The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Official Super Princess Peach Thread (For Girls Only)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: The Official Super Princess Peach Thread (For Girls Only) Reply with quote

Got Super Princess Peach last night. I'm currently on World 1-5 and I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's actually much closer to a "real" Mario game than I expected, and it's helping me to understand exactly what it is that sets Mario games apart from the breadth of generic 2D platformers that came out back in the day. Mario games are full of semi-secret areas that make you feel smart for finding them. It's a subtle thing, but going down a pipe to find a room with nothing but a few extra coins is really rewarding. Not because of the coins themselves, but because it makes you think, "hey, I found a secret that not everyone would have found." It's similar to the way Sonic makes you feel good for finding your own path to the exit, but much more rewarding in my opinion.

Has anyone else played Super Princess Peach? What do you think? What does or doesn't make it a "true" Mario game?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got to 1-4..

'tsallright.

its a mario game allright. a bit on the easy side but that's understadable due to the demographics invovled.
B coma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played my import copy pretty extensively before handing it off to Fried Chicken. Let me pull up some thoughts:

I too enjoyed the game, but wouldn't recommend it to everyone necessarily... I think a lot of people are expecting the second coming of SMB 3, and it's most definitely not.

I think a lot of criticism is going to be raised around the fact (heck, plenty already has!) that the game itself is too forgiving. And it is, to the degree that when the difficult sections do come up you'll be very much off guard. I didn't do this on my play through, but if the difficulty is a concern you can do yourself a favor and avoid purchasing as many life/fever meter upgrades as possible. Long story short, the game hardly penalizes you for doing things like taking mutliple dives into bottomless pits! Maybe avoiding the upgrades would balance that out a bit, maybe not. Perhaps they'll make difficulty adjustments for the US version, but I kind of doubt it. However, if you been following and enjoying Mario platformers closely over the years there is a lot to appreciate here, things to be found in the details: seeing Rex from Super Mario World cry, pretty much everything about the new ghost houses, and a most worthy Thwomp sequence near the end of the game.

I realized very quickly that Super Princess Peach is not really a game about platforming challenge per se, even though that occasionally enters the picture. Above all else the game wants you to absorb you in sights and sounds, and a bit of nostalgia as well. You already know what it's like to slide down a hill and take out a couple of Goombas in the second stage of SMB 3 - perhaps it was a bit dangerous the first time - maybe not - but damn, it was still pretty exhilarating. SSP revists this moment not by simply just recreating the mechanic, but by layering several hills on top of each other and piling a clausterphobic amount of Goombas on each of them, edge to edge. It's pretty much no contest for the enemy if you've played SMB 3 at least once, but hell if I didn't enjoy the ass-slidingpocalypse that ensued every time! That's the kind of game this is.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi d wrote:
a bit on the easy side but that's understadable due to the demographics invovled.

"And what is that supposed to mean?!" - PurpleChair's Inner Feminist
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Sushi d wrote:
a bit on the easy side but that's understadable due to the demographics invovled.

"And what is that supposed to mean?!" - PurpleChair's Inner Feminist

i was mostly referring to the fact that this game is definately meant for kids. especially because they havent got the hand-eye coordination that us geezers do. i guess i should've been more specfic due to the ongoing sexual war.

but yeah, as its been said, its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. although its a nice romp though and it has good level design.

it feels mostly like a nice stroll through a park. it makes me want to feed pidgeons or something.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a vacation, aside from all the kidnapping.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi d wrote:
ongoing sexual war.

i'm plotting your downfall as we speak, penismongers.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your penises! red hot penises right here! can't enjoy the internet without one!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could call it easy. I havent really been seeing that, but I'll have to admit that it's not really something I look for. I mean, sure, I haven't died, but I have had to put actual thought into how I'm going to get to some of the toads, and to me this is more interesting than getting killed in the same place until you get it.

Have you ever played Wario Land 4? It's a game where it's impossible to die (getting hit will set you on fire, turn you into a zombie, smoosh you, or make you fat, but you won't actually lose HP), but I wouldn't call it easy because you've constantly got to figure out how to get into the next area. This game has hints of that in it.

Suffice to say, I'm really enjoying it. Even with my penis!

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm really enjoying it. Even with my penis!

i'm going to let someone else make this joke. i'm above it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Don't even tell me that Princess Peach isn't hot...

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

'

Okay.

SuperWes wrote:

LITERALLY!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively:

SuperWes wrote:
I'm really enjoying it. Even with my meat stylus!

simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Alternatively:

SuperWes wrote:
I'm really enjoying it. Even with my meat stylus!

Hori extendable? *rimshot!*

Anyway, it's walk-in-the-park easy, which I really love. I don't think I play games for challenge anymore, so I'm not there to conquer anything, just to tour the world, collect points and buy new things intermittently. It's fun! Like Kirby: Canvas Curse (though with much prettier level design), it's really more about the travel than the destination.

But I can't shake the feeling: All the boys in a mess over the power of the vibe scepter? Are we actually talking subtext and undertones here? I'm not far enough in to really tell, but damned if those opening scenes didn't have me thinking it.

Oh, and I like the way it's fitting in minigames too.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
get your penises! red hot penises right here! can't enjoy the internet without one!

Do they come with wafers?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
I played my import copy pretty extensively before handing it off to Fried Chicken. Let me pull up some thoughts:

Thanks again for that! I'm enjoying it much more than my other two recent DS games, Bleach and Ganbare Goemon.

B coma wrote:
I too enjoyed the game, but wouldn't recommend it to everyone necessarily... I think a lot of people are expecting the second coming of SMB 3, and it's most definitely not.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it to be such a reference to Super Mario World, which it is much more than SMB3. That idea was cemented when I reached the first level with the rotating 3-platform things (not sure what else to call them).

And yes, it's forgiving, but in a lot of ways (excpet for the Star Road), so was SMW. It was more about exploration than extreme platforming skill-- for me at least. In that respect even the fetch quest aspect with the toads, the musical notes, and the puzzle pieces succeeds, since to find them all you need to thoroughly explore each level. My only problem, having said that, is that often the exploration only involves taking each of several obvious paths; in SMW, sometimes you had to find a second exit by flying under the finish line, etc. And the bosses aren't that challenging, really, once you figure out what combination of emotions are needed to beat them.

But still, it's really nice that a bestiary is included (even if I can't read it in the JP version), and that many of the enemies have multiple emotions (angry koopa, sad koopa, happy koopa, etc.) that have them behaving differently.

Strangely enough, a friend who also has the game complained that it's too stylus-intensive. I guess he means that you have to activate the emotions that way, but I find that to be a pretty shallow complaint. Obviously he's never played Nanostray, which is similar, but it's very different to have to coordinate dodging bullets and enemies with changing weapons. But that's another post, right?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Strangely enough, a friend who also has the game complained that it's too stylus-intensive.

That is odd. Aside from the pre-boss stuff and mini games I don't use the stylus at all. He should really be using his finger to touch the screen.

I'm still really enjoying Princess Peach. I just reached world 5 this morning and I haven't missed a single toad yet!

I want to hear more about Bleach and Goemon for the DS. Both look really interesting to me.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: