The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I've got $500...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: So I've got $500... Reply with quote

...and the PSP comes out on next Thursday. What should I spend it on at launch? Keep in mind that I've already bought a Japanese copy of Lumines in preparation and that a copy of Meteos for the DS is in the mail right now.

Who else is getting one next week and what are they planning on buying along with it?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should spend it on printed copies of the magazine for all!

Or... Ridge Racers.

Yea, I am not getting one for a while. Not until it hits a pretty big price drop or there is a killer app that I cannot live with out.

Hell I don't even have time for games anymore.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for $500 you could get an ounce of really nice pot, some brownie mix and a pocket calculator.

i'm just saying.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does thepsp sucka cost, again?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 bones. Or 250 dollars depending on where you're from. And the games are around $40 each.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just avoid the Spiderman game...and probably the hockey one.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I just realised you could send me a birthday present if you want to spend the money around that time... like on the 26th... I have disegaea now, so I no longer will beg you for your copy.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I have my plan of attack down:

PSP System $250
Ridge Racer $35
Metal Gear Ac!d $35
Darkstalkers $35
Wipeout Pure $35
Timesplitters 3 (PS2) $45

Total =$425

I guess I'll use the rest on a case and one o' them puzzle games, Smart Bomb or Mercury. Or I could always just buy something useful. It's my Christmas present though, so I'm not sure... Smile

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

PSP System $250
Ridge Racer $35
Metal Gear Ac!d $35
Darkstalkers $35
Wipeout Pure $35

Total =$425

I guess I'll use the rest on a case and one o' them puzzle games, Smart Bomb or Mercury. Or I could always just buy something useful. It's my Christmas present though, so I'm not sure... Smile

-Wes

Thats pretty much what I'd do if I had the money. Sans Metal gear and Ridge Racer though, not that they are bad games, just not my flavor. I'd probably pick up Lumines, but you already have that. WipeOut Pure is the number one killer app for me on the system so far. That game will be the hotness.
Karii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game stores (EB) are alleging that they will only have hockey and....another one I forget on release day. Then again, it really sounds like a scam to make you pre-order psp games and hike their numbers to me.

Oh and don't forget a new memory stick. Apparently the one in the bundle sucks.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the memory stick in the bundle sucks? Tell me more. I assumed they were generally all the same.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off the top of my head (which seems more and more vancant nowadays) I know that the memory stick that comes with the system will allow you to save games and nothing else. (ie have room for mp3s or any of the other cool stuff they are reporting.) So, everyone that I talk to is adding an upgraded memory stick to the bundle when they buy it. (which adds to the basic cost) Honestly, I didn't know that you could just get the PSP by itself in the first shipment.

see?
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=search&searchword=psp

all bundles. You can't even pick your own set of games. I didn't check GameStop, I used to work there and thus dont' shop there anymore.

(sorry I am having psp irritation/jealousy at the moment Very Happy I want one but there are some deal breaker flaws for me and they just chap my ass - memory card, games flying out, game cost is the same as standard console systems, they ever-mysterious square button issues....*sigh*)
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has it been determined whether or not there's territorial lockout between Japanese and American systems? Last I heard it was suspected, but I hadn't seen anything definite.

As for me, I'm with shapermc. I'm all for being an early adopter, but $250 for the system with absolutely no extras at all is too rich for my blood, even though I could probably just barely afford one right now. I'll wait till at least the first $50 price drop, and until you can just walk into a store and pick one up. Plus, if there are territorial issues, I may get the Japanese one.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy any game that will be $10 or more cheaper in a few months (used). Ridge Racer will eventually be a "Value Hit", much like the rest of the launch line-up.

So! Basically buy two systems, and eBay them is what I'm saying.

"RARE PSPS OMGF it's a sony!! HOT DAMN BUY THEM NOW PLZ K THX"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
So has it been determined whether or not there's territorial lockout between Japanese and American systems? Last I heard it was suspected, but I hadn't seen anything definite.

As for me, I'm with shapermc. I'm all for being an early adopter, but $250 for the system with absolutely no extras at all is too rich for my blood, even though I could probably just barely afford one right now. I'll wait till at least the first $50 price drop, and until you can just walk into a store and pick one up. Plus, if there are territorial issues, I may get the Japanese one.

Hmm. Sounds like you're a bit off base on all accounts. Here's the deal:

For $250 you get the system with a carrying case, a pair of headphones with a remote on them, a 32 mb memory stick pro, Spiderman 2 the movie, and another disc with movies of upcoming games. In Japan they offered this one (sans Spiderman 2) for 25000 yen, or just the system by itself for 20000 yen. From what I've heard, the extras aren't really that great, but I don't think that's too bad and I'm actually interested in Spiderman 2.

And it's been confirmed that there is no territory lockout on games, but movies and music will have territory lockout. So basically I'm fine with that and I'd rather have the US version. I've got my Japanese PS2 to play import DVDs on Smile

So yeah, tonight I bought a 250 MB memory stick pro for $55. Let the spendfest begin!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

I got the PSP, Metal Gear Ac!d, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, and Darkstalkers Chronicles. I've had the system for a little over a week and thus far I am enjoying the games in the following order:

1. Metal Gear Ac!d
2. Ridge Racers
3. Lumines
4. Wipeout Pure
5. Darkstalkers Chronicles

So far I've been incredibly impressed with the system, much more than I was with the DS, but I still hold out hope that some of the upcoming DS games will revert me back to a DS pusher. I can say that I like Meteos much more than Lumines, and Kirby sounds like it's going to rock.

Don't you hate it that people feel compelled to compare the two systems even when they're not really very similar? Yeah, me too. Oh well!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I ask why Darkstalkers is on the bottom of the heap? It is the 2d graphics or does it not play well?

Just curious...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karii wrote:
Might I ask why Darkstalkers is on the bottom of the heap? It is the 2d graphics or does it not play well?

Just curious...

Because I played the crap out Nightwarriors on the Saturn almost ten years ago and there's not enough "new" there to encourage me to play it again.

It plays just fine, but there's also the issue that playing fighting games in single player is pretty much pointless. As cool as wireless multiplayer is, it's not really an option when none of my friends have it...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It plays just fine, but there's also the issue that playing fighting games in single player is pretty much pointless.

Not to mention that, well not having six face buttons sucks ass for 6 button fighters. AM I THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO CAN'T STAND THAT SHIT? WTF were you thinking!@@@!rnhfjdakshgfoadsj

bad night.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got used to play Street Fighter II using a SNES pad, so it's never been a problem for me.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoulder buttons are a bitch for fighting games

Its why I love the Saturn pad, 6 face buttons AND shoulders too!
Seriously, has the saturn pad EVER been bested? I don't think it ever will, hell, even the DC was a step back by having only 4 face buttons. Plus with the xbox and PS2 it seems 4 face buttons have become the standard again. (dont get me started on Nintendos pads, they are not revolutionary, they are just rubbish and haven't done a good pad since the SNES)

Oops, sorry for the derailing.

So, how well does the square button work?
MowAlon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see TimeSplitters 3 on your list there, but why for the PS2. TS3 has one of the coolest features ever for a console game - mapmaking and SHARING online. The XBOX is much better suited for the sharing of maps.

What's your reasoning?

-Alon

SuperWes wrote:

PSP System $250
Ridge Racer $35
Metal Gear Ac!d $35
Darkstalkers $35
Wipeout Pure $35

Total =$425

-Wes

Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MowAlon wrote:
What's your reasoning?

Maybe he doesn't have an Xbox.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, just a misprint. I got it on X-box. When I made my post I was trying to differentiate between the PSP and the console and I wrote PS2 instead.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm glad you went for XBOX. I tried the mapmaker last night and was displeased to find it less manipulable than I imagines. Still, a great feature, but for some reason I was expecting more. At least what's in it works well...

Oh, and to the suggestion that maybe Wes doesn't have an XBOX. Take my word for it - for any current system in existence, Wes has one or more, and chances are that any system (new or old) that you've even thought about owning, he has as well. Does the name F-Channel ring any bells?

-Alon
MowAlon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that part didn't sound mean. I didn't intend it to be.

MowAlon wrote:

Oh, and to the suggestion that maybe Wes doesn't have an XBOX. Take my word for it - for any current system in existence, Wes has one or more, and chances are that any system (new or old) that you've even thought about owning, he has as well. Does the name F-Channel ring any bells?

-Alon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: