The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Shigeru Miyamoto, over-rated?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Is Shigeru Miyamoto, over-rated? Reply with quote

Is Shigeru Miyamoto overrated? Twisted Evil
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

So are commas.

Last edited by simplicio on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Miyamoto overrated. That's nice.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shigeru Miyamoto may not be the all-knowing rockstar God that the games media paints him as, but if you don't admire the hell out of SMB1's design, you are wrong.

Somebody talk about HAL and EAD and Gunpei Yokoi because I know there's a story there and I don't know exactly what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually admire Gunpei Yokoi and Shigeru Miyamoto on about the same level. Both were really amazing designers. Very Happy
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name one thing he's done that's so great.

Since the year 1996. Name one thing he's done that's so great since the year 1996.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think he's more overrated on the Zelda front. What he's done historically is amazing; his concepts have always been first rate, especially for the first game or two of a series/genre. And that's huge. The man is a creator of genres. The problem lies in when those series continue and things just remain the same, while people people just give him more and more praise. But people go the whole nostalgia route with his stuff, so Wind Waker, which is Ocarina with Cell Shading and sailing (or Link to the Past with Cell Shading and sailing and 3D, if you want to get into it), gets ten times the attention of Pikmin, which, whatever the execution, is a fantastic new idea, but without the strong protagonist of Link or Mario or Samus it will never be deemed "classic".

So I guess my answer should be: Only be people wrapped up in nostalgia.

Which is, unfortunately, most gamers.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:

Since the year 1996. Name one thing he's done that's so great since the year 1996.

Pikmin.

More later.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definately put Pikmin in the classic column, but I'm certain simplico hit the nail on the head here. It's almost like he had a span of time to establish all his brands and past that there's just been no space to push in new ones.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is over-rated, it's the Final Fantasy series creator, Hinobu Sakaguchi (did I spell his name right?)
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hironobu.

Praise / disdain and actual worth are pretty much impossible to balance, especially in media so large as "journalism" or "the internet." There probably aren't as many Miyamoto critics as there should be. There are probably more Uwe Boll critics than there should be. Etc.

A lot of people think I'm overly hateful. I think everyone else is overly loving.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Pikmin.

I think Marco was referring to Gunpei Yokoi.

And the answer, according to Wikipedia, is the Wonderswan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:

Hm, I'm not sure about post-1996 (Wonderswan, maybe? And plus, I mean, he died in like, 1997), but if you look at what he did before, it's pretty goddamn incredible.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Pikmin.

I think Marco was referring to Gunpei Yokoi.

And the answer, according to Wikipedia, is the Wonderswan.

I know who Gunpei was.

Miyamoto. The thread is named after Miyamoto Shigeru. I'll spell out my posts better in the future. If I wasn't drunk, I'd swear to God then beat you all to death withh ... bottles of BBQ sauce. Cheap BBQ sauce is still sold in nice, heavy glass bottles, you know. Asshat.

Miyamoto lost his touch decades ago.

SuperWes wrote:
Pikmin.

More later.

I'll wait, you swarthy Spaniard!

Pikmin is one of the goofiest RTS games I've every played, and that includes Cubivore (although I personally consider Cubie to be a dungeon crawler).

It's like a mix of A Boy and his Blob and Lemmings. Both of which games where you tooled around, playing with the lives of thousands of lesser beings. Lemmings was a fucking awesome game. Comparing Lemmings to Pikmin MIGHT show you the trapped and childinsh gameplay in Pikmin. It's like comparing Star Trek to Star Wars. Hell.

Dammit, now I want to play me some Vectorman. With invulerability turned on. Trash, trash, trash...
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing Star Trek and Star Wars is sort of a futile project, aside from being set largely in space they are totally different creatures with totally different goals. Pikmin is very decisively a console game as Lemmings is so decisively a PC game.

And you only toy around with one lesser being's life in A Boy and his Blob.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was thinking of the Game Boy one?

Nope. The different powers to solve puzzles and get around thing is in both. Just like using different Pikmin to solve puzzles and get around.thing.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the guy did bring us the Revolution controller and whatever other secret the Revolution will have. Though I didn't really like anything he did between the SNES - Gamecube period though.

Let's talk about the guy who made The Legend of the Zelda: The Link to the Past! He made Animal Crossing, didn't he?

elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of my childhood revolves around Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64, both of which he supervised. I like a lot of other stuff, too, from the Zeldas to the older Marios and all that.

I still haven't gotten around to Pikmin, though. Should've picked that up at the Gamecube launch...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say overrated as much as overcredited. He's credited as Producer on a ton of games from Super Mario Bros. 3 to Geist, but how much work he actually put into these games probably fluctuates greatly. Regardless, if you look at the body of work he's been involved in (did you know he was the Producer on Earthbound? I had no idea) he's certainly been a part of everything important that Nintendo has ever done, which in turn makes him a part of most non-technical innovations that the industry has seen.

So yeah, I actually think he's underrated.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyamoto seems (to me) to be some kind of natural genius when it comes to gameplay. Nintendo just seem to be over-relying on him, or at least his reputation. It's pretty impossible to know exactly what goes on inside Nintendo, but I get the impression that they bring him in on a lot of their projects just so he can rub his hands on the design docs and hope that some Miyamoto magic will rub off on it.

And he's getting older. Pikmin's all about gardening. Nintendogs is all about looking after your pet. I can't imagine him coming out with an exciting new title as energetic as Mario or Zelda. He's a bit like Hayao Miyazaki in that sense - his work seems to be very personal, so you can't really expect him to be making the same kind of things now that he was 10 or 20 years ago.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, i'm not convinced he's all that much more "magical" than any other, lower-profile developer.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
I know who Gunpei was.

And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't, really. Feel free to school me.

DonMarco wrote:
Miyamoto. The thread is named after Miyamoto Shigeru. I'll spell out my posts better in the future. If I wasn't drunk, I'd swear to God then beat you all to death withh ... bottles of BBQ sauce. Cheap BBQ sauce is still sold in nice, heavy glass bottles, you know. Asshat.

Well, fine. It just struck me as viciously humourous to ask what Gunpei Yokoi did that was worth a damn between when he left Nintendo in shame and when he got hit by a car. The sort of joke you might make about a man you admired less.

Frankly I'd find hearing about the excellent stuff that he's responsible for, as well as perhaps some talk acknowledging that people work in teams on videogames and, you know, Yokoi and Miyamoto worked together on stuff in the early days, and maybe there are some other people with funny hard-to-remember Japanese names who work(ed) at Nintendo doing interesting stuff -- MobyGames seems to suggest the same director did Mario Paint and WarioWare, and had his hand in the design of the original Metroid; maybe we should be talking about Hirofumi Matsuoka! -- all of that would be more interesting than bickering about whether one man really has the cold hands of genius or not. That's kind of why I brought him up.

Persona-sama wrote:
Let's talk about the guy who made The Legend of the Zelda: The Link to the Past! He made Animal Crossing, didn't he?

Takashi Tezuka produced Animal Crossing and directed Link's Awakening, which is to my understanding superior, though I've never played Link to the Past. Hell, he's credited as a director on the original Zelda, and was assistant director on SMB1. Let's talk about him, yes!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunpei Lives!
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where Dessgeega's coming from. I mean, look at some of the amazing games released, past and present. What makes Miyamoto that much greater than other designers? I'm not really convinced either.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Shigeru Miyamoto may not be the all-knowing rockstar God that the games media paints him as, but if you don't admire the hell out of SMB1's design, you are wrong.

Ah, yes that would be called hype (or latching onto a figurehead/spokesman). I agree that he has been linked to some of my favourite games and created some very iconic characters. However, we don't really know what his current role is. As long as we enjoy games that are linked to his name then, great.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
ApM wrote:

Ah, yes that would be called hype (or latching onto a figurehead/spokesman).

That is the most awesome thing I've ever heard. You honestly believe that Super Mario Bros. is a popular game because of "hype?"

At the time SMB1 was created, Shigeru Miyamoto wasn't a figurehead/spokesperson. He was just a dude who wanted to make toys. In fact, it wasn't even Nintendo that made Miyamoto into a figurehead/spokesperson, it was all of us gaming geeks. I'm willing to argue that Miyamoto really doesn't care whether or not he gets the praise he's been getting, but he's willing to do whatever to make his company look good and retain whatever freedom he's got there. It was his talent that made him into a spokesperson/figurehead in the first place. And yeah, we all know who he is, but people outside of the gaming internet group, and even a lot of us within don't have any clue who he is. If anything, other developers are underrated and Miyamoto deserves a lot more praise than he's getting.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

that's another good point, though. neither that game, nor any other game credited to shigeru miyamoto, was created by one person. the previously-mentioned takashi tezuka is credited with directing super mario bros too. and who are we to determine who did what work on what aspects of a game's development?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
I know who Gunpei was.

And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't, really. Feel free to school me.
DonMarco wrote:

Well, fine. It just struck me as viciously humourous to ask what Gunpei Yokoi did that was worth a damn between when he left Nintendo in shame and when he got hit by a car. The sort of joke you might make about a man you admired less.

I didn't ask anything about Gunpei. I have no idea what post you were reading. The text YOU quoted has me saying "Miyamoto! This thread is about Miyamoto!!! What did Miyamoto do since 1996? Miyamoto!!!!!!!!" Miyamotooooooooooooooooooooo.

Comparing Genpei to Shigeru is pretty apples to oranges. Genpei was behind hardware, back before computers were fast or in competition with handheld consoles. The specs weren't imortant. Maybe 5 people in the world would actually care about them. He and his team designed the hardware, the shell and the possible capabilities of a portable NES. Which was his job. Figuring out which 1982 computer chip would allow more than 15 sprites on screen at the same time. How many sound channels the processors could handle. Balancing the cost-per-unit with technical capabilities.

The long lifespan and continuation of the "game boy" moniker is a tribute to the man. Not how there isn't (as of yet) a concrette sucessor to the Game Boy. The DS is, at best, an alternate, but not a gaming machine because every one of the games is limited if and by how it uses the touch screen/mic/etc.

Gunpei built a machine for games to be played on. The DS is a machine with games designed for the DS. You can't have multi-system ports, like in the old days. Think back to when Mortal Kombat was released. There was a SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear version. But that's just Midway maximizing it's availability and console presence. Multi-system releases from a first party? Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was released on the Genesis and Game Gear. Nintendo has never really done this. They never really had to. They're fucking Nintendo.

Which is off-topic. Who knows what Gunpei thought of the DS. Or what sucessor to the GBA SP he had. He's fucking Gunpei Yokoi. He made handheld systems what they are today. And I respect that. He never dreamed of walking on clouds or flowers that allow you to throw fireballs or princesses. He was a tech nerd and practically created every advancement in handheld gaming, popular or not.
purplechair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:
What makes Miyamoto that much greater than other designers?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any designers who have made such consistently great games across a range of genres, let alone the fact he's still going strong a few decades later. Who else? Yu Suzuki? I know it's not like he handcrafts every cartridge himself or anything, but there's clearly some common element that has made the games he's worked on so great. I can only guess he brings some kind of general design philosophy to the project.

For example, I remember reading an article in Edge about the making of The Wind Waker, where one of the guys working on it described Miyamoto's "table test". Basically, they work on a game for a few months, see how well it was going and what kind of themes it was bringing up, and then Miyamoto just "flips the table over" and they start again from the top, having learned the lessons from the first round of development.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any designers who have made such consistently great games across a range of genres, let alone the fact he's still going strong a few decades later.

i'm not sure i would describe the current zelda and mario franchises as "going strong".
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
ApM wrote:

Ah, yes that would be called hype (or latching onto a figurehead/spokesman). I agree that he has been linked to some of my favourite games and created some very iconic characters. However, we don't really know what his current role is. As long as we enjoy games that are linked to his name then, great.

Do you want analysis? Here. I'll turn that into an article, one day.

Are you claiming that he wasn't a large driving force in the design of SMB? I'm pretty sure there are interviews with the man out there where he talks about his involvement with SMB which would disagree.

You might also notice that I didn't say "Shigeru Miyamoto singlehandedly created SMB1 with one hand tied behind his back". In fact, later on in this very thread I go on to namedrop Takashi Tezuka, who was assistant director on SMB1, and whose name is attached to some other fine games. I'd very much like to hear about his role in the process!

DonMarco wrote:
I didn't ask anything about Gunpei. I have no idea what post you were reading. The text YOU quoted has me saying "Miyamoto! This thread is about Miyamoto!!! What did Miyamoto do since 1996? Miyamoto!!!!!!!!" Miyamotooooooooooooooooooooo.

I wasn't suggesting you were -- I was merely explaining why I thought you were referring to Gunpei. There! Cleared up.

Also:
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

between the livejournal and whispered apologies, it's a double qwantz attack.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that Miyamoto gets paid about as much as a secretary by Nintendo?
purplechair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
purplechair wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any designers who have made such consistently great games across a range of genres, let alone the fact he's still going strong a few decades later.

i'm not sure i would describe the current zelda and mario franchises as "going strong".

Wind Waker would have been great if they'd put in the other half of the game - four more dungeons, and more subquests not on Windfall Island and it'd be a worthy successor to the throne. As it is, it's merely good. It still knocks shit like Starfox Adventures into a cocked hat.

Besides, I wasn't talking about the franchises so much as Miyamoto himself. Pikmin scared and confused me to begin with*, but now I love it, and I hear Nintendogs is quite popular.

*You might say that this was the sign of a bad game, but I started playing the original Zelda recently and I was even more scared and confused at the start of that. No introductory cutscene?! No helpful training section to teach you the basics of combat?! Then I remembered playing Golvellius on my brother's Master System, and that all games used to be like this. Stupid modern life, making me all soft and weak!
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

Are you claiming that he wasn't a large driving force in the design of SMB? I'm pretty sure there are interviews with the man out there where he talks about his involvement with SMB which would disagree.

You might also notice that I didn't say "Shigeru Miyamoto singlehandedly created SMB1 with one hand tied behind his back".]

I think we've misunderstood each other here, I was just saying that Miyamoto had become someone the press can latch onto. SMB is good (although I prefer the later games) although a bit too rock hard later especially with the lives limit.

ApM wrote:

It's the opposite of the Zelda philosophy of "show the player something he cannot do." It's, "show the player things that he could've been doing all along." It's a more subtle attempt at an exploration game than Zelda ever was.

Great analysis, I was watching a program about Chimps today where they found a hollow cavern inside a tree and thought this was great. I'd love to see a survival (LIB)/exploration game where you would get random "rewards" (edible bee hives, medicinal fruit, supply crates), in different hidden locations as opposed to prescripted things. The Mario games tend to offer a lot more fine grain interaction than modern titles. How many modern games allow you to do things like throw the koopa shells at enemies, or reward you for setting up scoring multipliers. Or the option of avoiding all the enemies in a level, or kill them all, or somewhere in between.
SFC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
What he's done historically is amazing; his concepts have always been first rate, especially for the first game or two of a series/genre. And that's huge. The man is a creator of genres. The problem lies in when those series continue and things just remain the same.

Indeed, his best work has always been when he's creating new IP. I think perhaps he has grown bored of Mario.

There's only so many ways one can redress the same ideas, without fundamentally altering them. At which point, why not simply scrap the old idea (or IP), and start afresh.

Pikmin is a good example. Imagine how much less of a game it would have been, had Nintendo forced Miyamoto to create it using Mario IP? You controlled Mario, who would guide mini Goombas or other mushrooms around the mushroom kingdom. Or maybe you controlled toad, with an army of his smaller brethren.

It's the same with Kojima. I'd rather see what NEW content he can come up with.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFC wrote:
Indeed, his best work has always been when he's creating new IP. I think perhaps he has grown bored of Mario.

This is why I brought up the over-credited thing. Miyamoto seems to have his hands deepest in the first games in a series and then lets the rest of his crew take over for the sequels. I think the most recent games that he was deeply involved in were Pikmin and Nintendogs, before that it was Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64. The man is simply too busy to have complete control over more than few games per generation, but he still gets credited for anything with Mario in it. How much work do you think he actually put into Earthbound?

SFC wrote:
Pikmin is a good example. Imagine how much less of a game it would have been, had Nintendo forced Miyamoto to create it using Mario IP? You controlled Mario, who would guide mini Goombas or other mushrooms around the mushroom kingdom. Or maybe you controlled toad, with an army of his smaller brethren.

Did you know that Olimar's (the main character of Pikmin) name is Mario in Japanese spelled backwards? Wonder if Nintendo made him do this?

Last edited by SuperWes on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyamoto chose the name for the main character in Pikmin because he's not very creative in that way. His creativity is focused squarely on the tactile player interface. Which is why it's good he's in this industry.

_Marcel Duchamp
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds logical. Isn't his degree in drawing construction schematics or something?
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just really a big kid, and he's also very honest. Him naming the hero in Pikmin Olimar, while simple, is about the most "artistic" thing he's ever done. I mean, turning Mario around? He's trying to be serious business, but... hmmm... God I love drinking.

_Marcel Duchamp
disneyland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shigs is the one who insisted the plug be pulled on Twilight Princess' '05 release.
He wants full Revo compatibility. Not a bad idea.

I think he's a very intelligent, passionate and gifted man that has improved the quality of video games. Considering my role right now, I owe a lot to Mr. Miyamoto--both creatively and emotionally.

Picking him apart in this thread is nasty business.
BrokenFiction

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clearest praise you can get is from your peers, and Miyamoto is universally admired in his industry. Admittedly, that can be an insulated group, but it speaks volumes with regards to how many developers he's influenced over the years.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that Miyamoto gets paid about as much as a secretary by Nintendo?

As a paycheck for salary, perhaps. I am sure that royalties and bonus would still make him a ton of money. I mean, if you really look at the President of the US paycheck you would be a little supprised, but look at how much he can use as "job expenses" and can take for "campeigining"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: