The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ebert says, "Games aren't art"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

First he said:

Roger Ebert wrote:
Q. I've been a gamer since I was very young, and I haven't been satisfied with most of the movies based on video games, with the exception of the first "Mortal Kombat" and "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within." These were successful as films because they did not try to be a tribute to the game, but films in their own right.

I have not seen "Doom," but don't plan to, nor do I think that it's fair to say that it pleases all gamers. Some of us appreciate film, too. That said, I was surprised at your denial of video games as a worthwhile use of your time. Are you implying that books and film are better mediums, or just better uses of your time?

Films and books have their scabs, as do games, but there are beautiful examples of video games out there -- see "Shadow of the Colossus," "Rez" or the forthcoming "PeaceMaker."

Josh Fishburn, Denver

A. I believe books and films are better mediums, and better uses of my time. But how can I say that when I admit I am unfamiliar with video games? Because I have recently seen classic films by Fassbinder, Ozu, Herzog, Scorsese and Kurosawa, and have recently read novels by Dickens, Cormac McCarthy, Bellow, Nabokov and Hugo, and if there were video games in the same league, someone somewhere who was familiar with the best work in all three mediums would have made a convincing argument in their defense.

Then he said:

roger ebert wrote:
Q. I was saddened to read that you consider video games an inherently inferior medium to film and literature, despite your admitted lack of familiarity with the great works of the medium. This strikes me as especially perplexing, given how receptive you have been in the past to other oft-maligned media such as comic books and animation. Was not film itself once a new field of art? Did it not also take decades for its academic respectability to be recognized?

There are already countless serious studies on game theory and criticism available, including Mark S. Meadows' Pause & Effect: The Art of Interactive Narrative, Nick Montfort's Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction, Noah Wardrip-Fruin and Pat Harrigan's First Person: New Media as Story, Performance, and Game, and Mark J.P. Wolf's The Medium of the Video Game, to name a few.

I hold out hope that you will take the time to broaden your experience with games beyond the trashy, artless "adaptations" that pollute our movie theaters, and let you discover the true wonder of this emerging medium, just as you have so passionately helped me to appreciate the greatness of many wonderful films.

Andrew Davis, St. Cloud, Minn.

A. Yours is the most civil of countless messages I have received after writing that I did indeed consider video games inherently inferior to film and literature. There is a structural reason for that: Video games by their nature require player choices, which is the opposite of the strategy of serious film and literature, which requires authorial control.

I am prepared to believe that video games can be elegant, subtle, sophisticated, challenging and visually wonderful. But I believe the nature of the medium prevents it from moving beyond craftsmanship to the stature of art. To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers. That a game can aspire to artistic importance as a visual experience, I accept. But for most gamers, video games represent a loss of those precious hours we have available to make ourselves more cultured, civilized and empathetic.

I know we've got a lot of Ebert fans around here and a lot of fans of games as art. Is Ebert in any way right with his statement? I read somewhere that the most emotional pieces of games are often the non-interactive parts, and this is true to some extent, and certain goes toward proving Ebert right. But I know that this isn't always the case. Is Ebert in any way right? What games would you personally present to Ebert to best make your case that games are capable of making us more cultured, civilized and empathetic? Does gaming have its Kurosawa?

I would personally present him with Phoenix Wright. It's the Maltese Falcon of Video Games!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that it was funny when he implied that if there were any notable videogames on par with great author's/director's works, someone somewhere surely would have brought them to his attention.

Interesting question wes.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cares? who really fucking cares if something is art or not? how little does the term "art" mean now, when everyone is an artist?

(hint: very little. almost totally worthless as an identifier of value. and ridiculously different from the same word just a century ago)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video gaming doesn't have any "old masters" yet. There's Ralph Baer and Nolan Bushnell, yeah, but they're simply the originators of the medium, not masters of game design. Games need figures at their helm, giving each work a vision and purpose. As an industry, gaming doesn't have enough of these figures, and more importantly not enough figures striving towards an "artistic" end.

I'm guessing that we'll start to see some of these figures after miyamoto retires.

I'm guessing there's some logical fallacy out there that can be assigned to Ebert's first statement. There must be because I guess someone somewhere who was familiar with the workings of logic would have made a convincing argument in Ebert's defense by now. Confused
nICO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's actually kinda right in that videogames probably aren't worth his time right now. There really is nothing that can compare to the best works of cinema and literature. The closest you're gonna get is SotC, Majora's Mask, and maybe Metroid Prime. As well as a few others that might be in that league.

That still gives him no reason to outright reject the entire medium of course, and is not to say that truly great games will never be made.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
who cares? who really fucking cares if something is art or not? how little does the term "art" mean now, when everyone is an artist?

(hint: very little. almost totally worthless as an identifier of value. and ridiculously different from the same word just a century ago)

This is at least the 5th time you've said this. Say it again. I don't think you're winning the crowd over, yet.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Video games by their nature require player choices, which is the opposite of the strategy of serious film and literature, which requires authorial control.

roger ebert should play more shooters.

anyway, i think that the celebritising of game directors is bullshit when games aren't made by a single person or small group. kenta cho is fabulous; jeff minter is fabulous; treasure (as a development house) is fabulous. shigeru miyamoto - what does he even do, any more?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is at least the 5th time you've said this. Say it again. I don't think you're winning the crowd over, yet.

i'm going to keep saying it. because a is a, dammit.

and also because this is a taste thing, a generational thing, etc. can anyone really point ebert in the direction of a game which would be as enriching for person x, y or z (i.e. someone over the age of 40) as a beautiful film or an engaging novel or whatever their particular medium of choice is?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
anyway, i think that the celebritising of game directors is bullshit when games aren't made by a single person or small group. kenta cho is fabulous; jeff minter is fabulous; treasure (as a development house) is fabulous. shigeru miyamoto - what does he even do, any more?

not enough.

And true enough, as well. Celebrity game directors seems to be what Ebert's searching for, as I see it. When he talked classic films and novels, he's naming names, not eras, movements, or groups. It seems legitimate to praise Nintendo for releasing good games; nobody cares if Random House published some awesome novels.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
shigeru miyamoto - what does he even do, any more?

Umm, Pikmin is pretty fabulous. He did Nintendogs too. I think he probably just experiments with different ways of interfacing with characters.

Seriously though, I think the main problem with most games as emotional experiences is that the visuals and audio often exist purely to enhance the text on screen or move the story along. These things are very rarely done with an emotionally impacting goal in mind as they are in movies. In my mind, the merging of visuals and audio to create a specific emotion within the player was Silent Hill's most significant advancement. It's a shame that the feeling of fear is not classy enough to be considered cultured, civilized and empathetic.

We all name drop Rez and SotC as examples of games as art, but really, what emotion does Shadow of the Colossus instill in you? Can the feeling of adventure really be classified as artistic? Ico was more empathetic in the end. What about Rez? It draws you in using sound, visuals, and vibration, but really is this all-consuming feeling an emotion that enhances our lives in any way?

I'm not dissing these games. I think they're great, but I'm not sure that they're really at a level where we should be teaching them in schools.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
shigeru miyamoto - what does he even do, any more?

Umm, Pikmin is pretty fabulous. He did Nintendogs too.

i mean, what work did he actually do in the creation of these games? i know he has his name attached to them. but each of those games were created by a large team of programmers, designers, illustrators and musicians. each of whom could be held just as responsible for the game's development.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

Roger Ebert wrote:
.... someone somewhere who was familiar with the best work in all three mediums would have made a convincing argument in their defense.

Where is this mythical superbeing and why haven't they been captured and pressganged into service?

Additonally: If those art-qualified movies of the directors he cited are held in high regard in any part because of their dialogue, then they're guilty of building on the foundations of the printed art-qualified dialogues that came before. Point being that I have a hunch all art-qualified mediums needed to reformat old glories in their infancy in order to lure the old critics into applauding them.

Games are just now reaching the technological point where they can borrow from previous achievements in paint, sculpture, and film. Likewise, game designers are just now getting to the point where they'll think about borrowing a little from the rich history of the written word instead of leaving the text (and plot) for chimps to write. Which is precisely why this knower-of-all needs to be captured and properly utilized...

Anyhow, my point is that Roger Ebert *is* an old critic, however great he may be, and perhaps he'll care more when games start to incorporate more of the greatness of their forebears.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
Point being that I have a hunch all art-qualified mediums needed to reformat old glories in their infancy in order to lure the old critics into applauding them.

Where's our The Birth of a Nation?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen a few directors mention that "obviously, though my name is on the credits, it requires thousands of man hours from dozens of people to do x, y and z" etc.

however, it is seen as the director's because it is his "vision," at least in the sense that ebert is probably talking about "great" film and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than anything I think Ebert is making a challenge to gamecritics everywhere to really analyze a game and present it in a manner in which we can take it and look at it as a piece of high art.

I mean, there are at least a few games out there worthy of anyone's praise. I mean, as consumers of high culture what games would you stack up against Citizen Kane and Candid? There has to be at least one. Earthbound comes to mind. Maybe Silent Hill. Half Life? I think these games just haven't been looked at by the public with the right framework...

_Marcel Duchamp
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly kind of see his point. Give the player enough leeway, and your game isn't really saying anything. But what Ebert is missing is that it's entirely possible to herd the player into making the choices that the designer wants them to make.

In fact, it's really difficult not to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think missile command is on par with citizen kane as a work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I honestly kind of see his point. Give the player enough leeway, and your game isn't really saying anything. But what Ebert is missing is that it's entirely possible to herd the player into making the choices that the designer wants them to make.

In fact, it's really difficult not to.

Will Wright would disagree. So would God. Also, Will Wright may be the most normal person with a God complex, ever.

dessgeega wrote:

Sometimes it's actually kind of cute how you try to do that thing where you're so different.

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Sometimes it's actually kind of cute how you try to do that thing where you're so different.

it's kind of cute when you try and demean/belittle me. no wait, the word i was looking for is "don't be a douchebag".

i do consider missile command to be one of the most effective uses of the videogame medium. i'm not of the opinion that only modern games are allowed to be "art". i think they're the most cluttered and misdirected, in fact.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Gilbert wrote:
Given the fact that Roger is not a game player, and that there is enough debate about this very subject from within our industry, this is not surprising.

The one line that really jumped out at me was this:

There is a structural reason for that: Video games by their nature require player choices, which is the opposite of the strategy of serious film and literature, which requires authorial control.

"Authorial Control".

1) Is Authorial Control necessary in art? Is Art someone expressing an idea, and therefore requires there to be a someone behind the idea?

Yes, I think this is true.

2) Do games have Authorial Control?

This is where I disagree with my childhood hero Roger Ebert.

I think games need and have Authorial Control. There has to be someone at the helm who is giving us their vision for the experience. Movies have a Director, Books have a Author, and Games have a Designer (titles in games in a complex issue I won't get into here).

I don't think Roger has thought about this. He sees toys and doesn't see the person or people behind them and that is our fault (dear lord... when will be stop screwing up).

Take GTA:SA. Who designed it? I don't know. I could probably look it up but I won't because I shouldn't have to. During the debate about GTA, where was the designer? Why was he or she not speaking out, letting us know why they did things the way they did, defending their art? Did I miss it?

During the controversy surrounding Natural Born Killers, Oliver Stone was very vocal about the film and his vision behind it.

This is why the games industry needs more visibility to the people behind the games. It is this humanizing that will ultimately pull them into the realm of art.

I somewhat agree wih the "art" as a non-issue sentiment. Games are doing something new, and much like when films started, we still have yet to know how fully we can use them as a medium. As an artistic ground, yes, it's debatable, but there's no denying it is a medium that we can use and reinvent it, and it can go places and inspire all kinds of emotions. It is still young, though. It's kind of like questionning comics as valid works.

When I play Earthbound, Ace Combat 04, Rez or even Half-Life, American McGee's Alice, Brothers in Arms or Rolling Thunder, I do feel affected and taken, and there are themes running and being presented to the player, aesthetics being shown and worlds' to lose yourself in. I can feel the same way playing "silly" games like Sonic, Earthworm Jim, Tetris or Streets of Rage. Does it make it art? I don't fucking care. If people are going to dismiss a lot of good games because they aren't "artistic", fine, they're missing out on experiences. It's really a trivial point in the end, because people keep redefining what art is anyway. Just as you have bad games and bad comics, you have tons of bad books, music and movies, even among the Holy Cow classics.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i do consider missile command to be one of the most effective uses of the videogame medium.

I never did doubt that you did. I do doubt that you can rationalize that for the rest of us.

_Marcel Duchamp
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

I think something behind it is the idea that if games aren't toys for wee'uns, if they're just like movies, people like Jack Thompson will go away. Also, things like girlfriends against games will suddenly become horrible anti-art movements. Think self-interest.

Personally, I think videogames will more likely go the way of the TV show than of movies.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, poor kids.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1122/p02s02-ussc.html

as the esa has realized, they don't go away. they're merely bought off. (hence big ticket fundraisers)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've been reading Donald Richie's A Hundred Years of Japanese Film recently, in which he discusses how early movies were just existing stage plays shot on film, curtains and everything, and how early moviemakers enlisted known theater talent to give the new medium popular viability. Now, if I were an avid theater-goer of the time, I might well think of this new film thing as a novelty, an amusement with no serious artistic purpose. It has no color and no sound, first off, and generally just fails to compare to the real thing.

Now Roger Ebert, who has a career based around movies and movie analysis, why would we expect anything else out of him? Just as that theater-goer saw only an aping of the stage, Ebert sees a medium inspired by movies which is unable to comform to the system and qualities by which he's accustomed to judging them. He has a point that games are largely unartistic currently and most of the industry isn't even trying to move in a more artistic direction, but he also doesn't play them and isn't invested in trying to figure out to potentials of the medium. In his mind, games are currently like those first couple decades of film, before productions on location and featuring sound and color and camera movement and lighting tricks and all the rest.

In my mind, we're closer to all that than he thinks. I just played Shadow of the Colossus (which he didn't), wherein I controlled a man in a reprehensible, selfish quest to revive his girlfriend at the cost of the lives of innocent beings. I did not agree with his quest, yet I controlled it anyway with a sense of awe and dread and sadness, and I don't know if the language exists yet to name the precise emotions I felt about it. On a side note, my non-gamer sister saw some of it as I showed it to her almost-gamer husband. He didn't quite get the subtleties of it, and she mocked it the whole way through. So as far as games have come, they may have the longest way to go in terms of public perception, and EA and Ebert aren't helping a bit. And if you must know, Agro apparently has an enormously fat ass.

Also, Dess: if you're going compare Missile Command to Citizen Kane in a single sentence without any explanation to back up your statement, don't take offense when someone labels you contrarian. Really now.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
ApM wrote:
I honestly kind of see his point. Give the player enough leeway, and your game isn't really saying anything.

Will Wright would disagree. So would God. Also, Will Wright may be the most normal person with a God complex, ever.

Will Wright makes games that go out of their way to avoid making a point. They... listen, rather than talk. It's sort of new.

I'm not trying to say that this isn't worthwhile in its own right. But, you know, my second sentence stands.

Re: Missile Command, I could've sworn there was an excellent excerpt from J.C. Herz's Joystick Nation: Obnoxious Subtitle online somewhere that got into it, but I can't find it now. This isn't a terrible quote, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fuck Washington, D.C., fuck New York, fuck Atlanta, I'm taking care of Madison, Wisconsin."

_Marcel Duchamp
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

player 2 wrote:

simplicio wrote:
Also, Dess: if you're going compare Missile Command to Citizen Kane in a single sentence without any explanation to back up your statement, don't take offense when someone labels you contrarian. Really now.

Missile Command is every bit as "statement"-ey as, say, Dr. Strangelove, though comparing it to Citizen Kane seems apples and orangutans to me. Anyhow, explanations don't fit on t-shirts, but this would:

"MISSILE COMMAND >= CITIZEN KANE"

(Maybe with a discreet "gamersquarter.com" on the back...)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the kicker:

was missile command set up to give that particular statement - i.e. the futility of futuristic intercontinental ballistic warfare - or is it just because it makes for a compelling game at a time when design was predicated on a play until you die mode?
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it did say "THE END" rather than "GAME OVER", once all of humanity was obliterated.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missile Command is so sparse, does the intent matter so much when the result is as clear as it is?

dessgeega wrote:
i'm not of the opinion that only modern games are allowed to be "art". i think they're the most cluttered and misdirected, in fact.

Yes.

I think we should just stop bandying the word art around and start using "meaningful."

Ebert is pretty much right in dismissing games as they are, right now. How many videogames have we produced that stand 100% on their own outside the context of the medium and have something to say? Besides Missile Command. And Wright's games are something different, yeah... Shadow of the Colossus is close, but misses the mark. It's there when you fight the vulture (#5), unless you take too long climbing on and hints start appearing.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Missile Command is so sparse, does the intent matter so much when the result is as clear as it is?

yes, because the end result is the same as pretty much every other game of that era. you play until you lose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can anyone tell me as to how modern games are misdirected as artistic compared to new ones?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I think we should just stop bandying the word art around and start using "meaningful."

Quoted for emphasis.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question I have is whether a majority of movies could be classified as cultured, civilized and empathetic? Assuming not, what is it that sets the movies that fit this criteria apart from the rest of the crud?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just compare and contrast.

(or rather, ask someone who's into films to do so for you, as i would just say well, take mr. clancy here and take james j. jesus joyce there and see what they do differently, i.e. why is one the greatest gift to literature in human history etc etc and so forth and no buck mulligan isn't gay why does everyone keep insinuating that from a few dozen paragraphs at the beginning of telemachus though if i had my druthers i would sure like to live in a martello tower such old stones appeal to me)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think missile command is on par with wargames as a work.

maybe?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
but really is this all-consuming feeling an emotion that enhances our lives in any way?

There are two things in recent memory that are both contradict with Ebert (“Video games by their nature require player choices, which is the opposite of the strategy of serious film and literature, which requires authorial control. “) and answer your question.

*SPOILERS AS THIS RELATES TO THE ENDING OF 1:SOTC AND 2:MGS3*

1: The part at the end of SotC where you have no chance of reaching the girl on the table yet are given the ability to try for as long as you want. Your only choice is how long you are willing to hold out. I can’t say how long I did for sure, but it was quite a while. It was a fight against the inevitable and ultimately hopeless.

2: The pulling of the trigger for The Boss.

All that said, both film and games have tons of crap layered around the gems. The gems of film are brighter and more abundant than those of games in most cases.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I guess the question I have is whether a majority of movies could be classified as cultured, civilized and empathetic? Assuming not, what is it that sets the movies that fit this criteria apart from the rest of the crud?

-Wes

All a successful movie needs to do is to tell a story through primarily visual information, and do this well. It's true! Try taking a blind person to a movie with you and most of the time she'll be totally lost. While music, sound, dialogue, and so on are all important, it's the visual aspect that's the medium's strength. Conversely, a successful play is built on the strength of it's dialogue, and so on.

To tie this back in: A good film SHOWS you instead of telling you to impart something. So a good game just has to PLAY with you to do it. Or "pong" at you, whatever. It has to come from play, not cut-scenes or scripted events.

So a game has to be able to tell you a story (you can replace this with "impart knowledge" or whatever makes you happy) via the way you're interacting with it. This is why people keep subverting Cliffy B.'s narratives, besides the fact they probably aren't worth preserving: he's trying to make movies you can control. Except games are games.

Shaper, I agree with your examples, but the problem is that you only came up with two examples in about 30 years of gaming. Which is what leads me to believe we aren't there yet.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did it just now hit me that videogames are the perfect medium to significantly explore the implications of game theory?

I mean. Game theory. Duh.

Can anyone think of a game with a solid prisoner's dilemma?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prisoner's dilemma?

Personally I'm quite happy with the idea that games may represent multiple perspectives and may, perhaps, use player agency as their defining feature. I don't think games have delivered any meaningful stories on a large scale yet. On the other hand, how do we determine what's meaningful when this depends largely on personal circumstances?

Funny that I feel pretty strongly about Missile Command too, whatever the intent was.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of older games contain so many abstractions as a technical matter of course it's very easy to project onto them. See: Lucky Wander Boy.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of a man somersaulting off a cliff while sucking his own johnson.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
This thread reminds me of a man somersaulting off a cliff while sucking his own johnson.

So you could say he's really going out with a splat, eh?

I like this thread, by the way. It's better than the one at Insert Credit.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just getting kind of sick of the whole "are videogames art?" discussion that starts up every month whenever some random cultural figure makes a statement about how videogames are inferior to other established media.

It's all bullshit, really. It reminds me of all the damn editorials I read about how "science fiction is really literature, check out these examples, and, well, you know, the Odyssey and the Bible are science fiction... so there" and all the other editorials I read that said "comic books are really art, because, dude, the first humans to draw a man stabbing a deer were really drawing the first comics."

It's waste of time and it depresses me, because it exposes a gaping hole within the soul of man.

Anyway, Toups has an article coming up that will once and for all end these discussions. It's going to be a wired Hiroshima that will answer every single damn question that you've brought up, without you knowing that you've been bringing them up in the first place. I suggest you wait for it.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory that the phrase "This is/isn't art" was added to the lexicon as a snappy way to pick on Yoko Ono.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Anyway, Toups has an article coming up that will once and for all end these discussions. It's going to be a wired Hiroshima that will answer every single damn question that you've brought up, without you knowing that you've been bringing them up in the first place. I suggest you wait for it.

You have a lot more confidence in me than I do!

I still need to finish that damned thing. I think I know how to do it.

If only I didn't have like, two other research papers, too.

ARGh.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ebert says, "Games aren't art" Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
We all name drop Rez and SotC as examples of games as art, but really, what emotion does Shadow of the Colossus instill in you?

Wonder, awe, fear, elation, triumph, regret.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I'm just getting kind of sick of the whole "are videogames art?" discussion that starts up every month whenever some random cultural figure makes a statement about how videogames are inferior to other established media.

...etc, etc, etc...

It's waste of time and it depresses me, because it exposes a gaping hole within the soul of man.

Well, you know; idle hands.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:

I have not nor am I arguing about "art" here at all. I am, however, attempting to contradict that games are inferior to film and lituature ("I did indeed consider video games inherently inferior to film and literature"). I am over the art comments.

dark steve wrote:
Shaper, I agree with your examples, but the problem is that you only came up with two examples in about 30 years of gaming. Which is what leads me to believe we aren't there yet.

Well, I do agree with Aderack’s initial comments on Ebert, that he is right, we are not there yet. Occasionally we get close, but our misses out weigh our hits ten-fold. And I only gave two recent examples because I was really busy with work. There are quite a few others (not tons) but those two came to my head as soon as I read Wes' comments. For me Morrowind was full of these kinds of things as you are required to project yourself onto the character.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but everything is inferior to literature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: