The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an adventure in little miracles (SEGA CD THREAD)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: an adventure in little miracles (SEGA CD THREAD) Reply with quote

EMERGENCY!

my sega cd + genesis 2 just arrived. it came with two identical adapters (pictured), but neither will fit in the sega cd (pictured)! i just wrote to the person who sold the package to me. someone knowledgable about sega cds (faithless faithless faithless) help me out!

can i get an adapter at radio shack that will fit? someone clue me in!

Last edited by dessgeega on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY THE RIGHT ADAPTER.

You know my story.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what's the right adapter!

i need to know!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, the seller said he's sending me the correct adapter.

so. victoly!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you weren't lucky enough to have the seller send you the right adaptor, there's a rather easy way to figure out what you need. First, look on the bottom of the electronic device in question, or even next to the power jack. It should list the voltage required by the device (most early game systems run off of 9V) and the polarity of the plug (the center pin is usually negative). Once you have this information, you've got two options:

One, RadioShack. Bring the device in question until you find an adapta-plug that fits your device, then select the power adaptor with the proper voltage. Adapta-plugs can be attached to the power adaptor so that the center pin is either positive or negative, so you'll have to make sure you hook it up properly. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN FRYING YOUR SYSTEM!! (I have yet to have that happen, but just to warn you.) Do not ask the store employees for help, as more than likely they will be clueless--this is RadioShack, after all. Expect to be assaulted with "CAN I HELP YOU FIND ANYTHING??" the moment you step in the door, and at least once more during your browsing. Also, don't expect to spend less than $15 on the required parts, as power adaptors at RadioShack are made with, like, gold and platinum wiring or something that causes them to be ridiculously expensive. This is the easiest option, but certainly not my preferred one.

Two, thrift stores. Places like Goodwill, Value Village, the Salvation Army, and others will invariably have a basket somewhere of tangled AC adaptors. Bring your game system with you (it helps to show it to store employees upon walking in so they don't try to charge you for it) to make sure you get a plug that fits. Make sure the plug you buy says something on it about output, and that it outputs the same voltage as required by your device. Also pay attention to the polarity of the center pin. Thirdly, check the amperage on the adaptor--most game systems require 850ma, and the system itself will sometimes say so around the same area where the voltage is listed. You may end up having to pay as much as (*gasp!*) two dollars, but the prices are usually significantly lower.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this works for you, Dess. S'funny, I've been bugging Shaper via IM lately that I want, nay need a Sega CD. Until I get one, I would love to live vicariously through your purchase. Document your Sega CD experience for me, Dess!!
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salvation Army/Goodwill suggestion is a good one for those on a budget. I've tried to find an appropriate adaptor at Radio Shack before, only to find that it's priced significantly more than the eBay acquisition was.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Document your Sega CD experience for me, Dess!!

of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to get your Sega CD on.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yeah. i got the new adapter in the mail today, and it's the same as the last one which fail to fit.

i guess i need to get to radio shack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to play!? Ecco? Sonic? Sewer Shark??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switch. silpheed. maybe penn & teller's smoke & mirrors (just cause i like s&m play, ho ho).

of course, before i play these games i will have to get my sega cd to actually work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess please press the start button already

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how you can turn on a sega cd for the first time and not sit for ten minutes just watching the logo dance in space. most of y'all won't read faithless's brilliant sega cd story until issue 6 is release, but it's all true.

so. ApM suggested to me that my jaguar adapter (which had been powering my game doctor sf7) would probably work with my sega cd. sure enough, it does!

with that done, i set about burning some cds. (the promise of relatively free games is how i was able to justify paying for the console.) i used saturn cue maker to make the cues and alcohol 120% to burn them - except alcohol wouldn't work, giving me an error about unsupported file types.

so, again at ApM's suggestion, i converted the mp3s into wavs, and alcohol burned these just fine. silpheed was the first game i played on my sega cd, and it ran just about perfectly.

i burned the european version of sonic cd (since i like the music better than the american) and the sega cd would not read it. i need to find the american version.

and then i burned panic! which i will write about in more detail later, as it may be my favorite thing about the sega cd. it will run, the intro movie will play - and then all tracks after the second will be garbled noise, like a typewriter chewing on power cords. i don't know why all the tracks except the second burned like this, but it breaks my heart.

is anyone else more knowledgable of these things?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silpheed seems to be the only game where the tracks actually burned correctly. all of my other burns are filled with horrible computer screeches ;_;

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the European Sonic CD goes, you're probably getting hung up because, despite the SegaCD having no copy protection, the CD is most likely burning as a European region game, which your NTSC/UC SegaCD doesn't like. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a program to patch SegaCD disc images to a specific region--I know such a program exists for the Saturn, and I'd be willing to bet money that there's one for the SegaCD as well. Google something like "SegaCD region patch."

And if you'd have mentioned that you had a Jaguar adaptor, I would have suggested trying that! I just assumed that all of your other adaptors didn't work; now that I think about it, you DO have a Model 2 Genesis, which is a strange, strange beast. But anyways, that 9v 1.2A adaptor is the 'sweet spot' for old consoles: it will power the Genesis, NES, Jaguar, original PC Engine (I think; it's been a while since I sold my PCE Core for a Supergrafx. Either way, the adaptor WON'T work for the TurboGrafx-16) and even distortion pedals for a guitar! Yes!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those audio problems happens sometimes because you burned the CD at too fast a speed. These are old lasers that read the data. Burn the disc at 4X speed or less if you have it. It takes for ever, but that was the only way I could get Snatcher to work with proper audio.

Also, yes, as St.Louis said, you need to patch them. I told you this once (you must have forgotten) that I bought the Japanese version of Popful mail (because it was exceptionally reasonably priced) and was pissed when I learned that the SCD was not copy protected but region coded.

Also you need to yousendit.com the Switch file with the cue and wav files to me because I still can't find it. I can swap a few other items with you.

PS: Learning how to properly burn SCG games is a pain in the ass, and you forget everything quite easily if you don't do it for a long time.

PPS: I watched the logo dance around for a good 15 min my first time.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local game shop is selling Tomcat Alley plus a couple of other games!

Goddammit, Sega CD = NEED. More pics 'n' vids, Dess!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also you need to yousendit.com the Switch file with the cue and wav files to me because I still can't find it. I can swap a few other items with you.

How about... here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
How about... here?

No matter how many times I try, I cannot download ANYTHING from Underdogs right now. Not since they came back up. I get to the point where you enter the security code thing and it says "Oops!" and gives me all kinds of options for what might have gone wrong, but none of those things work.

Funny! This problem happens after I donated money to them (you don't miss something 'till it's gone).

Faithless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. You can burn SegaCD games and use them ...

Wait. What? Wait. Really? REALLY?
I need to get hopping on this whole internet thing.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:

Yes, but have someone on IM that can help you out because it is a HUGE pain in the ass to do. Also, like, I can send you a ready to burn Snatcher... *hint*hint*

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Those audio problems happens sometimes because you burned the CD at too fast a speed. These are old lasers that read the data. Burn the disc at 4X speed or less if you have it. It takes for ever, but that was the only way I could get Snatcher to work with proper audio.

i've been burning them at 8x speed! i'm not sure i can burn them lower!

also i'm not sure if that's the problem because when i try to play the cds on my computer the audio sounds scrambled there too!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this just in!

nero burns the tracks correctly!

victoly!!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i just played switch/panic! on my real live sega cd.

it is probably my favorite thing about the sega cd. it's a game about pressing buttons! in fact, it's a game about the fact that our society has packaged every action a human being can perform - cooking, cleaning, warring - into buttons. and the dangers we put ourselves in when the only skill we have is the ability to push buttons. we are at the whim and mercy of those buttons.

and that's also why anyone can play the game! everyone knows how to push a button. it's an amazing game to play with people, especially people who are more casual gamers. that was probably the factor that made me finally purchase a sega cd.

matt sent me a program that will theoretically allow me to bypass region protection and allow me to play a burn of the european sonic cd on my american sega cd. that will be my next endevour!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the program (convscd110) worked! the game run, though the fmv was oddly choppy. but it didn't affect gameplay, and i got to hear the excellent euronese/japapean sonic theme instead of the american one! the music cut out during tidal tempest 2 though, and when i cleared the stage the game froze. weird! i will try the game again later and see if the error repeats.

i did get to play the collision chaos pinball boss, my favorite sonic boss of all.

next i will burn bouncers, an excellent game that ApM recommended to me, and then ecco. at some point i'll burn snatcher - once i'm up to replaying it. after that, i'm open to suggestions.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Bouncers is actually excellent. It's certainly bizarre. The disc is mostly filled with extraneous "bonus" FMVs that are awful and occasionally disturbing. But it had Jeff Tunnell behind it! I pronounce it, Best Dynamix Game For Sega CD That Wasn't Rise Of The Dragon Or Willy Beamish.

I just burned "The Mansion of Hidden Souls", which is a cheesly FMV 3D-rendered Myst clone by Vic Tokai about a mansion that turns people into butterflies. I find it... oddly charming? I appreciate the lack of cursor a lot.

And I think you'll find the FMV is oddly choppy on nearly every title you play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think sentient basketballs trying to bounce off each other's heads into the baskets is pretty excellent.

it does feel like the fmvs are just there to justify the game being on a cd when it doesn't need to be. i'm starting to get the hang of it, though.

i remember reading about the mansion of hidden souls when i was little and being thoroughly creeped out.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to watch the magician's video, where he kills a child in cold blood.

I'm trying to vidcap it for the benefit of this thread.

EDIT! Oh dear!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
EDIT! Oh dear!

"oops."

hey, dragon's lair and wing commander were both published for sega cd! also that very interesting dune adventure/strategy hybrid game!
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to play Mansion of Hidden Souls since I saw the first previews for it back in the mid-nineties. I think it was because the game seemed to compensate for its low resolution and rudimentary renders by making everything a very iconic, odd colour. It is the main reason for me to get a Sega CD, even if it sucks.

On that note, does anyone have the old issue of GamePro where they review that game?

Glad to see you're back in business, Dess!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Sega CD. There were so many awesome games released for it (it helps that I like FMV, in which case... Ground Zero Texas is one of the best on the system).

Keio Flying Squadron is also great fun.

But anyhoo, look around on the net for ISOs with CUE files. Makes the job very easy.

Tis a great system, IF you actually play the decent games on it.

I'm assuming you also managed to test out Popful Mail now, seeing as you had trouble loading it on emulator?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh... Just dloaded The Terminator for the Sega CD. MUCH better than the dreadful Genesis version, though I'm not entirely sure how to burn it. I've got the ISO, and a whole bunch of audio files, but no CUE file!?

I've only dealt with plain ISOs, or if they've have audio, I've had CUE files. So chaps and chappettes, any advice for a rotten pirate such as myself?

Arrrr!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this.

I don't know why those lazy pirates don't package up cue files, but they're easy to generate.
Faithless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Faithless wrote:

Yes, but have someone on IM that can help you out because it is a HUGE pain in the ass to do. Also, like, I can send you a ready to burn Snatcher... *hint*hint*

Hint hint. HINT. HINT.
PUNCH!
Faithless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: I've never played SonicCD with the original soundtrack ....
SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:

I haven't either. I own a Sega CD and the US Sonic CD, but I think I may burn a copy of the Japanese Sonic CD to see what everyone was talking about.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Try this.

I don't know why those lazy pirates don't package up cue files, but they're easy to generate.

You're a wonderful human being ApM; you have helped further my nefarious criminal activities. For that I thank you. Once I take over the world, rest assured you will have your slice of the pie!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:

it's definitely worth hearing. i can, uh, send you a copy patched to run on american hardware hint hint etc.

also, john, i've been using a program called "saturn cue maker" to make cue files to burn. it's pretty easy!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
Hint hint. HINT. HINT.
PUNCH!

;_;

Sorry, I ended up exceptionally busy. Tonight! I promise. Also I am going to forward you something for in the mean time.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i played sonic cd again! this time the music cut out on tidal tempest 3, and when the screen faded to black at the end i thought it'd frozen. false alarm! i left it on and it loaded, it just took a while! i think it's more a playing-burned-cds issue than a region-protection-patch issue.

so the ending movie has the same starts and stops as the intro. everything else seems fine, though!

i'm up to THE LAGOON in ecco!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think it's more a playing-burned-cds issue than a region-protection-patch issue.

AHA! No, it is the brand of CDs you are using. I was having that same problem with some games, and I just bought a good non-cheap brand of CDs and the games started to play fine.

dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, slower burn speeds! AND WAIT FOR IT TO VALIDATE JEEZ
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!

i've been burning these at 8x, which is as slow as my drive will go. i'm doing the best i can!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my drive won't go lower than 8 either. I think using silver CDs will help too. I find those funny coloured green, blue and pink CDrs, while fine for PCs, don't run so well in games systems (they came in a massive pack of 3 colours, I didn't actually specifically buy pink CDrs).

EDIT:

Might as well add, that since this topic I've been really getting back into Keio, and also having a lot of fun with Terminator (a surprisingly good film license!). I'm also tempted to get back to Spiderman VS Kingpin, which was greatly imporved over the rather poor Megadrive version.

Man, I love the Sega CD. There were many, many great titles hidden away on it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hey! heart of the alien! pretty unnecessary! but it comes with another world.

i've also been playing an fmv game, time gal. it actually telegraphs the button presses that are expected of you pretty clearly, so it's not that cheap. except for the "time stops", of course (multiple-choice puzzles with two out of the three choices leading to death).

i have been playing the mega drive sensible soccer a little bit and am considering burning the sega cd version.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPEAKING of my newfound curiosity in fmv games, i remember reading way back in the day about a first-person fmv street fighting game, and i've always been curious. does anyone know what i'm thinking of?
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His name is Woody. WIIIIILLD Woody!

So far, not nearly as much SKEEE-ETCHIN' as you might expect.

I also played some Road Avenger tonight, and man! You wouldn't expect a game about racing cars and swerving through traffic and making other cars explode and crashing cars through buildings and crowded boardrooms to be so BORING.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: