The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resi Evil: is really updated Zork?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Resi Evil: is really updated Zork? Reply with quote

Not really news to anyone, but I think that Resident Evil (I've been playing the GC remake) is to a large extent an update on some of the ideas behind games such as Zork. In the way that you can push pull etc certain items wall tapestries, movable shelves etc, and examine items in greater detail. If it weren't for the zombies and monsters, it would be a pure adventure- not one that particularly taxes the mind but still an"graphic/point and click" adventure.
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that I like about it is the way that it uses audio/visual clues to hint about upcoming traps. Ie. The bit when you pick up the shotgun has the stand rise up to hint that something has changed. It doesn't just spring the trap on you.

I'd like to see a fully 3d adventure(-action game) like this where you control the interaction with a "hand" like in Black & White, so you can grab rugs from the floor and pull them aside to find the hidden trapdoor, or put the eye-gem into the statue.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like... Myst?

Also: I would be happy if I never saw another adventure game where you had to put an eye-gem into a statue again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. adventure games are probably best when the actions you take actually make sense in the game world. Ketch, you should play some riven probably.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elements of the adventure games are present in many genres, but I agree--I do very much enjoy these derivative meshes (not that I'm the biggest fan of RE, either, mind you--I've played Sweet Home and RE4, really, that's it. a little of RE1) of the genres of yore.

I mean, I don't really like games like Zork (that is to say, IF games). So sue me. I'm not so foolish as to deny their historical merit and their potential fun. Occasionally, I can go for "A Mind Forever Voyaging" or something. But it's simply my personal tastes + the way I was brought up to expect images with my adventure games. I love to read, but I simply feel more engaged in the experience when I can feel like I'm "in" the world.

But, yeah. RE may trick you with its trite puzzles and its frantic action (trying to position yourself in the god damned right direction), but at its heart its an adventure game.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Also: I would be happy if I never saw another adventure game where you had to put an eye-gem into a statue again.

I agree 110%
As for RE being compared to adventure games of any genre, or adventure games in general, I must agree. The original Resident Evil(s) up till 4, were adventure games at heart. The aiming and combat system also furthered this, since it was so sticky and slow. However, 3 started to change this. None the less, it's an interesting comparison that I never made.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to see a fully 3d adventure(-action game) like this where you control the interaction with a "hand" like in Black & White, so you can grab rugs from the floor and pull them aside to find the hidden trapdoor, or put the eye-gem into the statue.

Trespasser! Ha!
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(What I'd really like to see though would be a combination of the interaction in the puzzles in Resident Evil, with the "puzzles that make sense in context" of Half-Life 1/2, so that instead of having a linear 3d shooter you would have a game in an immersive 3d world filled with excitement, where you would have to solve puzzles and interact with the scenery and characters to progress !)
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw this thread in the thread list I sort of half-smiled.

This is basically what I've been trying to tell my friends for years.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that it is an adventure game (at heart) comes in the Advice for when you get stuck: Examine everything, and Save often. Which are the two main rules of playing adventure games.

Likewise, the arbitrarily limited inventory can be seen in games like Colossal Cave Adventure. Actually, I was surprised not to be eaten by a grue in dark areas of Resident Evil (do Hunters count). Anyway, it proves that adventure games can be updated, if Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Myst, SOS Final Escape / Disaster Report,Zelda, Metal Gear Solid and other such games hadn't already? It is just a question of having talented designers able to explore this route of graphical adventures.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

I find the oddity of some of the puzzles and items to be charming, maybe because I have fond Zork-memories. And what exactly are all those removable medalions doing lying around anyway? My wife tells me she gets a lot out of that aspect of RE because she enjoyed playing King's Quest back in the day, but I really can't comment on that-- I never played it.

Regarding the lineage, I think it goes Zork>Myst>Resident Evil. Anyone care to fill in some more links in the chain? Zork>Myst is an awfully big leap...
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this?
ADVENT>Mystery House>King's Quest>Maniac Mansion>King's Quest V>Alone In The Dark>Resident Evil

Alone in the Dark is the important step, of course. I sure love those French game designers. Especially Frederick Raynal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Disaster Report.

I have heard nothing but good things about this game, and yet cannot find it at any used game store. A shame really, because hearing it mentioned again in the thread makes me want to play it more now.

I should also get around to playing Myst. I know I should.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
Ketch wrote:
Disaster Report.

I have heard nothing but good things about this game, and yet cannot find it at any used game store. A shame really, because hearing it mentioned again in the thread makes me want to play it more now.

I should also get around to playing Myst. I know I should.

Disaster Report is one of those games that's more interesting than fun, really.

And the only real reason to play Myst these days is to give you an idea of where things were before Riven. Luckily, you can get them both (along with Exile, which isn't worth your time) for $20 in a DVD set.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone played Uru? I played for about an hour, then my pizza came and I forgot about it^.

Although I've actually heard some interesting things about it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uru is pretty great. it's a lot more videogamey than riven, though it still has that layer of detail that lets you suspend your disbelief. the last expansion, path of the shell, is a bit more coherent than the initial game. and there's less jumping.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the multiplayer work, exactly? Never quite understood that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: