The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DS lite: how/will you obtain?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: DS lite: how/will you obtain? Reply with quote

Like many of you, I think I'd like to get a DS lite in the near future. However, circumstances have presented americans/australians with a challenge of choice: we are, officially, only set for a White Impact. That is to say, only the pearl (cocaine) white DS lite is set to be released in the U.S. and Australia.

Europe is getting a black one and Nippon gets the two blue brothers.

The cost of a European system is close enough to $200 American and importing a blue one costs $200 anywhere you care to look. As it stands, the U.S. white one will only be $130 when released.

(this is where new games journalism comes in) so, I just got a new job that pays money. Cash, actually. It's exciting. I'd like to know what people are planning for their future DS lite purchases, or, perhaps, what they have already decided. I am - as of now - undecided on what to do. Am I putting to much importance on color? Of course not? Well, what then?

Go on.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold out for matte orange spice, dude.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there seriously going to be an orange spice color? That could make me rethink purchasing a DS Lite...

I for one, am not going to pick one up, at least not right away. I consider it to be a fairly superfluous and even go as far as to call it useless. I love my current DS for several reasons: for one, the heft. It feels like a very, very solid piece of gaming equipment, such that you could bludgeon a friend in the head with it and then sit down for some Animal Crossing: Wild World. The DS Lite just looks too small to be really comfortable, and a little flimsy as well. Another minor point that adds up is the power adaptor. The DS and GBA SP use the same power adaptor, meaning I only have to know where one adaptor is at any given time, and I can even leave it permanently plugged in and simply swap the different systems in to charge when the battery runs low. The other issue I have are reports of GBA games actually sticking out of the bottom of the DS Lite. I'm used to that sort of thing playing Gameboy Color cartridges on my SP, but it's a little ridiculous that an already small GBA cart should protrude from the bottom of the new DS. I like being able to pack mine around with a DS cart and GBA game inside and not have to worry about the GBA game getting battered or tweaked because it doesn't fit fully inside the system.
These are all minor gripes, obviously, but all together the DS Lite's good points don't make me care enough to abandon my current unit. I hear the screens are absolutely brilliant, but, well, the original GBA SP screen never really bothered me that much, and I consider the current DS' screens to be all the brightness I'd want in a handheld. The Lite is supposed to have the GBA Micro buttons and D-pad, and while they are nice, the DS' controls aren't sufficiently horrible enough for me to care about switching. So all in all, I'll probably stick it out until the Lite drops below the $90 mark and/or some more exciting regular colors or Japanese limited editions are released. For now, I'm happy with my DS--I got it on launch day, and am almost compelled to hang onto it for the nostalgia alone.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait it out/import a black one. No way I'm getting a white one, they're so set to get godawfully filthy, the clean freak in me just can't take it.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a black one.

But what I reeeeally want is a nice, purple one. Real purple, not Gamecube "purple".

They won't ever get round to making one, though.

Also, I'd have trouble trading in my DS because it's American, so I don't have the right kind of AC adaptor (I'm using the one from my SP). And having a DS and a DS Lite seems excessive.

Having said that, I've already got a GBA and an SP. And a Gameboy Player for my cube that I rarely use, and a broadband adaptor that I never use. So it's not like it'd be too unusual. I guess if I had one of each, I could try modding my DS...

I might wait until next summer. This summer, I'm bringing my PC back up to spec, and I'll probably be getting a Wii when they come out at the end of the year.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

O.dear.lord.

I have just decided to hold out and pay any cost to receive an orange one.

White was never that tempting. While I should note that the most tempting feature of the DS-L for me is the Dpad. Yes, that, no not the screen or the size, but the Dpad.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dark steve wrote:

O.dear.lord.

I have just decided to hold out and pay any cost to receive an orange one.

White was never that tempting. While I should note that the most tempting feature of the DS-L for me is the Dpad. Yes, that, no not the screen or the size, but the Dpad.

Is there a matte orange one announced? This ain't no DS lite wish thread of superior justice; this is silly, silly reality.

Yeah, everyone's got something they care about for the lite. Personally, I'm attracted to the size of the thing. The original DS is just barely shy of totally portable for me. The lite, with a case I already have, is just small enough. Also the screens are as good as the back-lit GBA that I'm totally in love with.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nintendo will not provide orange products in a timely fashion than nintendo and I are no longer doing business.

Screens look pretty nice, though.

Hey, anyone here who doesn't read IC want an original DS and like 12 games?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocaine white is fine with me. Almost the same white as the Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and iPod. I have a thing for whitey systems and feel they are the superior choice. Yes, there are white variants of the PSP, but that's just a different plastic. Nothing on the inside or outside has changed. Same sleek and scratch-attracting gloss you'll hate to lose. Same boxy and fragile design. Same old too-big screen.

The DS Lite will have a REAL D-pad!!! Better buttons!!! Not to mention it's smaller, lighter and designed to be more useful (like the hinge, mic location, screen brightness selection). Sure, the GBA games stick out, but who really plays them anymore? Especially on a DS when the Micro is so readilly available.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can buy a Japanese DS while I'm over here and play American games on it, right? It's got cross system compatibility, right? I might just do that then . . .
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
I can buy a Japanese DS while I'm over here and play American games on it, right? It's got cross system compatibility, right? I might just do that then . . .

It has no region coding, correct. You can play anygame from anywhere.

GSL

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Hey, anyone here who doesn't read IC want an original DS and like 12 games?

Offtopic: I know you mentioned you don't want to break the set up, but should it come to that, I'm prepared to give Trauma Center a good home.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I'm prepared to give Trauma Center a good home.

As should be all who don't own the game yet!

GSL

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I'm ashamed at the complete lack of Trauma Center here in my home.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

Another minor point that adds up is the power adaptor. The DS and GBA SP use the same power adaptor, meaning I only have to know where one adaptor is at any given time, and I can even leave it permanently plugged in and simply swap the different systems in to charge when the battery runs low. The other issue I have are reports of GBA games actually sticking out of the bottom of the DS Lite.

You could just play your GBA games on the SP?

I'm probably not going to pick up the DS Lite, although the bright screens are really appealing (it's really hard to play my normal one outdoors!). I really like the way mine looks, though. The electric blue model is bangin'.

And Trauma Center made me its bitch like no game I've ever played. I don't know why exactly, but I tried close to 30 times to take that guy's ulcers or whatever out of his intestines, and he just kept dying on me.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
And Trauma Center made me its bitch like no game I've ever played. I don't know why exactly, but I tried close to 30 times to take that guy's ulcers or whatever out of his intestines, and he just kept dying on me.

You need to use the injection more. But, yea, the game hands you your ass in the best way possible.

dark steve

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the mission where you're trying to fix arteries before they explode? The trick is to cut the blockage free but NOT remove anything with the tongs until they're all loose. There's a bit of bleeding still, but it's much more efficient than doing them one by one because you don't have to switch back and forth between instruments .
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wish I still had the game. Damn multiple anyeurisms.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
You could just play your GBA games on the SP?

I certainly could, but doesn't that rather defeat the purpose of HAVING a GBA slot in the DS in the first place? Besides, if I'm off to class or on a long bus trip, I want to pack light, which means only one portable game system, and further means that unless I'm very, very absorbed in a Gameboy Color game, the SP is not the system that's going to be taken along.

Either way, "Just play the GBA games on the SP" is not at all a viable option, and is also missing my point entirely. The Lite is supposed to be a redesigned system, and I thought the purpose of redesigning something was usually to make it better in some fashion, not introduce ugly new flaws. I play GBA games enough on my DS that this is a major point for me, and it's important enough to make me think again about being an early adopter of the DS Lite. I just can't help but feel like going from GBA games sitting flush with the system, to jutting out a quarter of an inch--a quarter of an inch for a tiny cartridge that's only an inch tall in the first place!--is a step backward, and it's certainly not one I'm willing to pay for. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I see it as basically nothing other than a design flaw, and one bordering on intentional at that.
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GBA screen was hard to see
The SP had no headphone socket
The Micro has a smaller screen
The DS is (apparently) large and ugly
The DS Lite doesn't have a deep enough GBA slot

You'd almost think they were doing this on purpose.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I just can't help but feel like going from GBA games sitting flush with the system, to jutting out a quarter of an inch--a quarter of an inch for a tiny cartridge that's only an inch tall in the first place!--is a step backward, and it's certainly not one I'm willing to pay for. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I see it as basically nothing other than a design flaw, and one bordering on intentional at that.

Wait, what the hell?

Does anyone have pictures of this? I was under the impression that it only stuck out like a hair and was hardly noticable.

EDIT: Holy crap. Rubmle pack side by side for regular and lite.

Looks like this is pretty dumb ;_; Oh well, at least I have my micro.

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a very green one to match my shoes. I'm talking evergreen tree colored here. I wish that it would be bundled with the DS Zelda as a special edition or something. Just give me a green one.

Though safety cone orange would also work.

I am still keeping my SP however, I really like playing my GB\GBC color games on it. Though I do pine for a headphone jack sometimes at the bus stop. I don't think I've ever seen one available in any store even though they said it would be.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I really like orange. I have a fair amount of orange shirts, and I need other orange accessories. Anyways! This was the most brainless purchase I have ever made:

Althought it is not quite the same color in person as it is pictured it is still gorgeous. This is what I hope for a DS-L to come in. Anyways, I had my eye on one of these but black in the US and I had almost bought it a couple times, but when I ran across it on accident ... well! I bought it instantly. Now my PSP couldn't look better.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the chances of the DS Lite coming out in Orange or Green are pretty slim. It might happen if Apple starts releasing their iPod in a bunch of different colors, but otherwise don't hold your breath. Nintendo is trying to establish their own brand, and that brand is, "we emulate Apple whenever possible."

Still. I'm holding out for a Mario or Pokemon themed DS Lite. At least one of these is inevitable.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of SP and GBC colors floating around. Just saying.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember how dissappointed I was when after seeing the release of spice GC controllers and no spice system ever surfaced.

I was really holding out on buying a GC until this color came to the US. Too bad it never did.

I still see spice controllers in stores.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

Including a Japanese Spice Orange GBA, Shaper. I had one at one time, but traded it for money.

I sold it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
dark steve wrote:

Including a Japanese Spice Orange GBA, Shaper. I had one at one time, but traded it for money.

Yea, I ran across one in the wild once even. Unfortunatly it was damaged to hell and back.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I may get a DSLite with this yellow leather case. White + Yellow seems like a good combo:

See it in use with white on white Here

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBTAINING DS LITE TOMORROW WILL REPORT WITH PHOTOS!!!!!111oneoneone
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might go into The City tonight, overnight, to pick one up at the Nintendo World store in Rockafeller center tomorrow. If I do this, I'll do a write-up about it for someone, maybe. Launch Coverage and all that. Exciting stuff.

Let's hope they don't remember me.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning a little more toward getting one than I had been. I feel like I'm letting down my reliable old regular DS. But it is showing its age, both on the touch screen and on the shell, which is scuffed and has the silvery paint wearing in multiple places. After all, I use it almost every day.

I guess I don't have to get rid of it, right? Right?

Oh, and the stupid EB near me has them, but won't sell them till tomorrow --THE NERVE!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be getting a DS Lite, but I did get the Japanese version of Bleach DS this morning and am expecting some The Tower SP love in the mail later today. I played around with Bleach for a bit and it's interesting. It's interesting because it combines everything I used to love about gaming and somehow isn't really all that great. I don't know what it is because the game has a little bit of everything and theoretically should be good. It's got every mode under the sun including a story mode, arcade mode, wireless mutliplayer, and wi-fi play. I think the problem is that I've spent so much of my life playing fighting games that anything but the best just aren't worth my time. It's disappointing too since it's Treasure and all and they're among my favorites. Hopefully The Tower will prove to be a little more "worth it".

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
am expecting some The Tower SP love in the mail later today

Yes.

I played and quite enjoyed The Tower SP. I think I also read or daydreamed whilst I played it, because The Tower SP really quite plays itself.

Laying on my couch, I would look over at my scuffed and glowing platinum SP, and I would feel good because my numbers were going up! Then, after my numbers went up for a while, I got to buy more stuff!

Hell yeah.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ wrote:
I would feel good because my numbers were going up!

paging TOLLMASTER to this thread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tower is really good. I'm surprised at how interesting it is to me since I sort of assumed it would just boil down to a lot of waiting. To be clear, it does boil down to a lot of waiting, but like SJ said, there's lots of interesting numbers to watch while that waiting is happening.

I got a movie theatre last night and hoo boy do my tower residents like it. My money's going up really quick now, but just like in real life I'm finding it kinda hard to save...

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I do not like in Sim Tower is that I am limited in the number of elevators I can place. Maybe I stink at "elevator management" but the game doesn't allow me to place anymore shafts. I want to build more floors!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
The only thing I do not like in Sim Tower is that I am limited in the number of elevators I can place. Maybe I stink at "elevator management" but the game doesn't allow me to place anymore shafts. I want to build more floors!

Agreed. I currently have four shafts, two of them for the bottom 10 floors and two of them for the top ten. I'm about to build 10 more floors and I can't decide how to distribute my elevators. The escalators are almost just as big of an issue. I swear the game randomly decides whether or not you can place one.

I made it to four stars last night. Woo!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a DS Lite with Brain Age Academy yesterday. Damn that game. I've spent way too much time playing it, and I can still hear the counter ticking down, mocking me, wanting me to freeze. I will get all golds, damn you, and then you'll shut your damn clock mouth! ... sorry.

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to get to the menu from a game and back to the main menu (where you can select game/chat/etc.) from a submenu? The world of the DS, it's so new to me. It's nice to play a handheld and not have my hand cramp after ten minutes (looking at you, PSP) though.

Weird aside: I really like the adaptor that came with it. I've only been seeing this kind recently - the prongs fold into a slot cut into the side of the adaptor - with a D-Link product a few months back. My new canon and now this came with them as well. My bent Genesis adaptor looks on them with envy.
mechanoriINtransit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure, the colors do bleed a little right? There's some ghosting? It's especially noticeable in something like Super Mario Bros. 3 when there are yellow and black tiles that obviously blend together.

I think my touch screen is misaligned.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning the brightness down a notch. That should clear up your problems. Yea, the red levels are a little high though. Mildly disapointing. I don't recall it looking like this at E3.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done got mine, after much hullaballoo.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected it to be harder to find, but while buying something to unstop my bathroom sink drain yesterday I noticed that my local Target has a million of them.

Nevertheless I ordered mine last week and got it Tuesday. I had been thinking of getting a DS for my wife to play Meteos on some time ago so I figured I'd get a Lite and pass the old DS on to her-- she could care less about size, color, etc.

And... wow! I thought I'd find it interesting (like any new handheld item), but I love my DS Lite! I play it a lot outdoors, and the new backlight levels are a perfect solution to one of the only problems I had with my old DS-- that in sunlight-- even indirect-- the screen looked washed out and was tough to see.

About the only problem I have with it is the relocation of all the buttons, but I'll get used to that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
About the only problem I have with it is the relocation of all the buttons, but I'll get used to that.

The buttons and dpad are so much superior that it makes no difference that they are a little close to the top.

friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I meant the start/select/power buttons. Even more minor than the face buttons.

Oh, and the color seems much nicer on the Lite, but maybe that's me and my new-owner euphoria.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Oh, and the color seems much nicer on the Lite, but maybe that's me and my new-owner euphoria.

The reds are too saturated and there is more blur, but everything else is just more vivid.

Really the only screen that Nintendo has put out that is near perfect is the Micro screen, but there is very minor blur on that too.

mechanoriINtransit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While playing Animal Crossing, I found it very difficult to hit diagonals.

Is this normal?

IT MUST BE PERFECT.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* Once these bills are paid off I can FINALLY buy a DS here in Japan ... then maybe I'll come back and pick up some games in the USA. Games here are too expensive though . . .
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel you. A full-priced DS game here retails at AUD70, which translates to...(assuming the US dollar hangs around the place it has been the past year) USD52.50!
Apparently that's more than what you guys in America pay for a full priced console game. A full-priced console game here is US75.
I am really quite sketchy about getting a white DS Lite, as I am scared it would get dirty. I am not a big fan of white as a colour also. I think I will save some money and import a gorgeous black DS Lite from Europe on the 23rd. Or should I go for a Navy? I think it would work out quite a bit cheaper.
I'm so torn ;_;
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
I really feel you.

I feel asleep!

Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: