this! The market test police will come and give us another 1st gen Xbox controller!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Don't say this! The market test police will come and give us another 1st gen Xbox controller!

Uhmmm, I like that controller.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

good! fuck all you tiny motherfuckers!

ideally, ergonomically speaking, my joystick/thumbstick controller would be somewhere between 12 and 16 inches wide.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine a version of the DS which is proportioned exactly the same but scaled up 50%. This is an amusing idea to me.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
Hrm.

Am I the only one who thinks that Super Mario Bros. 3 had better graphics than this?

I'd say it had a better art style. The one here seems to be all over the place a little bit.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just incase you "large handed" think that the PSP is better suited for your... girth, think again. Your hands will obsucre more of the screen and feel more cramped than you think.

Also, I think that the term graphics is being misused. Graphics is not a subjective term, well not really. Aesticics and artistic direction are better words.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, just incase you "large-penised" think that the PSP is better suited for your... girth, think again.

i'm pretty sure no one from the land of tiny wittle people is going to be designing a portable gaming device i can use anytime soon.

it would be really cool if people on the subway used headphones and/or turned off the sound on their psp/ds before setting down for a half hour ride with the damn things blaring. like, super cool.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGQ Daily Penis Double Entendre™
dhex wrote:
ideally, ergonomically speaking, my joystick would be somewhere between 12 and 16 inches wide.

Back on topic, I was initially pretty lukewarm about the New Super Mario Bros. I saw the original video footage from when the DS was announced, IGN's glowing review, and any number of screenshots since, and was thoroughly noncommittal. After seeing some of these gameplay videos, however... well, I may have to plunk down a preorder for the game this weekend just to ensure I get a copy. I'm not sure what it was about the videos that struck me, or maybe it's just the wave of nostalgia that I'm getting--a few friends and I have been wasting our Saturday evenings away with Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World the past few weeks. Either way, I'm now completely intrigued.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Also, just incase you "large-penised" think that the PSP is better suited for your... girth, think again.

i'm pretty sure no one from the land of tiny wittle people is going to be designing a portable gaming device i can use anytime soon.

it would be really cool if people on the subway used headphones and/or turned off the sound on their psp/ds before setting down for a half hour ride with the damn things blaring. like, super cool.

The Gamecube controller gives me no trouble. But the DS makes my hand go numb after about 2 hours of harcore Mario Kart. It's a little upsetting. It happens a lot with GBA games too. I was playing DKC3 for GBA, and my hands go dead very very quickly.
Fucken having big hands Sad Stupid little people ;_;
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GBA makes my hands cramp up after playing sessions over an hour and my hands aren't that big at all. In fact, for some reason my arms like to go numb when I play the original model GBA... that's probably not a good thing.
B coma

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing SMB 3 on my DS tonight I realized I really lose some precision using the DS face buttons versus an NES/SNES style controller. Whether this has to do with the somewhat annoying mapping of the GBA buttons on the DS I'm not entirely certain, but I do know that the "clickiness" of the buttons makes precision platforming at crucial moments more difficult for me. The clickiness is nice for some things, but I sort of hope the face buttons on the Lite will have a little more give than that.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
After playing SMB 3 on my DS tonight I realized I really lose some precision using the DS face buttons versus an NES/SNES style controller. Whether this has to do with the somewhat annoying mapping of the GBA buttons on the DS I'm not entirely certain, but I do know that the "clickiness" of the buttons makes precision platforming at crucial moments more difficult for me. The clickiness is nice for some things, but I sort of hope the face buttons on the Lite will have a little more give than that.

I've never been able to play any of the Mario Advance titles on a DS for an extended period of time. They really need to have some kind of bios update on the Lite that adds an option to configure the button mapping for GBA titles.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OtakuPunkX said. I would gladly shed any form of Game Boy I have and only use a DS if it wasn't for this issue. Mario is impossible for me on the DS. Metroid: Zero Mission almost equally so. By default, GBA games should be mapped to Y and B, not B and A. If anyone ever stumbles across a homebrew hack for this, please keep me in the loop!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind being able to map L & R to the face buttons for some games too.

I'm starting to think that instead of buying a DS Lite I might get a PSP just because of that new, canonical Metal Gear game that was recently announced. I'll probably regret that decision in the long run, though, if I do follow through with it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might! But perhaps not if Loco Roco and Silent Hill tickle your fancy.
Faithless

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just played a little NSMB ... and I have to say, I don't like it. The control feels loose and rubbery, and the graphics bother me more than I thought they would.

I'm not sold on it at all. If it came out at a low price point, I'd consider it, but I don't think that's going to be the case.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I think you might! But perhaps not if Loco Roco and Silent Hill tickle your fancy.

I forgot about those. They've got Katamari Damacy too, and that Mega Man 1 remake.

I don't know. It just depends on how expensive gas ends up being this summer, because I have a feeling most of my money's going to end up in my car.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really liked the look of the new DS Mario Bros. It's something about 3D characters in a 2D world, I think... it would look a lot better if it was just really well-drawn sprites, or something. I keep reading that it's supposed to be the bee's knees, but looking at the videos and stuff... I'm just not buying it. Figuratively or literally.

And then they announced Yoshi's Island 2 for the DS and that Super Paper Mario for the Cube and I've almost forgotten all about it now.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very awkward to me. The aesthetics I mean. It has all the elements, it's just too bad that Mario is basically just a list of different objects and characters to put in a game.

The giant-form thing was pretty freaky!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
It looks very awkward to me. The aesthetics I mean. It has all the elements, it's just too bad that Mario is basically just a list of different objects and characters to put in a game.

That's basically all Mario games are now. I'd like to see Nintendo come up with a new Mario game that didn't have any of the traditional Mario elements in it, or used a different art style or something. People would see it as mindblowing, I'm sure, and it would sell millions of copies just because it's different. I just hope that they wouldn't make it an "urban Mario" kind of thing.

Speaking of which, did any of you guys ever play the PC Mario clone that added blood to the game? It was poo.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo might as well come up with a whole new IP if they're going to shirk all of Mario's elements, so I don't know if I can agree with you there. However, some things always need to change to keep a series fresh. What I've seen of Galaxy seems to be injecting some much-needed life into Mario. It's not just the Wii controller, but the whole presentation: walking upside down, launching from planet to planet. I think it's definitely the way to go for the series.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
It's not just the Wii controller, but the whole presentation: walking upside down, launching from planet to planet. I think it's definitely the way to go for the series.

making games more like the little prince is a direction i approve of.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Mario could be the astronomer who discovers and names Asteroid B-612. Italian is close enough to Turkish, right?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do people think of New Super Mario Bros. now that it's been out for a bit? I like the graphics more than I expected to, but from what I've played so far it kinda feels like a high-class imitaton of Mario instead of the next evolution of the series. I'm currently on level 3-1 and I don't feel like the game is that much better than Super Princess Peach. It's better than Princess Peach for sure, but it's not quite the "New 2D Mario Game" that I wanted.

I hope that this succeeds though so that they make a "New Super Mario Bros. 2" that lets you choose your character and fight through Mario's dreams to defeat Wart again. That would be awesome.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperW
es wrote:
So what do people think of New Super Mario Bros. now that it's been out for a bit?

i think its a good entry in the series. its no SMB3, but its still worthwhile even when trying to get all the star coins. it tosses surprises at you even until the very end.

however, something is missing.

I can't quite place my finger on it...
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I hope that this succeeds though so that they make a "New Super Mario Bros. 2" that lets you choose your character and fight through Mario's dreams to defeat Wart again. That would be awesome.

Wouldn't it though?

What would really be cool is if they integrated simultaneous co-op play via WiFi with that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: