The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Gamers Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: "Gamers Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility" Reply with quote

Peter Moore made the following statements in a recent interview:

"Nobody is concerned anymore about backwards compatibility. We under promised and over delivered on that. It's a very complicated thing... very complex work. I'm just stunned that we have hundreds of games that are backwards compatible."

He added: "more are coming, but at some point, you just go, there's enough, let's move on, or people aren't as worried about a game being backwards compatible - and I like to think we've upheld our end of the bargain in making at least two or maybe three hundred games backwards compat."

What the hell is up with this? As an Xbox 360 owner I know that I'm concerned about backwards compatibility. I know that every time I go into the store I'm more tempted to buy the Playstation 2 version of a game instead of the Xbox version simply because it would mean that I no longer have to keep that hunking black box under my TV. I really don't understand how backwards compatibility isn't a priority for them, but releasing classic games on Xbox Live arcade is. There's some sort of dichotomy there. Are original Xbox games not classics? Would it not be beneficial to keep people playing games on your system instead of a competitor's during the month-long lulls between interesting releases? I actually agree with Moore's PR speeches more often than not, but this one I vehemently disagree with. Microsoft has let me down as far as backwards compatibility goes and if they have already stopped supporting it at this point then they shouldn't even consider it a feature. I'd almost rather have no BC at all than the half-assed job they've done so far.

Fucking Peter Moore.

Fucking Microsoft.

Ok. Rant over.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I agree with the above poster.

This is the same guy from the "what about your backwards compatablitiy," "HARD HITTING FOR EGM 1up.COM OMG" interview... right?

What a fuck tard.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
wourme

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty interesting thing to say. I don't care about XBOX backward-compatibility because I don't have an XBOX and there are only a couple XBOX-exclusives that even casually interest me. But if the new Playstation or Nintendo weren't backward-compatible, I'd wait significantly longer to get them, rather than considering them whenever my current consoles give out (or maybe sooner). It seems that this would be a primary selling point.
macdonaldez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Concerned? Troubled also Reply with quote

I concur gentlemen. I also think the issue of backwards compatibility shouldn't even be an issue, because it should be a given. It's sort of understandable in the case of the 360, since they changed graphics card manufacturers or whatever, but they are definitely doing fans a disservice.

Er, are Gunvalkyrie, JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta compatible with 360?...
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 360 had been fully backward compatible, I would probably have bought one at launch.

Because it's not, I ended up buying a second-hand xbox off eBay and the 360 has slid down my priority list by about 2 or 3 years.

(Given how much money they lose on hardware sales, I can't tell if that's a good or bad thing from their perspective.)

I guess if I already had an xbox and had played all the games, I wouldn't be so bothered. It's just, as a convert, I wasn't going to pass up on four years' worth of xbox games (and PS2 ports, since I don't have one) just because Microsoft told me to.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does indeed seem like a whole lot of horse shit. The single exact reason I didn't buy an Xbox 360 is that it wasn't properly backwards compatible. I don't like to horde systems; if I can trade in one for another and not lose functionality, all the better. So knowing that I could play Halo 2 but not Doom 3 was a pain in the ass, and thus far I've skipped on the new console.

Is Microsoft deaf or blind or what?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got to be kidding me. How important is backwards compatibility in the first place? How often do you break out your DS and say "dammit, that's right, I can't play Dragon Warrior III on this".

Looking over the Xbox library, how many games will you honestly want to play some where down the line? Four, ten, twenty maybe? The only games the 360 can play right out of the box is Halo and Halo 2. Gee, you think that's an amazing coincidence? No, because 90-95% of all backwards compatibility concerns were over those two stupid games. Not Panzer Dragoon Orta or Call of the Chuthulu. Fable 2, DOAX2, Halo 3... Jesus, it's not like sequels are rare and "unwanted" in the modern marketplace.

Look at the most sucessful backwards compatible systems. The GBA SP, the PS2 and the Nintendo 64. The GBAs (except the Micro) had an extra processor to handle the older GBC/GB games. Without it, you can see how small the GBA could be with the Micro and the DS. The PlayStation 2 wasn't 100% backwards compatible with PS1 games until the slim model release. Finally, the N64 could play almost any SNES and NES game you slapped into it with certian illicit itemsfrom Hong Kong.

Just wait until the PSP, PS3, Wii launch. The first two will be emulating through software, like the 360. And of the three, I'd bet my money on Nintendo. Like fuckign hell if I'm going to pay for games I already own again, but it's my understanding that not all gamers collect for older systems. Every new system I got, it was not worth selling off my Saturn or PS1 or N64 for $40-50-100 whatever. I figured that down the road, if I wanted to play them again, I couldn't bet on the use games market and the first party gods. Look at how Mario was butchered on the GBA. Look at how almost-perfect Sonic emulation was in the PS2/GC/Xbox. Look at how Nintendo handled the NES ports at $20 each.

I will gladly not sell my Xbox and all the games or ever play them on my 360. Same for the PS2, GameCube and 360.

Last edited by DonMarco on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the idea that Microsoft half-thinks that if they say it, it must be so. So then, "gamers don't care about backward compatibility", and voila!

Yeah, it's just that attitude (along with many others reasons, granted) that kept me from buying a 360. With the PS2, backward compatibility guaranteed that anyone buying one early on had hundreds of games they could buy for it right from the start. Clearly MS was banking on the idea that prospective 360 buyers have a lot more disposable income or something.

It also makes me wonder how many XBOX owners traded in their XBOX (for $20 or so at EBGames, I'm sure) on the promise of the 360 being backward-compatible.

EDIT:
DonMarco wrote:
How often do you break out your DS and say "dammit, that's right, I can't play Dragon Warrior III on this".

More often than you might guess, actually.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't have bought an sp if it couldn't play gameboy and gameboy color games. i havn't "upgraded" to a micro because of this. (also because it's very very tiny and i already have a gameboy.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really should have gone all or nothing on this. I have quite a few Xbox games that work amazingly well on the 360. I have more that don't work at all or work with some serious glitches.

Who has the room in their entertainment center and a switchbox that can handle both the 360 and the original Xbox along with all the other consoles and other devices they have? Not me.

It's getting increasingly harder to find a new Xbox. If you want optical audio out, you're pretty much screwed as the Microsoft HD-Pack has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth. The cheap 3rd party ones they sell on ebay have some serious video quality issues.

Marco, your statement about Dragon Warrior III doesn't really apply in this case. We have brand NEW Xbox games coming out every week that don't work with the 360.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&q Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
What the hell is up with this? As an Xbox 360 owner I know that I'm concerned about backwards compatibility. I know that every time I go into the store I'm more tempted to buy the Playstation 2 version of a game instead of the Xbox version simply because it would mean that I no longer have to keep that hunking black box under my TV. I really don't understand how backwards compatibility isn't a priority for them, but releasing classic games on Xbox Live arcade is. There's some sort of dichotomy there.

There's no money in backwards emulation. Why will anyone buy what they can play for free if they already own it? Like Capcom Collections or Midway Greatest Arcade Hits? Suprisingly, Final Fantasy VII get $40+ on eBay. Which is great and all, but Sony/Squenix makes no money there. If there was a PSP and PS3 port for $30 would people buy that instead? You don't get a cumbersome disc or instructions or shit like that. But, hey, it's the age of digital distribution and iTunes and worthless handouts like such.

Wes, if you think that making the 360 backwards compatible was Microsoft's intention from the beginning, well I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. It's certianly capable, but not compatible.
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games I'd like to try on X-Box (as a PS2/GC owner): Oddworld Stranger's Wrath ?, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Galleon. Call of Cthulu. So I'm not buying an Xbox / 360 just yet.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
There's no money in backwards emulation.

Are you blind? Go to Best Buy. Stare at the shelves. How much space is devoted to the Xbox? Yes, it's blatantly obvious that Microsoft is trying their hardest to kill off the Xbox, but for now they're still making money off of its games, and they'd be making a lot more if people could buy them for their 360s.

Yesterday I almost bought Indigo Prophesy, but I didn't. You know why? Because I knew that since I'd have to go hook up my Xbox to play it I probably never would.

I have a friend who only has a 360. He ended up buying Black a few weeks ago when it was added to the BC list, but he didn't before then because he couldn't have played it.

The big fallacy in your Dragon Warrior and FFVII examples is that new (not used) Xbox games are still readily available on store shelves, with new games coming out weekly. It's getting harder and harder to be able to play these. It's actively losing Microsoft money and making their new system less appealing.

Peter Moore can tell me I don't want backwards compatibility until he's blue in the face, but it won't stop me from sliding my Castlevania disc in the system every few months in hopes that it might actually work this time.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they're stopping now?

Pity, since the last time I checked, NONE of the Xbox games I own were featured on the compatibility list.

The fact that I don't own even a single one of their BC games, highlights the difference between me and teir core target audience regarding the 360. And in turn, if you follow this logic, you can assume that the 360 is not only not targeted at me, but that many if not most of the future released games are also unlikely to appeal to me. Perhaps.

I still find the 360 more promising that the PS3, but this is annoying if they're just giving it up now.

I thought they promised at one point to make all Xbox games BC? (I could be mistaken though)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't part of the reasoning behind the naming of the 360 ... because of how it would be backwards compatable?

Anyways, I finally just bought a used GBC that I can just beat to hell for dirt cheap because I have never liked how they look on the GBA/SP. But I know when I bought my GBA I did so to play the couple GBC games I was still playing and to get Castlevania. When I got my PS2 it was also used to play PS1 games I was working on.

I knew there was no way the Gamecube was going to play anything from the previous generation, but the important thing is that I never expected it to. Microsoft on the other hand... well for a long time they were saying 100% BACKWARD COMPATABLE!!!!! Then they moved on to saying: Well... were having a few problems. Futher down the road they have basically said "fuck it, fuck them, (fuck us!)."

Here is a quote from Xbox 360 Uncloaked:

Quote:
Of all the different debates going on within the XIG group, Reid zeroed in on the issue of backward compatibility as extremely important for marketing purposes. His boss, Mitch Koch, didn’t need any convincing on that subject.
“The consumer market research listed the things that were important, and the backward compatibility was there,” Koch said

Microsoft fucking knows, they are trying to put a spin on it that no one cares.

simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, it's all pretty simple:

Q) How many new retail copies of Panzer Dragoon Orta sell today, leaving Microsoft with a reason to spend money to work out compatibility for it?
A) 0

I'm sure they know their own financials well enough to make a decision on whether or not patching these games will make them money. Also, they know that most folks boycotting the 360 because of this particular issue will change their minds and buy one as soon as a game or two to their taste comes out for it.

All Moore is doing here is making blanket marketing statements to shift general public perception of the issue. Remember folks, if you say something over and over, it must be true.

On the flip side, I myself resisted buying an xbox cause there were only 5 games I wanted to play on it, and the PS2 release of Outrun 2006 stole most of that thunder anyway. I'd be more likely to get a 360 if any of those 5 were supported (I guess JSRF might be? Not the others), but even if they were I can recognize that I'm not the target market here, and most of the juicy 360 stuff (and by that I mean Bioshock and maybe Prey) is hitting the PC anyway. I can't justify a $400 purchase just for 5 titles over the entire lifespan of a system- that's essentially a cost of ~$140 a game, and just not worth it to me.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSRF isn't, and that was one of the games that I really wanted to play.

Seriously, if the 360 was backwards compatible, I'd have adopted it as my "primary" system and would have spent money to reflect that. I'd have a Live subscription, a couple of full-price 360 games (Oblivion and DoA4, for instance), half a dozen Live Arcade games and various overpriced peripherals. I'd have spent over £400 by now, not including the cost of the xbox games I wanted in the first place.

Because it's not backwards compatible, I've spent about £100 on a load of second-hand xbox hardware, and will be spending the money I saved on a Wii this Christmas. Instead of getting Oblivion and DoA4, I'll just make do with Morrowind and DoA2U. And I don't have a Live subscription (yet) because it's just not as integral as it is on the 360.

To me, it's not about letting you play games you already own, but letting you play games for the system you didn't buy last time.

Edit: And, coincidentally, I'm currently watching over an eBay auction of Panzer Dragoon Orta and preparing to bidsnipe it in about an hour's time.
Roam Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Yesterday I almost bought Indigo Prophesy, but I didn't. You know why? Because I knew that since I'd have to go hook up my Xbox to play it I probably never would.

That sounds like a selling point to me! "XBox 360: Because, really, you shouldn't spend that $20 on Indigo Prophecy anyway."*

Personally, I don't really see backwards compatibility being an issue for me because, aside from the fact that I'm unlikely to buy a 360 to begin with, softmodding an XBox would still keep it useful enough for me to consider letting it stay hooked up. Admittedly, it's pretty ridiculous to claim that backwards compatibility is a non-factor in the market at this point, but it's hardly the most boldfaced lie to come out of Microsoft's PR department in recent history, so I'm not really too worked up about it.

* Still bitter about the necrophilia and the robot grandma.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My decision to buy or not buy a 360 depended entirely on its backwards compatability heretofore from the system launch. By heretofore, I mean until Microsoft made some sober predictory statement about it; doesn't look like there's going to be one.

So, I guess I'll wait until it's $200 new with a hard drive.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Are you blind? Go to Best Buy. Stare at the shelves. How much space is devoted to the Xbox? Yes, it's blatantly obvious that Microsoft is trying their hardest to kill off the Xbox, but for now they're still making money off of its games, and they'd be making a lot more if people could buy them for their 360s.

I work in EB Games. I stare at shelves all day. Check out the number of Xbox games still slated to hit stores by the end of 2006. Plenty more games and systems to come. Not nearly the numbers as last year or the year before, but not the 10-15 the GBA has left in 2006.

SuperWes wrote:
The big fallacy in your Dragon Warrior and FFVII examples is that new (not used) Xbox games are still readily available on store shelves, with new games coming out weekly. It's getting harder and harder to be able to play these. It's actively losing Microsoft money and making their new system less appealing.

It's not harder and harder. Microsoft still loses money on systems sold, but that's not the issue. If a potential customer chooses between the $400 360 and the $150 xbox, Microsoft doesn't really care. It's one more name on the list. If they have to choose between a $400 360 and a $130 PS2, that's another matter. Microsoft isn't stopping support for the first system in my eyes until they shut down their main Xbox factory. Not that they want to run it in the ground, but want a cheaper alternative to the 360 and a system to challange the PS2.

So, great, 200+ Xbox games work on the 360. So what? Do you want all of them and why? How many Xbox games could you possibly want to play down the road? You can throw out names like Otogi, Shenmue II, Indigo Prophecy, etc. Peter Moore seems pretty satisfied so far with the results. It's an ongoing process to add more games to the list:

Quote:
Q: Are you intentionally trying to keep a game off the list because you want us to buy the Xbox 360 version?

A: Not at all. Our goal remains to get every game to be backward compatible. The only things influencing what games we're working on are how popular the title is, and how easy it is to make backward compatible. Several original Xbox games on the list already have Xbox 360 counterparts.

So I don't know exactly what you are pissed about, SuperWes. Yes, not all the games are working, but they will some point down the road. Yes, Peter Moore has an arrogant way of congradulating himself for the hard work of dedicated teams of testers and programmers. Yes, Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleball isn't on the lit boo hoo hoo. Yes, you still need to keep your Xbox plugged in for some newer games.

How about looking on the bright side of things?
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore said they would feel good making 200-300 games backwards compatible. There are already 207 that are right now, so when's the next batch coming? Did I miss a list of upcoming titles that would work or something?

At Qt3 it was mentioned a while back that the team took a break for a bit, but they are apparently back at work. I guess that makes sense if they have another 100 titles to offer up. I would've hoped for more. I would prefer an entire shelf not having to be devoted to the rotund MS brothers.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
I work in EB Games. I stare at shelves all day. Check out the number of Xbox games still slated to hit stores by the end of 2006. Plenty more games and systems to come. Not nearly the numbers as last year or the year before, but not the 10-15 the GBA has left in 2006.

How can both of these things be true? Wouldn't there be money in selling these games to Xbox 360 owners as well as original Xbox owners? That's what I don't understand.

DonMarco wrote:
Wes, if you think that making the 360 backwards compatible was Microsoft's intention from the beginning, well I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. It's certianly capable, but not compatible.

Got some quotes for you then:

David Hufford, Microsoft Xbox group product manager wrote:
"Backward-compatibility is not the reason people buy a new system. The perception is that it is significant. We've put all our energy into new titles, but since our consumers have asked for it...we've made it a goal to make all titles backward-compatible."

Xbox PR manager Michael Wolf wrote:
"At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games. Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new 'version' - your original games will work on Xbox 360."

Reading those it certainly sounds like Microsoft was hoping to have every game available through BC. This is in direct opposition to what Peter Moore said.

DonMarco wrote:
Microsoft isn't stopping support for the first system in my eyes until they shut down their main Xbox factory.

So what you're saying is that they've stopped supporting the system, right? Because when I go to www.ebworld.com or www.gamestop.com the only Xbox systems I see available are refurbished ones. This is different from back in March, when the only systems they offered were actually an increase in price over the core system. So yes. The Xbox is dying. You can't buy a new Xbox from the largest games retailer in the country and you can't play original Xbox games on their updated model because of half-assed backwards compatibility. I took the liberty of looking up Xbox systems at Amazon as well, and yeah you can buy a new Xbox, but only if you pay $179.99 for the system with Forza Motorsports. This is $10 more than what it would cost to buy the system without any games and then buy Forza seprately. But yeah, you're right. Microsoft is in no way trying to kill off the Xbox...

DonMarco wrote:
So, great, 200+ Xbox games work on the 360. So what? Do you want all of them and why? How many Xbox games could you possibly want to play down the road? You can throw out names like Otogi, Shenmue II, Indigo Prophecy, etc.

213 games were announced during the first run of backwards compatibility. There are now 207 games that work with backwards compatibility. Has anyone else noticed that the list has actually shrunk by 6 games since it was first announced? What's up with that? Does this show a dedicated commitment to backwards compatibility to anyone? Couldn't they at least add one game every two weeks instead of removing one every month?

Oh! I should also point out that the Japanese backwards compatiblity list includes a total of 31 games now, a total of 10 of which were made by actual Japanese people? Why wasn't there a bigger focus on getting the Japanese Xbox games on there so the few Xbox 360 owners in Japan could see what they might have been missing when they totally disregarded the Xbox the first time around? But I really don't want to get into that again.

DonMarco wrote:
Peter Moore seems pretty satisfied so far with the results. It's an ongoing process to add more games to the list.

If you read the interview closer he also kind of implies that they're pretty much done adding games to the list. There never seemed to be a focus on this area in the past and there certainly isn't one there now.

DonMarco wrote:
So I don't know exactly what you are pissed about, SuperWes. Yes, not all the games are working, but they will some point down the road. Yes, Peter Moore has an arrogant way of congradulating himself for the hard work of dedicated teams of testers and programmers. Yes, Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleball isn't on the lit boo hoo hoo. Yes, you still need to keep your Xbox plugged in for some newer games.

It's funny you should use that game as an example. It's the game with the biggest week-of-release week sales of any Xbox game ever released in Japan. Knowing that the demand was there in Japan, why wasn't it placed on a higher priority?

My biggest issue is really that Microsoft always claimed to be working on backwards compatibility but didn't show any evidence, and now that they've gone for such a long time without any updates they're sort of throwing their hands in the air and saying that gamers never really wanted it. Well I want it and I know a lot of other people that do to.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
"At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games. Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new 'version' - your original games will work on Xbox 360."

Has anyone else noticed that the list has actually shrunk by 6 games since it was first announced?

First, the explicit reason to state the "you don't need to purchase a new version" thing was because at one point MS was going to think about a Greatest Hits type line where they would recode games to play on the 360 surpassing the need for emulation. This information was also released as a rumor in the news.

You forgot to mention that there are games on the BC list that don't actually work. Also, of the ones that do a good 60% have major glitches.

I will just say that there are a handful of games that if were backwards compatible I could safely box up my Xbox permanently and be a VERY happy camper, possibly even a MS supporter. I know that MS is not trying to please ME and I am not trying to be selfish, but I am sure that I am not alone. As it is I will probably (when I get a 360) move my Xbox to a different room to play Xbox games in because I don't have enough room on my entertainment center: I need a place for all those non-BC Nintendo/Sega systems.

*BC =/= Birth Control

Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note--I'm certainly not on Microsoft's side, but it is interesting how they are ridiculed for their slow and incomplete progress with the emulation process, while independent emulation projects are lauded for their WIPs because we all know that even a glitchy, functioning emulator is still an amazing feat and a step in the right direction.

Granted, Microsoft is a corporation. Which did make promises. An they do have access to all the technology, unlike the independents (who never cease to amaze me by reverse-engineering the systems) who have none. Then again, they aren't robots. Sure, they made a promise, but give 'em a freaking break.

The entire time I wrote this post, I was shocked to find myself asking people to understand Microsoft's plight. But even though I could care less about Microsoft's little toy, I still think they might be unfairly ridiculed in this case. They are under our vigilant scrutiny, no?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing here is that those independant emulation programs are not trying to sell me anything (well except Magic Engine... but I don't really belive in that project). There is an important distinction to be made there.

Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else feel like Microsoft is making the consumers decisions for them?

They declare the HD era, effectively saying now is the time to get a Hi-Def display. Now, they're telling guys like me that we don't care about something we actually care a whole shitload about? Goddamn; does this qualify as "reactionary" in any way?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Moore said they would feel good making 200-300 games backwards compatible. There are already 207 that are right now, so when's the next batch coming? Did I miss a list of upcoming titles that would work or something?

At Qt3 it was mentioned a while back that the team took a break for a bit, but they are apparently back at work. I guess that makes sense if they have another 100 titles to offer up. I would've hoped for more. I would prefer an entire shelf not having to be devoted to the rotund MS brothers.

The first batch was at the launch, and the second March 2006, or about 3 months off. So anoher should be June or July. Maybe sooner than later if this Moore thing dies down. (It's worth noting that a few games were actually taken off the first batch list with the second.)

SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

How can both of these things be true? Wouldn't there be money in selling these games to Xbox 360 owners as well as original Xbox owners? That's what I don't understand.

Say there were 25+ million Xbox owners out there. To date, maybe 5 million 360s have been sold. Either due to the lack of hardware to sell, or the cost of upgrading or whatever there are plenty of Xbox owners out there with perfectly capable systems. There are games still coming out for the Xbox that have been in development for a while. Games like Scarface, Madden 07 will be big sellers, no matter the console. Even if every 360 owner bought a copy of Madden 07, that wouldn't come close to the number of Xbox owners that would buy it. The market is larger and has 5 years more to grow. Even into next year there will be cross-platform games and more budget Platinum hits released to keep the Xbox alive a bit longer.

SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Got some quotes for you then:

David Hufford, Microsoft Xbox group product manager wrote:
"Backward-compatibility is not the reason people buy a new system. The perception is that it is significant. We've put all our energy into new titles, but since our consumers have asked for it...we've made it a goal to make all titles backward-compatible."

Reading those it certainly sounds like Microsoft was hoping to have every game available through BC. This is in direct opposition to what Peter Moore said.

You're assuming too much. Quote one says "we've made it a goal to make all titles backward-compatible." without giving a deadline. Quote two says "At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games." Top how? How many? Saying Microsoft was hoping to have every game BC is clearly show, without getting into the details because this isn't an exact science. Some games take longer and some games are more popular or important. Some games are too difficult and will be put on the back burner, but they will done eventually.

If anything Peter Moore said was explicitly a lie or fact against this, show me now. Speaking his opinion or what research says is what's going on isn't fact.

SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
Microsoft isn't stopping support for the first system in my eyes until they shut down their main Xbox factory.

So what you're saying is that they've stopped supporting the system, right? Because when I go to www.ebworld.com or www.gamestop.com the only Xbox systems I see available are refurbished ones. This is different from back in March, when the only systems they offered were actually an increase in price over the core system. So yes. The Xbox is dying. You can't buy a new Xbox from the largest games retailer in the country and you can't play original Xbox games on their updated model because of half-assed backwards compatibility. I took the liberty of looking up Xbox systems at Amazon as well, and yeah you can buy a new Xbox, but only if you pay $179.99 for the system with Forza Motorsports. This is $10 more than what it would cost to buy the system without any games and then buy Forza seprately. But yeah, you're right. Microsoft is in no way trying to kill off the Xbox...

Yes. The last time I saw Forza-less Xboxes was back before Christmas. Only this besides the $180 bundle is $130 refurbs, which is the price they've been since the $150 price drop. I'd imagintWhere are you seeing $170 Xboxes for sale? Furthermore, how much MS chooses to make the Xbox is backed by research and focus groups. If they want to keep it bundled with a crappy game and people are still bying them (which they are) then all the more power to them. I don't see this as killing off the system. Hell, it's almost 6 years old by design.

SuperWes wrote:
Oh! I should also point out that the Japanese backwards compatiblity list includes a total of 31 games now, a total of 10 of which were made by actual Japanese people? Why wasn't there a bigger focus on getting the Japanese Xbox games on there so the few Xbox 360 owners in Japan could see what they might have been missing when they totally disregarded the Xbox the first time around? But I really don't want to get into that again.

31? That's 5 more than the actual number of Xbox games that sold over 100k units. GUFFAW! No, seriously, BC is totally not an issue in Japan, trust me.

SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
So I don't know exactly what you are pissed about, SuperWes. Yes, not all the games are working, but they will some point down the road. Yes, Peter Moore has an arrogant way of congradulating himself for the hard work of dedicated teams of testers and programmers. Yes, Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleball isn't on the list boo hoo hoo. Yes, you still need to keep your Xbox plugged in for some newer games.

It's funny you should use that game as an example. It's the game with the biggest week-of-release week sales of any Xbox game ever released in Japan. Knowing that the demand was there in Japan, why wasn't it placed on a higher priority?

You're talking about Xbox of Japan. They're about as effective as three nuns in a volcano at this point and time.

SuperWes wrote:
My biggest issue is really that Microsoft always claimed to be working on backwards compatibility but didn't show any evidence, and now that they've gone for such a long time without any updates they're sort of throwing their hands in the air and saying that gamers never really wanted it. Well I want it and I know a lot of other people that do to.
Define "long" and who the hell is "they"? Peter Moore is glad 200 games have been done. He "implies" they are stopping, without any thought given to what the BC teams have been up to since March.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
Does anyone else feel like Microsoft is making the consumers decisions for them?

Yep. Once I wondered how I would decide which next-gen console to get. Now, Microsoft and Sony have made that decision for me. Wii in November!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
without any thought given to what the BC teams have been up to since March.

According to this, it seems they've been up to about fifteen games to add to the list. At least that what I think it's saying.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PS2 is approaching its last days-- sometimes it doesn't immediately load a game and I need to load it from the menu-- and on rare occasions pop the disc out and reinsert it. So a PS3, given backward compatibility, will replace my dying PS2, just like my PS2 replaced my no longer functioning PS1. If I had to go out and buy a new PS2 to play my 50+ games in addition to buying a PS3 when it comes out, well... let's say that would sour my opinion of Sony somewhat. The PS2's backward compatibility has made me appreciate not having to buy a new PS1 to play all those games again.

Oh well, this is all pretty academic. It's not like I'm likely to buy a 360 ever anyway. Yeah, but I'll definitely be getting a Wii, and probably a PS3.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Yes. The last time I saw Forza-less Xboxes was back before Christmas. Only this besides the $180 bundle is $130 refurbs, which is the price they've been since the $150 price drop. I'd imagintWhere are you seeing $170 Xboxes for sale? Furthermore, how much MS chooses to make the Xbox is backed by research and focus groups. If they want to keep it bundled with a crappy game and people are still bying them (which they are) then all the more power to them. I don't see this as killing off the system. Hell, it's almost 6 years old by design.

Wuh? You said above that the Xbox is dead when they shut down their factory. The fact that you can't buy a new Xbox anymore is pretty good evidence that the Xbox is dead then, don't you think? Doesn't this show that their factory is no longer producing them? I get that people are still buying them, but when they run out of Forza systems people won't be able to buy them anymore and it kinda looks like that's already happened online.

I understand your point. Backwards compatibility isn't going to make Microsoft as much money as the cost of implementing it well. You're right, it probably isn't by itself, but as the comments below have shown, for people who never had an Xbox or have failing Xboxes, BC is often the deciding factor in buying or not buying a 360. In Japan, people who have never had an Xbox constitutes pretty much the entire population. When they buy a 360 for Blue Dragon and/or Sakaguchi's other games (and a few people will) having backwards compatibility will allow them to finally play the older Xbox games that they might have seen in Famitsu. It's a nice selling point.

This would be almost a non-issue if the price of an Xbox was down to $50 or so, but as we've discussed it's actually gone up in price since the 360 came out.

Overall this does little to affect me since I've got both an Xbox and a 360, but it makes me mad because I'm much more fond of my 360 than I ever was of my Xbox, and I'd like to be able to use it for more stuff.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
My PS2 is approaching its last days-- sometimes it doesn't immediately load a game and I need to load it from the menu-- and on rare occasions pop the disc out and reinsert it. So a PS3, given backward compatibility, will replace my dying PS2, just like my PS2 replaced my no longer functioning PS1. If I had to go out and buy a new PS2 to play my 50+ games in addition to buying a PS3 when it comes out, well... let's say that would sour my opinion of Sony somewhat. The PS2's backward compatibility has made me appreciate not having to buy a new PS1 to play all those games again.

So Sony's poor manufacturing practices actually made you feel better about your next purchase? I would say that your ps1 and ps2 should still be working, in which case BC would be a non issue (the same number of consoles would be bought).

Having said that I am pretty disappointed by this interview as I was very close to selling my xbox to fund the purchase of a 360 thinking that more of my games would be playable by now. As someone said earlier I would almost rather have been told that no games would be BC on launch so that my decision would be better informed.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:

You mean like Nintendo's been doing for 20 years?

As for the BC issue: There isn't one, in my eyes. I don't buy a console expecting to be able to play older games on it. I buy one for the new ones. I never buy consoles at launch anyway. I have a PS2 and have never felt compelled to play a PlayStation game on it. Same with my GBA: Never played a Game Boy title on it. I don't feel cheated because my Dreamcast can't run Saturn games. I can't play NES games on my age-old SNES and I could care less. My Nokia mobile phone can't run N-Gage games.

To make it so large an issue, to make it the main focus of why one should buy a console or not, strikes me as being utterly ridiculous. Why are so many PS2 and X-Box owners so desperate to part with their consoles? Are they that horrible? Why are we not looking at what these consoles actually have to offer, instead of hoping for the Next-Gen of returning to gaming's own nostalgic vomit?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vf10a wrote:
So Sony's poor manufacturing practices actually made you feel better about your next purchase? I would say that your ps1 and ps2 should still be working, in which case BC would be a non issue (the same number of consoles would be bought).

Perhaps you feel that way, but my PS1 and PS2 were both launch day purchases. That's nearly 6 years of very heavy use for the PS2 and about 5 years for the PS1. So I don't feel like poor manufacturing practices had anything to do with it. Optical drives have a much shorter lifespan than, for instance, my Atari 2600, which has lasted for over 25 years. Another consideration for buying a new console that doesn't fully replace an earlier generation is that frankly I'm running out of room. I feel that my expectation for a console's lifespan are reasonable, but perhaps you have a different set of considerations.

Also, to announce backward compatibility like Microsoft did, and then basically crap out on it is a lot different from never announcing it at all.
showka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news sucks ass. I was really wanting to bank on the 360, but a big component of all that was that I'd be able to play some of the really cool 360 games I'd missed out on. The idea that Ninja Gaiden Black (which apparently has frame rate drops), Jet Grind Future, Panzer Dragon Ortra, and all those SNK games would eventually be playable made me want to back MS more than Sony in the next generation arms race.

If they hadn't promised backwards compatability, I would not have gotten as excited about the 360. I like the system theoretically, but there's not a single game that would make me excited about owning it. At least, not a 360 game.

I think this argument about hwo you should own all the systems forever because it does the games greater justice is fine as long as you either live in a nice big house or are comfortable enough lugging all that shit around to the end of time. If I had either an X-Box or an X-Box 360 right now, I don't know where I'd put it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
The idea that Ninja Gaiden Black (which apparently has frame rate drops), Jet Grind Future, Panzer Dragon Ortra, and all those SNK games would eventually be playable made me want to back MS more than Sony in the next generation arms race.

Hey, guess what?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
showka wrote:
The idea that Ninja Gaiden Black (which apparently has frame rate drops), Jet Grind Future, Panzer Dragon Ortra, and all those SNK games would eventually be playable made me want to back MS more than Sony in the next generation arms race.

Hey, guess what?

What?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
vf10a wrote:

Perhaps you feel that way, but my PS1 and PS2 were both launch day purchases. That's nearly 6 years of very heavy use for the PS2 and about 5 years for the PS1. So I don't feel like poor manufacturing practices had anything to do with it. Optical drives have a much shorter lifespan than, for instance, my Atari 2600, which has lasted for over 25 years. Another consideration for buying a new console that doesn't fully replace an earlier generation is that frankly I'm running out of room. I feel that my expectation for a console's lifespan are reasonable, but perhaps you have a different set of considerations.

Also, to announce backward compatibility like Microsoft did, and then basically crap out on it is a lot different from never announcing it at all.

No thats fair enough. I've just never had a console crap out on me so I don't really have an accurate scale of how things are supposed to last. Also I hadn't really taken into account any space considerations. However I do believe that sony have been particulary bad with faulty first runs of consoles and such.

My point concerning BC announcement was that I would rather have gone into the purchase not expecting any BC and then been pleasantly suprised that they had got some of my games available than to be fully expecting all my games to be supported at some time in the future (as I thought would be the case based on statements around launch).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage Control!

DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Wuh? You said above that the Xbox is dead when they shut down their factory. The fact that you can't buy a new Xbox anymore is pretty good evidence that the Xbox is dead then, don't you think? Doesn't this show that their factory is no longer producing them? I get that people are still buying them, but when they run out of Forza systems people won't be able to buy them anymore and it kinda looks like that's already happened online.

So there aren't Forza bundles around anymore? Well, that MUST mean the aren't producing systems, by golly. It's not like they could be preparing a new bundled system with Halo 2, Conker's or just a bare-bones package like there used to be. It's a sad day, economically speaking, when demand outwighs production. Unlike every other console sold, its price won't be slashed to get it out of stores. PS1, Saturn, N64, Dreamcasts... Remember when the DCs were like $50 at Circuit City and the games were $10 each? I don't see any of that happening to the Xbox, and quite a few games still planned for the system. Why would Microsoft stop production now? Why would anyone say that the Xbox is dead? Because you can't find them? No, that happens all the time with games, consoles, accessories (like the Intercooler).

SuperWes wrote:
I understand your point. Backwards compatibility isn't going to make Microsoft as much money as the cost of implementing it well. You're right, it probably isn't by itself, but as the comments below have shown, for people who never had an Xbox or have failing Xboxes, BC is often the deciding factor in buying or not buying a 360. In Japan, people who have never had an Xbox constitutes pretty much the entire population. When they buy a 360 for Blue Dragon and/or Sakaguchi's other games (and a few people will) having backwards compatibility will allow them to finally play the older Xbox games that they might have seen in Famitsu. It's a nice selling point.

It's A selling point. Nice, limited, unwelcome, facinating. Whatever.

When I decided to get a 360 it was to buy a new system. I was one of those freaky kind of people that already had a PS2, GameCube, GBA and Xbox. I bought it (in mid-December) pretty much to play DoA4 (bought a week after the system), and it was my only game until three weeks later when I got a used copy of Call of Duty 2. Much of my gaming time was spent with those two, switching between the DoA arcade stick and the silky 360 controller. I'm a sucked for smooth-looking 60 fps anything, and really enjoyed the games. It was two months later when my birthday finally came around and I used soem birthday credit to get a cheapo 29" CRT HDTV. So then, technically, I was a honest participant in the HD era Allard so violently predicted.

Backwards compatibility is nice and all, but a trivial point to me. I don't play any of the Xbox games I have on it. I don't own Halo 2, don't care about HD Shenmue II, don't mind pressing the source select button on my TV remote.

SuperWes wrote:
This would be almost a non-issue if the price of an Xbox was down to $50 or so, but as we've discussed it's actually gone up in price since the 360 came out.

Yeah. But the system hasn't gone down to $50. Games are still the same price as the PS2. Actually finding a new system is harder than finding a see-through blue controller. Funny, I see these as stronger points to get a 360 rather than "Will the 360 play this xbox game or that xbox game?" It's a Goddamned 360!! If it was called "Xbox 2" and promoted itself before and at launch as "Hey, this thing plays all the old Xbox games!" then there would be more to assume. Can the 360 emulate Xbox games? Yes. Will it emulate all the Xbox games? Eventually.

If you want to laugh over backwards compatibility, try listing any pre-XP Windows game that works on a Windows XP machine. Without patching or upgrades. Fresh out of the box.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Gamer's Don't Care About Backwards Compatibility&a Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
If you want to laugh over backwards compatibility, try listing any pre-XP Windows game that works on a Windows XP machine. Without patching or upgrades. Fresh out of the box.

How is this a point? "Xbox 360 doesn't have great backwards compatibility. Something else doesn't have great backwards compatibility. Point!"

And for the record, I care very much about backwards compatibility. Money is tight. If I want to play some games, I'd rather have to purchase as few systems to do it as possible.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Look at the most sucessful backwards compatible systems. The GBA SP, the PS2 and the Nintendo 64. The GBAs (except the Micro) had an extra processor to handle the older GBC/GB games. Without it, you can see how small the GBA could be with the Micro and the DS. The PlayStation 2 wasn't 100% backwards compatible with PS1 games until the slim model release. Finally, the N64 could play almost any SNES and NES game you slapped into it with certian illicit itemsfrom Hong Kong.

Just wait until the PSP, PS3, Wii launch. The first two will be emulating through software, like the 360.

Looks like I'm was mistaken. The PS3 may have some PS2 chips in it after all.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGN wrote:
Of course, including the extra hardware drives up costs. The magazine adds that Sony plans on removing the PS2 chipset from future revisions of the PS3 hardware once it has finished development of a proper software-based PS2 emulator. Such a removal would help bring down costs for the system.

That's just... I don't know. Does this mean you really should buy a first-gen PS3 to ensure the best backwards compatibility? Or do you buy a later-gen one to get the potentially awesome graphical enhancements an emulator could provide?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
That's just... I don't know. Does this mean you really should buy a first-gen PS3 to ensure the best backwards compatibility? Or do you buy a later-gen one to get the potentially awesome graphical enhancements an emulator could provide?

Yea, it seems like a double edged sword. I am going to go with (based on Microsoft's handling of BC) a first gen. Hell, see Microsoft, right here is a bonus reason for me to be an early adopter for the PS3. Though the whole mentality of: "if we need to we will firmware update it!" for the PS3 (as based on the article) makes me pretty nervous as well.

DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
DaleNixon wrote:

Yea, it seems like a double edged sword. I am going to go with (based on Microsoft's handling of BC) a first gen. Hell, see Microsoft, right here is a bonus reason for me to be an early adopter for the PS3. Though the whole mentality of: "if we need to we will firmware update it!" for the PS3 (as based on the article) makes me pretty nervous as well.

Micrsoft and the Xbox only had like 770 games in the US. Sony's released twice that on the PS2, and much more if you count worldwide totals. And what about PS1 emulation?

Dale, if you're getting a PS3 (to keep) wait a while. The bugs and defects are highest with the launches. If you get one to sell, get it at launch. Between hardware and software emulation, go hardware.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Damage Control!

I guess the original damage control wasn't good enough.

heh.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore wrote:
"...My words, 'Nobody is concerned about backwards compat' was misinterpreted as 'Nobody cares about backwards compat.' ... That's not the case at all."

huh?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3207&Itemid=2
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Moore's shitting bricks right about now.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the 21 new games have been revealed!

Items of interest are highlighted in bold!

1. 4x4 EVO 2
2. Amped 2
3. Bad Boys 2
4. Big Mutha Truckers
5. Doom 3
6. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
7. Fatal Frame
8. FlatOut
9. Grabbed by the Ghoulies
10. Intellivision Lives
11. Lego Star Wars
12. Minority Report
13. MLB SlugFest 20-04
14. The Punisher
15. RalliSport Challenge
16. Silent Hill 4: The Room
17. Spawn Armageddon
18. Spider-Man
19. Star Wars Battlefront
20. State of Emergency
21. Zapper

Some of those games are pretty terrible, but hey, I'm surprised to see some of them on there - Silent Hill 4 in particular. I thought that crazy Japanese haxoring was the hardest to emulate.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed Fatal Frame! Too bad I have the PS2 version.

And... SH4 is good, but I really really want SH2 on there.

Also, can someone tell me why I should be interested in Dreamfall? I ... don't really know anything about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: