The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a luggable gaming party pack: in praise of video projectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: a luggable gaming party pack: in praise of video projectors Reply with quote

Prelude: Geek Evangelism is kind of odd. What is this compulsion to praise your electronic device choices, sell others on it? I guess it's the more people you convince of your consumer wisdom, the smarter you seem, and the more people who are on your side in the marketplace. I suppose this is where fanboyism gets its roots.

That said: I really, really enjoy having a video projector. It was so absolutely the right choice for me... a great big image at a terrific price. Without a huge investment, I have that "home cinema" experience, just with a recycled speaker in each corner, and a picture big enough to feel cinematic.

My love of multiplayer "couch" gaming has driven my television purchases, with a 200 lb behemoth of a tv in 1998, and now this in 2004 or so. If you're going to split the screen 4 ways, it's nice if each subscreen isn't tiny...with the video projector, each subscreen is bigger than many monitors.

Plus, I'm proud of my luggable gaming package:

At top is my backpack o' Game Cube... a Cube, 5 controllers (always pack a spare kids! especially when 2 of your controllers are wavebirds with batteries), a cd folder of 40ish games. (God, apparently I've had more money than sense. Or freetime :-/ ) Anyway, gamecube is a great system for travelling...besides the multiplayer thing it does so well, the first release of the system was a wonderfully designed portable package. It has a carrying handle, for cryin' out loud. It begs to come with.

Beneath is the cyclopean projector, along with 2 computer speakers (with the little audio converter doohickey) and a power squid, the best idea in power outlets in a decade. That photo background is a couch in my mom's basement, this Memorial Day I set it up, and we had 4 player Dr. Mario all evening long.

Video Projectors aren't perfect... you need a room you can make dark, and a lightish clear bit of wall, and they can be fiddley to tweak once you move them...but then again, there aren't many other video technologies with that size image that you could consider moving like that, so there's not much to compare it to. Some room geometries are tougher with it, and it can make a lot of heat. So it ain't the end all be all, but still.

I don't know about the highdef aspect, turns out I'm a size queen with this kind of thing, but I think if I had paid more I'd have something that was compatible with the next gen of HD.

I guess for some gamers there might be a kind of lack of intimacy, but when it's more than 1 player, or it's a cinematic game, it really can't be beat.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My church owns several video projectors and we've used them for various gaming-related events.

I've found that they're not that great for darker games, but brighter games look really good. Maybe it's just their projectors...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what brand projector do you have? i used to have to service quite a few of them throughout college (either being hit, kicked, punched, or having soda poured on them) but otherwise have no experience with projectors for anything fun.

also: brand evangelism exists in some contexts for the same reason we tell people about foods we like or music we enjoy, or authors who are important etc etc and so forth. the style may differ, but a case could be made to describe tgq as a evangelistic platform of sorts.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: a luggable gaming party pack: in praise of video project Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
That said: I really, really enjoy having a video projector. It was so absolutely the right choice for me... a great big image at a terrific price. Without a huge investment, I have that "home cinema" experience, just with a recycled speaker in each corner, and a picture big enough to feel cinematic.

It is very nice, I have one myself. You are right with the darkness thing. When playng SuperSmashBros, the darker stages like the Metroid levels are almost too dark if there is too much light in the room. It's the one fault of any projector, but can be alleviated somewhat with a reflective screen. Currently I use the Optoma HD72. It outputs great video and has a nice contrast. The only thing it is missing is HDMI, which I can live without. I run my PC on it since it does use DVI however. It does HDTV very nicely. I was comparing about threes other at the time and gave the win to this since it uses DLP tech. I am not very fond of LCD. And this one had a higher Lumens rating than a couple of others I was looking at. I don't play in total darkness so the higher the better.

kirkjerk wrote:
Anyway, gamecube is a great system for travelling...besides the multiplayer thing it does so well, the first release of the system was a wonderfully designed portable package. It has a carrying handle, for cryin' out loud. It begs to come with.

Wait a minute, here! Are saying that the new models don't even have the handle anymore? I never realized this. I thought they only took away the component input on it a year or two back. Since when has Nintendo been doing this?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what brand projector do you have? i used to have to service quite a few of them throughout college (either being hit, kicked, punched, or having soda poured on them) but otherwise have no experience with projectors for anything fun.

I use an inFocus model, it came bundled with a pulldown screen at CostCo, which is why I bought it. I'm not particularly loyal to the brand besides that but it seems ok.

Oddly, pulldown screens are harder to find than projectors. I kind of regret this one, because they cheaped out on the material and so it's "widescreen" 16:9 in format, but most of my systems are good ol' TV 4:3...I just wish it would pull down more! I shoulda just projected on the wall, maybe just painting it with that special reflective paint. I've heard Tyvek can be used to make a cheap near perfect screen, but you have to find it w/o the manufacturers name all over it.

I used to have a conspiracy theory that stores like Best Buy et al were purposefully underplaying projectors since they're blatant superiority in terms of screen size and cost efectiveness would cut into the cash cow of expensive plasma screens, but now I see a few more around, though more often in the compuer section than the A/V.

And of course, it's not just games, but movies are a ton of fun with these. My upstairs neighbors have one, every once in a while they have "movies on the roof" parties. (Flat topped apartment building with the access hatch in their apartment.

Hey, random question, I have some trouble in terms of saturation w/ this thing, getting the brightness and contrast right to make out all the detail, especially in bright Nintendo games where sometimes I see more detail momentarily emerge as the scene fads to black. Is that just a hassle w/ projectors, or do some TVs have that kind of issue too?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: a luggable gaming party pack: in praise of video project Reply with quote

Quote:
kirkjerk wrote:
Anyway, gamecube is a great system for travelling...besides the multiplayer thing it does so well, the first release of the system was a wonderfully designed portable package. It has a carrying handle, for cryin' out loud. It begs to come with.

Wait a minute, here! Are saying that the new models don't even have the handle anymore? I never realized this. I thought they only took away the component input on it a year or two back. Since when has Nintendo been doing this?

Nonono, sorry. This is just a bit of fanboyism on my part, pointing out how Nintendo got a nice portable package with the first revision of the GC. Sony makes even smaller consoles, but they don't come out 'til years after the original release, maybe as a way of milking the product line.

AFAIK the handle is and always will be a part of the lunchbox^H^H^H^Hgamecube experience.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just got carried away.

Say does your problem with your projector only happen when you come out of a black screen? Like when you turn on the system or after a death for example?

By color saturation you mean everything gets bright and super colored and then resets back to normal right? Do you want it to stay that way or are you just concerned about it? Also do you know what model you have out of curiosity?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Ok, I just got carried away.

Say does your problem with your projector only happen when you come out of a black screen? Like when you turn on the system or after a death for example?

By color saturation you mean everything gets bright and super colored and then resets back to normal right? Do you want it to stay that way or are you just concerned about it? Also do you know what model you have out of curiosity?

InFocus ScreenPlay 4800.
Actually I have a decent write up from when I bought it, with photos and stuff. I've replaced the tower o' AV w/ a decent looking stand I bought from Walmart.

Color Saturation means w/ bright colored stuff, like bright green grass under bright blue sky, it's tough to make out the detail. When the game fades out the image (like when I die or go to another menu or whatever) a lot of detail jumps into view....and then disappears as the game finishes the fade out.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention that I have always had a secret desire to own a projector. One day I still will, it’s just that I know for standard convention of gaming and movie watching that they don't cut it except under the most precise conditions.

Having said that my wife and I constantly sit outside at night and go camping where we would love to have something like this. The current solution is to use my laptop, which only works just enough to keep me from it.

Also, damn those screens are expensive.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I getcha. No that is not your projector that is causing the problem. Many old NES games did this for whatever reason I cannot comprehend. Must be the way the PPU handles graphics. We had small TVs back then so I don't think we bothered to notice.

It even happens with my HD-CRT on some NES games. Even my computer on boot for a split second. With the bigger screens and all the processing that these devices do for all the signals we put out, we actually notice now. I wouldn't worry about it. For me it's usually bloody obvious to see in dark games like Ghouls n Ghosts, Ninja Gaidens, and Castlevanias.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I should mention that I have always had a secret desire to own a projector. One day I still will, it’s just that I know for standard convention of gaming and movie watching that they don't cut it except under the most precise conditions.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "cut it". I think it tends to look very good under even "difficult" circumstances....any pale flat wall in a dim room seems to do the trick.

Given that I can pay $10 to see a movie, and there's often those weird shimmery bits showing through the screen, or other problems, I'm thinking that for "standard convention", projectors get the short shift.

Or maybe I'm just an image size queen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: